orangeeyes

Questions for cool college kids

Dank Memeston    1716
Well, Hammergirl only does Pkmn (no prizes), Weiss (not consistant, I believe), and Vanguard (only get a promo) tournaments. Hammer Girl is also an anime/manga shop, not a card shop. They do sell Weiss, Pkmn, and Vg sized sleeves and cards but otherwise they sell Japanese imports, Manga, anime, posters, etc.

Millennium Games and Hobbies (which I go to) is literally a 5 min. walk from Hammer and about a 20ish to 30ish walk from RIT. A ton of people go play there from RIT... so I was wondering if he might have already started going, if at all. RIT also has its own game club that hosts Yugioh tournaments, I believe.

Anyways, I'm getting distracted again. lol

Nate1080    1233
Nah. He doesn't have his cards anymore. He gave them to a friend of ours; he's thinking about getting back into the game if he can get some cards.

And yeah, we are getting sidetracked, lol.

+Urthor    10229
Buying the books 2nd hand from other students is the way to go, but if the Amazon or whoever has a really good deal on a 2nd hand textbook get it before the start of classes. Just consider if your actually going to need the textbook, business maths and science you'll 100% need it, other subjects you may just be fine borrowing it from the library if you need it.

Bazoo    5700
[quote name='Shaman' timestamp='1344572948' post='3250759']
Should I get my books prior to the start of classes?
[/quote]

I always thought it was a good idea to get it early, especially if you want to get a small jump on the class (which is also similarly a good idea). Urthor is right that you will probably get the best deal from another student, and try to look on craigslist for your school's area. This will especially be useful if your school has a "special edition" of a textbook it ordered for just the class. That being said, often people just list the Amazon price anyway, so I'd say I buy 20% from craigslist (I HATE dealing with people on craigslist to be honest) and 80% from online, and that's why I personally order early, as to get it early.

Often my bookstore will give back about like 3/4ths of what I bought online, and other times I actually profit off amazon purchases. I keep some books, but all said I probably only spend $30-40 a semester after I sell back.

Azn_Boy    378
ebay, half.com, and amazon marketplace

My bookstore is a ripoff, most of the time they don't buy back books if there's a new edition of the book coming out next year.

[quote name='Azn_Boy' timestamp='1344604290' post='3250912']
ebay, half.com, and amazon marketplace

My bookstore is a ripoff, most of the time they don't buy back books if there's a new edition of the book coming out next year.
[/quote]
college bookstores are a ripoff in general. i buy and sell my books on amazon.

»orangeeyes    11863
wait like 2-3 weeks to buy textbooks, get a feel for the class and decide if you'll need the "required textbook or not." basically, until they say "the assignment is from page blablabla"
  • Upvote 1

chrisbiswell    635
half.com for buying and then selling your books afterwards. anything short of buying something from another student is a waste of money.

i tend to wait until at least after day one of class before i buy my books. some profs recognize and hate what publishers are doing to students as far as books are concerned and the only reason their class will have a book listed is because they were told they had to. some classes also will just use books as a starting point to guide a class discussion, and generally speaking if that is the case then you will see what will be discussed that day on a syllabus and can just look the concept up online and become informed of it that way.

if a prof's class is heavily influenced by the text you will know on day one and will have some time to pick up the book. if picking up the book takes longer than it should then inform the prof of the situation and see if the campus library has it.

i also suggest trying to find a torrent of your books, but in my experience it's been really difficult to find any of the books for my classes.

chrisbiswell    635
[quote name='Shaman' timestamp='1344625313' post='3251108']
So professors don't usually assign book work on the first day?
[/quote]

some do, some don't. it comes to your comfort level of waiting to get text. personally, i'm fine with waiting because in my experience even if they assign reading A. it won't be graded and B. i can catch up in the reading when I finally get the text and it won't affect my exam grade. You should email the prof before class starts to find out for a fact if they are going to assign something.

Also, talk to your profs. If you have to wait to get a book because you just don't have the money right then, then tell them. Unless they are a fuck head then they'll understand and try and work with you. If they are a shit then not having the book on your first day of class will be the least of your problems while taking their course.

chrisbiswell    635
Yeah, if there is a material that's needed that goes beyond books, you def are going to need it, otherwise there would be no reason for the prof to list it.

Azn_Boy    378
[quote name='Shaman' timestamp='1344625961' post='3251120']
Alright and I also have a robotics kit listed with the books for Intro to Engineering and some kind of clicker for a different class. I'm assuming those are necessities.
[/quote]
The clicker will be used frequently during college.

