ACP

Modern Format Discussion

+Gemstone Mine    2602

and to no one's great surprise, ancestral visions has done basically nothing. Because as it turns out, killing someone on turn 4 is significantly better than getting an ancestral recall on turn 5.

+Gemstone Mine    2602

and to no one's great surprise, ancestral visions has done basically nothing. Because as it turns out, killing someone on turn 4 is significantly better than getting an ancestral recall on turn 5.

although I am mildly suprised no one has figured out a shell for thopter foundary yet that makes it good, I would have figured that to be the one to show up

»Turkey    1547
7 hours ago, Gemstone Mine said:

although I am mildly suprised no one has figured out a shell for thopter foundary yet that makes it good, I would have figured that to be the one to show up

As it turns out, killing someone on turn 4 is significantly better than making 1/1 Thopters.

• Upvote 3

+Gemstone Mine    2602

well, the theory being that it would be a lot like the deciever end of twin where it stopped you from dying to the blind all ins and you could combo off shortly thereafter, but  I guess it's still slower than that.

on a more random note, I actually kind of like that death's shadow aggro deck I keep seeing around. I don't necessarily think it's a top tier deck, but the fact that it's playable is interesting.

Um hi everyone.  I'm thinking of getting into a new Modern Deck but I'm not sure if I want to go into Thing in the Ice Ascension or go with Doubling Seasoning planeswalker Deck.

I thought I'd ask here for some help deciding.  

I like the control and Synergy of thing in the Ice Ascension with U/W/R and only using stuff that's 3 or less mana.

Then for Doubling season planeswalkers I have the play set of Doubling Season but would have to buy planeswalkers I like the idea of having lots of loyalty counters on something like Tamyio, Jace or Ajani and winning that way. I'm thinking of Bant with Red would be the colors of the deck.

Either way I'd have to probably Spend 400+ Dollars$ to build the decks and Side boards completely.

Please don't murder me about the post e.e

Audioslayne    902
1 hour ago, Jace Beleren said:

Um hi everyone.  I'm thinking of getting into a new Modern Deck but I'm not sure if I want to go into Thing in the Ice Ascension or go with Doubling Seasoning planeswalker Deck.

I thought I'd ask here for some help deciding.  

I like the control and Synergy of thing in the Ice Ascension with U/W/R and only using stuff that's 3 or less mana.

Then for Doubling season planeswalkers I have the play set of Doubling Season but would have to buy planeswalkers I like the idea of having lots of loyalty counters on something like Tamyio, Jace or Ajani and winning that way. I'm thinking of Bant with Red would be the colors of the deck.

Either way I'd have to probably Spend 400+ Dollars$ to build the decks and Side boards completely.

Please don't murder me about the post e.e

What is your goal exactly?  Like are you trying to be as competitive as possible while respecting your budget, or just play something you like to dick around with at fnm?

If you're locked in between those two choices I would go with the ascension deck because it's more of a 'real' deck and your win percentage will likely be better.  That being said most of the core of that will transfer better to the UR Aggro deck (suicide bloo if you will) which while also not an ideal deck I'd say is slightly more competitive around the same pricepoint.

Also a thing to keep in mind with modern is you generally want to be building towards a versatile collection when building decks, so a deck like lantern control, which is a great deck, would be a more poor investment than say the UR deck because at tleast in the UR deck you're getting fetches, shocks, fastlands, aggro creatures like swiftspear etc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Audioslayne said:

What is your goal exactly?  Like are you trying to be as competitive as possible while respecting your budget, or just play something you like to dick around with at fnm?

If you're locked in between those two choices I would go with the ascension deck because it's more of a 'real' deck and your win percentage will likely be better.  That being said most of the core of that will transfer better to the UR Aggro deck (suicide bloo if you will) which while also not an ideal deck I'd say is slightly more competitive around the same pricepoint.

Also a thing to keep in mind with modern is you generally want to be building towards a versatile collection when building decks, so a deck like lantern control, which is a great deck, would be a more poor investment than say the UR deck because at tleast in the UR deck you're getting fetches, shocks, fastlands, aggro creatures like swiftspear etc.

Sorry, forgot to mention it but yea I'm aiming for a competitive build.

