Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pghrtacheaie'n

Introduction to /Shoegaze/

Guest Pghrtacheaie'n   
Guest Pghrtacheaie'n

The Introduction:

Shoegaze is a subgenre of alternative rock that emerged from the United Kingdom in the late 1980s. The shoegazing sound is typified by significant use of guitar effects, and indistinguishable vocal melodies that blended into the creative noise of the guitars. The most commonly cited precursors to shoegazing are My Bloody Valentine, Cocteau Twins, and The Jesus and Mary Chain. Common musical elements of shoegazing consist of distortion, droning riffs and a "wall of sound" from noisy guitars. Typically, two distorted rhythm guitars are played together to give an amorphous quality to the sound. Although lead guitar riffs were often present, they were not the central focus of most shoegazing songs. Vocals are typically subdued in volume and tone, but underneath the layers of guitars is generally a strong sense of melody. However, lyrics are not emphasized; vocals are often treated as an additional instrument.

Required Albums:

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Slowdive - Souvlaki

Ride - Nowhere

Swirlies - Blonder Tongue Audio Baton

Noteworthy Bands:

My Bloody Valentine

Ride

Slowdive

The Jesus and Mary Chain

Lovesliescrushing

Curve

Pioneers:

My Bloody Valentine, Cocteau Twins, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Dinosaur Jr., and Sonic Youth.

Ice Breakers:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

+rei+    34503
chapterhouse sucks

Just like every single other entry in the genre outside of the album Loveless.

• Downvote 3

Guest Sykotic   
Guest Sykotic
really dislike slowdive

if you've only heard souvlaki, check out pygmalion. its better

Wild Caniac    421

loveless is a great album, i just cant really get into the genre

Soon is one of the greatest songs i have ever heard

»Ray    1888

I don't get the loveless love. Yes, it's good, 8/10 at best, but it's a very difficult album to listen to. It's like great pop melodies with all the fun sucked out of them and replaced with swooshing noises. Very pleasing swooshing noises but swooshing noises nonetheless. In fact the only song I can listen to more than once a month without getting sick of it is Only Shallow.

You guys hail it as like the best thing since the orgasm but it's just pretty good imo.

Guest Sykotic   
Guest Sykotic
I don't get the loveless love. Yes, it's good, 8/10 at best

=-|

+rei+    34503
I don't get the loveless love. Yes, it's good, 8/10 at best, but it's a very difficult album to listen to. It's like great pop melodies with all the fun sucked out of them and replaced with swooshing noises. Very pleasing swooshing noises but swooshing noises nonetheless. In fact the only song I can listen to more than once a month without getting sick of it is Only Shallow.

You guys hail it as like the best thing since the orgasm but it's just pretty good imo.

Its the best of the genre, so thats where i give it props, and Only SHallow is so good i can just suck that dick. Shoegaze still sucks.

»Ryu    2415
The shoegazing sound is typified by significant use of guitar effects, and indistinguishable vocal melodies that blended into the creative noise of the guitars. The most commonly cited precursors to shoegazing are My Bloody Valentine, Cocteau Twins, and The Jesus and Mary Chain. Common musical elements of shoegazing consist of distortion, droning riffs and a "wall of sound" from noisy guitars. Typically, two distorted rhythm guitars are played together to give an amorphous quality to the sound. Although lead guitar riffs were often present, they were not the central focus of most shoegazing songs. Vocals are typically subdued in volume and tone, but underneath the layers of guitars is generally a strong sense of melody. However, lyrics are not emphasized; vocals are often treated as an additional instrument.

>shit

+rei+    34503

I dont get why shoegaze fans arent more constantly sucking Boris's dick.

Guest Sykotic   
Guest Sykotic

hipsters all across the globe are constantly sucking Boris's dick

»Ray    1888

I've never seen somebody actually defend their opinion of Loveless being the greatest album ever. Some people just think it and are stunned when people disagree, yet never explain why.

Can someone please explain it to me? I'd really like to know the big thing you see.

Guest Sykotic   
Guest Sykotic

you're obviously too simple minded to understand the complex relationship between shoegazing album and inspired listener

Gary Oak    847

what the fuck is shoegaze, is this some kind of thing you only know about if you a PROPERLY into music, because I am almost 100% sure I can ask each and everyone of the people I know and not a single person would turn around and even assume the word shoegaze has ANYTHING to do with music lol.

»Ray    1888

Shoegaze is basically simple, catchy pop melodies played on guitar and then manipulated with a shit ton of distortion, reverb, chorus, flange and various other effects. Most of the time doing that shit to the guitar ruins the song, but sometimes it makes a great tune. It's largely unheard of outside of music nerds because it generally sucks and has had little to no success stories.

+rei+    34503

[10:43:22] Cody says:

im not going to go on dgz anymore if i have to worry about the admin deeming an obvious ironic post unfunny and suspending me

I think hes mad.

+rei+    34503

and yet the two people most educated in music think its overrated tripe. XD

Sign in to follow this