rei

If you need a laptop

+rei+    35453

just watch out for collossal overheats.

+rei+    35453

decent specs with horrible design.

Aaron    1983

hey my sister wants a laptop for £500 or below.

main concerns are for it to look really pretty, have decent warantee or w/e incase it breaks. thankssss x

+rei+    35453

take a look at Toshiba - they have affordable pretty laptops

stein_dragon    39

Anyone know what the differences between the March 2010 version of the normal Macbook compared to the September 2010, heard that there were upgrades etc... tried google but no joy.

Just want to know if its worth waiting or if I should just go ahead and buy one anyway

»lo fi    2680

2 laptops I'm looking at (prices are in Australian dollars):

Asus 16" Notebook

• Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz CPU

• DVD Supermulti

• Wireless + Bluetooth + HDMI

• Webcam

500 GB HDD

16" screen

4 GB RAM

Windows 7 Home Premium

$1494

Toshiba Satellite 16" Notebook

• Intel Core 2 Duo P8800

2.66ghz CPU

• DVDRW Supermulti

• Wireless 802.11 A/G/N

500 GB HDD

16" screen

4 GB RAM

Windows 7 Home Premium

$1784

Are either of these any good? Also, would they have HDMI ports? I want to be able to hook it up to my LCD TV etc.

Can it run Crysis on full settings?

+rei+    35453

okay specs but acer make a fairly unreliable product

• Upvote 1

Garbage-Hime    47

Hi guys. In the market for a new laptop but dont know where to start. My budget is probably around <$700 and Im looking for something reliable that can do what the average student would do with a computer, as well as smoothly play high res videos. (1280x720 @ 720p/1080p)

StewpendouS    3

So I've done a little browsing but I've never made a purchase this big before and I'm afraid of buyer's remorse. I've narrowed it down to 3 and any opinions you share will be appreciated.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214190

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246004

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220865

Thanks

+rei+    35453

Lenovo by far

geolink    23

I need a laptop to play League of legends flawlessly as well as multitask with the game on(music, browsing etc) while i travel during the summer break.

under 600 bucks...

can this be done?>

Sage.    844

Looking for a gaming laptop for college.

I'd like to be able to run Starcraft 2, League of Legends, and some other miscellaneous games well, but not necessarily at the highest settings (although that would be nice). I almost always have more than one thing running at once, so it would need to run well with multiple programs open. I'd love to also be able to install Photoshop and a couple of music programs, so the more space for these programs the better. My budget is $1200 right now, but I might be able to get a little bit more. I already have all the programs I will need, so those won't factor into price.

Is it possible to get a good gaming laptop for ~$1200? I'm generally clueless when it comes to this sort of thing.

Syaoran123    1

Sage. - Do you have a company in mind? What screen size would you like to have?

There is this website where one can build custom laptops at very decent prices. Its xoticpc (google it! haha).

The website will show MSI, ASUS, and other such companies.

Alot of the features that you want in the laptop seems more CPU demanding (Intel or AMD) rather than graphics demanding (Intel HD, ATI Radeon, Nvidia Geforce).

I think the Sager NP5165 seems to be a good fit.

With the upgrades to

Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM,

IC Diamond Thermal Compound,

8,192MB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory,

and Intel® Advanced-N 6230. (and then any other upgrades you see fit).

If you are not really into these types of super customized computers, there is always the Alienware M14x and M15x laptops that many of my friends love to game on.

For the M15x I think these are either discontinued or something as I do not see it on their website... well it is 2:30 AM so I guess I am possibly not seeing things clearly :P

You can possibly find these at newegg.com or other such retailers/online retailers.

For M14x

I would recommend doing the

- i7 2630QM

- 1600 MHz 6GB DDR3

and the rest is up to your choice.

Well, I hope this helps and not too late as I see that you posted your post on July 2nd.

• Downvote 1

+rei+    35453

Sage. - Do you have a company in mind? What screen size would you like to have?

