rei

The Alcoholism Thread

+rei+    35453
I live in Canada so our selection is fairly different.
I've heard very good things about Arrogant Bastard Ale, Fat Tire is pretty solid when I had it in Chicago. If you can find any of the Unibroue brews (Maudite, La Fin du Monde, Trois Pistoles) they're amazing.
Hoegaarden is v good if you like witbeers (not everyone does) and should be easy to find, its more a summer drink but if you're in so cal shouldn't matter right?
Innis & Gunn is decent, Hobgoblin is good if you can find it.

I live in Canada so our selection is fairly different.
I've heard very good things about Arrogant Bastard Ale, Fat Tire is pretty solid when I had it in Chicago. If you can find any of the Unibroue brews (Maudite, La Fin du Monde, Trois Pistoles) they're amazing.
Hoegaarden is v good if you like witbeers (not everyone does) and should be easy to find, its more a summer drink but if you're in so cal shouldn't matter right?
Innis & Gunn is decent, Hobgoblin is good if you can find it.

he lives in cali, ideally he shouldn't be drinking any of this because the local scene is so great everywhere in that state. super fresh ipas, barrel-aged sours, super awesome imp stouts. he should be checking out anything he can get his hands on by russian river, the bruery, the lost abbey, alesmith, firestone walker, alpine, etc. so much good.

have you had anything by driftwood or brasserie dieu du ciel ash?

+rei+    35453
Nope, don't drink beer any more.
And he should absolutely be drinking Unibroue regardless of how good the local scene is

i thought you said you drink beer sometimes, or i thought you may have tried them at some point before. anyway, they are both canadian breweries, never have had a chance to try them.

while i agree, you can find unibroue anywhere, he's free to try it at any point. his local scene might not be at his disposal forever. a lot of the better stuff there are a bunch of one-of's, brewery only releases, or stuff that never leaves the area due to self-imposed distribution restrictions.

▲Ɐ▲    3985

Innis & Gunn is decent

they sell innis & gunn in north america? damn. it's hella cheap here and for that i love it
i'm not all that familiar w/the brews mentioned but brewdog & a bunch of smaller houses are big in london
personally the more hops i see the less i'm interested. give me malts or give me death

+rei+    35453
I like IPA but holy fuck the hop chase is just silly

+rei+    35453
Unibroue are amazing drink everything they make but be careful some.of their stuff is 10% abv

I like Newcastle brown ale a lot but it's not like it's legitimately top tier I just love it

don't go to a beer festival to drink unibroue. you can get unibroue anywhere.

of course the main problem is that there really isn't anything special on that entire lineup.

+rei+    35453
Can you get it anywhere now?

»Tygo    14313

Deal. I also have work at 9am the next morning. You probably wont have to pay much. Stupid coworker requesting off for a good reason blocking me from doing so.

+ACP+    34067
17 minutes ago, Lucas. said:

^would buy bc unicorn

No one had posted in this thread in exactly 364 days. You couldn't just wait until the anniversary of the last post to go for the perfect 1 post every year?

• Upvote 1

Lucas.    41
2 hours ago, ACP said:

No one had posted in this thread in exactly 364 days. You couldn't just wait until the anniversary of the last post to go for the perfect 1 post every year?

It felt right to fuck shit up in an alcoholism thread. 

+The Antagonist    1667

Since this is revived - recommendations for good (and relatively cheap+available) beers? I've only really had Guinness which was decent, and some Czech stuff which was really damn good.

generic other alcoholic drinks too I guess

+rei+    35453

Really depends on where you are

The reason hipsters drink Pabst Blue Ribbons because it's not complete shit for a pretty cheap price - it's not amazing, but it "works" and tastes okay enough for very little cash - esp if you're buying tall cans. Just remember if you're downing more than one PBR you need to say that you're white trash and in trouble 

James Ready 5.5 is the golden standard of getting drunk on the cheap on beer in Canada, it tastes pretty good too. 

+rei+    35453

Hoegaarden is a good witbeer that should be available in most places. I'm burned out on wheatbeers but its the 'standard'

in the US, Arrogant Bastard and Fat Tire are both quite good. 

+rei+    35453

Hobgoblin is a great beer - its from the UK you should be able to find it 

Newcastle Brown Ale is apparently chav trash in the UK but it's fucking delicious - you're in the UK, give it a go, I like it a lot 

• Thanks 1

+rei+    35453

Anything made by Unibroue is top of the top tier - especially Maudite, La Fin du Monde, and Trois Pistoles. If you like Hoegaarden, you'll like their Blanche de Chambley too. They're a canadian brewer but i know you can get their stuff in the states - just be careful their stuff is stronger than conventional beer - Maudite means "Damned" and La Fin Du Monde means "The End of the World" and lets just say there's a reason those names were picked

16 hours ago, The Antagonist said:

Since this is revived - recommendations for good (and relatively cheap+available) beers? I've only really had Guinness which was decent, and some Czech stuff which was really damn good.

generic other alcoholic drinks too I guess

What do you like in the beer? Sweet tastes? Bitter tastes? Strong tastes? Mild tastes? Do you like the taste of hop?