PJ

Final Fantasy

Best Final Fantasy?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. ???

Aaron    2025

I've played 10 and 7. which one should be next on my list to play? 

I liked both, probably 10 more than 7 because 7's ending was for me just a bit unfulfilling. I didn't mind 10's linearity as it gave some epic scenes. 

Neither are in my favourite games of all time. 

+rei+    34642
5, 6, or 9

5 gives you the best battle system / gameplay mechanics in the series. It's not a super serious plot though, mostly humourus/tongue in cheek

6 has the best plot in the series, the most diverse cast / the most "relevant" cast all around (not many of the players you manage feel irrelevant or 'back of the box' party members)

9 has a good blend of the 16 and 32 bit era, good-for-ps1 graphics, and a VERY satisfying conclusion / feels

+rei+    34642
biggest complaint of 9 is load times in the frequent battles

Grimey    8113

I never remember the numbers but whichever one had Terra as the main character is definitely the one you should play next

Terra, 9, Bartz

is the order I would go in 

».ben.    7438

I replayed 9 a year and a half ago, and the load times were super frustrating. 

Also, unpopular opinion: 8 and 12 were games I liked. 8's story is all over the map and the system can be broken if you try, but the music was bad ass and I liked the characters. 12 was a pretty game with, what I thought was, a pretty fun battle system. The story was solid, but the main character was worthless/dull/non-existent, and that throws some people off. 

Thanatos    516
Well if you're gunna play all the ff, just play them in order to see the changes over time.

+rei+    34642

I never remember the numbers but whichever one had Terra as the main character is definitely the one you should play next

Terra, 9, Bartz

is the order I would go in

Terra's 6, Bartz is 5
(so yeah I agree)

I replayed 9 a year and a half ago, and the load times were super frustrating. 

Also, unpopular opinion: 8 and 12 were games I liked. 8's story is all over the map and the system can be broken if you try, but the music was bad ass and I liked the characters. 12 was a pretty game with, what I thought was, a pretty fun battle system. The story was solid, but the main character was worthless/dull/non-existent, and that throws some people off.

Yeah I replayed it in december.
I liked 8 BECAUSE it was broken. I love super-engineering my characters by exploiting design and availability and rolling through the final boss at L26 (i know lower would be better i just accidentally killed some shit inc high level monsters on islands of heaven and hell while item farming - fucking Odin ruins everything for you)
I just don't like Squall. He actually made me appreciate Cloud a fuck load more (... I haven't followed any of FF7's supplimental materials)

Well if you're gunna play all the ff, just play them in order to see the changes over time.

Yeah i started two years ago and am only on FFX >_>

JustBeKrillin    375
Hes got a point though, ff13 is awful

And squall is still better than cloud, squall is not this emo whine bag like you keep trying to say he is rei. If you went through the whole game and didnt pick up on who squall is then you need to replay the game. Cloud is the worst ff character in history.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

».ben.    7438

yeh 13 was my least favorite one perhaps ever? 13-2 however, I kind of dug. 

JustBeKrillin    375
13-2 is better than 13 but still couldnt get into it. Played for about 8-10 hours and couldnt stay motivated to play any further.
  • Upvote 1

Thanatos    516

Well, I still wanna play the first 6 so no biggie.

+rei+    34642

Hes got a point though, ff13 is awful

And squall is still better than cloud, squall is not this emo whine bag like you keep trying to say he is rei. If you went through the whole game and didnt pick up on who squall is then you need to replay the game. Cloud is the worst ff character in history.

"Whatever."
Squall having character development doesn't replace the fact he's a morose, unlikeable loner the plot contrives the rest of the cast to be enamoured with for much of the plot. Just because he eventually improves in the absolute last act of the game doesn't absolve him of this. It's not even that he's an emo whine bag, it's that he's a fucking unrepentant asshole who's only sympathetic quality is that he's an orphan, which is lost when you consider 'oh yeah so is the rest of the cast'

Support your conclusions on Cloud - I was pretty anti-cloud too until I replayed FF7 and realized I'd mistaken his character after being caught up in my stereotyping of him. He starts as an asshole too but at least he has character sympathies develop around more than one character and his development is more or less linear as opposed to "oh I guess i do like girls" mid-disk 3 that Squall gets, and his "heroic bsod" where he -is- whiny is well justified by the narrative.

Both demonstrate themselves to eventually becoming capable leaders respected by their team, but Cloud actually demonstrates attempts to be personable with struggles as opposed to Squall's continued antagonism even after he has the respect of both the Garden and the president of Esthar.

(and worst character ever? Guy speaking beaver was a plot point. And let's not even get started on "I AM GAU I AM YOUR FRIEND")
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

+rei+    34642

Well, I still wanna play the first 6 so no biggie.

don't play FF2 in an environment where you can't frameskip.
FF3 I would recommend the remakes for.
FFV play on GBA for the better translation

Grimey    8113

8 is the only Final Fantasy I haven't played and refuse to play partially because I can't stand any of the characters + the battle system 

+rei+    34642
Selphie is a great character, Irvine is at the least entertaining, and the villains are generally a lot of fun.

(Can't fight you on the battle system, I had a lto of fun with it but I also explicitly attempted to be broken as fuck using refines and card mod a lot)

Thanatos    516

in all honesty, I probably wont play 15 either. it doesnt look that appealing and the script Im blindly assuming will be bad

website is bad    2172

you mean 15? 14 is an mmo and a pretty good one at that

website is bad    2172

i mean your opinions on literally everything are really shit (hows your speedrunning going?) so lol thats p much an endorsement.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1