{Yara}

Constructed Standard Discussion

Audioslayne    902

... which is already possible with a servant go the conduit on 2.

Don't get me wrong I'm excited for this card, it'll sometimes do just that, it'll sometime's be a thalias lt that doesn't block.   I think what's more important than the dream scenarios is you get the utility that it's decent early and late game.

GW Humans is already playable at the moment and I'd be surprised if this didn't mean GW tokens was coming back especially since they have vehicles to benefit from now as well.

• Upvote 1

NetRepTodd    200

Scenario:

t1: Thraben

t2: Heart of kiran, attack with thraben for 1  - (19 life) (2 lands 2 creatures)

t3: Nissa, tick up for plant, tick down to animate kiran and swing with thraben + kiran - (14 life) (3 lands, 1 planeswalker, 3 creatures, can tick down nissa to protect nissa with kiran following turn or chump block with plant)

t4: Gideon, make knight.  tick down gideon, animate kiran.  tick up nissa, plant.  attack with thraben + kiran  - (9 life) (4 lands, 2 planeswalkers, potential of 5 creatures, and still with the ability to protect the planeswalkers)

It really seems as though there is some potential here.  You can replace thraben with toolcraft exemplar, heart with either copter or oath of ajani, and you achieve many different positive board states.

The biggest reason why GW tokens died out last format was because the only flier GW had to block opposing fliers was Archangel Avacyn.  Spell queller and smuggler's copter introduced some real threats into the metagame that threatened planeswalkers.  Having smuggler's copter of our own OR heart of kiran allows the deck to have some fliers early on to fill both roles, aggression and protecting the walkers.  The manabase for a GW deck is not super complicated, the GW colors has large card quality.

Call me crazy, but i think this could be a real thing.  Either that, or I really just want to try and force GW, which is also a possiblity.  Hopefully there will be more tools in Aether revolt that allow this deck to be a real contender.

NetRepTodd    200

My biggest concern with this type of strategy are emrakul + K-return decks.  having the board swept, then our turn taken from us is not a fun scenario to be in.  Maybe something like sigarda could prevent emrakul cast triggers?

also, I don't know what the removal suite would look like.  Stasis snare seems great, that three mana cmc is costly thought because this type of deck wants to keep deploying things on its own turn.  Dec in stone is also a decent removal spell.

Side note, something like Tireless tracker could allow GW games to go long.  We have Gisela and bruna, avacyn, sylvan advocates, servant, lambolt pacifist...There are so many cards that could fit into a 75 in these colors, we'd have to figure out exactly which ones are necessary vs which ones aren't.  I'll be going into the tank beginning of January to test this type of strategy.  I'm planning on going to the SCG open in richmond at the end of January, so hopefully we will know if something like this is viable by then.  My guess is that it won't be, but it won't stop people from trying.

I really liked the previous GW deck, would love to go back to playing it again.  I know @Darthflaw doesn't want GW mirrors to be a thing again, and I agree with him by the fact of that format not being the healthiest in the world.

+Gojira    1741

Just pre-ordered the stuff for this deck.

4 Glint-Nest Crane

4 Aetherflux Reservoir

4 Bone Saw

4 Cathar's Shield

1 Implement of Examination

1 Ornithopter

1 Prophetic Prism

4 Renegade Map

4 Anticipate

4 Metallic Rebuke
4 Paradoxical Outcome

2 Reverse Engineer

4 Whir of Invention

19 Island

I'm still messing with the numbers and Baral's Expertise (it can return your own stuff, or a combination), but I think this has the potential to be really strong. With a good hand you can win on turn 4, you have some game one interaction with Crane and Rebuke, and any midrange matchup seems incredibly easy.

+Gojira    1741
23 minutes ago, iSlickz said:

Want to pick up Magic and go ass deep into it. 

good place to start?

Despite prices likely being higher than now, I would wait to buy in until about a week after the pro tour. You can pick up an optimized deck, and prices will have somewhat stabilized.

what kind of budget do you have?

+Gojira    1741

for players it's currently a great time to get into standard, because prices are depressed by the "lottery tickets" they print every set now, and high print runs.

If you want to be very competitive, you have to focus on standard and sealed deck formats. If you need to play modern for an rptq or GP or something, pick up a deck like Ad Naseum (cheap, easy to play at a basic level, can spike tournaments).