There is this website where one can build custom laptops at very decent prices. Its xoticpc (google it! haha).

The website will show MSI, ASUS, and other such companies.

Alot of the features that you want in the laptop seems more CPU demanding (Intel or AMD) rather than graphics demanding (Intel HD, ATI Radeon, Nvidia Geforce).

I think the Sager NP5165 seems to be a good fit.

With the upgrades to

Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM,

IC Diamond Thermal Compound,

8,192MB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory,

and Intel® Advanced-N 6230. (and then any other upgrades you see fit).

If you are not really into these types of super customized computers, there is always the Alienware M14x and M15x laptops that many of my friends love to game on.

For the M15x I think these are either discontinued or something as I do not see it on their website... well it is 2:30 AM so I guess I am possibly not seeing things clearly :P

You can possibly find these at newegg.com or other such retailers/online retailers.

For M14x

I would recommend doing the

- i7 2630QM

- 1600 MHz 6GB DDR3

and the rest is up to your choice.

Well, I hope this helps and not too late as I see that you posted your post on July 2nd.

Stay the FUCK out of my section.

Sage - you can do pretty well for yourself at 1200 - most operative thing you need is a solid GPU if you want to do any gaming. I'll hop on newegg now and find some solid options

• Upvote 1

+rei+    35453

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246003CVF as much as I love lenovo, I'm not sure how much I love the IdeaPad line

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220997

Decent pick. Notably has way better screen res than the Ideapad

• Upvote 1

I have some pretty basic questions. I'm pretty set on getting an mbp, but I'm open to being talked out of it if there are better options. and yeah, I know the air will probably do everything the pro does, so I'm open to change there too, I guess.

this is basically what I'm looking at right now: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC700LL/A?mco=MjIwMTAxNDA

I'm not educated enough to know whether or not this can do everything I expect it to, so:

-is it missing anything "standard" (aka that you'd expect to see or that I'd miss)?

-is there anything extra I should be asking for (like usb ports, more memory, a mouse, a different display, etc)?

-is it powerful enough to play wow/sc2/sims/etc (just one at a time, but I don't know which of these is most taxing so I thought I'd give a range) alright while having multiple browser windows with 20+ tabs open each, multiple media players, potentially torrents going, etc?

-is it going to have any issues with virtualbox/wine while all of the previous shit is going too? (not even sure if that's how it works?)

-would it be better for me to just throw another $300 at a completely new one? alternatively, would I be fine just getting an air or a completely different brand altogether?

sorry if these are completely retarded questions (I'm sure at least one of them is), just trying to make sure I have all of my bases covered!

+rei+    35453

-is it missing anything "standard" (aka that you'd expect to see or that I'd miss)?

No

-is there anything extra I should be asking for (like usb ports, more memory, a mouse, a different display, etc)?

Not really - might want a better graphics adaptor

is it powerful enough to play wow/sc2/sims/etc (just one at a time, but I don't know which of these is most taxing so I thought I'd give a range) alright while having multiple browser windows with 20+ tabs open each, multiple media players, potentially torrents going, etc?

Tough call - the Intel Graphics chip is sort of a bag of ass, but its otherwise powerful. If t he GPU is going to kill you, it'll fuck you on SC2 and sims. the browsers/torrents etc wont matter.

-is it going to have any issues with virtualbox/wine while all of the previous shit is going too? (not even sure if that's how it works?)

You'll take a bit of a performance hit but not a huge one - that said both WoW and SC2 have native mac apps

-would it be better for me to just throw another $300 at a completely new one? alternatively, would I be fine just getting an air or a completely different brand altogether?

You'd be best served by getting the BASE WHITE MACBOOK, It'll fit all your needs better and is cheaper

Either of the macbook airs with 1.86 ghz processors MIGHT fill the niche, I know 2ghz is enough for you but im concened the 140 mhz might pitch a fit on starcraft 2 etc.

• Upvote 2