Sign in to follow this  
Patrick Hoban

Patrick Hoban's Undefeated Atlanta Regional Report with Fish

Patrick Hoban    6368

Friday:

I get home from school and go to my grandparent’s house. I was really tired and they weren’t there when I got home, so I fell asleep. I wake up around 6 and they had just come home. They brought Chick-fil-A with them. After I eat, they give me their car keys for the weekend and some money. I leave and head to Meechie’s house. I pick him up and we go back to my house. My mom just got home. She said she’d give us $20 to go get Ice Cream if we put together her automatic litter box. We do and then we go to Scoops, an Ice Cream store down town. When we leave there, he says he’s hungry and hasn’t eaten, so we go to Wendy’s. We go back to my house again and chill for about an hour. It’s like 9:30 and I’m like, “Want to go to the movies?” He says sure and we decide to go see Baby Fockers. The movie starts in like 10 minutes and the movie theater was 15 minutes away. I speed like crazy to get there. We make it and watch the movie. It was pretty funny. It seemed like my whole school was at the movies. We go back to my house, Meechie goes to sleep and I build my deck. This is what I ran:

Monsters: 23

3 Superancient Deepsea King Coelacanth

3 Swap Frog

3 Fishborg Blaster

3 Oyster Meister

3 Dupe Frog

2 Snowman Eater

2 Treeborn Frog

2 Light and Darkness Dragon

1 Ronintoadin

1 Gorz the Emissary of Darkness

Spells: 17

3 Moray of Greed

3 Pot of Duality

3 Enemy Controller

2 Mystical Space Typhoon

2 Gold Sarcophagus

1 Cold Wave

1 Giant Trunade

1 Monster Reborn

1 Dark Hole

Extra Deck: 15

2 Armory Arm

3 Formula Synchron

1 Sea Dragon Lord Gishilnodon

1 Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier

1 Goyo Guardian

1 Black Rose Dragon

1 Stardust Dragon

1 Scrap Dragon

1 Ally of Justice Catastor

1 Colossal Fighter

1 Shooting Star Dragon

1 Mist Wurm

Side Deck: 15

2 D.D. Crow

2 Mobius the Frost Monarch

1 Dark Dust Spirit

2 Cyber Dragon

1 Snowman Eater

1 Lightning Vortex

1 Mirror Force

1 Torrential Tribute

3 Malevolent Catastrophe

1 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon

I go to bed around 2.

Saturday:

We wake up at 6. I get in the shower and get dressed. While Meechie gets his shower, I pack up my cards. We leave about 7:20 and go to Kristal’s. It was about an hour to the regional and after eating and we get there about 8:30. I trade my super Lonefires and get like +50. Then my friends Daniel and Dom show up and look who they have with them, my nigga Josh. I haven’t seen him in over 3 years. He moved to Ohio after 07 Nats for college and just moved back. It was really good seeing him again. I sign up and write my decklist. I don’t pull anything from my packs. After that I play Harris with Peyton’s Blackwings and watch Oscar and Josh play. They take forever to get the pairings up and the player meeting starts around 11:30. Round 1 is paired shortly after the player meeting. 215 people.

Round 1:

Patrick Hoban vs. Blackwing Dragunity(?)

Pre-Match Thoughts: I remember this kid’s face, but don’t remember anything about him.

Game 1: I open an almost perfect game. Something like Swap Frog, Coelacanth, Enemy Controller, Monster Reborn, Giant Trunade, Dupe Frog.

Game 2: I Gold Sarcophagus for Swap Frog. When I get it, I Trunade and Armory Arm Colossal. He doesn’t know if that works so he calls the judge. The judge ruled in my favor.

1-0

Five minutes after the match, my round 1 opponent comes up to me saying that the judge just found him and said that Colossal Armory Arm doesn’t work. I go back to the judge and he says that he was wrong. I explain to him that it does work and he says that Colossal would have to remain in the graveyard for the burn to be dealt. He tells me that’s what the head judge told him. Well I know the head judge. I was like “Why is Neil making a stupid ruling like that.” Then the judge starts going off on me saying how I was being disrespectful to him, how he’s going to give me a loss, etc. First off, calling someone stupid and saying that they did something stupid are two different things. Next, I’m like whatever, I want to talk to Neil. Neil comes over and tells me that’s the OCG ruling. I’m like, we’re in TCG brah. I dispute it, give him similar examples as to why it works, explain why it works, etc. He’s pretty much like I don’t care. I walk off pretty pissed because it’s clearly pretty essential to the deck and it definitely does work. I remember there was a topic posted about this on ETC and that someone emailed Konami. Sure enough, Konami responded saying that it does work. I go to Keith, another friend who’s judging. Tell him what happened and show him the Email. He shows it to Neil. Neil ignores it. Then Jimmy was talking to me and goes over to ask Neil an unrelated question. Neil ignores that and thinks I’m still complaining about it and pulls me aside. He now tells me that he isn’t sure and that he’ll have to do research when he gets home. I’m like =/. Then he comes back a few minutes later and basically says “I was wrong, but I can’t change a ruling once I’ve already made it so it has to be like that the rest of the day.” I was just like, for real? So that really gets me mad and I’m like whatever and walk away. A few minutes later I need to check another ruling and walk up to the judges station to ask someone. Neil comes up to me again saying that he might be able to change the ruling after all but he has to confirm with Andre, the organizer. He’s like “Andre, if I was wrong about a ruling and now know the right answer, should I reverse it?” and Andre is like “You absolutely should.” By this time, EVERYBODY knew how they were ruling it. Right before round 2 they make an announcement reversing their ruling. Thank God!

