ACP

Modern Format Discussion

+ACP+    34067
3 minutes ago, Gemstone Mine said:

Well, once you start down this particular road, you really don't have a choice but to keep on going. While I would prefer a mass-unban to bans, it isn't likely to happen

standard I don't play much of,  but from what I understand they didn't have a choice, standard was getting so miserable people stopped playing. So even if the next set might have balanced it, better safe than sorry.

Standard was more diverse right now then it was when UW Delver was the best deck. They never banned anything in UW Delver standard. So what's different now?

Of the standard cards that got banned, the only one that I'd be on board with is Smuggler's Copter, as it's literally a 4-of in almost everything. That would leave Aetherworks Marvel a bit OP, but the real problem with that deck is its namesake, not Emrakul. Banning Reflector Mage is just silly however you look at it.

+mmf    23264

what's different now is that magic players are whiny as fuck and a lot of people are playing hearthstone instead of going to standard fnms

• Upvote 1

+ACP+    34067

Standard Bans used to be the type of thing that you'd expect once every 8-10 years. If they're banning cards in standard this lightly, I'd expect it to happen more like every 2-3 years. Magic players just can't stand the concept of a few good decks crushing everything else anymore it seems. Because that used to be the expectation with competitive Magic in general. With people's attitudes today, Pack Rat would only be legal in standard for 2 weeks before people cried enough about it to get it banned.

2 hours ago, ACP said:

Modern bans were unnecessary, standard bans were unnecessary, but that's old news at this point. The only reason that decks like Infect were considered top tier is because all of the other decks that used to be better than Infect got nerfed themselves.

It depends on your ban philosophy obviously, but as someone who's been jamming dredge for the last 4 months almost non-stop, Dredge was definitely a problem in the format. If you look at the decks on mtgtop8 Dredge may only be taking up 8% of the metagame or whatever, but look at the main / side of every other deck in the format. Tron moved from red to white to play Path and side RIP while maining Relics. Burn is siding off-plan cards like Rav Trap, Tormod's Crypt and RIP in hopes of getting to play in game 2/3 vs. Gnaw to the Bone. Affinity is seeing less play / worse results than it basically ever has. Lantern and Ad Naus are 2-3% of the metagame each in part because they have an absurdly strong Dredge matchup. Skred won a fucking GP. The only decks that don't have to play a bunch of on hate in the sideboard are decks that can either ignore Dredge's plan (Lantern, Ad Naus) or can just kill Dredge on turn 3 consistently (Battle Rage / Become Immense decks)

Now if you're of the opinion that all this is fine, and there's no issue with centralizing decks like this, fine. That's a totally reasonable opinion to have. I was against the Twin ban too, but I think there's a big difference between a turn 4 deck that the fair decks can reasonably interact with with regular removal spells, and Dredge.

I don't know much (anything) about standard, but from what I've heard by the people who run a local I go to, standard attendance was down at every level of play, so Wizards felt they had to do something drastic. 

2 hours ago, ACP said:

Unban Birthing Pod, Bloodbraid Elf, Chrome Mox, Dig Through Time, Jace the Mind Sculptor, Mental Misstep, Ponder, Preordain, Punishing Fire, Second Sunrise, Seething Song, Splinter Twin, Summer Bloom, Tree of Tales, and Umezawa's Jitte. Print Force of Will in the next standard set. There you go guys, I balanced modern for you.

I guess you don't like Modern very much? There's a chance that this fixes things, but it's also just opening the floodgates on basically a new format. You can't really predict what effect all this stuff will have (Except Mistep. That card is just miserable.) It's totally changing the format, rather than making minor tweaks. They're already slowly removing cards from the ban list, we got back Ancestral Vision and Sword of the Meek last year, the year before we got Grave-Troll, 2014 yielded Bitterblossom and Wild Nactyl. We'll probably get one or two cards off the list this year too. If you unban powerful cards too much faster you're making huge changes regularly to what is supposed to be a fairly stable format.

+mmf    23264
2 hours ago, Gemstone Mine said:

Well, once you start down this particular road, you really don't have a choice but to keep on going.

i agree. unban deathrite and top too

+ACP+    34067

Mental Misstep is actually the perfect card to balance Modern, and the only reason that anyone thinks otherwise is because their opinion is tainted from Legacy. It gives every deck an easy way to keep fast aggro and combo in check, while control and midrange can actually just not play 1-drops if they want. The reason that Mental Misstep was overpowered in Legacy was because "don't play 1-drops" isn't an option due to the average power level of the format. When every deck plays 16 1-drops, Mental Misstep is just better than Force of Will. In standard, Mental Misstep was barely playable since 1-drops weren't popular enough. Modern balances the two, making Mental Misstep a solid option while not making it an auto 4-of in everything. Modern needs to be completely overhauled to look a lot more like 2008/2009-era extended, where you got to play with some very powerful cards, yet aggro, control, midrange, and combo were all equally playable.

• Downvote 1

+mmf    23264
2 hours ago, Gemstone Mine said:

Well, once you start down this particular road, you really don't have a choice but to keep on going.

19 minutes ago, ACP said:

Mental Misstep is actually the perfect card to balance Modern, and the only reason that anyone thinks otherwise is because their opinion is tainted from Legacy. It gives every deck an easy way to keep fast aggro and combo in check, while control and midrange can actually just not play 1-drops if they want. The reason that Mental Misstep was overpowered in Legacy was because "don't play 1-drops" isn't an option due to the average power level of the format. When every deck plays 16 1-drops, Mental Misstep is just better than Force of Will. In standard, Mental Misstep was barely playable since 1-drops weren't popular enough. Modern balances the two, making Mental Misstep a solid option while not making it an auto 4-of in everything. Modern needs to be completely overhauled to look a lot more like 2008/2009-era extended, where you got to play with some very powerful cards, yet aggro, control, midrange, and combo were all equally playable.

Control and Midrange can not play 1 drops if they want, but all the fast combo decks are going to just play 4 Missteps anyway because all the best removal in the format is 1 mana. It's hard to justify playing Jund without Bolts/discard, or a white deck without Paths, especially with Infect and Burn decks running around the format demanding fast interaction. 

But let's say you don't play Bolt/Path, do you not play Misstep either and just hope to blank opposing missteps entirely? That's reasonable, but I don't think the fast decks mind having some dead cards in their deck very much if you're both gimping your removal suite and not playing any fast interaction. 1 drops may not be as ubiquitous as they are in Legacy, but they're still some of the most important cards in the format, especially for fast unfair matchups. I think you're drastically overestimating how many 1 drops you can trim from a Jund, or Jeskai deck before they become unplayable in the face of Infect.

I will always have a soft spot for Jace the Mana Sculptor. RIP :(

+mmf    23264

deathrite shaman brought players and colors together, all equal under the same roof :(

Schism    982

I know it might be a bit soon and this forum isn't really active anymore but is anyone going to GP Vancouver?