ACP

Modern Format Discussion

ThatOneGuy    2019

Damn, I actually wasn't so sure they'd unban anything on this list. That's pretty exciting.

Darthflaw    124

list is in

Eye of ugin bites it

Sword of the meek and ancestral visions are unbanned

Thopter control incoming

I feel like that's a really ambitious sentiment. Part of what made thopter foundry and sword so dominant in Extended was the backup combo of DD/Hexmage, which just doesn't exist in Modern. 

Also vision is a lot higher risk when you can't reliably cascade into it. There's no reason to think Eldrazi don't remain playable and possibly even good post-banning, and the processors will just eat a visions out of Exile, not to mention all the hyper aggro strategies in the format that will kill you before you ever take the last suspend counter off the card. 

+Gemstone Mine    2602

I think the main difference that you lose out on between legacy and modern thopter is actually stoneforge/enlightened tutor to fetch the combo pieces.

Also, it doesn't to be as powerful as it was when it dominated extended, extended was a way more powerful format than modern is anyways and it dominated that with dd/hex. It just has to be good enough for modern. Besides, pretty sure it's the last bastion of hope for blue in modern because it's really the only blue deck that does anything even remotely unfair.

It also is the only deck that feels like a natural home for visions because thopter is pretty good at stalling for time to get visions working anyways.

»Relianah    4539

a UW thopter control deck is fine, but between that, lantern and affinity as 3 of the "top" decks, there's going to be a lot of hate running around making all 3 pretty meh

+Gemstone Mine    2602

I definitely don't agree that lantern was a top 3 deck. Not even close. Maybe if eldrazi is still king, but i think the removal of eldrazi does not favor lantern because it makes both makes affinity and therefore affinity hate much better, it increases the amount of abrupt decays rolling around, and the deck is so monstrously hard to pilot correctly that I don't think it was really every a top 3 deck, let alone now that eldrazi has been taken down a peg.

in a vacuum, this probably leaves affinity the best deck in modern, although the usually affinity vs affinity hate battle takes place.

I don't honestly know how good eldrazi will be without eye. It was less about eye itself and more about the density of sol lands, when it goes down to only 4 I'm not really sure it can hack it in modern, especially since they took away the half that essentially fixes your mana.

»Relianah    4539
Didn't say top 3, I said 3 of the top decks, aka a tier 1 deck (which it probably isn't but people will play it)

+Gojira    1732

Yeah unbanning a strong artifact win condition while there are 2 strong artifact decks, means that an ample of hate will be in every sideboard, which should keep all of those decks from being overpowered.

• Upvote 1

»Relianah    4539

Yeah unbanning a strong artifact win condition while there are 2 strong artifact decks, means that an ample of hate will be in every sideboard, which should keep all of those decks from being overpowered.

this is what I was trying to say, yet in a retarded way I guess

+Gemstone Mine    2602

part of me really feels like they should have unbanned bbe tho if they were bringing back vision, bbe + vision is not a very good combo without the deck manipulation brainstorm gives in legacy, but jund feels really bad right now. I feel like everyone is going to be on either blind aggro decks (affinity, naya blitz), combo (infect, grishoalbrand), or midrange blue decks that are playing ancestral visions, alteast at the start. We'll see where this goes, but not looking good for jund.

+Paraliel+    8119

Never mind I am a "thieving speculator" so I had my order refunded lol

Which vendor refunded you?

MuGu Games

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1859

Never mind I am a "thieving speculator" so I had my order refunded lol

lol

This was probably the best banned list I could've asked for. Eldrazi are nerfed, Tron took a hit, and Visions and Sword both promote extending games past turn 4. Huge steps towards fixing a shitty format.

sisicat    172

Yeah too bad Thopter + Sword + Krark-Clan Ironworks is infinite mana + infinite life. There's a good chance they fucked this one up if people want to explore this interaction.

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1859
I'm not scared of a three card artifact based combo tbh. Just as vulnerable, if not more, than Melira combo, and with less searching power.

sisicat    172

I'm not scared of a three card artifact based combo tbh. Just as vulnerable, if not more, than Melira combo, and with less searching power.

That's fair, I still think these unbans was a PR move more than anything. I don't actually think any of these unbans will legitimately do anything in Modern.

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1859
Hard to say, but in general, I disagree. Giving blue a draw 3 just for surviving until turn 4-5 is huge. Previously, games where largely at parity until Snapcaster took over, which didn't always work. Twin was needed to end games. Now blue decks can close out games more reliably.

Ancestral Vision is much less of a free roll than in Legacy (Force of Will, Brainstorm, Shardless Agent), so blue decks do have a real cost to playing it. Remand also exists in Modern, unlike Legacy.

Sword + Thopter I have less faith in, mostly because it needs to find a home. People will build alot of bad decks before a good one is made.