Round 2:

Patrick Hoban vs. Machina Gadgets

Pre-Match Thoughts: He knows what I’m playing because I played his friend round 1.

Game 1: I double Armory Arm Colossal over his Gadget after Trunading a couple of turns into the game.

Game 2: This game was long. I had a Dupe Frog in face up defense with a Fishborg, Ronin and a Treeborn set. He had Thunder King and Banisher. I Enemy Controller and take Banisher. Then sack for Mobius, he Bottomlesses. He still can’t get over Dupe and ends. I have Wave and Coelacanth, but can’t win because he has Thunder King still, so I tribute for Cyber Dragon to try and run over the Thunder King, but he Trap Holes. I chain Torrential and search Swap with Dupe. Then I win next turn.

2-0

Round 3:

Patrick Hoban vs. Josh Manley, Gravekeeper’s

Pre-Match Thoughts: This was my friend who moved to Ohio.

Game 1: I have a good hand, but need 1 turn to setup. He didn’t open Tribute and I was going to win the following turn, but he drew it as his 7th card. This made the game complicated, but I eventually drew out and won.

Game 2: We sit there locked for a long time. He Royal Tributes my two card hand late game, Enemy Controller and Monster Reborn. He still had Necrovalley on the field. The next turn I draw Gold Sarcophagus and play it for Trunade. I try and stall for a few turns with just the Enemy Controller while I was relatively low. He made a major misplay though that ended up costing him the game. He MSTed my Torrential and never paid attention to what he MSTed. The turn before I got Trunade, I was at 500. I still had 1 set. He thought it might be Torrential and didn’t summon. He should have known he had to because he knew I had Reborn off the Tribute so if I got Trunade I win. He attacked and I Enemy Controller. He set a monster. I win the next turn by Reborning Coelacanth.

3-0

Round 4

Patrick Hoban vs. Hai Nguyen, Plants with Doomcaliber and Thunder King

Pre-Match Thoughts: My buddy! And he’s a good player.

Game 1: I win with 2 Light and Darkness by gaining advantage.

Game 2: Brandon told me he sided D.D. Survivor and Macro. I sided Mobius and Malevolent because of it. He didn’t. =/ I drew 3 Tributes and lost.

Game 3: He misplayed by setting Main Phase 1. Then he attacked and I Catastrophed. His field was Tyttanial and 2 Tokens. I had Dark Hole.

4-0

Round 5

Patrick Hoban vs. Blackwings

Pre-Match Thoughts: He seemed nice.

Game 1: I Colossal Armory Armed over his Sirocco for game. He could have made it so it wasn’t game if he Kaluted because I was too low. Oh well.

Game 2: My opening hand was 2 Malevolent, Mobius, and Ronin. I draw 2 Oyster Meister back-to-back. He DDVs me, but hits nothing and I win with advantage from Mobius and Malevolent.

5-0

We go to Subway after this round. When we get back Meechie pulls me aside and tells me that he got his binder stolen. That’s really depressing. He wants to quit now. I don’t know if he will. I really hope he doesn’t.

Round 6

Patrick Hoban vs. X-Sabers

Pre-Match Thoughts: Quite

Game 1: He goes Boggart, Fulhelmknight, Faultroll. He had 1 backrow and I couldn’t survive another turn so I had to go Coelacanth without Truande/Wave. I already knew the backrow wasn’t Warning though. I tribute for him and use the effect. I bring out 2 Oyster and 2 Fishborg. I make Armory Arm, then Formula, then Brionac. I bounce his set and Fulhelmknight. I still have Oyster and Coelacanth. So I bring back Fishborg twice and Armory Arm Colossal on his Faultroll.

Game 2: He goes Boggart, Airbellum, Faultroll, Faultroll. I lose turn 2.

Game 3: I Duality for Treeborn then set Snowman. He goes Boggart, Fulhelm, Faultroll, Faultroll. =/. But, wait! He was terrible! When in doubt, play it out, they’ll fuck up. He didn’t synchro main phase 1 and just attacked with Fulhelm. I killed a Faultroll. Main phase 2 he didn’t use the other Faultroll’s effect. Instead he makes Gottoms and tributes Boggart and Gottoms. Don’t know how you fuck up that badly. The game ends up being a long one, but I just play circles around him and win pretty easily. Had he not fucked up, he would have hit 3 cards in my hand. I had Dark Hole and Dark Dust Spirit in a 6 card hand with Treeborn in the grave, so it depends as to if he would have hit both of those out of 3 shots.

