{Yara}

Constructed Standard Discussion

3715 posts in this topic

I hate monument personally. I was playing Elves overrun combo for approx a month as standard wound down recently and just found Beastmasters Ascension to be better. It seems even more exciting with genesis wave since you can top your curve at 4 (the planeswalkers) with the exception of the emrakul/terastadon and 4 seems like the most exciting number for your turn 3 genesis waves. Like progressively winning the game off of monument was a waste of time if you could just go lethal in one turn (most games ended with approx 40 damage going red zone). Only 1 card could easy beat you maindeck (sparkmage) and post board that went cold quick. Obviously day hurt, but the deck was built to not lose to it.

I uh tried this today proixed up a few cards so t5 gen for 15 hit a aeon 9th card down epic.

So uh any rulings on it do you get to put lands in play?

I hate monument personally. I was playing Elves overrun combo for approx a month as standard wound down recently and just found Beastmasters Ascension to be better. It seems even more exciting with genesis wave since you can top your curve at 4 (the planeswalkers) with the exception of the emrakul/terastadon and 4 seems like the most exciting number for your turn 3 genesis waves. Like progressively winning the game off of monument was a waste of time if you could just go lethal in one turn (most games ended with approx 40 damage going red zone). Only 1 card could easy beat you maindeck (sparkmage) and post board that went cold quick. Obviously day hurt, but the deck was built to not lose to it.

Monument wins you games you should never have the hope of winning. I want more than 2 now, but can't really make room for a 3rd. It will definitely be in the board for matchup with board wipes. I think you really under estimate the power of Monument now we have Genesis.

The new Elf deck is nothing like it was before tbh. So you can't base it off of that.

Also @ dude who said Nissa being bad comment. You couldn't be any more wrong. Against hyper aggro/Venge decks, Nissa is a god-send. Gain 12-20 life in 1 turn is so relevant a lot of the time. And Monument + Nissa is an infinite combo pretty much, where it is near impossible to ever lose. It feels so great to hit Nissa off of a Genesis. It's far better than Garruk after more testing. We have 2 Nissa main, and now we've bumped it to 3 because of the work it put in.

I've taken out the Terrastadon out of the main, as it didn't quite do enough/was better off in the side or something. I'm trying out 1 of the new elf that uptaps your stuff after you attack. It will probably be redundant a lot of the time, but in some games, using all your elves for mana main 1 for say a Genesis or board spam, then swinging with that guy to untap everything for a bigger Genesis Wave can be huge. It's a fine 1 of so far, as it doesn't really affect the consistency of the deck thanks for Fauna Shaman.

Monument wins you games you should never have the hope of winning. I want more than 2 now, but can't really make room for a 3rd. It will definitely be in the board for matchup with board wipes. I think you really under estimate the power of Monument now we have Genesis.

The new Elf deck is nothing like it was before tbh. So you can't base it off of that.

Also @ dude who said Nissa being bad comment. You couldn't be any more wrong. Against hyper aggro/Venge decks, Nissa is a god-send. Gain 12-20 life in 1 turn is so relevant a lot of the time. And Monument + Nissa is an infinite combo pretty much, where it is near impossible to ever lose. It feels so great to hit Nissa off of a Genesis. It's far better than Garruk after more testing. We have 2 Nissa main, and now we've bumped it to 3 because of the work it put in.

I've taken out the Terrastadon out of the main, as it didn't quite do enough/was better off in the side or something. I'm trying out 1 of the new elf that uptaps your stuff after you attack. It will probably be redundant a lot of the time, but in some games, using all your elves for mana main 1 for say a Genesis or board spam, then swinging with that guy to untap everything for a bigger Genesis Wave can be huge. It's a fine 1 of so far, as it doesn't really affect the consistency of the deck thanks for Fauna Shaman.

How many of her Chosen are you running?

