Social Justice Black Mage

What book(s) are you currently reading?

+rei+    34421

I just ordered a Kindle and it'll be there when I get home

I'm probably going to start with The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler - I miss hardboiled literature (and fucking love the Maltese Falcon) so I figured I'd dive right in

Also on my list is a mugglenet book about all the debates in Harry Potter, because thats how I roll

I also grabbed a bunch of free books, ones I plan to read are The Adventures of Sherlock Homes and The Picture of Dorian Gray, not sure where I'll go from there, I'll consult bookgroundz again. I might read the new Dan Brown as even though he's a joke, I did have fun with The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons, even though all four of his books are identical prior to TLS.

Living Legend    3798

A Cool Million - Nathanael West

novella, already read his other 3, west is an amazing author but (at the risk of sounding like a colossal douche) he is really obscure. check him out!

Next up:

The Hermaphrodite - Julia Ward Howe

Over the Anvil We Stretch - Anis Mojgani

i wanna read Everything Is Illuminated, Naked Lunch, and Blood Meridian at some point

Ammit    5159

Wizard and Glass - second go through of the Dark Tower series.

On the Road - seems awesome.

• Upvote 1

Kerouac wasn't a hipster/beatnik. he started the movement it but he hated it, and ended up resenting the overnight icon status he had. he does have a lot of ideas that make you think, and really this is imo the most essential book to read for anyone 19-23. he had many great ideas, but don't think of it as like ideas of what a hipster thought or that they were the morals of the beat generation. he went across America trying to find the american dream, realized it doesn't exist at the end, and wrote about the feelings he had from his experience. i suggest dharma bums next, its novella length so it can be a quick read but its really good.

+rei+    34421

Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-5

Yeah

ALso a ton of Oracle documentation

Living Legend    3798

Kerouac wasn't a hipster/beatnik. he started the movement it but he hated it, and ended up resenting the overnight icon status he had. he does have a lot of ideas that make you think, and really this is imo the most essential book to read for anyone 19-23. he had many great ideas, but don't think of it as like ideas of what a hipster thought or that they were the morals of the beat generation. he went across America trying to find the american dream, realized it doesn't exist at the end, and wrote about the feelings he had from his experience. i suggest dharma bums next, its novella length so it can be a quick read but its really good.

this is all true but all i meant was that on the road represents the penultimate experience for the hipsters of today that simply can't happen in the society we live in now. everyone wants to be neal cassady.

▲Ɐ▲    3878

on the road is a great read that, much like the metamorphosis and notes from underground, is unfortunately namedropped by hipsters that wikipedia'd a synopsis and posted the "the only ones for me.." bit on their facebook

anyway i just finished dance dance dance by haruki murakami. surreal, dark and full of 80s cultural references; i was pretty much guaranteed an enjoyable read. way better than norwegian wood, which didn't really resonate with me (either because I couldn't for the life of me understand the main character's actions, or the cultural references were too 60s for me).

gonna give camus' the rebel a go when im not reading maths books

+rei+    34421

yeah, I know what you mean, its thesame reason I stayed away from like Vonnegut for so long because geek/literary hipsters suck his dick.

juanithan    78

I opened Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, but it's just mehish...Dunno if I wanna finish it...

I'm hoping to find a copy of Koji Suzuki's Birthday, the final installment of his Ring series (The books that inspired the horror movies), but I might need to order it online sometime :(

Light.    49

Just finished

Codex Magica , Secret Signs, Mysterious Symbols, and Hidden Codes of the Illuminati

Confessions of an economic hitman

About to read:

Sun tzu the art of war

Morals and Dogma

»Ray    1888

Recently finished Burmese Days by Orwell: first 80 pages or so are a bit of a slog, but the book becomes incredible when Elizabeth is introduced. Obviously not his finest work, but still excellent stuff, would recommend.

I'm now re-reading 1984; it was my favourite book when I read it so I'm just checking to see if it still is. So far, I think Coming Up For Air and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? might be sorta equal with it.

• Upvote 1

i never got the vonnegutt hype. i mean slaughter house five has a good idea, but from what i read his prose is so fucking annoying. I heard cats cradle is a lot better anyway and i always finish what i start so I'm going to reread it and then cat's cradle. the only two i never really did was love is a dog from hell because i tried twice and stop at the same point, and choke because nothing happened after 100 pages.

+rei+    34421

most i've talked to say Breakfast of Champions is the best

»...Arson    7758

just read watchers by dean koontz

reading the dark tower series by stephen king, on the 2nd book. (of 7)

I have purchased slaughter house five. it is in my backpack and i will read it soon.

• Upvote 1

SSJ Grumpig    5618

how are you liking the dark tower series so far? i fucking loved it

• Upvote 1