rei

If you need a laptop

Aaron    1983

fuck it im getting 512gb ssd 16gb ram mbp retina 13inch. 

i dont like the idea of having a portable device and then lugging around an external harddrive.

on the RAM side of things, i use 16GB right now in my MBP and i feel as the years progress, OS's (specifically mac OSX) becomes more and more ram fucking heavy.  When I first bought my MBP in 2010, i had to upgrde RAM after 2 years. since its not non-user upgradable I might as well bite the bullet now. 

That seems overboard for a laptop but I don't know your purpose or needs. That is way high though.

I have a BB coupon for 100 off, of course BB probably doesn't hold those requirements. Or try to get into apples student section for a minor discount.

hmmm maybe i have to think again  on the RAM. on my current MBP, it says I'm using 9.6GB out of 16GB. with every OSX iteration,  I've found RAM to be the main issue so I thought 16GB would safeguard me. (when i bought my MBP 13'', it had 4GB + a 500GB HDD with the RAM becoming obsolete) 

I have a 50 inch TV attached to a gaming PC for any heavy/intensive work/movies/gaming. this will NOT be a primary device for anything other than work (word processing, iTunes, occasional steam game, transmission downloading, google chrome, comic reading/watching, storing and transferring ROMs to my 3DS, occasional ibooks, FaceTime, evernote and maybe XBMC if I need a portable HTPC). 

This macbook pro is really for web browsing, playing music, and being portable.  my current 15'' macbook pro is just so big and slightly heavy that moving it around is horrible. I think I've used its "portability" probably 10 times in 3 years. just not worth it for me. i can't just throw it in a bag and go off. I also can't easily go upstairs and down with it. It literally just sits on my desk. 

in terms of space.. i think 512GB is my minimum. I want to store Roms (50GB), music (80GB), a few movies and TV shows (80-100GB), steam/OSX games (20GB) and then possible a windows partition for dolphin (60GB). 

I guess I could get the 256/8GB model if someone could justify it to me. I'm just wary because my last MBP became quickly obsolete and the SSD+extra RAM i put it in could have really just been thrown in earier (and isn't an option this time round cos shits soldered on) 

i actually have no idea what to say to this

what the fuck does this even mean?

I've had my macbook Pro 15 inch for 3 years and due to its size, its been hard to carry around. Therefore its stayed stuck on my desk.

My sister on the other hand has a macbook air and its ridiculously easy for her to throw it into her bag, go to hospital, go to the library with it, and not need to worry about chargers or it taking up too much space in her bag. 

Aaron    1983

Its between 8 and 16GB for me. Can't decide on which. 

My MBP is currently using 10GB of RAM although only about 7GB of that is dedicated to apps. 

Aaron    1983

oh shit i overlooked that.

im stumped now between 13'' and 15''. 

The 15'' just seems like a way better machine in every single way apart from that footprint. The weight doesn't even seem bad. 

However, I'll only be able to afford the 256GB 15''. 

+rei+    35452
maybe you should figure out what you actually need for yourself its not like us with our reasoning and logics are going to sway you
  • Upvote 1

Aaron    1983

I ended up getting the 256GB/16GB RAM MBP 15''. 

Can't go to a smaller screen than my 15''. The weight difference is nearly nothing. This thing is so fucking light. 

All of my music apart from maybe 10 albums will be stored in iTunes match/iCloud. 

I'll Install Civ 5 and FM 2015 on this bitch. Thats about it. Hopefully it will be my super productivity computer to organise my life etc. 

• Upvote 1

MZAAZM    317

Friend looking for a Laptop PC $1200 budget. He mostly plays L.O.L. but wants something that will last few years. Thank you.

TFJ    632

Friend looking for a Laptop PC $1200 budget. He mostly plays L.O.L. but wants something that will last few years. Thank you.

That is very vague.

+rei+    35452

That is very vague.

and covered by the OP

+rei+    35452

Low res screen and bad battery but i mean its cheap neither of those are huge deal breakers

+rei+    35452
31 minutes ago, Fullerene60 said:

Amazon has a deal on chromebooks (200 CDN) rn for black friday. For what you need this should bee good enough-
https://www.amazon.ca/Asus-Chromebook-C202SA-YS01-11-6-Inch-Celeron/dp/B01DBGVB5C/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1480090924&sr=1-2

Cant hearthstone or lol

system he posted would be great for that