ACP

Modern Format Discussion

~Seal~    143
Try Messenger in Jund, you won't be disappointed.

{Yara}    19
[quote name='~Seal~' timestamp='1332362546' post='3134261']
[/quote]
I tested against with someone online they pretty much lost because it came into play tapped and my giest just kept to keep swinging.

~Seal~    143
[quote name='{Yara}' timestamp='1332370080' post='3134350']
[quote name='~Seal~' timestamp='1332362546' post='3134261']
[/quote]
I tested against with someone online they pretty much lost because it came into play tapped and my giest just kept to keep swinging.
[/quote]

Were they not running Jund Charm?

Oderus Urungus    100
How have the Lavamancers been testing. Ive been playing them and they've only been good in like a few matchups (Delver, Boros, Fae)

~Seal~    143
They are fair. They make Bolts live against Twin and are good against affinity when they don't draw a nutty hand.

{Yara}    19
Scrubbed the ptq so hard, started 2-3 drop, lost round one to a joke merfolk deck. Perfect hands beat my no removal draws g1, g3. Rdw and Past in Flames combo destroyed me, my Bob decided to kill me the turn I had lethal in g1 and g3 guy ripped a ball lighting on me to finish it off Oh well waste of 25. A Grixis twin deck beat out Uwr delver in the finals.

Oderus Urungus    100
Went 5-1-1 at my ptq and came...9th on tiebreakers....another 9th for me (4th ptq 9th) lost to Jund because he cast BB Elf twice every game and I didn't cast any...my draw was in the 1st round against American Delver because he was glacier slow and the judges didn't do anything when I asked them to watch....he also sided Combust in against me...aaaaaanyways, If your playing Jund, give this list a try. I felt pretty much in control most of the day and felt everything was pretty solid.

4 Dark Confidant
4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Tarmogoyf
3 Geralf's Messenger

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Liliana of the Veil
3 Maelstrom Pulse
2 Terminate
2 Jund Charm
2 Thoughtseize

4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Treetop Village
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
4 Twilight Mire
2 Stomping Ground
2 Blood Crypt
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Graven Cairns
2 Swamp
1 Forest

3 Ancient Grudge
3 Sowing Salt
3 Kitchen Finks
2 Obstinate Baloth
2 Surgical Extraction
1 Jund Charm
1 Terminate

~Seal~    143
Hellz yea!!! Reppin the Messengers!

~Seal~    143
[quote name='Oderus Urungus' timestamp='1332882450' post='3139378']
Ya there nuts in the mirror and there better then finks in every non aggro matchup
[/quote]

That's what I've been tellin everybody!

Oderus Urungus    100
[quote name='~Seal~' timestamp='1332882929' post='3139382']
Ya there nuts in the mirror and there better then finks in every non aggro matchup
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ya I played them and he had to waste like 4 things just to kill 2. Value!

~Seal~    143
[quote name='Oderus Urungus' timestamp='1332911634' post='3139712']
[quote name='~Seal~' timestamp='1332882929' post='3139382']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ya I played them and he had to waste like 4 things just to kill 2. Value!
[/quote]

It's funny cuz when I threw one in the deck it was because I didn't have another goyf and finks just seemed so easy to kill even tho it still has tons of value. Then I started thinking about how many different matchups it would just be hands down better than finks in so I added another in and people started calling me crazy haha.

I lost to a GB matchup in the top 8 and I've been wanting to play some sort of GBx deck with messengers and profane commands ever since. Profane Command is practically a double fireball it's so nuts.

Myth    95
Gonna try to revive the thread with a rant.

This format is fucking terrible. No one in my area will play this shit, no one will play this shit in other states and no one I talk to on actual sites used for Magic could give two halves of a fuck about investing into this piece of shit format when they could play Legacy. And I sit here and wonder why that is. And I figured it out;

Everything they want to play is FUCKING BANNED. ThopterBalance, Faeries, Caw-Blade, Combo-Elves & Dredge being the biggest mentions. Meanwhile we're all stuck playing with the likes of Jund, Twin, Affinity which are EASILY at the same power level. and everything else that even comes close doesn't, in fact, come close to the power level of these three decks. There's not enough reason to merit playing this bullshit and I am seriously pissed off. WotC promised me a format where I could play old standard decks and instead they gave me a format where I get to get hulk smashed and storm'd on, or ruthlessly sodomize these shitty ass tier 2 decks like Goblins and Aggro Elves with anything that remotely has a shot at beating Modern's big 3.

