PJ

Final Fantasy

Best Final Fantasy?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. ???

»Rimmer    2210

To be honest, I think that looks pretty poor. I long ago gave up on the FF franchise and placed my hope in the KH series.

Indignation    2854

Ya the FF franchise is now officially terrible. I love how sexist these people making these games are. They just NEVER FUCKING EVER can have an emotionally stable, non weak, NON CHEESY (Script and acting) main female character. Seriously if it wasn't for the gameplay you would think this was a very late april fools joke.

»infinite    2317
wow the story looks like uber SHIT (the main character is fucking cheesy!)

good thing they have ff13VS

The story seems to be exactly what Mobile Suit Pikachu described a while ago "OMG were teenagers and the world is against us!" something like that. Doesn't help when the voice acting and dialog (this is a early trailer though, shit can EASILY change in that department) is atrocious from what I can tell. It sounds like one of those shit anime that play on the anime network. But if the battle system is enjoyable (it looks that way) I might be able to see past this. That's a big might though...I really don't like Nomura as a developer so I'm on the fence about Versus 13. If he can deliver on a true tragedy in gaming then I'm sold.

To be honest, I think that looks pretty poor. I long ago gave up on the FF franchise and placed my hope in the KH series.

Kingdom hearts is in the same boat. The story barely makes sense to anyone who is not a rabid fan (I've played both games and I really don't know what the fuck is going on sometimes.) Why do I have to read the Ansem reports to understand the story when a game has like over an hour of cut scenes? Doesn't help when the action is repetitive, also for a game that forces platforming elements the jumping mechanics fucking suck.

Ya the FF franchise is now officially terrible. I love how sexist these people making these games are. They just NEVER FUCKING EVER can have an emotionally stable, non weak, NON CHEESY (Script and acting) main female character. Seriously if it wasn't for the gameplay you would think this was a very late april fools joke.

Thats what the fuck I'm saying. I really don't like that chick with the cleavage and glasses who is apparently a villain. Her design is so annoying cliche, like shes a ninja gaiden reject or something. Ever since Yoshitako stopped doing the character designs the characters (most of the time) have been shallow basically they ask Nomura to just design dudes based on the popular animes in Japan and every character has to be the loner that cloud was. Its obvious with Lightning, she just a chick cloud :/

»Jeff Jones    13262

You people are so harsh.

Please just read up on the story line. I like it.

Thirteen centuries ago, a fal'Cie, preternatural being formed by the crystal residing inside it, created a floating, utopian city in the atmosphere of a planet known as Pulse. The fal'Cie willed that the city be completely isolated from the crude and brutal wilderness below, and commissioned machines to be the guardians of the citizens. Barriers were subsequently set up all around the city, and as such was the metropolis granted its befitting name: Cocoon.

Having lived secluded from the outside world for many years, the citizens of Cocoon are now becoming anxious of what Pulse really holds. Recent contact with those from the world below has caused people to question one another and their ways of life. Wised up to the word on the street, the Sanctum of Cocoon have decreed a new edict: Any individuals suspected to be in contact with the world of Pulse are to be banished from the city unconditionally and cast into the harsh environment of the planet below.

In tandem with the increasing uneasiness among the citizens of Cocoon, the believers of destiny are now painting the gloomiest of futures: the downfall of the entire world. Belief has it that the fal'Cie residing on Pulse has sought a woman to destroy the world and its inhabitants. This woman goes by the codename Lightning. The fal'Cie force Lightning and her companions to do its bidding, marking them as the l'Cie and giving them the power of the crystals. The l'Cie struggle against their destiny, but how can they rebel against beings worshipped by people as gods?

In summary, the storyline will focus on "those who resist the world," says Square Enix President Yoichi Wada.

I also dont think Lightning looks "weak" or "cheesy" at all.

»Rimmer    2210

In regards to Lightning, in the above clip only her and the black character had believable, sincere voice acting. The delivery of seemingly every other character was poor and unconvincing.

That was my main turn off, aside from a general feeling of ennui with series at large at this stage.

»infinite    2317
In regards to Lightning, in the above clip only her and the black character had believable, sincere voice acting. The delivery of seemingly every other character was poor and unconvincing.

That was my main turn off, aside from a general feeling of ennui with series at large at this stage.

I agree but I feel Lightning is the new Cloud, a character I didn't like in the first place. I also feel that the dialogue is just plan bad but like I said "this is a early trailer though, shit can EASILY change in that department"

My major problem with this game's story is that it parallels FF 7's (except for the whole theme of identity in FF 7.)

»Jeff Jones    13262

I agree but I feel Lightning is the new Cloud, a character I didn't like in the first place. I also feel that the dialogue is just plan bad but like I said "this is a early trailer though, shit can EASILY change in that department"

My major problem with this game's story is that it parallels FF 7's (except for the whole theme of identity in FF 7.)

I'll respectfully disagree in the fact that in 7, there is Shinra, a main force who seems to be an antagonist, and then the true evil, Sephiroth. So far the story line, and antagonist of 13 looks nothing like 7. Lightning openly talks about herself, her past, her emotions, and blames others for mistakes. This is something Cloud did NOT do. I will agree with in not liking Cloud though. I really did dislike him. And so far I do like Lightning. But i usually tend to like female protagonist. Especially Terra.

