rei

If you need a laptop

So I need a laptop, looking for a really good one and the obvious choice is the ThinkPad or MacBook Pro (non retina).

I'm a college student in the tech field, computer engineering to be exact. Still in general education so I'm not as educated as you are when it comes to the insides, rei. So when it comes down to it, which machine is best for a college student majoring in computer engineering? I understand both are solid machines and that not much will go wrong with either one, but I might as well ask a pro.

+rei+    34494
lenovo that shit up - a lot of CS programs will make you use windows specific software.

imo the T420 is the most solid thinkpad but its not the sexiest.

Been messing with the website and looking at all the customization I can make. Machine can really be a powerhouse with options for Intel Core i7-3520M Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz), 14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, NVIDIA NVS 5400M Graphics with Optimus Technology, 1GB DDR3 Memory, 8 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM), and 180GB Solid State Drive, SATA3.

That alone makes the price $1,490.72. It gets closer and closer to the MBP retina price lol

+rei+    34494
OS X not being a piece of shit, Apple not being very aggressive with vendor added bloatware, form factor, and the fact that unlike most sub-800 laptops it doesnt have some glaring cooling or battery issue

[quote name='rei' timestamp='1346419659' post='3269183']
lenovo that shit up - a lot of CS programs will make you use windows specific software.

imo the T420 is the most solid thinkpad but its not the sexiest.
[/quote]

u mean CS programs in school?

what about doing computer work out of school? is MBP good for that?

+rei+    34494
yeah its fine, the only things in coditng that are really platform specific are like, custom editors and what not, and theres good ones for every platform

+rei+    34494
100% most important thing for a coder in a laptop might be screen resolution, so i really like the retina mbps

Sage.    757
My mom is looking to buy my sister a gaming laptop for Christmas and wants me to help find one. I know my sister and she's looking to be able to play Skyrim, Minecraft, and some various steam games. The budget she gave was like $500, but that's not set in stone. Any recommendations for laptops at or around that price range that would work? Doesn't need to run anything on max, just needs to be able to run stuff.

+rei+    34494
you're not getting a $500 laptop that can run skyrim.
Buy a desktop (easy to run skyrim on high for $500) or up the budget.

+rei+    34494
looks like a solid enough netbook

PsyKnz    195
Need a new small laptop/netbook. It'll be my travel unit. Price isn't a factor however availability in Australia is. I'm willing to import a unit if the price/spec difference is great enough.

I want to stick to a windows laptop. It's important that the unit doesn't weigh too much since it lives in carry-on luggage bags which often are filled with other things. The unit is mostly used for watching videos and using the internet. It'd be nice to be able to do some gaming on it since it's my main unit for the weeks I'm back in Perth but that's secondary. I have a gaming unit which lives with me at my work site in the desert. I'll regularly remove files from the travel unit so hard drive space isn't that important. I wont go for a unit with a screen smaller than 12". If it has a disk drive it needs to be blu-ray. I'm gunning for something that meets all those requirements and is currently top of the line (or maybe a few months past its release date)..

The unit its replacing is this: [url="http://www.cnet.com.au/asus-eee-pc-1201n-339307181.htm"]http://www.cnet.com....n-339307181.htm[/url]

I've been mostly happy with this for the 3 years I've had it. The short battery life was occasionally a pain in the arse but rarely. However it has always had cooling problems. Those problems are now getting out of control which is why I'm replacing it. I'd like my next unit, if possible, to have decent cooling.

All I'm looking for is to be pointed in the right direction. I'l' wind up doing a bit of research myself anyway. And on that I'd love to know a great website which does laptop/netbook reviews. Googling that returns a lot of chaff.

Cheers for any help.

EDIT: After doing some limited research of my own, and finding that I am heavily drawn towards getting specs that will work for gaming I've got the following 2 laptops in mind: [url="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410368,00.asp?tab=Specs"]http://www.pcmag.com...0.asp?tab=Specs[/url] or [url="http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406473,00.asp?tab=Specs"]http://www.pcmag.com...0.asp?tab=Specs[/url]

Neither of these seem to be available in Australia so importing is looking like a reality.

EDIT 2: After further research I found a store in australia which could do custom notebook builds so now I'm getting this: [url="http://www.logicalblueone.com.au/store/523-horize-w110er-notebook-pc-gaming-ultra-portable-clevo.html"]http://www.logicalblueone.com.au/store/523-horize-w110er-notebook-pc-gaming-ultra-portable-clevo.html[/url] with the following options:

Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3630QM
8gb 1600Mhz Ram
Crucial M4 256GB SSD
Win7 Home Premium 64bit
Intel Advanced-N 6235 Wireless Card + Bluetooth v4
1366x768 Matte Display

+rei+    34494
Remember that if you plan on gaming GPU is the most important component. That said the 650 should be fine.
I'm only leery in that I haven't heard of those brands at all, but they check out spec-wise

PsyKnz    195
[quote name='rei' timestamp='1353324736' post='3328755']
Remember that if you plan on gaming GPU is the most important component. That said the 650 should be fine.
I'm only leery in that I haven't heard of those brands at all, but they check out spec-wise
[/quote]
It looks like some company somewhere builds them (designs them?) and then sells them to smaller companies to brand as their own for their region. All 3 notebooks I mentioned are effectively the same product.As it is I couldn't wait for DGZ advice and just bought anyway.

+rei+    34494
its a good pickup, have fun, play sc2 with me

silentsaiyan    271
Any recommendations on a laptop for a freshman starting college?? i am majoring in tech support so i need an updated laptop
price range is roughly about 300-500

all help is greatly appreciated :]

Malcolm's Multi    1706
[quote name='silentsaiyan' timestamp='1354245074' post='3336059']
Any recommendations on a laptop for a freshman starting college?? i am majoring in tech support so i need an updated laptop
price range is roughly about 300-500

all help is greatly appreciated :]
[/quote]

sharul    0

Hi,

I need a decent laptop for home and the office.

I am a graduate student in statistics so my time is split between reading, word processing, data management, and coding.

What would a good laptop for me be? I don't know if I want to break the $1000 mark because next December my department may be purchasing me a work laptop.

Do you have any suggestions on specs to look for or specific laptops?

I work with large data sets so it will need a good processor and ram obviously. I am really looking for options and recommendations.

I know the thing here is lenovo or MacBooks but even Lenovo has a ton of models to choose from.

+rei+    34494
Its tough to recommend something totally geared for your task as its likely going to be a better system than what your work gives you.

Large data sets is just as much ram and storage - so here's what you need
- 4+ gb ram
- HOPEFULLY you can get a solid state drive but laptops this is a challenge at a respectable price point
- i5+ processor

Look around to see waht you can find with those specs in your price range and ill tell you if there are problems

sharul    0

Alright, thanks.

I will pull together my short list early next week. I have been trolling around other tech websites for advice so I'll bring you what I have found for your feedback. You seem to be the mod with the most.

thanks Rei.

big clit    3449

my current laptop from 2009 is a dell inspiron and its battery life sucks

is this really the best laptop under $800?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+17.3%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Prestige+Silver/7543046.p?id=1218851199437&skuId=7543046