Dr. Dark Cloud

Your Guide to Fantasy

This list needs

The Silmarillion - if you can't get through the LOTR trilogy in less than a month, you probably won't finish this. Goes uber in-depth in the mythos.

The Children of Hurin - One of the greatest stories in the entire mythos

anything by H.P. Lovecraft - Of the stuff I have read

- At the Mountains of Madness - great

- The Call of Cthulhu - pretty good

- The Dunwich Horror - pretty good

Sword of Shannara trilogy - I personally haven't read it all.

The Elric Saga series - I personally haven't read it all.

The Wheel of Time series - I personally haven't read it.

Dune series - I haven't personally read it.

Diablo series (easy-medium)

- Legacy of Blood - great book.

- The Black Road - meh

- The Kingdom of Shadow - pretty good

- The Sin War Trilogy - one of my favorite series ever

- Moon of the Spider - great book, introduces prominent characters in The Sin War Trilogy.

Starcraft series (easy-medium)

- Liberty's Crusade - great book

- Shadow of the Xel Naga - pretty good

- Speed of Darkness - meh

- Queen of Blades - pretty good

- Ghost: Nova - one of my favorite books ever

- The Dark Templar trilogy - another of my favorite series ever.

- I, Mengsk - surprisingly one of the most influential novels based on a computer game ever.

Warcraft series (easy-medium)

- Day of the Dragon - great book

- Lord of the Clans - one of my favorite books ever

- The Last Guardian - pretty good

- War of the Ancients trilogy - pretty good

- Rise of the Horde - great book

- Beyond the Dark Portal - pretty good

- Tides of Darkness - pretty good

There are some books in the latter 3 series that I haven't read yet. I'll add them once I read them if you guys want. Sorry this shit is like a year late lol, but I figured why not contribute what I could.

• Downvote 3

SSJ Grumpig    5618

This list needs

The Silmarillion - if you can't get through the LOTR trilogy in less than a month, you probably won't finish this. Goes uber in-depth in the mythos.

both excellent books but i can see how people wouldn't like them

but man, poor turin

Indignation    2854

dark elf trilogy and transitions trilogy by R. A. Salvatore are most certainly tier 1

Just put the whole Drizzt Series by R.A.Salvatore. it's like 22+ epic novels.

This list needs

both excellent books but i can see how people wouldn't like them

but man, poor turin

No doubt, his life sucked. Kinda sad. If i get the shaft in a bad situation, I look at Turin and don't feel so bad lol.

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34402

Scifi != fantasy

Also the starcraft books fucking suck.

Aloth    19

I was actually trying to work my way through a list of fantasy greats and I've recently finished two series that were particularly good. The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist is a really enjoyable read, Magician (which was two books in the US but one here in Europe) is a really exciting tale of interworld conflict and is nothing like your usual sword and sorcery fantasy novel, though it mixes the traditional with the innovative, and it's still timeless despite being published over a decade ago. Whilst Magician can be read as a stand alone novel the direct sequels Silverthorn and A Darkness at Sethannon set up a new trial for some of the less explored characters in Magician and really expands on some of the new concepts brought up in Magician.

The other more standard fantasy series I've recently finished is the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. It features forms of sorcery but under a new unusual name and the powers aren't really wielded like your average mage/wizard/sorcerer would do because it remains an ongoing mystery throughout the series for the protagonist. There's plenty of other action to keep you occupied, the main character begins as a trainee assassin (the more traditional, killing with poison and manipulation, rather than any martial arts display like you've had recently in Brent Weeks The Night Angel Trilogy (which is also a fun read)), but also gets stuck in with his axe when required for the more upfront jobs. This series is definitely a taxing read, and I think it has a definite marmite appeal, certainly by the third book if you haven't really enjoyed the first two it is not worth finishing off because I feel the third book doesn't shine as brightly as the first two.

For those who were captivated or really enjoyed Harry Potter, a recent series that has some comparisons with HP is The Black Magician Trilogy, which also spawned a prequel called The Magician's Apprentice. Whilst the prequel sets up and explains some of the concepts that aren't fully explained in the main trilogy and fills in back story where necessary, the strength of the main trilogy is in the character development and interaction, because the first two books of the trilogy are rather lighthearted overall, there are some dark moments but it is not until the third book you would get what I'd call that "Deathly Hallows" feel, where you know lots of people are going to start dropping dead. Also, the main character is female, it didn't bother me but some people I've recommended the series to often came out and said that they don't enjoy books with female leads when I've described the books. For those who do pick this up and enjoy it, a sequel trilogy is being written, the first book was released this autumn.

So I definitely think the Riftwar Saga and The Farseer Trilogy deserve a place on the list, just so people know about these and get the chance to judge them for themselves.

Pidragon    6

Hmm, maybe add the Drizzt Do'Urden series, written by R.A. Salvatore.  But definitely add Robert Jordan(Wheel of time) and Brandon Sanderson(many series, but look at The Stormlight Archive series.

Pidragon    6

dark elf trilogy and transitions trilogy by R. A. Salvatore are most certainly tier 1

Just put the whole Drizzt Series by R.A.Salvatore. it's like 22+ epic novels.

I enjoyed the first Drizzt series immensely, but the second one, filling out the 21 I believe books, were just kind of meh, ending really badly.