ACP

Modern Format Discussion

+ACP+    33886

Since Modern will be essentially replacing Extended, this format will now be used to discuss Modern.

Ayer    311

I am with Hypergenesis for sure. Being able to drop Progenitus, Angel of Despair, Akroma, Hellkite, or whatever other big guys you have in your hand on turn 2 or 3 (potentially even turn 1 if you go 2nd and open up with gemstone) consistently is way too ridiculous. Because the meta is majoritively Zoo variants (Rubin or Saito) it's' perfect because of how fast you set up while they sit there not knowing how to handle everything. Only bad match up is random stupid blue counter decks because they can negate the hypergenesis when you cascade into it, but sideboarded it's basically autowin as soon as you drop shusher since you have access to him with any of the cascade cards.

+ACP+    33886
I am with Hypergenesis for sure. Being able to drop Progenitus, Angel of Despair, Akroma, Hellkite, or whatever other big guys you have in your hand on turn 2 or 3 (potentially even turn 1 if you go 2nd and open up with gemstone) consistently is way too ridiculous. Because the meta is majoritively Zoo variants (Rubin or Saito) it's' perfect because of how fast you set up while they sit there not knowing how to handle everything. Only bad match up is random stupid blue counter decks because they can negate the hypergenesis when you cascade into it, but sideboarded it's basically autowin as soon as you drop shusher since you have access to him with any of the cascade cards.
You make some good points, but I'd like to mention that overall Hypergenesis had one of the worst records at worlds as an archetype. The deck is simply too fragile. Another words, the deck is a luck-based pile of garbage.

I'd also like to point out that "stupid blue decks" consist of a sizable piece of the meta right now. In any meta, Thopter.dek is going to be the 2nd most popular deck.

All-In-Red is also a horrible matchup. T2 Blood Moon, wanna scoop?

+ACP+    33886

LOL my deck is like 80/20 vs Affinity. I hope that sees a lot of play at my PTQ this weekend.

+ACP+    33886

I was planning on playing my own version of Mid-Range Zoo, but now I'm thinking of switching. Apparently Florida's meta is all Zoo variants. I'd play Scapeshift if I didn't have such terrible luck with that deck. I'll post a list of whatever I decided to play after the PTQ.

+ACP+    33886

I'd play Thopter, but I don't like how you can randomly lose to Gaddock Teeg.

ibGehring+    1568

Zoo, and Thopther.

Dredge is good when no one sees it coming, otherwise it's far to easy to beat.

Scapeshift is complete shit.

+ACP+    33886

Dredge is the hardest deck to play in extended. It's very powerful though. It beats just about everything g1.

Scapeshift is good, but it loses to a lot of the control decks as well as Gaddock Teeg.

Zoo and Thopter are good if you don't mind playing mirrors all day.

+ACP+    33886

We got wrecked at the PTQ today. I went 2-2-1 drop with Faeries, losing to the mirror and Dark Depths. I drew to Thopter.dek. My friend went 0-2 drop with Fast Zoo. I'm probably going to change the deck/side a bit for the next PTQ to improve some of my matchups.

ibGehring+    1568

Why would you use Fae? It's only good match-up is Thoptor and even that is sketchy...

What was the meta/top8 like?