Another reason I've considered Thing in the Ice ascension as well is because if I don't end up liking thing in the ice I could possibly try madcap experiment and my split lands can go into that and my Breya Etherium Shaper deck.

Thanks so far for the feedback. For the sake of budget how many of each split would you consider.

I was thinking 2 Sacred Foundery, 1 Arid Mesa, 2 Hallowed Fountain, 2 Steam Vent, 2 Shivan Reef, 1 Battlefield Forge, 2 Flooded Strand, 1 Polluted Delta, 2 Sulfer Falls, 4 Island 4 Mountains. the basic lands count most likely will be lowered not sure.

I would include Scalding Tarn but it's so expensive.

11 hours ago, Audioslayne said:

I wouldn't usually nitpick on something like this, but this thread is dead so let's try to generate some discussion. I'm not sure I'd call the Kiln Fiend deck "not ideal" after the WMC. Three of the top 8 teams decided to play the deck as their Lightning Bolt deck. Panama didn't play a Stomping Ground deck at all, and Australia played a singleton copy with no fetches in Dredge so it's not like it was a huge card base consideration, as both of those teams could've easily slotted in Valakut, or I think even Naya Burn fits into both their lineups. At this point I feel like it's a significantly better version of the Death Shadow deck, you play better creatures, don't pay as much life making Burn pretty free game 1. You're slightly less fucked against interactive decks because of Bedlam Reveller and blue cards / Blood Moon in the sideboard. Thing in the Ice gives you another plan against Dredge, and you gain blue cantrips for consistency so there's less games where you can't find a Battle Rage.

Spirebluff Canal is still new, and looking at MTGO results I wouldn't be surprised to see UR overtake Infect as the creature pump spell deck of the format over the next few months.

Anyway, with that aside, for every established deck, someone has already done one of the most difficult parts of deck construction for you. The typical manabase seems to be something like:

3 Island
4 Flooded Strand

4 Scalding Tarn

1 Mountain

2 Steam Vents

1 Hallowed Fountain

1 Sulfur Falls

1 Sacred Foundry

(1 Polluted Delta)

I got this list by going to mtgtop8.com, searching for decks that had Thing in the Ice and Pyromancer Ascension, selected a bunch of them and hit "compare decks" to get an average of the cards they played. 

As a general rule you can swap out the correct fetches for single color fetches. When your off color is red, you mostly just lose a little matchup equity against decks like Burn for doing so. And since your off color is red and you don't have to worry about Blood Moon, you'll probably want to cut the unfetchable basic mountain from the deck and play either another Sulfur Falls, or a Spirebluff Canal (Since a 9th blue fetch isn't viable on a budget.) Most of the lists I'm finding for this deck are pre-Spirebluff. Post-Kaladesh one guy seems to be putting up results with a version with Spirebluffs that just goes straight UR and plays Cryptics.

4 minutes ago, Bazaar of Baghdad said:

I wouldn't usually nitpick on something like this, but this thread is dead so let's try to generate some discussion. I'm not sure I'd call the Kiln Fiend deck "not ideal" after the WMC. Three of the top 8 teams decided to play the deck as their Lightning Bolt deck. Panama didn't play a Stomping Ground deck at all, and Australia played a singleton copy with no fetches in Dredge so it's not like it was a huge card base consideration, as both of those teams could've easily slotted in Valakut, or I think even Naya Burn fits into both their lineups. At this point I feel like it's a significantly better version of the Death Shadow deck, you play better creatures, don't pay as much life making Burn pretty free game 1. You're slightly less fucked against interactive decks because of Bedlam Reveller and blue cards / Blood Moon in the sideboard. Thing in the Ice gives you another plan against Dredge, and you gain blue cantrips for consistency so there's less games where you can't find a Battle Rage.

Spirebluff Canal is still new, and looking at MTGO results I wouldn't be surprised to see UR overtake Infect as the creature pump spell deck of the format over the next few months.

Anyway, with that aside, for every established deck, someone has already done one of the most difficult parts of deck construction for you. The typical manabase seems to be something like:

3 Island
4 Flooded Strand

4 Scalding Tarn

1 Mountain

2 Steam Vents

1 Hallowed Fountain

1 Sulfur Falls

1 Sacred Foundry

(1 Polluted Delta)

I got this list by going to mtgtop8.com, searching for decks that had Thing in the Ice and Pyromancer Ascension, selected a bunch of them and hit "compare decks" to get an average of the cards they played. 

