{Yara}

Constructed Standard Discussion

DTC    60

Yeah UB looks awesome. I gotta test this out.

The titan ramp above is also fast as fuck. Genesis wave is awesome.

PsyKnz    195

So Genesis Wave is probably the most exciting card in standard atm. It's sitting there begging players to work out how to take it over the top. I'm going to have to start playing with it on MTGO but can't decide on my starting build. I don't want to use it in elves because I don't want to buy Nissa's (they almost double in price in the last 2 weeks) and i don't want to use them with Primeval Titan because I don't feel like playing a deck worth more than 50 - 60 tix all up. What else can people think of as a way to make Genesis wave just win the game for you?

The other card I'm keen on atm is Asceticism. Despite the overall bad reception it's had, I feel there has to be cards which go from playable, to ridic, with the enchantment down. Cards like Dragonmaster Outcast and Lighthouse Chronologist which were 'balanced' by having amazing abilities put on fragile bodies.

ibGehring+    1409

the White relic deck is absurd.... better than i ever imagined. fasted deck in the format imo. it is so fucking resilient too.

its the only deck i will be using for a while. i've made over 100 ticks in the last 2 days with it on modo

DTC    60

is it really doing that well? I've been running RDW and i've dominated the matchup every time with speed.

PsyKnz    195

After Gehring's comments and seeing Mystics for 6.5 tix I decided to make the quest deck. Have to agree, it's ability to get value out of every play is stupid. I love that the deck gets away with just waiting for your opponent to tap out.

RDW should be the worst matchup since it's the highest interaction deck in the format. Out of curiosity do you think the people you beat playing quest are playing the deck right (for example are they leaving their glint hawks/skyfishers open for disruption?). My current build is:

16 Plains

4 Tectonic Edge

4 Ornithopter

4 Memnite

4 Glint Hawk

3 Kor Duelist

3 Kor Outfitter

4 Stoneforge Mystic

4 Kor Skyfisher

4 Quest for the Holy Relic

2 Argentum Armor

1 Basilisk Collar

1 Sword of Body and Mind

1 Sword of Vengeance

3 Emerge Unscathed

2 Journey to Nowhere

Side:

4 War Priest of Thune

2 Journey to Nowhere

1 Emerge Unscathed

4 Brave the Elements

4 Kor Firewalker

If I feel like spending the ticks/price comes down brave the elements becomes Leonin Arbiter I think. Will also consider White Knight depending on how format shapes up.

!KrN!    0

So is it general consensus that Mox Opal sucks for WW Quest?

I don't see why you would think otherwise. The deck's curve is extremely low other than the equipment like Argentum Armor, and you are going to sneak that it into play 90% of the time. You're also monocolored, so it doesn't help you there either. I just don't see the benefit over extra gas or answers.

Gospel    375

I am looking to make a not higher-end deck ( I just don't see a reason to shell out alot for Jaces and Prime TItans online when I am just getting used to Standard again) for MTGO, With the format as it is now would that Quest deck posted above be a good choice, Or would a different deck be better against the meta like Kiln Fiend RDW ?

+scuzzlebutt    23495

What's the current consensus on Pyromancer Ascension? It seemed to do really well at the TCGPlayer.com 5k, with three top 16 spots, despite Time Walk being rotated out.

{Yara}    19

What's the current consensus on Pyromancer Ascension? It seemed to do really well at the TCGPlayer.com 5k, with three top 16 spots, despite Time Walk being rotated out.

You will beat control decks but lose to alot of other stuff.

»ACP    33421

I think Ascension is a lot better than most people are giving it credit for.

PsyKnz    195

Yara: Depends on whether you take the archive trap, or burn route I guess. Presumably burn does better against aggro, archive trap better against ramp and control.

Key to the ascension matchup (and Quest matchup) is just knowing what signs to look for to identify when you are safe/not safe to make a play vs disrupt a play. Of course the same is true of almost every combo matchup.

I'm curious if anyone has been playing maindecked Duress this format, and if so why they like it? From looking at the field it seems like a Duress could throw a lot of decks well off curve, or right into scoop town. I havn't really noticed decks doing well which arn't packing 8 - 10 cards on the main duress could hit.

»Gnation    594

Yara: Depends on whether you take the archive trap, or burn route I guess. Presumably burn does better against aggro, archive trap better against ramp and control.

Key to the ascension matchup (and Quest matchup) is just knowing what signs to look for to identify when you are safe/not safe to make a play vs disrupt a play. Of course the same is true of almost every combo matchup.

I'm curious if anyone has been playing maindecked Duress this format, and if so why they like it? From looking at the field it seems like a Duress could throw a lot of decks well off curve, or right into scoop town. I havn't really noticed decks doing well which arn't packing 8 - 10 cards on the main duress could hit.

Duress has been nothing short of awesome for me mained so far this format. The most powerful cards right now are Jace and Summoning Trap and it's the perfect answer to both. It's obviously good against control decks, and even against aggro you hit removal or stuff like Quest or Monument. Duress is one of the big reasons I've been favoring BUG, Grixis, and UB control right now, a lot of the time getting rid of that one key card in their hand completely shifts the game in your favor. I even play Duress mained in infect now, nothing feels better than going turn 1 Duress, turn 2 Lotus Cobra, turn 3 Putrefax/Skithiryx.

Oderus Urungus    100

Duress has been nothing short of awesome for me mained so far this format. The most powerful cards right now are Jace and Summoning Trap and it's the perfect answer to both. It's obviously good against control decks, and even against aggro you hit removal or stuff like Quest or Monument. Duress is one of the big reasons I've been favoring BUG, Grixis, and UB control right now, a lot of the time getting rid of that one key card in their hand completely shifts the game in your favor. I even play Duress mained in infect now, nothing feels better than going turn 1 Duress, turn 2 Lotus Cobra, turn 3 Putrefax/Skithiryx.

I think your forgetting the best card in standard.

DTC    60

White is underperforming right now, otherwise it would not be viable at all.

I side board leyline of sanctity, you scoop opening turn when it comes in for free, or if i'm playing UW I just counter ascension and/or your spells and you run out of gas while i maintain steady card advantage.

ibGehring+    1409

I'm not sure if you're retarded or not, but Leyline is a non issue card. A card called Into the Roil exists and is a 3-4 of in the deck...

»ACP    33421

You sideboard in Leyline? Ok, I guess I win g1 and we draw g2 in time. Works for me.

+scuzzlebutt    23495

'Cause you always open with Leyline too. And it's not like the deck runs 4 Into the Roil.

»ACP    33421

Depending on the matchup I also board in creatures. I have a total of 5 creatures in my board.

!KrN!    0

'Cause you always open with Leyline too. And it's not like the deck runs 4 Into the Roil.

It does not run four. It runs 2-3. Although thats irrelevant due to the absurd amount of draw. Into the roil on your end step, and leave negate/mana leak/deprive mana up. I think PA is awesome as of current, but it is a deck I would opt not to run in a meta full of U/B. If your meta is shy on U/B definitely go for it. FTR, PA does not lose to aggro as stated before.

»Gnation    594

Pa is awesome, im actually working on a grixis version, copying duress, doom blade, memoricide, etc. is pretty sweet

»Gnation    594

I have an upcoming standard tourney, which deck should I go with?

3 Sea Gate Oracle

2 Grave Titan

1 Conundrum Sphinx

1 Sphinx of Jwar Isle

4 Jace the Mind Sculptor

4 Duress

4 Inquisition of Kozilek

4 Mana Leak

4 Preordain

4 Stoic Rebuttal

3 Doom Blade

1 Consuming Vapors