Social Justice Black Mage

What book(s) are you currently reading?

Ammit    5159

Kerouac wasn't a hipster/beatnik. he started the movement it but he hated it, and ended up resenting the overnight icon status he had. he does have a lot of ideas that make you think, and really this is imo the most essential book to read for anyone 19-23. he had many great ideas, but don't think of it as like ideas of what a hipster thought or that they were the morals of the beat generation. he went across America trying to find the american dream, realized it doesn't exist at the end, and wrote about the feelings he had from his experience. i suggest dharma bums next, its novella length so it can be a quick read but its really good.

this is all true but all i meant was that on the road represents the penultimate experience for the hipsters of today that simply can't happen in the society we live in now. everyone wants to be neal cassady.

Yeah, I've had thoughts like this while reading it so far, at least regarding being Neal Cassady. Also, will check out Dharma Bums, the book I got from the library has some of Kerouac's other stuff in addition to On the Road, including The Dharma Bums.

Lirum    590

We Were Soldiers Once ...And Young

Fantastic documentation on one of the first major battles of the Viet Nam war. Written by the commanding battalion commander of the battle, with insight from the opposing Vietnamese general he was fighting against. VERY often quotes other soldiers to get their take on how the battle went.

Never read a book that felt this real before. Obviously because it's non-fiction, but one of the things the book does is every man it names it will go in depth about their person. Their age, rank, age, often how long they'd been with the unit, often how long they had left in their tour. Really adds a sense of "these people really existed".

»Ray    1888

Catcher in the Rye - J.D Salinger

»Farley    1035

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

Getting there. Its so fucking brutal. The writing style is completely different from what I've previously read too. Currently loving it.

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34503

Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis

Wilson    12515

A big book of Orwell, I particurlarly liked 1984 and A Clergyman's daughter.

The first four Hitchiker books, I probably enjoyed Restaurant... the most followed by thhgttg.

And I'm about to start Catch 22 when I go to bed. :)

»Ray    1888

Not a Coming Up For Air fan? I've got Clergyman's Daughter to start soon.

Just finished Catcher in the Rye; very good. Really depressed me, though. Holden Caulfield is one of the saddest characters I've ever read about.

Going to bed in a minute and might start Picture of Dorian Gray.

brotacular7    1574

The Giver (1993)

The Catcher in the Rye (1951)

Really wanna get through the first one asap (it's not very good so far ;_; )

giver i never really got into. the catcher in the rye is amazing though

»Rimmer    2210

Most of the stuff I have to read right now is for university, which is annoying as shit since I have so many books of my own I want to read.

Hegemony or Survival - Noam Chomsky.

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - James Joyce.

An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding - David Hume.

World Poverty and Human Rights - Thomas Pogge.

The Faerie Queen - Edmund Spenser.

Wilson    12515

Not a Coming Up For Air fan? I've got Clergyman's Daughter to start soon.

Just finished Catcher in the Rye; very good. Really depressed me, though. Holden Caulfield is one of the saddest characters I've ever read about.

Going to bed in a minute and might start Picture of Dorian Gray.

Well I did enjoy it, I just didn't think it was one of the best.

Tbh I think my Dad built it up too much for me.

I'll be re-reading them all when I get time though, it might've been lost on me the first time.

brighteyes    2150

Reading The Little Prince as we speak.

Anyone have links to free books/literature online?

»...Arson    7758

how are you liking the dark tower series so far? i fucking loved it

in love with it so far.

SSJ Grumpig    5618

the giver was a good ass book mayng

Living Legend    3798

read the stranger for class this week. did it in a night, easy read. good stuff, i like camus but i don't know how much i love the book. everyone i've mentioned it to says it's one of their favorites but i didn't feel that strongly about it.

currently reading a book on Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, interesting stuff. I heard a reading of a great book called Skippy Dies that i really want to check out. i have break next week so before i leave nyc i want to check out the library, cuz i'm always bored at home.

Living Legend    3798

oh and things they carried is great, the one about the kid deciding if he wants to run away for canada left me in tears.