{Yara}

Constructed Standard Discussion

»Audioslayne    909

I recorded a video set for gathering magic, which should be up in a week or so, and lost only a single game. I had one particular game that I was really proud of, where I thought there was absolutely no chance I was winning, and then ended up crushing my opponent with a combo kill out of nowhere. The deck will really surprise you, both as a pilot and an opponent.

So this never went up as far as I can tell and you've been removed as an irregular writer...  Anyway we can get the vids anyway? I was kind of looking forward to this.

{Yara}    19
Creatures
4 x Seeker of the Way
4 x Goblin Rabblemaster
4 x Mantis Rider
1 x Prognostic Sphinx
Noncreature Spells
3 x Nullify
1 x Disdainful Stoke 
2 x Magma Jet
2 x Arc lightning 
4 x Lightning Strike
4 x Stoke the Flames
4 x Jeskai Charm
3 x Dig Through Time
Lands
4 x Mystic Monastery
2 x Temple of Enlightenment
2 x Temple of Epiphany
4 x Flooded Strand
1 x Mana Confluence
2 x Battlefield Forge
4 x Shivan Reef
2 x Plains
2 x Island
1 x Mountain

Sideboard
3 x Suspension Field
2 x Disdainful Stroke
2 x Negate
3 x Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2 x Erase 
2 x Glare of Hersay 
1 x God's Willing 

UB
Creature (3)
1 Pearl Lake Ancient
2 Prognostic Sphinx 
Sorcery (6)

2 Thoughtseize
2 Nullify
2 Drown In sorrow 

Instant (21)
4 Bile Blight
4 Hero's Downfall
4 Dig Through Time
4 Dissolve
3 Jace's Ingenuity
2 Disdainful Stroke

Artifact (3)
3 Perilous Vault
Land (27)

5 Island
5 Swamp
4 Polluted Delta
4 Dismal Backwater
4 Temple of Deceit
2 Radiant Fountain
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Opulent Palace 

60 Cards 
Sideboard (15)
1 Pearl lake ancient 
2 Drown in Sorrow
3 Negate
1 Pharika's Cure
2 Grind clock 
2 Jorubai Murk Lurker
1 Aetherspout
1 Disdainful stroke 
2 Ashiok, Nightmareweaver

Any thoughts on what I should run at a Super IQ today ? Perk or UB is I have it foiled minus 4 uncommons, perk of Jeskia is quicker rounds.

Schism    986

Playing in two pptqs this weekend. The first one I'm playing Dylan Donegans tokens list. If that doesn't work out I'll probably play mardu tomorrow.

Update:Ended up getting 2nd at the PPTQ losing to U/W Heroic in the finals  :(. I'm going to jam tokens again at the PPTQ tomorrow. Deck is way to good.

Mutavault    2900

Played a day of Magic today (bad beats incoming)

Played in sealed pptq, lost to pool of Roc and Sorin in same pool then Surrac Dragonclaw and Sarkhan in same pool.

So I went to do infinite draft I'm at 15 have like 14 power coming his way next turn. He has nothing in hand and efret weapon master and a 5 power guy on board he's at 3. Tops flying crane technique that I passed pack 2 for an Abzan Falconer and die on the spot felt so disgusting.

Played modern pptq got my stitcher extirpated then got my conclave ghost quartered and extirpated lol. Then I lost to Amulet turn 3. Then again game 3 turn 2 this time.

A white/red control deck topped with mained x4 blood moon x3 leyline of sanctity etc...it was just to divebomb on delver and burn lol.

I sold all my cards besides my standard stuff.

It was cool that Tenjum made the trip out to Michigan

(it was a bad time to play whip at this event, the room was just preying on it)

/rant

+scuzzlebutt    23495
that rw control deck has been real for a while, orry swift (2nd place gp sa) played it a lot last summer and spread it around here. its a metagame deck through and through but it absolutely takes a dump on delver

{Yara}    19

I played the Jeskia Aggro deck above with a few changes adding another red source and cutting the Gods willing from Sb along with a suspension field for a 3rd glare, and a Burn away, lost round 1 to some bad draws won the next six to lose in top 8 to Heroic. Deck was sweet.

Jeskia tokens 2-0 

Esper control 1-0

Heroic 1-1 

Gb Devotion 1/1 

4 Color Sidisi 1-0 

Darthflaw    124

Playing in a Super IQ/1k next weekend, and can't really decide what to play. I have Junk Aggro built(minus two Wingmate Roc), but while digging around on SCG last night I came across this grixis list that made top 8 at an IQ in Brooklyn. I'm not sure how good it actually is, but if the metagame is nothing but Fleemane Lions, 2/2's an Tokens, having main deck Bile Blight and Anger seems decent.