6-0

Round 7

Patrick Hoban vs. Plants

Pre-Match Thoughts: The judge who said I was being disrespectful’s son. I like him though.

Game 1: I Armory Arm Colossal early on.

Game 2: I draw the absolute worst hand. 6 dead cards. Lots of tributes, Moray, etc. It was so bad and only kept getting worse. I kept stalling hoping to draw a Swap Frog or something, but don’t. Worst hand ever.

Game 3: This game was complicated. I have Cold Wave, Trunade, Coelacanth. Should be black and white. He has 4 backrow so I Cold Wave so if he Solemns I can Trunade and win. Well that was all well and good until he chained Mask of Restrict. Well now I locked myself out from the Trunade for the turn. Next turn he has Black Rose, 2 sets, and Mask. I had Ronin in the grave with 3 Frogs. I had Enemy Controller, Trunade, and Coelacanth. I Trunade and he chains Book to Black Rose. Now I have no way of tributing for Coelacanth. Now he can just Mask again next turn. Fuck. I Sarc for MST to kill it. When I get it, I kill the Mask. We go into time and I’m down so I have to drop Coelacanth while he has the sets. He Bottomlesses. I get into a decent position and am now winning by about 500. I eventually win out in time because I’m able to play really aggressive because he accidently showed me his 1 set card, Cursed Seal.

7-0

Round 8

Patrick Hoban vs. Patrick, Gravekeeper’s

Pre-Match Thoughts: He was funny.

Game 1: My hand was like Swap Frog, Coelacanth, Ronintoadin, Fishborg, and LADD. He sets a monster and sets 4. I draw Wave and win on my first turn.

Game 2: I Trunade and Armory Arm Colossal turn 2 or 3.

8-0

I was excited to have gone undefeated for the first time in a couple of years. They call us for top 8. The deck checks take a long time. Hai gets a game loss for bad sleeves. I have to play the Cloaked Duelist in Top 8!

Top 8

Patrick Hoban vs. The Cloaked Duelist

Game 1: He brings out Stardust Assualt Mode. I had game, but when I go for Truande he PWWBs my Treeborn. Now I couldn’t win. I have Dark Hole and a dead card. He has Assault Mode and Stratos (I think). I rip Monster Reborn. Dark Hole, he negates. I Reborn Coelacanth and discard the only card in my hand to win.

Game 2: I get wrecked by Stardust Assualt Mode.

Game 3: He had Stardust Assualt Mode and another monster, I think it was Stratos again. I bring back Treeborn and Enemy Controller his Assualt Mode. He negates and I drop Coelacanth. Then I double Armory Arm Colossal for game. =]

So after a long day I go undefeated. I get my mat and binder. I sell the mat for $35 and head out. Pretty good day for me, but I feel really bad for Meechie.

• Upvote 7

Billiam    6

Slight problem with your round 2 game 2. That Dupe Frog would have missed the timing, seeing as it was sent to the grave between Trap Hole and Torrential. Overall, Fish seems like a fun time though and congratulations on the top and the record.

Patrick Hoban    6368

Uh yeah I think you're right looking back at it. Doesn't matter though, like I said, had Fishborg and Treeborn as the other two monsters.

Faint    5981

eh i was there too dont think i saw you though

i just flunked 2 rounds, waited a bit, stole some idiots binder then ran off

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 19

ACP    33478

Nice job. I'm looking forward to your next article, Hoban.

Genesis    449

Lol @ that judge, should have just been like, so that move was illegally played at YCS Feature matches before? But some judges have power complexes, and if they are wrong, well they end up looking ingornant regaurdless if they are right or wrong heh.

Build looked really consistant, good job.

CheeseCake    2511

We go to Subway after this round. When we get back Meechie pulls me aside and tells me that he got his binder stolen. That's really depressing. He wants to quit now. I don't know if he will. I really hope he doesn't.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

»Derezzed    1027

We go to Subway after this round. When we get back Meechie pulls me aside and tells me that he got his binder stolen. That's really depressing. He wants to quit now. I don't know if he will. I really hope he doesn't.

gg'd himself by posting that.

Final_Vent    2871

I like how after the rulings shit you win the next game by colossal/armory arm. Feels good doesn't it xD

Good job on the undefeated.

natas666    59

good shit man...def did better than i did i scrubbed the hell out of this lol...and peyton sold that bw deck to segeric b4 we left lol

gatManB    490

good job, cloaked duelist actually seems pretty decent lol. how he keeps topping with like the same deck is nuts

The Cloaked Duelist was in top 8 again?? hot damn i knew he was pretty good but wow.. nigga stay topping events with SDAM

»Exhale    6653

lolz we run the exact same list, good job buddy.

also faint was kidding, he lives in england lmao

».ben.    7422

"Game 2: He goes Boggart, Airbellum, Faultroll, Faultroll. I lose turn 2."

Exact same thing happened to me last weekend, except I was playing Frog Monarch.

It happened turn 2 as well.

GJ!