+rei+    34627
yeah, i HATE the image of angel thing, but thats from time of the angels

Moffat's written some of the best episodes in the show's history (Doctor Dances, Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, Pandorica Opens/Big Bang, Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon) but I agree he's not meant for more than a couple episodes a season. Really though I think part of why this season suffered was kind of Amy and Rory burnout, we've seen their dynamic and conflict before lets have someone new
  • Upvote 1

Donnie    2189
Po3 sucked a lot, there was like 0 explanation or conflict, just hey lets blow it up!!!!
Episode 1 was great
Mercy was ok, it's a story we've seen a thousand times though.
Dino was cool, queens have a thing for the Doctor.
Angels was meh, I was also irked by the lack of continuity with everything that holds the image of an angel becomes an angel, the episode overall was good, truth be told, I didn't want to see Rory and Amy actually die. Also isn't only 1938 messed up couldn't the Doctor just go to 1939 in New York, it's not like he'd cross his own path.

Anyway I hope the Oswin story is good, not the same bullshit story we got with Martha Jones/Adeola Oshodi.

Sage.    757
Yeah there was a lot of stuff I didn't like about Ep5, but it was a good episode overall. The Statue of Liberty thing was fucking retarded for a lot of reasons. Nobody's looking at it? Nobody notices it walking around town? The image of an angel thing has always been really stupid, so I don't mind that one not applying here. I was sort of ready to see Amy and Rory go, I felt like they had done all they could do for the show. I'm excited for the new companion and I also wonder how long 11 is going to stick around for.

+rei+    34627
im most pumped for the big 50

Miss Click    2475
[quote name='Donnie' timestamp='1349189409' post='3294124']
Anyway I hope the Oswin story is good, not the same bullshit story we got with Martha Jones/Adeola Oshodi.
[/quote]

I read something somewhere that Moffat said that the new companion, while same actress, isn't the same Character. However if so, I feel the connection is much more significant than the Martha/Adeola connection, possibly a younger version of her mother (if those two were actually related). Honestly [spoiler]I kind of hope she survived the blast somehow and that's the Oswin we get...eventually[/spoiler]

Anyway, I think Episode 1 was pretty much the best even if it were only for the ending scene.

I kind of hope they don't fix Oswin (assuming the same actress is the same character) and have a deranged Dalek as the next companion. They could have Oswin deliver most of her own lines and show her on screen when she is talking but have her appear as a Dalek when she is shown "from someone else's point of view".

Also this season has been incredibly disappointing. I think the Angel episode had promise which made it all the worse. The stupid plot holes like everyone mentioned, including everyone looking at the Angel which took Amy at the end.

Miss Click    2475
I would love the deranged Dalek but considering what happened it does tend to be unlikely (even though the show is know for showing misinformation in order to keep you off track).

Sage.    757
[quote name='ThePedanticGentleman' timestamp='1349276432' post='3294848']
I kind of hope they don't fix Oswin (assuming the same actress is the same character) and have a deranged Dalek as the next companion. They could have Oswin deliver most of her own lines and show her on screen when she is talking but have her appear as a Dalek when she is shown "from someone else's point of view".

Also this season has been incredibly disappointing. I think the Angel episode had promise which made it all the worse. The stupid plot holes like everyone mentioned, including everyone looking at the Angel which took Amy at the end.
[/quote]

That would be interesting, but it feels like a gimmick. If they did that I think they'd have to un-Dalek her pretty soon or only have her last until the end of the season or so.

I also feel like it would be incredibly stupid for them to have her as two different characters in the same season, unless they're fundamentally connected. It's possible the Doctor will save her before the shipwreck or something, preventing her from turning Dalek.

[quote name='Sage.' timestamp='1349299939' post='3295214']

[/quote]

That would be interesting, but it feels like a gimmick. If they did that I think they'd have to un-Dalek her pretty soon or only have her last until the end of the season or so.

