Sign in to follow this  
Guest y‪‪

I need a car

Guest salad   
Guest salad

I can spend $3,500-5,000, would like something that gets good gas and won't have a billion problems.

Honkey Kong    11

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2001-Ford-Ranger-Edge-Pickup-Truck-W0QQAdIdZ234789101

Basically if you want something that can withstand abuse and can actually get good gas milage, a ford ranger is what I would suggest. This particular model(i own the same truck. mine's a 2005 and it's white) has raised and stiff suspension and it actually handles nice. mine has the 3.0 litre vulcan V6, and I can get 24-26 mpg, which is good for a motor that still uses iron heads and block, but if you want something with a little bit more power, get a 4.0 litre.

or if you want a car........Go foreign. mitsubishi, voltswagon, or whatever, because for some reason, domestic cars sucked donkey balls in late 90's and early 2000's. if you want dsomestic, then you'll have to go older, or go with a truck.

+rei+    34352

If you go domestic, stick with ford newer than 2000.

But seriously, Honda, Toyota, or Subaru are the places you should be looking. A VW is good if you can find a diesel, but if you cant you might have maintenance nightmares.

Ideally VW diesel is perfect for you - the engines go 600 000 miles easy, and you'll get 50mpg.

+rei+    34352

Every mechanic with a pulse can repair a foreign car. If you've heard otherwise its fearmongering - german cars have more expensive parts though.

Insurance costs a lot till you are in your 20s. Get a Toyota, it's got a lot of mileage like my friend Michelle but it still runs at 300k miles

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34352

theres no problem with buying a honda or toyota made in the 90s

btw can youd rive stick? its a lot cheaper to fix one than an auto.

Honkey Kong    11
If you go domestic, stick with ford newer than 2000.

even then, you have to watch out what kind of car you get from ford in that time frame.

the crown victoria in the early 2000's are still good, but the gas milage is identical to that of their late 80's model with the 302 in it. you might be able to get a mustang, but usually those cars have the surpreme shit driven out of them, so I wouldn't touch a used mustang with a 10 foot pole, unless it's bought by somebody i know has taken really good care of it.

basically, he's much better off with a foreign.

+rei+    34352

true, but used market is what it is, take what you can find right?

Honkey Kong    11

Exactly. you just gotta research and look.

Alternatively, you may have to pick up an old reliable beater for dirt cheap. The old chrysler dynastys, new yorkers, acclaims with the 3.3's in them are reliable as hell. my brother owned one of each of those cars, and the body went on them before the motors did. As a matter of fact, he had a 92 acclaim with the 3.3 in it, and that thing had 400 000 kms on it before he sent it to the wreckers and bought a lincoln town car. the car still ran, but was just miled out, and I can tell you from first hand experience that miled out cars don't get too much milage before thing grenade on them. those motors got 26 mpg, which is still pretty damn good.

like fuck, it's too bad you don't live anywhere near I live, because we don't salt our roads, and we have old crown victorias, caprices, 5th avenues as old as 1978 that have almost prestine bodies and even low milages if owned by some old lady who only drove it to church on sunday.

+rei+    34352

and AWD

AWD doesn't mean fuck all if you don't have decent tires on it ;)

And thats different to any other drivetrain how?

I'm not praising it for its "better in snow" ability so much as the "no fucking wheelspin on launch" ability and the better handling / lack of crippling understeer or torque steer.

+rei+    34352

Saabs are fun as hell to drive but expensive to maintain.