How to Win Friends and Influence People

Think and Grow Rich

Eat that Frog!

The Spell of Sensuous

Food of the Gods

Darwin's Pharmacy

Wilson    12516

Graviity's Rainbow, which is taking quite a long time

so I took a break last week and read Brave New World, Candide and started Don Quixote

Also re-reading Master and Margharita 

Seki    44
I read Master and Margharita, too. Last summer I was at some places in Moscow which the story refers to and where the author lived, was pretty cool.

The book is well written but I'm not a fan of stories in which you permanently gotta question whether what happens is real or a dream/whatever (don't remember it too well anymore)

Wilson    12516

is there some question of the reality of it all?

if so I never picked up on it

It all seemed concrete, albeit fantastical.

Seki    44
I mean within the story. It obviously includes stuff like satan himself taking part in it etc. but people become crazy over what happens and so I continuously asked myself "is this really happening or are these just his crazy thoughts?"

so I took a break last week and read Brave New World, Candide and started Don Quixote

I read V to prepare for gravitys rainbow and it took me a month to finish it. the best way to describe his work is like "the best worst book you'll read" because like V was good but it was also really bad and i cant explain why other than it was all over the place and really weird and pomo but i somehow enjoyed it

Wilson    12516

I read V to prepare for gravitys rainbow and it took me a month to finish it. the best way to describe his work is like "the best worst book you'll read" because like V was good but it was also really bad and i cant explain why other than it was all over the place and really weird and pomo but i somehow enjoyed it

see that's what I should have done, it feels like actual work to read.

website is bad    2172

Got Straitjacket Society + Simulacra & Simulation for Christmas (lotta s in there).

Let's get knowledgeable.

+Urthor    10208

ARC of the Fool's Quest.

RIP my weekend.  This series is actually the fucking greatest if you're into Fantasy, Fool's Assasin was twice as good as anything Robin Hobb has done b4, and Robin Hobb is very good

Fullerene60    381

Currently reading moonwalking with Einstein.

The book is shocking, its a narrative on a writers journey from knowing nothing about competetive memory contests to winning US nationals in just a year. Its a self help book disguised as something entertaining. The techniques are no longer used today because of our information age but you'll be able to win some bar bets by being able to memorize an entire shuffled deck of cards in about 2 minutes. 

The Ween    237
Thanks for posting that urthor. Was a great read. Gaiman's American Gods is one of my all time favorites.

+Urthor    10208

It's funny because whilst I thought that American Gods was a very good book when I first read it, upon re-reading I felt it was a little flat, maybe it's just the twist idk.  Gaiman's "magic" for me seems to be in his other works, Gods, whilst it has an insane plotline, kinda reads good but not "great."

+Sophocles    3066

yo let's bring this thread back to life!

Currently reading:

All the Light we Cannot see; Anthony Doerr- Really touching book, short chapters give mostly impressions and the atmosphere of short scenes. That said it still somehow manages to drag on sometimes

Tetralogue: I'm right and You're Wrong; Timothy Williamsson - Socratic dialogue set on a train, sort? I got this for Christmas based on a really good review but it's been a bit of a letdown. I like reading philosophy but mostly accessible texts, and this one just doesn't really draw my attention.

buckwheatloaf    205

i like this writer named g.k. chesterton. i read his books all the time on the bus. he's like really genius and stuff.

here's a part from the introduction to his book the defendant which was just a bunch of essays defending random things like the making of rash vows :D. i was trying to make wikiquote pages for his books after i finished them using my highlights from my kindle but i got really behind on that, but i did make one for this one.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Defendant

In certain endless uplands, uplands like great flats gone dizzy, slopes that seem to contradict the idea that there is even such a thing as a level, and make us all realize that we live on a planet with a sloping roof, you will come from time to time upon whole valleys filled with loose rocks and boulders, so big as to be like mountains broken loose. The whole might be an experimental creation shattered and cast away. It is often difficult to believe that such cosmic refuse can have come together except by human means. The mildest and most cockney imagination conceives the place to be the scene of some war of giants. To me it is always associated with one idea, recurrent and at last instinctive. The scene was the scene of the stoning of some prehistoric prophet, a prophet as much more gigantic than after-prophets as the boulders are more gigantic than the pebbles. He spoke some words—words that seemed shameful and tremendous—and the world, in terror, buried him under a wilderness of stones. The place is the monument of an ancient fear.

If we followed the same mood of fancy, it would he more difficult to imagine what awful hint or wild picture of the universe called forth that primal persecution, what secret of sensational thought lies buried under the brutal stones. For in our time the blasphemies are threadbare. Pessimism is now patently, as it always was essentially, more commonplace than piety. Profanity is now more than an affectation—it is a convention. The curse against God is Exercise I. in the primer of minor poetry. It was not, assuredly, for such babyish solemnities that our imaginary prophet was stoned in the morning of the world. If we weigh the matter in the faultless scales of imagination, if we see what is the real trend of humanity, we shall feel it most probable that he was stoned for saying that the grass was green and that the birds sang in spring; for the mission of all the prophets from the beginning has not been so much the pointing out of heavens or hells as primarily the pointing out of the earth.

Religion has had to provide that longest and strangest telescope—the telescope through which we could see the star upon which we dwelt. For the mind and eyes of the average man this world is as lost as Eden and as sunken as Atlantis. There runs a strange law through the length of human history—that men are continually tending to undervalue their environment, to undervalue their happiness, to undervalue themselves.

I figured I would try to bring this thread back, since it seems useful for reading recommendations...

Anyways, I just finished what is out of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, I am trying to pick up the Dark Towers series, but last time I tried I didn't really get more than 45-50 pages in.

• Upvote 1