As a general rule you can swap out the correct fetches for single color fetches. When your off color is red, you mostly just lose a little matchup equity against decks like Burn for doing so. And since your off color is red and you don't have to worry about Blood Moon, you'll probably want to cut the unfetchable basic mountain from the deck and play either another Sulfur Falls, or a Spirebluff Canal (Since a 9th blue fetch isn't viable on a budget.) Most of the lists I'm finding for this deck are pre-Spirebluff. Post-Kaladesh one guy seems to be putting up results with a version with Spirebluffs that just goes straight UR and plays Cryptics.

Hmm alright. I'll look around for some builds.

I was hoping for white to be included as well for Lightning Helix and/or Rest for the Weary and Path to Exile tricks as a side board. I'll check out Spirebluff canal.

Would their be good planeswalkers for thing in the ice ascension? Like Vyrn's prodigy maybe *Shrugs*

Just now, Jace Beleren said:

Hmm alright. I'll look around for some builds.

I was hoping for white to be included as well for Lightning Helix and/or Rest for the Weary and Path to Exile tricks as a side board. I'll check out Spirebluff canal.

Would their be good planeswalkers for thing in the ice ascension? Like Vyrn's prodigy maybe *Shrugs*

The build with white is fine, I was just presenting the other option. I think the deck has fallen out of favor because you can't consistently beat Dredge fast enough, and you're getting hit by all the cards people are boarding for Dredge anyway like Leyline, Rest in Peace, and Relic. 

One of the biggest upsides to a deck like Thing Ascension is that you're bricking all your opponent's Lightning Bolts, playing Vryn's Prodigy makes all their bolts suddenly really good against you. There are no actual planeswalkers you'd want to play, though you can do stuff like board Monastery Mentor or Young Pyromancer, and those guys are basically planeswalkers in that they generate free value every turn.

7 minutes ago, Bazaar of Baghdad said:

The build with white is fine, I was just presenting the other option. I think the deck has fallen out of favor because you can't consistently beat Dredge fast enough, and you're getting hit by all the cards people are boarding for Dredge anyway like Leyline, Rest in Peace, and Relic. 

One of the biggest upsides to a deck like Thing Ascension is that you're bricking all your opponent's Lightning Bolts, playing Vryn's Prodigy makes all their bolts suddenly really good against you. There are no actual planeswalkers you'd want to play, though you can do stuff like board Monastery Mentor or Young Pyromancer, and those guys are basically planeswalkers in that they generate free value every turn.

You gave me a really good idea actually.

What are your thoughts on Myth Realized? I think without effort it could become sizable and possibly a good sideboard option. I'm liking monastery Mentor quite a bit do to the Prowess tokens I'd have to see if I have any from my khans of takir standard days.

You mention Valakut Earlier, is that the mountain that people use in Prime time?

1 hour ago, Jace Beleren said:

You gave me a really good idea actually.

What are your thoughts on Myth Realized? I think without effort it could become sizable and possibly a good sideboard option. I'm liking monastery Mentor quite a bit do to the Prowess tokens I'd have to see if I have any from my khans of takir standard days.

You mention Valakut Earlier, is that the mountain that people use in Prime time?

I really like Myth Realized as a card. I suspect it's not good enough for modern, but it's definitely a testable card. It's really cool that it's a 1 drop that can basically never get bolted, and survives a Thing bounce. I'm not sure what the deck wants is more payoff cards either, Myth is another card that triggers neither Thing nor Ascension, so it's very off plan in that sense. 

Valakut itself isn't a mountain, but yeah, it's what the Primeval Titan / Scapeshift decks do. It's one of the stronger decks in the format, beating up on the fair midrangey decks while maintaining a solid Dredge matchup due to a fast clock (a turn 4.5 goldfish on average), and main deck Angers. 

Audioslayne    902

Someone did a write up on the decks from the WMC and where they thought they stood.   I do agree that UR was a great pick there but I (like whoever wrote the article can't remember) think that it was much more appropriate there simply because it was team unified. 

