neptune

How do I get better?

»neptune    3789

I play sabers. I'm new to the competitive scene. I've been playing alot slower so I can make more thought out and better plays.

What is good advice for someone who would like to be better at this game overall?

Yugioh isn't my life, and I'm not really able to travel for regs and all that just yet. I pretty much play for fun, but would like to get more competitive.

[Mr. T's edit]

links to existing "how to get better" threads, which cover everything and more

http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?showtopic=120868

http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?showtopic=120840

http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?showto...3&hl=habits

http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?showtopic=113229

http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?showtopic=99034

edit: this was when I was awful.

Carbon    1865

Play people who are better. You'll start to notice how/why they're better. You'll start thinking harder and making better plays to avoid the constant loss.

• Upvote 5

»neptune    3789

Yeah, that is true.

I pretty much always play the same people/

»neptune    3789
don't waste rescue cat; idk what else to say lol

I usually only use Rescue Cat when I have Heavy/Trunade/Cold Wave, Solemn down, or they have no backrow.

Or when I feel like I can win :]

• Upvote 1

Jazz`    222

^^ This guy's already a pro ^^

»neptune    3789

Naw, I'm just really chill when it comes to this game.

Gotta make sure smack talk doesn't get to me though. Or those dickriders when I play against good people.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Jazz`    222

Gotta make sure smack talk doesn't get to me though. Or those dickriders when I play against good people.

Nah it was just a joke. Cause all it really takes it Storm/Wave and Cat to win the game.

»neptune    3789

Nah it was just a joke. Cause all it really takes it Storm/Wave and Cat to win the game.

Awww.

Got my hopes up tbh.

godframe    189

Awww.

Got my hopes up tbh.

lol

Find a new local or something and play different people if you want to get more experience. The same guys over and over again will only allow you to get as good as they are.

• Upvote 1

IAmTheGreat    3772

Just play alot. The more you play the deck the more you'll see various plays and know how to have it run better. This is the best way to get good with any deck obviously.

• Upvote 1

since there are already several "how to improve" threads, i'm compiling them all into the first post and pinning this thread.

If anyone has suggestions/concerns about this lmk.

• Upvote 1

»PJ    4183

Good resource, need to read up on these again.

Kahlil    806

Think through every play thoroughly, and take your time.

Consider the possible outcomes of every single play you could make and weigh the pros and cons of each. Use that to help you make your decision on which play to make.

Play good people. The better the people you play on a regular basis the better you will do. Playing against people that topped Shonens is always helpful.

The Byrd    62

Always playtest whenever you have the time so that way you know how your own deck works.

play higher skilled players or practice on yvd, even if you loose theres bound to be players to help you agaist misplaying etc.

Get lucky.

eh winning from a topdeck has the same end result as winning from skill, but luck doesnt make you a good player, its not consistent enough.

nosferatu    17

It is good if you talk about varius situations, decks, experiences-

If you made a bad move, you should re-think the whole situation-what could have been done.

Think about given circumstances; what would change if you do this or that move, what kind of effect would that move/combo have on whole duel; try to predict your opponent.

My advice:Always be prepared for the worse thing, that could happen, but hope for the best.

WhoIs68    0

I just YVD'd for about a year with better players when I sucked ass.

I know what it's like to not be able to learn anything at locals. Oklahomo is trash.

badguy    706

since you run sabers you have the cards to be good you just the experience because experience becomes skill.

• Downvote 5

Ω Xilξ Ω    147

since you run sabers you have the cards to be good you just the experience because experience becomes skill.

What does having cards have to do with being good?

OT: Just play better players, I find it helps when you stick and master 1 deck rather than switching to a deck that has just topped. You need a good few months with a deck playing against a large variety of decks to really become good with it.

• Upvote 1