Willing to concede to that, things change when you can keep blue and unified will on the main in the deck. Protection from wipes becomes mostly irrelevant, and low cost means of winning becomes highly important. I guess I'd have to test your build (which is reasonably easy, you've pretty much told us the list) and see what my field looks like after the majority of genesis waves to make a decision on whether ascension or monument would be better.

Gehring, the deck sounds really awesome. I played Elves back during the Nettle Sentinel + Heritage Druid days. If you don't want to post your list here, could you at least PM it to me? I'll test it for you and see if I can come up with any improvements.

Also Gehring, can you explain how you're getting such ridiculous amounts of mana on t3/4? The only way I see it is like t1 dork, t2 cobra into archdruid.

Hands with 4 1 mana elf accelerants and 3 lands with wave do it. Realistically though it seems like you should only be achieving 7 mana tops on turn 3 (which is why I made the comment that I thought 4 mana as the top of the curve made the most sense if you want to consistently maximise a turn 3 wave).

Is it something like this Gehring?

4 Joraga Warcaller

4 Arbor Elf

4 Llanowar Elves

4 Fauna Shaman

4 Elvish Archdruid

2 Ezuri, Renegade Leader

4 Nissa's Chosen

4 Genesis Wave

3 Eldrazi Monument

2 Nissa Revane

2 Garruk Wildspeaker

4 Oran Rief, the Vastwood

18 Forest

I will post the list tomorrow when I have time.

Oran Reif is totally shit. You want your lands to be untapped always. Pumping your guys is so irrelevant when it costs you a turn of possible acceleration.

I use 3 Nissa now, but only 2 Chosen. It cycles so you shouldn't need more than 2. I originally tested 3 but cut them to 2.

My friend Jeremy broke standard (all credit goes to him). I'm not allowed to post the list until after states. The deck is the actual nuts though.

My friend Jeremy broke standard (all credit goes to him). I'm not allowed to post the list until after states. The deck is the actual nuts though.

What type of deck?

So for those not paying attention to the states lists, looks like pyroclasm is the shit.

UB Control is my favorite deck at the moment.

It's very good. I feel it's better than UW against the overall meta fulled with Titan/Valakut. It is also far better in the control mirror, because you have as many, if not more counters, and you have Duress which is huge.

If the format was very creature/mid-range intensive, then I think UW would probably be better as board sweepers would be far more important, but as the format is effectivelty being dominated by Valakut and Eldrazi, along with UW I think UB is the far better control deck.

I prefer the permission/instants version of the deck. I don't think tapout is all that good of an idea. That goes for any form of control tbh. I hate the idea of tapout right now.

There was a really good version of UB control that won Cali with 3 mainboarded Mindbreak Trap and 2 Sphinx of Jwar Isle, was really impressive.

There was a really good version of UB control that won Cali with 3 mainboarded Mindbreak Trap and 2 Sphinx of Jwar Isle, was really impressive.

That one was pretty cool but I think the one that won NY was better.

I think the guy missed playing UB fae an playing a counter every turn of the game.

I kind of liked the NY version better, as it was more threat heavy. Am I missing something here or does the CA list seem threat light?

Maybe I'm just in love with black but I like this deck from Ohio

4 Abyssal Persecutor

3 Sign in Blood

3 Diabolic Tutor

4 Nantuko Shade

4 Duress

4 Gatekeeper of Malakir

1 Consume the Meek

3 Mind Sludge

3 Ratchet Bomb

3 Mimic Vat

4 Doom Blade

24 Swamp

Mind sludge just threatens to warp a game so uncontrollably this format it's not funny.

Mind sludge just threatens to warp a game so uncontrollably this format it's not funny.

Or by the time you get to your mana they've played there hand or have counter magic. I dont see it beating Ramp decks.

NY guy also just won the tcgplayer 5k with the deck. I doubted Elixer but that card is just awesome, he was activating it like 3 times a game against rdw, which makes it impossible to lose.