»Farley    1301

I like what this dude said

# Greg Closeon 02 Jun 2011 at 2:46 pm

I think Ned is a great character and a great example of the premise that the best people don’t make the best rulers (and vice versa).

He’s also a great character BECAUSE he makes the wrong choices for the “right” reasons, even though we’re yelling at him not to do it all the while.

N e J i    895

I think we all admire his nobility and honor but I disagree with the premise that the best people can't be great rulers. The thing about Ned Stark is that he comes to us as weak. Along with his youth, it's as if he also lost his strength and charisma, qualities that inspire fear not only to his opponents but more importantly, to his allies. The fear that inspires respect.

A great example of this is Khal Drogo. He lives by his own code, which right now is very influenced by Daenarys, to the point that he went against Dothraki costume and had his leadership defied by one of his own. Being a truly powerful leader, he faced the adversities head on and ended up victorious and even more feared (amazing how he ripped his opponents tongue btw). I know his morality is different that Ned's but I'm trying to show how it's possible for a ruler to do the right thing, even when it means going against their own and still remain respected and feared.

Still, I believe Ned Stark's character is much needed to the story, as he represents, in part, what a ruler should be. I guess the ideal ruler would be a mix of all the game of throne's players. The ruthlessness and smartness of the Lanisters, the honor and reason of the Starks, the sheer strength of the Dothraki and the mystical powers of the bloodline lineage of the Targaryens.

• Upvote 2

»victor    6400

I think we all admire his nobility and honor but I disagree with the premise that the best people can't be great rulers. The thing about Ned Stark is that he comes to us as weak. Along with his youth, it's as if he also lost his strength and charisma, qualities that inspire fear not only to his opponents but more importantly, to his allies. The fear that inspires respect.

A great example of this is Khal Drogo. He lives by his own code, which right now is very influenced by Daenarys, to the point that he went against Dothraki costume and had his leadership defied by one of his own. Being a truly powerful leader, he faced the adversities head on and ended up victorious and even more feared (amazing how he ripped his opponents tongue btw). I know his morality is different that Ned's but I'm trying to show how it's possible for a ruler to do the right thing, even when it means going against their own and still remain respected and feared.

Still, I believe Ned Stark's character is much needed to the story, as he represents, in part, what a ruler should be. I guess the ideal ruler would be a mix of all the game of throne's players. The ruthlessness and smartness of the Lanisters, the honor and reason of the Starks, the sheer strength of the Dothraki and the mystical powers of the bloodline lineage of the Targaryens.

In the later books, you do realize that various events have had a drastic impact on Ned's life and those have shaped his current personality.

-how his father and brother died

-what became of his sister and who her son is

(Jon Snow)

I.e. the explanation goes that he reconciled with Catelyn Stark after supposedly giving birth to bastard Jon Snow by becoming all righteous and noble. Before, it was his brother Brandon who was amazing with the sword, pride of the Stark family.

He was the one set to marry Catelyn Tully initially remember?

After his family died, Ned Stark changed/"hardened" and became who he is now.

• Downvote 1

chee    60

after reading the first book the ending of this 1st season should be pretty awesome. they are only halfway through the book and i wish they never ended the show. its been great.

Lamp    1430

eddard needed a heads up

Too soon.

I'm going to miss Sean Bean. :(

On an unrelated note, I just saw this:

tumblr_lmkuqdPdFt1qabtryo1_500.png

• Upvote 6

»Rimmer    2238

Blex64    163

after reading the first book the ending of this 1st season should be pretty awesome. they are only halfway through the book and i wish they never ended the show. its been great.

What..? They're not halfway through the first book.

chee    60

no the 1st book like 800 pages long in paperback. the way they are going to end the season is a good stopping point though, major turning point in the story.

-L2theZ-    1623

Well, my copy of the book is only 674 pages long, and right now I'd say we're at around page 610, and given the previews I'm more than certain that we'll be completing book one at the conclusion of this season.

Blex64    163

no the 1st book like 800 pages long in paperback. the way they are going to end the season is a good stopping point though, major turning point in the story.

I have no idea what you're talking about. They've done things in pretty much perfect order chronologically. They didn't even move things people expected them to move (like the end of the most recent episode)

SSJ Grumpig    5713

these episodes just don't stop getting better man

if anything, the show will keep you from forming your own opinions about the characters' appearances and voices.

but I trust the casting, since martin was/is part of this.

on another note, I was surprised to find out that he actually has been writing eps. pleasantly surprised.

»Catalyst    210

I'm going to read all of the books this summer, but I'm skipping Game of Thrones, can someone give me a rundown of whats different from the book and the tv series? I'm going to read books 2-5 in FULL though. Can't fucking wait.