Stay away from the frontier "format" even for fun; it currently has no sustainability.

confuse ray    4259
9 minutes ago, Gojira said:

for players it's currently a great time to get into standard, because prices are depressed by the "lottery tickets" they print every set now, and high print runs.

If you want to be very competitive, you have to focus on standard and sealed deck formats. If you need to play modern for an rptq or GP or something, pick up a deck like Ad Naseum (cheap, easy to play at a basic level, can spike tournaments).

Stay away from the frontier "format" even for fun; it currently has no sustainability.

I have about a $100-$150 a month budget I wouldn't mind parting with. 

Are there any good articles i can read, forums I can read, online etc to get knowledge of card base and mechanics? 

There's a pretty big FNM in my area too.  

I would eventually want to attend large events, so im assuming constructed would be best for me to start with?

+Gojira    1741

There's no good forums that I know of; high-level information is dominated by sponsored writers. Channelfireball and magic.tcgplayer.com are the best free article sites. Starcitygames has articles you have to pay for, but it's a fairly high cost that probably isn't worth it - if you're going to a lot of tournaments you'll be picking up free access through codes.

There's 2 tournament formats you want to focus on:

Standard: currently 6 sets make up the card pool.

And sealed: 6 packs of current sets to build a limited deck. The top cut of these tournaments will be draft,but obviously the majority of matches will be sealed, so it's actually more important.

• Upvote 1

Audioslayne    902

Standard has the most tournaments that matter, people seem to enjoy modern the most but the barrier to entry is high, and limited is a good way to slowly amass a collection and not have to buy in to compete. 

Legacy is the format you play when you want to burn through your tax refund.

+Gemstone Mine    2602
23 minutes ago, Audioslayne said:

Standard has the most tournaments that matter, people seem to enjoy modern the most but the barrier to entry is high, and limited is a good way to slowly amass a collection and not have to buy in to compete.

arguable, modern is one of those you either hate it or love it formats. And from what I understand almost all pros loathe the format

Audioslayne    902
On 1/26/2017 at 7:18 PM, Gemstone Mine said:

arguable, modern is one of those you either hate it or love it formats. And from what I understand almost all pros loathe the format

You're not wrong.  The pro players stance is usually slightly far removed from even just the slight grinder, and modern has steadily been getting better. 

The main grievance pros had with it is that there's too much to prepare for and too much variance in matchups.  Anything can and will show up and it makes picking a deck harder than it should be.   That being said the general allure is it's a "You can play what you want, just know it really well" format which most people find attractive.

Either way it's no longer a PT format and the PPTQ's for it are relatively few and far between so it's a format I'd only pick up if you plan on grinding SCG/GP's or if your local scene is thriving.

NetRepTodd    200

What are peoples thoughts about the SCG event this weekend in ATL?  Decks that may do well?  Is mardu vehicles still the deck to beat?  ETC.  

Anyone been working on any neat brews since the felidar guardian ban was announced?

---------

I'm ready to start talking about magic again.  Standard has been oppressive the past couple of months since we had a combo in the format that could win as early as turn four.  Will start grinding pptqs and IQs again once mid-may hits.  until then, i'm gonna be testing and jamming games.

+Gemstone Mine    2602

mardu might not be not the deck to beat, but some aggro/midrange deck that uses heart of kiran is probably the best deck. Without saheeli combo, Heart is in a toss up with gideon for the best card in the format, so it's likely that some r/w/x deck is the best or a w/b/x deck. Mardu was only as good as it was because it had so many ways to out saheeli (fatal push, unlicensed disintigration, shock, anguished unmaking, etc), while a lot of the stuff isn't necessarily needed anymore

Personally, I really like the dynavolt deck though. Extremely limited testing though.

NetRepTodd    200
1 hour ago, Gemstone Mine said:

mardu might not be not the deck to beat, but some aggro/midrange deck that uses heart of kiran is probably the best deck. Without saheeli combo, Heart is in a toss up with gideon for the best card in the format, so it's likely that some r/w/x deck is the best or a w/b/x deck. Mardu was only as good as it was because it had so many ways to out saheeli (fatal push, unlicensed disintigration, shock, anguished unmaking, etc), while a lot of the stuff isn't necessarily needed anymore

Personally, I really like the dynavolt deck though. Extremely limited testing though.