Thanatos    516
unless you can borrow the intro book or you dont need it, dont get it. clicker is mandatory for some freshman classes for attendance. SO DONT GET IT IF 5% DONT MATTER TO YOU

Bazoo    5700
[quote name='ChrisBiswell' timestamp='1344625758' post='3251119']
[quote name='Shaman' timestamp='1344625313' post='3251108']
So professors don't usually assign book work on the first day?
[/quote]
Unless they are a fuck head then they'll understand and try and work with you.
[/quote]

you underestimate the amount of fuckheads teaching college classes, particularly in engineering

Bazoo    5700
Maybe this is anecdotal but I've never once had a class where a book was listed, but somehow was not used at all. I order books early because there's no way I can wait 2-3 weeks into a class to not read and fall behind. I would wait if a book is listed at $150+ or something though because then it seems sketchy, but in that case I just e-mail the professor (and -usually- they respond with enough time).

actually I'd be pissed if I took a class and it somehow involved 0 reading

Donnie    2189
Depends if you attend a research or teaching university. Research universities have professors that are there to do just that, teaching is an after thought. Teaching universities are the opposite, of course in a subject like math you won't see any difference but when you get into the Liberal Arts and less concrete studies you might notice it. Also use of TAs, does the professor do the teaching or just the grading, or vice versa.

Ammit    5159
Depends on the classes for me. I've changed my major three times and needed books to differing degrees depending on the classes. Most of my film classes that have books assigned we need, because we have to do readings on the films we watch. I actually managed fine without for my one history class because most of the stuff from the lectures was more important.

ggggg    3613
[quote]
[b] Naked ice hockey, an orgy in the penalty box and drinking in the showers: What REALLY went on at Boston University hockey team’s notorious Agganis Arena party[/b]
[list]
[*][size=1]The debauched details emerged following a Boston University report on the 'culture of sexual entitlement' by its hockey players[/size]
[*][size=1]Confidential part of the report paints a worrying picture of the attitude of some of the university's hockey players towards sex[/size]
[*][size=1]One player told investigators: 'You don’t ask [permission for sex] when you are drunk'[/size]
[*][size=1][b]Some hockey players at the university boast about their sexual exploits on Facebook[/b][/size]
[/list]
By [url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=&authornamef=Anthony+Bond+"]Anthony Bond [/url]
[b]PUBLISHED:[/b] 08:15 EST, 7 September 2012 | [b]UPDATED:[/b] 13:58 EST, 7 September 2012 <p class="article-icon-links-container">[list]
[*][url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2199704/Naked-ice-hockey-orgy-penalty-box-drinking-showers-What-REALLY-went-Boston-University-hockey-team-s-notorious-Agganis-Arena-party.html#comments"] Comments (7) [/url]
[*][url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2199704/Naked-ice-hockey-orgy-penalty-box-drinking-showers-What-REALLY-went-Boston-University-hockey-team-s-notorious-Agganis-Arena-party.html#socialLinks"] Share [/url]
[*][list]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[/list]
[/list]

[size=1]Lurid details have emerged of the sexual antics of university hockey players at a controversial championship party - which includes students having sex in the penalty box.[/size]
[size=1]The debauched details emerged after Boston University released a report on the 'culture of sexual entitlement' by its hockey players.[/size]
[size=1]Many of the details of the investigation - which includes tales of sexual debauchery - were only revealed in confidential subcommittee reports.[/size]

[img]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/09/07/article-2199704-14E392FB000005DC-433_634x471.jpg[/img]
Troubling: Lurid details have emerged of the sexual antics of Boston University hockey players at a controversial championship party - which includes students having sex in the penalty box
[size=1]However, these documents - which have been reported by the[/size][url="http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/09/06/salacious-details-emerge-from-hockey-subcommittee-reports/E7I6SS0sBHrNKeXVzY2b9N/story.html"][size=1]Boston Globe[/size][/url][size=1] [/size][size=1]- paint a worrying picture of the attitude of some of the university's hockey players towards sex.[/size]

[size=1]The report contained details of a late-night championship party in 2009 at the Agganis Arena which revealed that: [/size][list]
[*][size=1]Students were having sex in the penalty box [/size][size=1]on the ice[/size]
[*][size=1]Dozens of guests drank from beer kegs in the locker room showers[/size]
[*][size=1]Party-goers took to the ice naked to shoot ice pucks[/size]
[/list]

[size=1]Details of the party have now only emerged after a task force was launched in February when two Boston University hockey players were charged with sexual assault.[/size]
[size=1]The investigation by the task force found that [/size][size=1]some hockey players - when surrounded by fans - had 'the perception that they need not seek consent for sexual contact.'[/size]
[size=1]One player told investigators: 'You don’t ask [permission for sex] when you are drunk.'[/size]

[img]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/09/07/article-2199704-14E39824000005DC-614_634x418.jpg[/img]
Wild: The report contained details of a late-night championship party in 2009 at the Agganis Arena, pictured here for basketball, which revealed that party-goers took to the ice naked to shoot ice pucks
[size=1]The task force was told by one female student that a hockey player had put his hands down her pants at a party and, despite the fact that she was punching him, refused to stop.[/size]
[size=1]When asked why she had not reported the incident to authorities, she replied: 'that’s just what [BU hockey players] do.'[/size]
[size=1]The reports also found that some hockey players at the university boast about their sexual exploits on Facebook, often referring to conquests as 'kills'.[/size]
[size=1]Many of the hockey players, the investigation found, regularly engage in group sex.[/size]
[size=1]The university campus police and administrators did not find out about the controversial 2009 party until this year once the task force investigation started.[/size]

