ACP

Modern Format Discussion

{Yara}    19
Extended is too expensive for me to play online. Fast Zoo is not very cheap though, once you factor in Goyfs and the manabase. Mono Red is not that terrible of a matchup for Faeries. It just depends on how many counters you draw. Spellstutter Sprite is amazing in the mono red matchup. Faeries take a dump on 90% of the format.

Agreed

Extended is too expensive for me to play online. Fast Zoo is not very cheap though, once you factor in Goyfs and the manabase. Mono Red is not that terrible of a matchup for Faeries. It just depends on how many counters you draw. Spellstutter Sprite is amazing in the mono red matchup. Faeries take a dump on 90% of the format.

Just think about the rest of the decks in extended for price wise? then come back to fast zoo.

+ACP+    34068

Most of the other decks of the format are about the same price as Fast Zoo or cheaper. TBH though the only deck that I'd consider "cheap" would be Red. Rubin Zoo is probably the most expensive because of Baneslayers.

Prothico    26

4 Sakura-Tribe Elder

2 Eternal Witness

4 Kitchen Finks

1 Selkie Hedge-Mage

3 Knight of the Reliquary

1 Loxodon Hierarch

1 Shriekmaw

2 Arashi, the Sky Asunder

1 Worm Harvest

1 Engineered Explosives

1 Tormods Crypt

4 Path to Exile

1 Raven's Crime

1 Reclaim

1 Life from the Loam

1 Bant Charm

1 Day of Judgment

1 Wrath of God

4 Gifts Ungiven

1 Primal Command

1 Crime Punishment

3 Misty Rainforest

3 Marsh Flats

2 Verdant Catacombs

1 Hallowed Fountain

1 Godless Shrine

3 Temple Garden

1 Breeding Pool

2 Overgrown Tomb

1 Plains

1 Island

1 Swamp

1 Forest

1 Snow-Covered Forest

1 Academy Ruins

1 Ghost Quarter

Sideboard

1 Dark Depths

1 Extirpate

1 Slippery Bogle

1 Pithing Needle

1 Relic of Progenitus

1 Vampire Hexmage

1 Momentary Blink

4 Bitter Ordeal

1 Bant Charm

1 Worship

2 Night of Souls Betrayal

I may just make it into a Glittering Wish board.

lpfan    0

not sure what form of zoo it is, but I'm thinking of running one I saw that mainboards Blood Moon...ideas?

+ACP+    34068

It's probably going to contain Noble Hierarchs, and a couple more basics than the average zoo. That is all I have to say on this subject.

lpfan    0

I found a list liek 5 min after I posted that. deck's ok, but Blood Moon is like a double-edge sword.

I need to find a way to include it in a mainboard bc it's sooo good right now =(

and all-in red is not an option (hate the deck).

+ACP+    34068
I found a list liek 5 min after I posted that. deck's ok, but Blood Moon is like a double-edge sword.

I need to find a way to include it in a mainboard bc it's sooo good right now =(

and all-in red is not an option (hate the deck).

One option is RG Scapeshift. The deck typically sides Blood Moons, but you could choose to main them instead.

Ayer    311

I took hypergenesis to the PTQ in Los Angeles and went 6-2. I love the deck because it hardcore shits on the Zoo match up. My losses were to 1 All in Red and 1 Thopter Combo. The Thopter Combo guy one because game 3 I went Hypergenesis and he dropped 2 Baneslayer, so I couldn't out race him. I lost to AIR because it really is the worst match up. I pushed to game 3 because I ripped the 2 of Forest game 1. But Game 3 I lost to turn 1 Moon and turn 2 Deus, so I couldn't get the mana going. 95% chance I'm taking hypergenesis to Grand Prix Oakland. If not then a Saito Zoo variant mos def.

I took hypergenesis to the PTQ in Los Angeles and went 6-2. I love the deck because it hardcore shits on the Zoo match up. My losses were to 1 All in Red and 1 Thopter Combo. The Thopter Combo guy one because game 3 I went Hypergenesis and he dropped 2 Baneslayer, so I couldn't out race him. I lost to AIR because it really is the worst match up. I pushed to game 3 because I ripped the 2 of Forest game 1. But Game 3 I lost to turn 1 Moon and turn 2 Deus, so I couldn't get the mana going. 95% chance I'm taking hypergenesis to Grand Prix Oakland. If not then a Saito Zoo variant mos def.

anything that runs chalice of the void and sees it auto-beats you.

anything that successfully runs and sees counters should beat you too.

worst of the tier 1 decks IMO

+ACP+    34068

No one plays Chalice anymore, just sayin.

Hypergenesis is a very fragile deck, which is why I don't play it.

However, people often disregard it as a "bad" deck and therefore aren't prepared for it. It can often be a good meta call. GL at the GP Ayer, let me know how you do.

Ayer    311

@Allen: Honestly, around here people do run chalice..but it's to the point where people are taking out of the mainboard and even the sideboard completely because of the lack of good it does currently. But thanks for the luck :] , I'm gonna for sure need it haha.