This meant you were only at worst a 1/3 shot to play against a black midrange strategy.  The UR deck seems to struggle against these much more so than the infect deck does (although it still does tend to struggle as well).  The lack of non damage based protection is the thing that keeps me off UR at the moment.

That being said I think it's one of the best budget friendly decks in the format and would highly recommend that instead of or in addition to the ascension deck.

EDIT: It was Paulos article for CFB

+Gemstone Mine    2602

banned list is out

grave troll and gitaxian probe are gone

idk how to feel. I think the best way to summarize it is that I feel like double standards are being applied everywhere.

grave troll I am generally on board with, dredge was probably too good, but if we are banned list hating out decks that are strong aggro decks that are difficult to interact with before sideboard, but have definitive sideboard hardcounters that everyone is using and thus it falters some, then why are mox opal/inkmoth nexus still legal?

Gitaxian probe I definitely don't like honestly. I feel like in the grand scheme of things it's a good way to hedge their bets vs future deck releases and several current decks, but imo it burns some fair and rising decks like ur thing and death's shadow more than it burns decks that legitimately should not exist in modern. And it definitely does not fix those decks cheating on the 4 turn rule.

I just wish wizards would figure out some updated standards to hold all decks too instead of this piecemeal shit. For a format that was intended to be a four turn format, they are being extremely passive about policing offenders.

49 minutes ago, Gemstone Mine said:

grave troll I am generally on board with, dredge was probably too good, but if we are banned list hating out decks that are strong aggro decks that are difficult to interact with before sideboard, but have definitive sideboard hardcounters that everyone is using and thus it falters some, then why are mox opal/inkmoth nexus still legal?

Seniority.

But really, Dredge had both a much stronger counter-hate plan than Affinity, and way more oppressive to the metagame. The sideboard cards vs. Dredge are only good vs Dredge, unlike Affinity hate cards like Stony Silence, or Ancient Grudge. Your Ravenous Traps and Leyline of the Voids aren't very good against non-Dredge decks. Dredge also singlehandedly removed all the creature based midrange decks from the format, because they can never beat a Conflagrate. With Dredge gone (Well, not really, but in a world where Dredge is actually gone) stuff like the Evolution deck, and various Company decks are worth playing / brewing again. Calling Dredge just a strong aggro deck is a bit misleading, Conflagrate, Darkblast, and Narcomoeba have been the best control cards in Modern in the time since Reunion was printed, you're not (always) racing the aggro / combo matchups, you play the control role just fine.

There's also something to say with not having too many of the hardcounterable decks in the format too, it leans the format a bit too far towards sideboard RPS. It was fine this season because Dredge was, for the most part, keeping Affinity in check, letting everyone else focus more on their Dredge matchup, but in principle I can see why the 2nd archetype that demands sideboard cards is a comparatively larger issue for the format than the first.

49 minutes ago, Gemstone Mine said:

Gitaxian probe I definitely don't like honestly. I feel like in the grand scheme of things it's a good way to hedge their bets vs future deck releases and several current decks, but imo it burns some fair and rising decks like ur thing and death's shadow more than it burns decks that legitimately should not exist in modern. And it definitely does not fix those decks cheating on the 4 turn rule.

I don't think I want to live in a world where the UR thing and Deaths Shadow deck are considered "fair." Is Infect also "fair"? Because they're basically all the same kind of deck, all-in creature combo decks with occasional turn 2, and consistent turn 3 kills. Probe being banned does a lot more than most people think towards preventing turn 4 violations, partially by removing Delve cards from Become Immense, but that's less of an issue than the information denial. Sure you'll still have people strapping on their helmet and going for the turn 3 kills into open mana, but those people are going to get destroyed by variance over a long tournament so who cares? It's so hard to justify an all-in push into an open White, or Red (or now, Black) mana when you don't have the information from Probe.

Is it a perfect solution? Nah, but Probe is one of those cards that doesn't really belong in the game of Magic,  and they don't want to shake the format up too hard after making a pretty major hit to the biggest deck of the format, and printing a set that has big modern implications. 