1 Pearl Lake Ancient

3 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

1 Chandra, Pyromaster

1 Liliana Vess

2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

2 Island

2 Mountain

4 Swamp

3 Bloodstained Mire

3 Polluted Delta

3 Temple of Deceit

3 Temple of Epiphany

4 Temple of Malice

3 Aetherspouts

2 Bile Blight

2 Dig Through Time

4 Hero's Downfall

3 Lightning Strike

1 Murderous Cut

1 Silence the Believers

2 Steam Augury

3 Anger of the Gods

4 Thoughtseize

3 Treasure Cruise

Sideboard

3 Ashcloud Phoenix

1 Dig Through Time

3 Disdainful Stroke

3 Dissolve

3 Negate

1 Keranos, God of Storms

1 Mogis, God of Slaughter

Lux    1558
I'd take some of those IQ Top 8 lists with a grain of salt, as they can be just rando local tourneys with like 10 participants. Probably safer to jam the Abzan Aggro list.
  • Upvote 4

Darthflaw    124
Took your advice and decided to run junk aggro

Just ID'd into top 8. Good call, bro.

Mutavault    2900

BBD just won a ptq with his Abzgo curving all the way to Elspeth...

4 Sandsteppe Citadel
4 Temple of Malady
2 Temple of Silence
1 Mana Confluence
1 Llanowar Wastes
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Windswept Heath
2 Forest
2 Plains
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

4 Rakshasa Deathdealer
4 Fleecemane Lion
4 Anafenza, The Foremost
4 Siege Rhinceros
4 Wingmate Roc

2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

2 Thoughtseize
4 Hero's Downfall
2 Abzan Charm
1 Murderous Cut
3 Bill Blight

Sideboard: 15

3 Glare of Heresy
3 Drown in Sorrow
2 Back to Nature
2 Thoughtseize
2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Courser of Kruphix
1 Duneblast

FaipDeOaid    169
Abzan Aggro is definitely one of the top decks. Dominated the GP Denver Top 8. Teched Sorin, Solemn Visitor seemed to be the only differentiating in lists going on. The downside is while it saw the most Top 8 spots, UB Control took the whole Tournament down.

However, on the flipside, we saw UW Heroic dominated the SCG Open in Columbus, including a first place finish. Seems players in both tournaments were looking to push Whip and Midrange strategies out.

What's the consensus of Gran Prix versus Opens? Which one is more impactful on the meta going foward? Or is it safe to say that both are pretty much equal in shaping the landscape?

Getting the feeling that moving foward, Mardu Midrange, Abzan Junk and Jekai will be the stronger picks for bigger tournaments. At least until Fate Reforged shakes things up.

Mutavault    2900

Mardu is fucking awful its only better than Temur. In both of these 2 themes the mana just doesn't ever lineup consistently because you are trying to curve with tap lands and half of fetchlands. Then if you go opposite you get 2 fetchlands 1 pain land and obviously no tri lands. If you go green you get hexproof ramp and free mana manipulation. But those decks aren't fast which is why when I see Temur with sylvans and coursers it just doesn't make sense outside of "we have no choice mana isn't good." Mardu faces similar problems except the issue is having enough mountains to balance turn 2 chain to rocks with turn 3 pressure while not having stumbles in your mana. Or even turn 3 double red isn't always reliable if it means giving up your curve for it. This is basically why you have seen the Mardu decks jump ship and go to 2 color since its much easier on mana you have alot of help in red/white with removal and tempo/burn tricks. The threats are fantastic you do lose Butcher but you still have Rabble, Seeker, Stormbreath, Brimaz, Sorin, Sarkhan Elspeth etc... the tokens are also very efficient and playing your spells on time has shown just how much more important this was than getting card quality. Tempo is very big this format the answers aren't all solved with Verdict, 2 mana kill spells with minimal requirements, make million rats/sea ponies. 2 color decks got 1st/2nd for a reason at the open.

