ACP

Modern Format Discussion

1385 posts in this topic

WTF. Fae beats basically every control or combo deck in the game atm. The most popular decks were Zoo (both variants) and Fae. Most of the good players in the Tampa/Orlando area were playing Fae. I didn't stick around to see who topped. It was a 7-round tournament, and one guy I talked to was 5-0-1 with Rubin Zoo when I left. So he topped obv. Don't know what else topped, but I'll find out soon.

I was running the standard list that everyone else is running...

Top8 was 3 Fae, 3 Dark Depths, 1 Zoo, 1 LightningBolt.dek

I was running the standard list that everyone else is running...

Top8 was 3 Fae, 3 Dark Depths, 1 Zoo, 1 LightningBolt.dek

lightningbolt.dek?

Mono Red Burn. It plays Bolts, Rift Bolt, Lava Spike, etc.

3-3 drop at baltimore

I lost to kataki's war mage which is absolute BS. The card is absolutely terrible.

The event was a blast. 10/10 would go again

does anyone have the list for the mono red build, i've been wanting to make a decent mono red for extended season but i still don't know all of the cards :A

3-3 drop at baltimore

I lost to kataki's war mage which is absolute BS. The card is absolutely terrible.

Were you running Affinity? War Mage is a fairly popular side against the deck, although I personally like Ancient Grudge much better

Here you go Bodan... something like this

Creatures: 12

4 Goblin Guide

4 Hellspark Elemental

4 Keldon Marauders

Spells: 28

[4] Lightning Bolt

[4] Lava Spike

[4] Incinerate

[4] Magma Jet

[4] Shrapnel Blast

[4] Rift Bolt

[4] Flames of the Blood Hand

Lands: 20

[4] Great Furnace

[4] Blinkmoth Nexus

[1] Darksteel Citadel

[2] Tettering Peeks

[9] Mountain

3-3 drop at baltimore

Were you running Affinity? War Mage is a fairly popular side against the deck, although I personally like Ancient Grudge much better

The person who was prepping me for the event felt so little abot kataki's war mage he failed to mention it. He thought EVERYONE would be running ancient grudge. I just managed to run into people who can sack it out t1 g3 two rounds in a row.

Allen there playing Spark Elemental now as a 4 of.
Actually most builds are playing Mogg Fanatic over Spark Elemental. Spark Elemental isn't very common in RDW. I happen to like neither, so my build reflects that.

Builds I have seen lately have because the popularity of Tezzerator I do not like the card to be honest but it shows its worth in several match ups. The deck is rather auto pilot not alot of room to outplay anyone with.

Elves seems to be seeing a lot of play again.

I'm using a similar version to Rubin Zoo atm, as well as Thoptor (my favorite deck) but I might give Elves a try. They look sick. Can outrace/overrun everything.

Oh, and the Dark Depths Thoptor combo deck is quite nice too, but idk. Need to test more.

Elves are seeing play? Since when?

Elves don't seem like the best option right now. They get raped by Faeries (which is becoming more popular every day), but they also can have a hard time winning the games where you don't draw Glimpse of Nature.

Thopter doesn't seem like a great option either. None topped the PTQ I attended. It has a bad matchup against Faeries and Fast Zoo, which are both popular.

Rubin Zoo is still good though IMO. It's got decent matchups against everything and has flexible sideboard options.

Elves are/were very underrated. I was gonna play them this weekend...then ppl had to start writing articles about them and drawing attention to the deck. =/

Elves won a PTQ on the weekend, aswell as topping like 3 others where the only people that played them topped.

The deck goes off turn 3 quite consistently.

It's obviously a surprise deck though.

Thoptor is seeing such little play. It's def still a decent deck.

Elves don't go off turn 3 consistently, lol. Even last season (when elves were a much better deck) they didn't go off turn 3 consistently. The deck is decent, but I still don't think it's a great choice for a PTQ.

Thoughts like that make it win the ptqs. I think toptor combo is one of the best decks I would play it if I had the cards I may end up running grixis fae

Thoptor is just too slow, that's its weakness.

Elves was nuts today. Went 6-0. At least once a match it went off on turn 3, if it wasn't turn 3 it was turn 4 or 5 at latest.

Also, the fact it isn't exactly easy to play perfectly detours a lot of people. making a simple misplay, or missing a trigger while you're trying to go off, and you fizzle and die the following turn.

Dark Depths is pretty insane though. I think overall it might be the most powerful deck.

I will give you one thing. You're right that Elf.dek is extremely hard to play (although dredge is even harder). What did you test against Gehring?

I think Fae is the best deck right now tbh Hexmage. topthor combo is pretty amazing though.

I improved my Fae build, and it's been testing really well. The only bad matchup is Fast Zoo, and I'd only put that at 40/60.

The Game Academy is having an extended $500 Cash Tournament soon, so hopefully I'll wreck that. The next PTQ I'll be able to go to is in March I think.

I don't know about online for fae just because of Mono Red and Fast Zoo being relatively cheap even though Scapeshift is quite cheap as well and a lot of people are playing it. In rl though...it will prolly be pretty good as most people will prolly be playing like...Rubin Zoo, Thopter, and Depths which are pretty good matchups.

Extended is too expensive for me to play online. Fast Zoo is not very cheap though, once you factor in Goyfs and the manabase. Mono Red is not that terrible of a matchup for Faeries. It just depends on how many counters you draw. Spellstutter Sprite is amazing in the mono red matchup. Faeries take a dump on 90% of the format.