+Gemstone Mine    2602

pretty sure affinity sideboard hate cards are almost exclusive to affinity. I mean, affinity cards are not quite the complete hoses the graveyard hate cards are, but then again, what else are you really doing with the affinity hate cards besides affinity? I can't see a top tier match-up that you would really be satisfied boarding in the affinity hate cards in during. The dredge cards are in the same boat, you have to get down to the off picks like living end and reanimator to use them in another match-up, but I don't really see the difference in the grand scheme of things between having to sideboard 4 cards exclusively for affinity and 4 cards for dredge other than having to side both in the same format.

Also, removing the creature midrange decks? Pretty sure b/g/x is doing fine as always, and let's be honest here, that's been the last bastion of hope as far as fair creature based mid range decks goes for a while now. That particular ship sank years ago. Pretty sure every other midrange creature deck for a long while have functionally been combo decks masquerading as fair decks.

I'm not going to deny that it was more oppressive than affinity, but I feel like part of the problem with modern as a whole is it's basically a nuke waiting to hit critical mass as far as sideboard rps goes, and wizards has pushed it up to the limit where if another deck comes out that plays sideboard rps it makes the format bad because there are too many of them. So instead of starting to ban out all the sideboard rps decks, they just nuke the newcomer as they step up.

18 minutes ago, Gemstone Mine said:

pretty sure affinity sideboard hate cards are almost exclusive to affinity. I mean, affinity cards are not quite the complete hoses the graveyard hate cards are, but then again, what else are you really doing with the affinity hate cards besides affinity? I can't see a top tier match-up that you would actually board in the affinity hate cards in during. The dredge cards are in the same boat, you have to get down to the off picks like living end and reanimator to use them in another match-up, but I don't really see the difference in the grand scheme of things between having to sideboard 4 cards exclusively for affinity and 4 cards for dredge other than having to side both in the same format.

Stony Silence goes in versus Tron / Lantern, Ancient Grudge goes in against Infect / Lantern, and in general more random brews are going to have Artifacts like Ensnaring Bridge you want to board artifact removal for than will be full-on graveyard combo decks. Affinity hate falls on a scale, depending on what matchups you're worried about. If you're particularly scared of Boggles for some reason, but aren't terrified of Affinity, you can shave some more devoted Affinity cards for Natural State, or Fracturing Gust and probably be fine. Stuff like Engineered Explosives, or Anger of the Gods are solid cards that are good against affinity and improve your matchup, but go in for plenty of matchups

With Dredge you need devoted, powerful slots. You can't just board a few Relics or Angers and expect to get the matchup to parity. Unless you're playing a deck with maindeck hate to begin with like Skred, you probably need cards like Ravenous Trap, Leyline, or Rest in Peace in your board to make your matchup reasonable. 

The major issue there is that they're in the same format. They could've rolled a die as to which deck to hit and the die came up to keep Dredge around, or more likely, they feel Affinity is the more moderny deck, and decided to keep it around.

Also, removing the creature midrange decks? Pretty sure b/g/x is doing fine as always, and let's be honest here, that's been the last bastion of hope as far as fair creature based mid range decks goes for a while now. That particular ship sank years ago. Pretty sure every other midrange creature deck for a long while have functionally been combo decks masquerading as fair decks.

Creature midrange decks, I wouldn't really call Jund/Abzan creature based, though that's definitely debatable. I was more referring to decks like Abzan Company, the Evolution decks people tried to play after Evolution came out, Elves, etc. You could argue the semantics of calling those decks midrange at all, but they're what I was intending to refer to.

I'm not going to deny that it was more oppressive than affinity, but I feel like part of the problem with modern as a whole is it's basically a nuke waiting to hit critical mass as far as sideboard rps goes, and wizards has pushed it up to the limit where if another deck comes out that plays sideboard rps it makes the format bad because there are too many of them. So instead of starting to ban out all the sideboard rps decks, they just nuke the newcomer as they step up.

Possibly, but that's not the worst plan in the world. Banning Affinity is sorta like banning Miracles from Legacy, you could do it, it might even be a net positive for the format, but you wouldn't really be playing Legacy anymore.