I think the whole Open vs. GP debate use to be GP but now SCG is advertising so much and they are promoting so much product not to mention their coverage is amazing compared to GP's coverage of choppy low quality camera streams and informative but enjoyable players that know the game. I can learn something new from P Suli everytime I watch. A GP coverage team is trying to be silly and Rich Hagon has to pretend to be a retard even though he's not like that irl he is paid to play that role. (listen to that podcast if you haven't he's a cutter and lived a very scary life) Randy Bueler does keep it informative but not so entertaining like LSV does and LSV just gets more views because of literally who he is how he'll scrub out and go do happy fun time on the mic. Everyone loves it but I don't really learn anything. Ben Stark is backwards, he's dry but he's very informative I will learn the most from Ben on camera. The " " better players head to GP's to play in so if you want best of the best I'd say that is the one to look at not saying there isn't good players are SCG's but look at the top 8 today. Logan, Steve, Jim and Joe all topped and they were just in the players championship. Do I think those are the 4 players I will base a meta on? Hell no! Joe has 1 deck, same as Steve, Logan jumps all the time and does whatever Steve does (outside of legacy) and Jim only plays a deck that takes 100 years. Does this format look suited for control where just chip damage can randomly kill you...I dont think so but I could be wrong I suppose. Everyone is playing what they like this format because it is open where as GP players are going to play what they expect is the deck to beat the deck that just won. You'll see Brad do this all the time and find success. To be honest I don't think Khans is figured out at all and if you want to pick 1 of these type of events and ask yourself "what is everyone going to be playing?" I would have to think GP will give a lot more insight than SCG Opens.

(take all of this with a grain of salt there will always be an outlier to anything)

{Yara}    19
I have more bad beats stories from the open this weekend then the pope has known languages. I think Gp / Scg comparison is very similar now. Also Manila Lee shi topped another event with that awful version of combo guys a sick o with it.

I think GPs and Opens have a roughly similar effect on the metagame despite the lower quality of decks at Opens. GPs have more top tier players and more rounds to weed out opponents. Less people travel great distances for Opens. 

If you pull a decklist from an Open, there's a greater chance that you are going to have to tweek it. 

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1889

I think GPs and Opens have a roughly similar effect on the metagame despite the lower quality of decks at Opens. GPs have more top tier players and more rounds to weed out opponents. Less people travel great distances for Opens. 

If you pull a decklist from an Open, there's a greater chance that you are going to have to tweek it. 

I completely agree. SCG has a pretty big fan base, any given Open has atleast two to three times the amount of viewers.

SCG also posts top 32 lists, so people can become attached to decks that aren't necessarily good.

+Gojira    1706
Is there any strong reason to play UB control over Esper? The mana base doesn't seem bad enough to justify 2 colors

Also, I don't believe that either are close to the strongest deck right now, but I Don't have the budget to build other decks.

Is there any strong reason to play UB control over Esper? The mana base doesn't seem bad enough to justify 2 colors

Also, I don't believe that either are close to the strongest deck right now, but I Don't have the budget to build other decks.

The only thing that white adds to Esper right now is Elspeth. Now that Crux of Fate is out the real advantage of White (wrath effect) is gone. I think that the mana base is too slow. UB already struggles with having relatively expensive answers to threats and having to play more tapped lands means that their 3 CMC answer can't be used for a long time, especially if they're on the play. 

If you really want to play White in control, I think the real gem is Chained to the Rock. Cheap removal is something control lacks and UWR can provide that. Valorous Stance is another good reason to play white, depending upon the meta. I think Jeskai tokens/tempo will be really prevalent and Valorous Stance is fairly weak as a removal spell in that matchup. 

• Upvote 3

+Gemstone Mine    2600
Ub actually has a really shakey mana base as it is, because they have so many bb and uu cards, and because of all those tap lands. White would just make the problem worse

+Gojira    1706

Yeah I guess I can see that. UB has enough sweepers and endgame that it probably can function without Elspeth and Utter End. That would be best for me, since i can then trade my elspeth's for polluted deltas.

There's been some talk about jeskai sage  (1B 1/1 prowess, when it dies draw 1) in control. It's a pretty low-impact card, but it might get you through the early game and draw towards sweepers.

• Upvote 1

Mutavault    2900

the only reason i wouldn't want to be playing jeskai sage is you went from blanking chains to giving them the perfect card and letting them trade a card for 1 of yours.

HeyyQT    47

Not sure how much people have been testing standard but here is a list I have been testing for events this weekend. Hard to say where the format is going or what will be relevant.

Creatures (27)

4 Fleecemane Lion
4 Satyr Wayfinder
3 Rakshasa Deathdealer
4 Siege Rhino
4 Wingmate Roc
2 Tasigur, Golden Fang
4 Anafenza, the Foremost
2 Soul of Theros
Lands (24)

1 Forest
2 Plains
2 Caves of Koilos
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Sandsteppe Citadel
4 Temple of Malady
1 Temple of Silence
4 Windswept Heath
2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Spells (9)

2 Abzan Charm
3 Hero's Downfall
1 Murderous Cut
3 Thoughtseize

+Gojira    1706

If Soul of Theros fits in your curve, shouldn't you be running elspeth?