»Catalyst    199

i feel like playing FFIX out of the blue for some reason. maybe because I never beat it and it was good.

any of you emu fags wanna help me out on this one? last time i emu'd it, it had a sound glitch.

»Jeff Jones    13262
looks like there wont be summons in this game, rather vehicles

and crystals are coming back into the game lol

Nope there are summons they are called Eidolons, and they can just change their shape in Gestalt Mode (Driving Mode)

»infinite    2317

I'll respectfully disagree in the fact that in 7, there is Shinra, a main force who seems to be an antagonist, and then the true evil, Sephiroth. So far the story line, and antagonist of 13 looks nothing like 7. Lightning openly talks about herself, her past, her emotions, and blames others for mistakes. This is something Cloud did NOT do. I will agree with in not liking Cloud though. I really did dislike him. And so far I do like Lightning. But i usually tend to like female protagonist. Especially Terra.

Ahh touche jeff. But Lightning seems like the loner that Cloud was which is why I' getting the same vibe from her. We'll see once the games comes out.

The problem with the series is that they're trying to do to much. with the story. You don't need a epic clash between good and evil in which the fate of the world hangs in the balance, its really formulaic right now. I thought the series was heading in the right direction with 12 in that department but 12 was radically on so many levels I guess square wanted to connect more to the people who grew up playing 7, 8, and 9 the very same people who disliked 12. I think smaller more intimate stories would not only be a better over all experience but it would have a better emotional resonance with the player. I would like to see the series embrace this moving forward.

i feel like playing FFIX out of the blue for some reason. maybe because I never beat it and it was good.

any of you emu fags wanna help me out on this one? last time i emu'd it, it had a sound glitch.

In the same boat I'm trying to play it on my PSP and it black outs periodically.

Oceanus    1127
Kingdom hearts is in the same boat. The story barely makes sense to anyone who is not a rabid fan (I've played both games and I really don't know what the fuck is going on sometimes.) Why do I have to read the Ansem reports to understand the story when a game has like over an hour of cut scenes? Doesn't help when the action is repetitive, also for a game that forces platforming elements the jumping mechanics fucking suck.

I didn't know FF was like this. I didn't even know KH was like this.

Oceanus    1127
looks like there wont be summons in this game, rather vehicles

and crystals are coming back into the game lol

Nope there are summons they are called Eidolons, and they can just change their shape in Gestalt Mode (Driving Mode)

Since I'm playing FFIV right now, it's kind of funny how it has crystals and Eidolons as well :P.

»infinite    2317

I didn't know FF was like this. I didn't even know KH was like this.

Of course FF isn't like this when do you remember there being platforming and jumping in a FF game :rolleyes:

Oceanus    1127

Well, you said they were in the same boat :P.

Anyway, classic FF has you issue commands against special enemies. KH has you issue commands while also platforming against special enemies. Shouldn't adding the third dimension make battles more interesting?

»infinite    2317
Well, you said they were in the same boat :P.

Well if you read the whole post I was really talking about how both franchise are or becoming meh

Anyway, classic FF has you issue commands against special enemies. KH has you issue commands while also platforming against special enemies. Shouldn't adding the third dimension make battles more interesting?

Umm what? If I get what're trying to say you mean that platforming in KH is an added dimension to the FF formula, correct?I have no beef with platforming and puzzle solving in my role playing titles. I'm a big fan of the golden sun series which uses a lot of the latter. The problem is I personally feel that the jumping mechanics in KH are sloppy at best, down to the very animations. In addition the level design isn't very good; it feels like the games we played in the Saturn/64/PSone era. Come on guys, take a page from the uncharteds, the mario galxies, and the shadow of the colossus' platforming should fit in naturally and not feel forced or arbitrary.

Oceanus    1127

You're arguing it just doesn't interact enough with the 3D element?

Can you be more specific how it's sloppy and contrast levels to Mario Galaxy?

»infinite    2317
You're arguing it just doesn't interact enough with the 3D element?

Can you be more specific how it's sloppy and contrast levels to Mario Galaxy?

I'm saying that the jumping itself isn't on point as it should its not as responsive as I would like, when sora lands he LANDS, and he doesn't feel fun to control if you're not kicking heartless ass. My second point was that Level design feels very 'gamy' if you get what I mean.

Oceanus    1127

Wish I did.

»infinite    2317

Thats too bad. I'll give you an example of what I mean; In the spider movie game for the GC there were stealth levels. In those stealth levels you have to avoid these security guards, you can get caught be a security guard and royally fuck him up tie him up and hide. That same security will break free and say 'it must've been my imagination.'

that marcus kid    2425

itt people are too picky about story lines,people should just relax and enjoy games more(mind u there are a few games i think have absolutly bad stroy lines)

»PJ    4183

Still playing IX atm, just before I get the Airship in Disc 3.

that marcus kid    2425
Still playing IX atm, just before I get the Airship in Disc 3.

make sure u get the theatre ship key item u only have one shot at that