Sign in to follow this  
scruffy the janitor

help me car croundz

Situation: Things are falling apart. I have about 2k that i'll need to buy the car and insurance and all the BS things that go with it. I don't have amazing credit but I could probably get financing for 2-3k with the down-payment I have access to.

Work: Delivery Driver for Jimmy John's Subs. 8/hr + tips. 18 hours scheduled each week but I usually get 25/26. Could get more if I wanted them. Usually ends Make about 400 a week after tips with 30 a week going into the gas tank regularly. Would prefer to own car (clears out a bill for when I get my own place)

What is my best option in regards to moving forward with a car?

+rei+    34352

let her keep it, buy a ten year old honda for two grand that sips gas.

I saw an ad for a 2003 Hyundai Elentra for 2k w/ 170k miles through a dealer.

I know the miles are risky, but it seems like a good car while I make some quick bank.

Thoughts?

Sell some cards for now, and rebuy later; especially with all the reprints.

Sorry for bringing yugi into this, but the average extra deck is still fairly hefty, just sell it and play gb until you've ripped enough kids traded up enough to get back what you want. I honestly don't even have a (decent) binder yet it's surprising how much your deck is, I'm gonna sell my infernities when I run out of food at uni.

Also, vending cards is a great way to make money. I bought my (albeit shitty) fiat punto off a month's worth of vending on ebay; I've seen you already buy up cards anyway so just keep at it.

Sell some cards for now, and rebuy later; especially with all the reprints.

Sorry for bringing yugi into this, but the average extra deck is still fairly hefty, just sell it and play gb until you've ripped enough kids traded up enough to get back what you want. I honestly don't even have a (decent) binder yet it's surprising how much your deck is, I'm gonna sell my infernities when I run out of food at uni.

Also, vending cards is a great way to make money. I bought my (albeit shitty) fiat punto off a month's worth of vending on ebay; I've seen you already buy up cards anyway so just keep at it.

Takes time. Time I am in short supply of. I have a good supply of cards with actual value so I can just cash out quick for a grand or so. Finding buyers is difficult though.

»Barron    7985

this.

and also 94-99 camry's are really reliable aswell

i really don't like Hyundai & Kia cause i see more break down more than other cars here :S

also if you can find a car that's sold privately, from an senior, they usually have their cars clean and maintainced and have lower milage. Some friends and other people i know needed cars for college and work and they got camry's/civic's/accords with 75k-100k really cheap about $4,xxx-8,xxx from senior people.

just throwing that up there bro.

+rei+    34352

Kia got really reliable around 2006-2007 - older than that avoid

Hyundai is similar but I can't remember what year they started to get solid.

Hyundai got better the same time Kia did. My sister's put 100k on her 07 Accent with nothing but oil changes, tires and brakes.

+rei+    34352

buying a volvo is like a confession of stupidity and fear.

VW diesels are great and awesome. VW gas cars from the last 7 years or so are somewhat unreliable but older ones are better.

Honkey Kong    11

VW diesels are great and awesome. VW gas cars from the last 7 years or so are somewhat unreliable but older ones are better.

what's wrong with volvo?

I think I can find something really good for about 2k. I've mostly been looking on craigslist and seeing what there is to see.

What should I do first in regards to looking at these cars? What signs of legitimate problems on the horizon should I be looking for?

Are there obvious things or is bringing someone who knows cars almost a must?

+rei+    34352

what's wrong with volvo?

Price point for what you get. If you're attempting to compete on price with BMW, Lexus, Infiniti et al, you better deliver some form of comparable quality... and they don't. They have their "supar safe" hype behind them but it's not like its way more safe than the competition any more, and the cost comes at fuel economy, comfort, and driving style... and you're still spending a fucking fortune on it.

i'd say their quality really turned around in 05, i did a study on them for an econ project. It's hard to go wrong with the newer hyundais, altho the ones from before the improvement are pretty unreliable and should be avoided.

the newer ones are great tho. right up there with honda and toyota and u can get them cheaper sometimes