+Gemstone Mine    2602

90% of that is just sacred cows though. Legacy is still definitely legacy without miracles, people have just played miracles so long that some people think miracles has to exist. It's not the only control deck in legacy, and it's certainly not the only fair deck. It just is, and I think a lot of people would prefer that miracles take a knock to clear room for other decks. Pretty sure the only reason that miracles hasn't been hit yet is because it's too difficult to knock anything out of it without destroying the deck as whole unless you go to the absurd and start banning literally everything that could be used as a win-con. It has plenty of potential win-cons, you can't really hit its consistency without taking half of legacy down with it, which just leaves banning counter/top which ruins the deck.

Affinity is pretty much the same way, honestly, I think in terms of game balance in the modern format, it's hard to argue that mox opal should be legal, especially since affinity is still in all likelihood a deck with it, people have just gotten so used to affinity being around in it's current iteration that people have just gone deaf with it. I all but promise that if affinity had never existed up until now and we got the current affinity deck, something out of it would be banned post haste.

Also, aren't those chord and evolutions again just combo decks masquerading as fair midrange decks? In that their grand plan is to combo off, they just use good stuff as filler instead of draw power. Elves I would 100% list under combo more so than midrange.

32 minutes ago, Gemstone Mine said:

90% of that is just sacred cows though. Legacy is still definitely legacy without miracles, people have just played miracles so long that some people think miracles has to exist. It's not the only control deck in legacy, and it's certainly not the only fair deck. It just is, and I think a lot of people would prefer that miracles take a knock to clear room for other decks. Pretty sure the only reason that miracles hasn't been hit yet is because it's too difficult to knock anything out of it without destroying the deck as whole unless you go to the absurd and start banning literally everything that could be used as a win-con. It has plenty of potential win-cons, you can't really hit its consistency without taking half of legacy down with it, which just leaves banning counter/top which ruins the deck.

Affinity is pretty much the same way, honestly, I think in terms of game balance in the modern format, it's hard to argue that mox opal should be legal, especially since affinity is still in all likelihood a deck with it, people have just gotten so used to affinity being around in it's current iteration that people have just gone deaf with it. I all but promise that if affinity had never existed up until now and we got the current affinity deck, something out of it would be banned post haste.

I don't disagree with you at all, the root of the issue is that it upsets a large portion of the player base, and Wizards doesn't really want to do that again after the community outcry from the Twin ban. It's the nature of a non-rotating format, it a deck has been legal the whole time it's a lot harder to just remove it from the format 5 years later after you have a solid base of players who are "affinity players." It's less about the overall health of the format, and more about keeping as many people happy as possible. Sometimes those are conflicting goals.

36 minutes ago, Gemstone Mine said:

Also, aren't those chord and evolutions again just combo decks masquerading as fair midrange decks? In that their grand plan is to combo off, they just use good stuff as filler instead of draw power. Elves I would 100% list under combo more so than midrange.

Kinda, it's weird. I'd say Abzan Company/Evolution are more midrange decks with an incidental combo for when your opponent doesn't have any removal, or they greedily tap out. They can win simplified games with good card beatdown just fine, and don't mind trading card for card with the Junds of the world.

Elves is definitely further on the far end of the combo spectrum, I mentioned it because it's one of the "various company" decks I was thinking about with my first post, forgetting the context I was replying to, my bad. 

+Gojira    1741

Affinity is not a deck without Mox opal. You lose speed, an irreplaceable artifact, and colored mana sources. You'll start getting hands that just don't win against anything.

+ACP+    34070

Modern bans were unnecessary, standard bans were unnecessary, but that's old news at this point. The only reason that decks like Infect were considered top tier is because all of the other decks that used to be better than Infect got nerfed themselves.

• Upvote 1

+ACP+    34070

Unban Birthing Pod, Bloodbraid Elf, Chrome Mox, Dig Through Time, Jace the Mind Sculptor, Mental Misstep, Ponder, Preordain, Punishing Fire, Second Sunrise, Seething Song, Splinter Twin, Summer Bloom, Tree of Tales, and Umezawa's Jitte. Print Force of Will in the next standard set. There you go guys, I balanced modern for you.

• Upvote 1

+Gemstone Mine    2602

Well, once you start down this particular road, you really don't have a choice but to keep on going. While I would prefer a mass-unban to bans, it isn't likely to happen

standard I don't play much of,  but from what I understand they didn't have a choice, standard was getting so miserable people stopped playing. So even if the next set might have balanced it, better safe than sorry.