It's not even about control being good. It's about the ability to actually FUCKING PLAY IT IF I WANT TO. Not this shitty creature based tempo bullshit that revolves around Delver and Tarmogoyf. I can stack a bunch of staples into one deck; it's called Legacy. And i'd enjoy it more because there would be more.

Fuck.

This format fucking blows. You guys haven't spoken about it in two months. There you go. Flame me if you don't agree.

┬╗Turkey    1515
I agree with you on most of your points. Modern is a garbage format because regardless of what they ban, there's going to be unfair decks and no Daze/Force of Will to keep them in check.

Not to mention, there's almost no support for the format IRL. I only play it on MODO, and I dread GP Columbus that is coming up later this summer. At least I will know the format way more than the average player due to playing it so much online.

It seems like you haven't been paying attention to Modern lately because Jund, Twin, and Affinity are not played much anymore. The bad guy of the format is G/R Tron because it's so difficult to hate out.

argh    302
I loved modern during the ptq season, I haven't played it much since then because I don't play online much at all, but it's by far one of my favorite formats. (I'm trying to get a group together for cbus) I also don't play legacy at all, so that's probably why I can't really say much about it, in those regards. But, overall I enjoyed more than standard and I wish there were more modern format tournaments that I could play in.

Myth    95
[quote name='Turkey' timestamp='1337749513' post='3188454']
I agree with you on most of your points. Modern is a garbage format because regardless of what they ban, there's going to be unfair decks and no Daze/Force of Will to keep them in check.

Not to mention, there's almost no support for the format IRL. I only play it on MODO, and I dread GP Columbus that is coming up later this summer. At least I will know the format way more than the average player due to playing it so much online.

It seems like you haven't been paying attention to Modern lately because Jund, Twin, and Affinity are not played much anymore. The bad guy of the format is G/R Tron because it's so difficult to hate out.
[/quote]

I think late march was PT Barcelona and the finals were between Twin and Affinity and Twin won. I could be wrong but I watched it on Youtube and wasn't actually there.

And yeah, there's always going to be an imbalance in that format that they're continually going to try to fix with a ban list. There's a game that exists that does that and it's fucking garbage; it's called Yugioh. Ponder, Preordain and Wild Nacatal are banned. Are you serious? I don't think they have any idea what the fuck they are doing.

People don't want to invest into it IRL because it can cost almost as much as Legacy to get a hold of staples and there's this constant fear that the unbelievable will get banned. It's not unreasonable to assume that since they ban cards that have no business being banned that cards like Bob and Tarmogoyf are safe from being banned. It's just really bad right now.

Azn_Boy    378
Ponder, Preordain, and Rite of Flame are banned because it makes combo decks like Storm very consistent. Wizards has a 4 turn win rule in Modern. Storm (Past in Flames/Ascension builds) can win consistently this Modern format by turn 4-5, turns 2 or 3 if you want to risk whiffing into nothing. If the deck still had those two cantrips available, there is less risk for going off on turns 2 or 3.

Btw I love playing decks that have no interaction with the opponent lol. I enjoyed the fuck out of playing Magical Explosion in YGO.

Myth    95
[quote name='Azn_Boy' timestamp='1337816218' post='3189088']
Ponder, Preordain, and Rite of Flame are banned because it makes combo decks like Storm very consistent. Wizards has a 4 turn win rule in Modern. Storm (Past in Flames/Ascension builds) can win consistently this Modern format by turn 4-5, turns 2 or 3 if you want to risk whiffing into nothing. If the deck still had those two cantrips available, there is less risk for going off on turns 2 or 3.