@Scruffy: I understand that Hypergenesis isn't very popular because of chalice and counters. But chalice is most definitely losing popularity, to the point where AIR is one of the few decks to still mainboard it for the warrens and even they are starting to take it out. As for the counters I can't say too much, it just depends whether I get the Hypergenesis early or if I can play it off when they tap out. Not too mention the sideboard is huge in Hypergenesis, Ingot Chewer + Putrefy pretty much take care of the Chalice, the Vexing Shusher's make the blue match up even out; because of the fact I can hit it off the cascade cards means I am able to get it out pretty often. We have a pretty good player base down here and I honestly think Hypergenesis is not that bad of a pick. I expect the majority of my rounds to be zoo, easily the best match up, it's just the first couple of rounds that are worrying me. And then AIR is basically whether I can get the Hypergenesis off before they Chalice or draw the forest before the Magus or Moon. I honestly should've just tried for the Grand Prix Trial instead of playing X-1 into X-2 in the PTQ to assure that I won't play less popular stuff.

EvolutionxX    32

Ive been testing Fairies and Dredge quite a bit. Fairies cause I can get the whole deck foiled and Japanese(xD Helps that its a good deck too) and Dredge cause the deck has a insane G1 against most decks(And can beat people G1 and 2 if they dont draw outs). Rubin Zoo is another option I have too(With foil Goyfs....Man I love working at a card shop sometimes). Really like the Punishing Fire+Groves combo right now. Elves is a deck to be careful against though. That deck is powerful and can explode out of no where.

+ACP+    34068

Faeries are looking even more appealing in the current season. It's fairly well known that they're one of the best decks at beating Elves.

@Allen: Honestly, around here people do run chalice..but it's to the point where people are taking out of the mainboard and even the sideboard completely because of the lack of good it does currently. But thanks for the luck :] , I'm gonna for sure need it haha.

@Scruffy: I understand that Hypergenesis isn't very popular because of chalice and counters. But chalice is most definitely losing popularity, to the point where AIR is one of the few decks to still mainboard it for the warrens and even they are starting to take it out. As for the counters I can't say too much, it just depends whether I get the Hypergenesis early or if I can play it off when they tap out. Not too mention the sideboard is huge in Hypergenesis, Ingot Chewer + Putrefy pretty much take care of the Chalice, the Vexing Shusher's make the blue match up even out; because of the fact I can hit it off the cascade cards means I am able to get it out pretty often. We have a pretty good player base down here and I honestly think Hypergenesis is not that bad of a pick. I expect the majority of my rounds to be zoo, easily the best match up, it's just the first couple of rounds that are worrying me. And then AIR is basically whether I can get the Hypergenesis off before they Chalice or draw the forest before the Magus or Moon. I honestly should've just tried for the Grand Prix Trial instead of playing X-1 into X-2 in the PTQ to assure that I won't play less popular stuff.

does your mana base fetch at all?

lpfan    0

Finished 5-2-1 at the San Juan PTQ in Tn this weekend with Elves. both my loses involved me mulling to 5 game 3, so terrible luck screws me in the end.

HeyyQT    48

^ MTG-oh!!

Anyways theres a ptq right by me this weekend and I think I'm going to go for fun. My options are Faeries, Dark Depths, and hypergenises. I'm leaning towards Hypergenises because it takes the least amount of skill and I might be able to sack wins for matches where I am completely out of my skill level for this game :P Anyways I'v read this thread just wondering if someone can summerize hyper's good/bad/even matchups for me just so i know.

lpfan    0

wouldn't run it, my friend who's piloted the deck for going on 3 months or so took it to the PTQ TN and went something like 0-3 drop.

run mystical teachings if you can get the stuff for it, that deck was so boss this weekend, has answers to everything, and teferi rapes this format. I'm trying to build the deck myself...

lpfan    0

Main:

Lands(25)

5 Islands

3 Drowned Catacomb

3 Marsh Flats

2 Celestial Colonnade

2 Hallowed Fountain

2 Watery Grave

2 Mystic Gate

2 Misty Rainforest

1 Scalding Tarn

1 River of Tears

1 Plains

1 Swamp

Creatures(5)

3 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir

1 Crovax, Ascendant Hero

1 Baneslayer Angel

Spells(30)

4 Spell Snare

4 Rune Snag

4 Cryptic Command

4 Mystical Teachings

4 Esper Charm

3 Path to Exile

2 Smother

2 Engineered Explosives

1 Repeal

1 Extirpate

1 Logic Knot

Sideboard:

3 Kitchen Finks

2 Deathmark

1 Crovax, Ascendant Hero

1 Extirpate

1 Doom Blade

1 Fracturing Gust

1 Night of Souls' Betrayal

1 Pact of Negation

1 Pulse of the Fields

1 Ravenous Trap

1 Vendilion Clique

1 Aven Mindcensor

this list came in 2nd at the PTQ this weekend. The guy who ran it said he would cut River of Tears for a Plains, and probably move the maindeck crovax to the side for a 2nd Baneslayer; but otherwise was extremely happy with the deck.

+ACP+    34068
If your good play Tezzerator it has answers and fairies are strong if you have played with them before.
Tezzerator is terrible in this meta. Thopter/Depths is way better.

{Yara}    19

Tezzerator is not terrible in really any meta and the new zoo decks kinda shit on thepths its not an easy match up at all. I have both decks and I prefer Tezzerator most times to many people have to much hate on Thepths. I think its all preference though.

EvolutionxX    32

Only thing about Tezz is the deck is really hard to play. 1 little mistake can cripple your chances of a top. When a player like LSV says that even he had a tough time playing it....You know somethings up.