Isaacrpgr2000

Doctor Who

449 posts in this topic

suggesting they were pitched for a demographic that at the time didn't exist doesn't help. The funnier irony is the tumblrina crowd is just as thoroughly on the 'lol fuk moffat im so edgy' bandwagon

I don't particularly like the Tennant episodes and some of the Smith episodes aren't quite my cup of tea, but as an overall arc the Doctor's been handled fairly well in new who I think. The single episodes and story arcs are shaky but I think the characterization in how each rendition leads into the next is pretty good, all things considered.

We have the 9th who's had his memory recently scrambled and just came off the Time War feeling guilty and hate-filled, who comes into contact with a girl he likes and starts garnering affection for.

We have the 10th who's clearly in love with a girl and has overcome most of his darkness thanks to her, and then we see him slowly descend back into darkness as he starts having trouble coping with loss and guilt and whatnot.

We then have the 11th who's essentially an exaggeration of the later episodes of the 10th, who keeps up the irresponsible insanity of the late 10th and displays a massive ego as his guilt and fears continue to gnaw at him, and he starts becoming somewhat detached from reality.
We now have the 12th, who thanks to Clara has essentially come to terms with everything(though it could just be the fact that it's a familiar face screwing with him), and from here we see what the Doctor's like when he's not trying to be particularly social like the 10th and 11th were, and what he's like when he's not held down by the guilt of the genocide of his entire race. He's detached from society, he's egotistical, he goes on about himself and has the fury of a thousand suns.

There were a load of bumps, but in retrospect it sorta worked out IMO.

Man I missed buffalo actually stating 11's stories were literally twilight.
honestly if you hold that opinion you are not familiar with how awful twilight actually is.

There's also so much more than romantic relationship to 11 such as

- Amy never getting to act as the mother of her child.

- Riversong having to constantly lie to the People closest to her, well, family; Coming to terms with things she did and having to serve a sentence for something she didn't do, also not being able to help him on the day that he most needed it.

- Doctor having to come to terms with his potential death twice, almost accepted it the second time except for Clara's/Timelord's intervention (as haphazard as this may seem, it was done for both the sake of the show's continued existence as well as the continuity of the show).

In the 50th anniversary too Billie Piper had this line about "The man who regrets, and the man who forgets" which could easily be construed that while Ten intentionally wore the Mask-of-Mania to help deal with his regrets, by the time he became eleven he didn't wear it to deal with the consequence of the actions but rather the fact that he has worn it for so long, that he doesn't remember what he used to be like without that Mask (Smith remarks "1200 and something I think, or not if I'm lying. I've been lying for so long, I've forgotten how old I am" was a similar remark made in the same scene), which is why now that we've come to Capaldi, after his feelings were resolved about his regrets, he has removed that Mask and is a lot more *colder* because he doesn't feel as much of need as to be in some senses more human anymore because he doesn't think of himself as a Monster.

Among others etc.

I mean, there are a plenty of legitimate criticisms about Moffat but there's plenty of well deserved good points as well. A shit-tier reductionist argument like "Lol it has the same plot as twilight" is terrible (one because the plot is actually broader than that, the relationships just contextualize unlike Twilight which is about nothing but the relationship and two, because even if it was the exact plot as Twilight, it doesn't really matter as long as the execution is good).

yeah a lot of the issue with twilight is the characters are both horrible writing and horrible people - you'll never get "Vincent and the Doctor" out of Mayer lol

Reading through comments on a review of Kill The Moon which I like apart from the [spoiler]lol, it laid a new egg part, which really disrupted an otherwise great ending, suffering birthing strength etc[/spoiler]

Anyway, saw an interesting comment. Is it "Missy" or is it "Miss C" as in Miss Clara.

Flatline (E09) was pretty insane, also the whole

[spoiler]directly addressing the Doctor-Clara issue that has come up this season[/spoiler]

It was good, but the nature of it has set off so many people theorizing about Missy, that when the episode comes out, we're going to have to suffer 100s of Itoldyouso's no matter what it turns out to be. (Unless it turns out to be something particularly left field, which I kinda hope they manage to do without it being pulled out of Moffat's arse.)

Missy is the dinosaur from episode 1.

Missy is the dinosaur from episode 1.

Not sure if you are serious or not but I totally buy into that.

...The dead don't stay dead and all of a sudden I have a sneaking suspicion as to what Clara truly is.

Like holy shit that episode.

That was too obvious. They have to be hiding something a lot bigger.

Yeah, I thought it was a bit of a letdown. The last ep is next saturday, they'll probably chuck a big twist in then

"Another government inspection, so soon...Why is there all this swearing?''

- ''I've got a lot of internalised anger.''

Heh.

I think that Clara is also going to turn out to be a Time-Lady. Here is my theory: When Clara and the Doctor first get introduced to Missy in the 3w morgue, Clara did not recognize Missy who we are led to believe that she is the woman from the shop. I found something fishy about that and even a couple of episodes before, when Missy said something about Clara being "My Clara" as like she choosen her.

My next point which backs this up is during early Clara with the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith). The Tardis did not like her, now that never went into great detail and I myself with a lot of people shrugged that off but thinking about it, it does leave the door open for things to come up in future episodes. Did the Tardis actually dislike her because she herself is a Time-Lady.

Finally my last point was during the 11th's Regeneration how she communicated with the Time Lords. Now I really disliked that speech how she communicated with the Time Lords to let them know what ever they wanted to know because 1 they don't even know Clara and 2 why would they listen to a companion of the doctors, my theory now is they weren't listening to Clara the impossible girl but they were indeed listening to someone of there own race.

Now I am unsure if Clara is aware of this it could be that Missy may have wiped her memory with Time Lord technology, but if this is the case then I don't think this will be all in the finale its too much to cram into an episode so it may also be part of the Christmas special and then Clara may regenerate so she can leave. 

The TARDIS didn't like Clara because she was something of an anomaly after jumping into the Death Stream thing.

Clara is obviously the Master, and the reason the Master has always been with the Doctor is because it's Clara that jumped into the time stream, and it'll eventually turn out that the Valeyard is also the Master and the Master and the Doctor are the one and the same.

Jokes aside can't wait for death in heaven.

The next actor to play the Doctor is never really a spoiler, they get publicized far and wide in talkshows, magazines, etc

I wasn't clamouring for a female doctor but whitaker's great

+ the reign of Moffat has finally come to an end so the writing can only get better from here

And this means there can finally be a companion that isn't a young woman so I'm interested where they'll be taking this

5 minutes ago, Sophocles said:

The next actor to play the Doctor is never really a spoiler, they get publicized far and wide in talkshows, magazines, etc

I wasn't clamouring for a female doctor but Foster's one hell of an actress

+ the reign of Moffat has finally come to an end so the writing can only get better from here

And this means there can finally be a companion that isn't a young woman so I'm interested where they'll be taking this

inb4 new doctor is also a lesbian

:^)

that's fine just have her eyefuck a middle-aged woman with 2 kids for a change

all companions that werent donna noble were p much interchangeable personality-wise

41 minutes ago, The Antagonist said:

inb4 new doctor is also a lesbian

:^)

The Doctor's already pretty much canonically bisexual as it is.