Btw I love playing decks that have no interaction with the opponent lol. I enjoyed the fuck out of playing Magical Explosion in YGO.
[/quote]

And no one enjoys playing against that fucking garbage.

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1889
It really is hard to get people to play this format. Everyone is to stubborn to spend 60-80 on a set of shocklands. Everyone I've talked to said they'd rather just stick to commander.

I personally like the format alot because it has a large card pool with only 1/3 the price of legacy. But I'm seriously considering selling my modern stuff just to play online, where there are actually people to play lol.

Sage.    757
Ugh. Fuck GR Tron. May I just say that I think Wizards has really been overdoing the lands with abilities thing. I know Tron lands were forever ago, but having lands that are good enough to build around is such bad design. There's basically no good way to interact with lands, because all LD is either extremely narrow, extremely overcosted, or extremely underpowered. Stuff like GR Tron in Modern, UR Post in pauper, Valakut, and Wolf Run are just horrendous to play against. Stuff like Alchemist's Refuge and Slayer's Stronghold are fine, because they don't just win the games themselves. But even lands like Gavony Township are straight up unbeatable in certain situations, and there's just no way to hate them out.

tl;dr wizards needs to either make some versatile way to hate out lands or stop making lands so strong, it literally ruins formats.
  • Upvote 1

Azn_Boy    378
Stop bitching, go play legacy and use a Back to Basics MUC deck then. Only thing expensive is a playset of FoW and 2-3 Jaces for that deck.

Edit: On getting into Modern, honestly it's not that expensive. You spend probably close to $1000 on the staples and you're pretty much set for the next few years. Your cards also maintain value, so you can still make like 75-80 percent of what you spent back later on. Shocklands aren't even that expensive. Only the blue ones are pricey, the other colors are under $15 each. RG Tron is cheap as fuck to make. That deck doesn't even need shocklands, most expensive cards in that deck are like Burnwillows, Karn, Emrakul, and Wurmcoil.

Myth    95
[quote name='Azn_Boy' timestamp='1338020238' post='3191044']
Stop bitching, go play legacy and use a Back to Basics MUC deck then. Only thing expensive is a playset of FoW and 2-3 Jaces for that deck.

Edit: On getting into Modern, honestly it's not that expensive. You spend probably close to $1000 on the staples and you're pretty much set for the next few years. Your cards also maintain value, so you can still make like 75-80 percent of what you spent back later on. Shocklands aren't even that expensive. Only the blue ones are pricey, the other colors are under $15 each. RG Tron is cheap as fuck to make. That deck doesn't even need shocklands, most expensive cards in that deck are like Burnwillows, Karn, Emrakul, and Wurmcoil.
[/quote]

I play Legacy, and it's not about wanting to play a control deck. It's about wanting to play an actual control deck if i wanted to. I can play at the top with combo,tempo, mid range and especially aggro in Modern. That's just an aspect the format is missing. I don't agree with it. I understand it's still a new format and these things take time, and there is plenty more product to be released (Snapcaster Mage is an amazing start) but right now it's not appealing.

Also, why would RG Karn run Burnwillows when Punishing Fire is banned...? Am I missing something?

Wizard's has also BEEN going over board with the non basic land utility, I agree with Sage. Speaking of PunishingWillows, before it got banned, that shit alienated a ton of decks out of modern. Fucking Twin was using it. I'm not saying modern needs Wasteland but Qhost Quarter is shit and Tec Edge takes a turn too long.

Tron is as fair a ramp deck as you're going to play against. Turn 3 Karn's suck but so do turn one Delver's and turn 4 Bloodbraid Elf's. The mana base is shaky and you can get an auto-win against a bad pilot.

tl;dr Shit needs to get real and they need to get reprints rolling or this format is fucking doomed.

Sage.    757
[quote name='Azn_Boy' timestamp='1338020238' post='3191044']
[/quote]

What a great way to ignore the problem. I'm not saying that I won't play with utility lands. I'm not saying I won't play against utility lands. I'm saying that a recurring problem across several formats is that WotC is making lands that are a bit too strong, and not making any way to combat them.