Dynavolt is what i'm playing for the next couple of weeks as well, unless something powerful comes from the atlanta open or the PT.  Incorporating cards like Pull from tomorrow or censor?

+Gemstone Mine    2602

censor is good, i like it, not sure I like it enough to run a full 4 though.

not as big of a fan of pull from tommorrow, would only run 1 at the most I think.

NetRepTodd    200

Alright, wanted to try a more dedicated control brew without relying on dynavolt tower.  Too much artifact disruption to warrant playing both gearhulks and the tower.  Attune with aether and other things of the like are just not great topdecks.  Moved to UR control.  Here is my list:

Maindeck: 60

----------------

Lands: 26

9 Island

5 Mountain

4 Aether Hub

4 Spirebluff Canal

4 Wandering Fumarole

Creatures: 4

4 Torrential Gearhulk

Other Spells: 30

4 Censor

4 Disallow

2 Negate

2 Essence Scatter

4 Glimmer of Genius

4 Magma Spray

4 Harnessed Lightning

2 Pull From Tomorrow

2 Sweltering Suns

2 Commit // Memory

-------------

Sideboard: 15

1 Commit // Memory

1 Sweltering Suns

2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

1 Kefnet, the Mindful

3 Whirler Virtuoso

2 Dispel

2 Negate

1 Chandra, Flamecaller

2 Release the Gremlins

This has been very, very good in testing so far.  Hoping to play this at FNM on Friday if I am able to go.

NetRepTodd    200

Sorry for the double.

Looks like UR control is actually performing well on magic online, with lists very similar to mine.  Began looking at their sideboards, trying to figure out what could be most optimal for me.  Here is where I am at so far:

Sideboard: 15

1 Commit // Memory

1 Sweltering Suns

2 Confiscation Coup

1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

1 Kefnet, the Mindful

2 DragonMaster Outcast

2 Dispel

2 Negate

1 Sphinx of the Final Word

2 Release the Gremlins

Azn_Boy    385

My area standard is not popular so I don't think there are many mardu decks. I'm just gonna play the mono blue list and engulf people. Deck does needs more win conditions though, it sucks there aren't any good manlands unless you go red.

• Upvote 1

NetRepTodd    200

So played at FNM on friday, took the UR control list with the updated sideboard.

Round one (win) vs UR fevered burn - I actually thought that this was going to be a poor matchup until a couple of turns in.  Commit // Memory allowed me to bounce fevered visions when it was becoming a problem.  Magma spray and harnessed lightning kept killing his Thermo Alchemists and his Stormchaser mages.  Counterspells served as a hedge against the rest of the deck, and gearhulk was a great closer.

Round 2 (win) vs UR Improvise - Lolcals will have brews.  This guy was ramping out dudes so fast it was actually a little scary.  He got me game one, he went off and was able to drop fatties pretty early.  Game 2 and 3 I brought in 2 Confiscation coups, 2 release the gremlins, and 2 negate. Cut all 4 magma spray and 2 sweltering suns.  From there was smooth sailing.

Round 3 (loss) vs BR Madness - I happened to get there game one.  Game 2 the new red god with haste and key to the city got me.  Key allowing him to discard down to the mininum hand size to turn on the red god AND make his god unblockable was difficult to deal with.  Game 3 I had him hellbent when time was called.  I was at one life, he was at 4.  He untaps key and pays 2 to draw an additional card.  he drew the red god, and the other card could be used to discard and make his god unblockable.  When he cast the god, I pull from tomorrowed for 13 cards, and left 3 blue sources up for a dissallow or an essence scatter.  Didn't hit the counterspell, the god killed me.  Was a great match, and one of the hardest ones I've played in a long time.

Round 4 (win) vs Jund Energy Aggro - mulled to 5 game one, he kept seven.  His curve of snake, rishkar, nissa, and green gearhulk wrecked me.  Game 2 and 3, Confiscation coup and release the gremlins got me there.  His build was very artifact heavy.  Coup kept taking gearhulks, which was nice.  

The chandra in my board wasn't that great, at least for FNM.  My thought was that I could bring it in against midrange lists as a way to kill things and start grabbing card advantage.  Whenever I drew it, i just felt like it was underwhelming.  Would probably cut it for another essence scatter, at least for FNM.