[img]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/09/07/article-2199704-14E523B4000005DC-166_634x286.jpg[/img]
Party goers were having sex in the penalty box, drank from beer kegs in the locker room showers and took to the ice naked to shoot ice pucks. Players also put on Facebook their female conquests

[size=1]It has emerged that during interviews with investigators hockey coach Jack Parker said at first that he did not know about the party. However, he later acknowledged that he knew some of the men had been drinking in the locker room.[/size]
[size=1]Despite this, two players and a member of staff said that within a few days of the party, the coach had reprimanded the team for its behaviour.[/size]
[size=1]The subcommittee report also found that some of the hockey players are less academically gifted than the vast majority of their classmates. [/size]
[size=1]One professor described how six hockey players intimidated their classmates and answered their mobile phones during lectures. Eventually all six of the players dropped out of the class. However, another professor said hockey players were respectful and prepared.[/size]
[size=1]Following a recommendation by the task force, Parker has been stripped of the title of executive athletic director.[/size] [size=1]He still keeps another title.[/size]
[size=1]However, he will still continue as coach and will earn the same salary.[/size]
[size=1]The public report has made 14 recommendations, which the university intends to implement.[/size]
[/quote]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2199704/Naked-ice-hockey-orgy-penalty-box-drinking-showers-What-REALLY-went-Boston-University-hockey-team-s-notorious-Agganis-Arena-party.html

lol

<3
  • Upvote 2

gobstopper    125
read a couple pages in this thread and its amazing how many self proclaimed "cool" university kids really have no idea whats going on

»orangeeyes    11863
SAE, the "elite" fraternity on my campus got kicked off for hazing and letting a blacked out girl crack her head open on some cement at their house. all their live-in members are technically homeless now.

lol
  • Upvote 3

theraybrams    10

haha. protips:

-pick house parties over frat parties: no ratio, although sometimes you might have to throw fives. and you won't have to worry about not being able to bring a fellow guy friend or two. (plus, the girls are less threatened by dudes that aren't dry-humping them. trust me. i know.)

-don't smoke in your dorm room. i've seen kids get kicked out the day after move-in from that dumb shit. either get a vaporizer or do it outside. it's better than losing ten grand for housing. 

-i'm a big class-skipper, but i'd avoid regularly skipping unless you 1) know the prof won't murder you (ratemyprofessors.com), and 2) have a friend or two in the class that is willing to help you out with missed assignments and/or excuses and/or signing you in when you're not there. 

the best life-lesson i've learned in college is how to be lazy without making it seem like you are. fake it, fake it. 

be strategic in your mischief, young padawan. you will learn. 

for dem dere british kids

6th form is really fucking hard, uni is piss easy in comparison

your online uni workspace will be your savior for model answers and past papers galore

learn the exams/seminars, the actual content is long winded and mostly unnecessary 

join a society that isn't gay (i wish i joined american football over fucking physics and astronomy)

you will either put on or lose a shit ton of weight

quit your MMOs around a month before exams (not that you need a month revision, but you will not just quit instantly lol)

revise in the library. 24/7 uni libraries are awesome and there's nothing to distract you besides facebook (deal with it)

never buy full price takeaway. dominos hand out 50% vouchers (only time you should ever use dominos) and most takeaways do any 2 pizzas for £6-8 depending on size

Aaron    2051

for UK ppl:

sixth form: 

go out, drink, have fun, fake ID, bars, clubs, girls.

get past exam papers from 1989 til now for each of your topics. read your syllabus at the start of the year. buy 2 good textbooks per subject. use the past papers, syllabus and text books to make sure you cover everything. don't listen to your teachers (if they are good teachers, you will learn the wrong shit because the exam boards suck in terms of testing how passionate you are and how far your knowledge extends). suck up to one teacher, suck up to your deputy headmaster and headmaster cos they do your reference. put in any mitigating circumsances you can. 

do your personal statement and makes sure its good.

get volunteer work on there and get 2-3x different work experiences.

i guarantee following that you will reach the top 5% academically in the UK.

university: 

if you are doing a normal course where you need to get 40% to pass, then just chill out until the last month. make sure nothing matters in year 1. concentrate on finding job offers (i.e. if ur in law go through an agency).

if you do something a bit harder, then set apart 1 day a week where you study for 10-15 hour marathon in the library. dont worry about knowing stuff, just concentrate on building a very condensed set of notes. then once you hit christmas, study 4 hours a day. easter, 5 hours a day. you should be fine. 

network in university on your course and upper years. get any past papers you can. 

be single for the first year of university and have a lot of fun. don't just bang students, try to get with local girls because it will extend the circle of people you know immensely. 

visit DGZ, watch animes, watch TV shows, watch movies when you feel you are going off the rails or during exam time.

have a diverse group of friends and be nice to everyone. 

dont get involved in first year dramas because 90% of people are fucking clueless in first year. 

• Upvote 1