I also feel like it would be incredibly stupid for them to have her as two different characters in the same season, unless they're fundamentally connected. It's possible the Doctor will save her before the shipwreck or something, preventing her from turning Dalek.
[/quote]

I agree that they couldn't keep her as a Dalek for a really long time. I think this is Matt Smith's last season(They've been foreshadowing the fall of the 11th). They could do a "Rose" and overlap companions but it would be just as easy to start new with the 12th Doctor and a new companion.

I'd be mad if they rescued her before the crash. If that happens this is my prediction: They save her from the crash, she sticks with him for a while, but ends up stuck back there (to be able to help them escape the Asylum).

My problem is the space-time issue that arises from the Doctor rescuing a person who needs to be there to save him in the future. They've done wobblier things in the past though.

Miss Click    2475
[quote name='ThePedanticGentleman' timestamp='1349311054' post='3295357']
My problem is the space-time issue that arises from the Doctor rescuing a person who needs to be there to save him in the future. They've done wobblier things in the past though.
[/quote]

Well what happened with Pandorica's box could make something happen here.

However we never saw her real body, maybe it was preserved and it was only a bit of her concious inside the Dalek Armor. She mentioned hacking into the pathweb of the Dalek's so her concious could be floating around there, think of the first episode with Riversong during Tennant's last run. Then maybe her concious somehow finds it's way back into her body preserved (for some odd reason) by the Daleks.

Donnie    2189
Her body isn't preserved anywhere, the little microganisms turned her physically into a Dalek.
  • Upvote 3

Sage.    757
The Doctor will probably stumble upon her while off adventuring / moping about across the universe and recognize who she is, pick her up for some adventures all while knowing what will eventually happen to her, but she won't. Maybe he'll be forced to regenerate after he tries his best to save her but fails and gets hurt or something.
  • Upvote 1

Miss Click    2475
[quote name='Donnie' timestamp='1349360623' post='3295573']
Her body isn't preserved anywhere, the little microganisms turned her physically into a Dalek.
[/quote]

Derp. That is most likely.

[quote name='Sage.' timestamp='1349370275' post='3295667']
The Doctor will probably stumble upon her while off adventuring / moping about across the universe and recognize who she is, pick her up for some adventures all while knowing what will eventually happen to her, but she won't. Maybe he'll be forced to regenerate after he tries his best to save her but fails and gets hurt or something.
[/quote]

Not that this is a bad way to go but it's a bit too much like Riversong don't you think? It's too early to be using that story line again so soon.

I'm going to stick with it being a younger version of her mother. It's the only thing I can think of that makes a level of sense.

Donnie    2189
[quote name='Sage.' timestamp='1349370275' post='3295667']
[/quote]

Someone brought up a major problem with that which is that, then she won't be there to save himself, Rory and Amy from the Daleks, thus creating a paradox, where he saved her, but since she's no longer there to save him, he can't save her. And seeing as Rory and Amy are done being in the show, it unlikely we'd get to see how the story would have ended had she not been there to save him.

That and what 3D it'd be the same story as River if he just travels with her up until the point where he must let her go to her death, willingly or not, and River's story isn't even done yet.

Miss Click    2475
One thing I have a good feeling about, The Doctor likely crashed the Alaska Ship for whatever reason (or at least was there when whatever crashed it). Oswin's "Remember" was pretty ominous.

Sage.    757
I tend to forget about paradoxes when thinking about the plot of Doctor Who, it's full of them already. Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey.

But yeah that is a bit similar to River's story, so it probably won't happen exactly that way. I do really hope that Oswin doesn't get the Martha treatment, moping around about Amy & Rory while traveling with Oswin.

Miss Click    2475
[quote name='Donnie' timestamp='1349449666' post='3296551']
What are you referring to?
[/quote]

Well Oswin had her memories wiped but they started to flood back into her head near the end and as The Doctor was running away she kept saying "Remember".

As for the Ship (the thing Oswin landed/crashed there in) I feel we will see The Doctor later on the Ship before it crashes.

Ammit    5159

[/quote]
They could have blinked (that's what I assumed)

Miss Click    2475
So Christmas Special was leagues better than last year

[spoiler]Every hint Oswin dropped quite literally sent chills down my spine, it was just so subtle and unexpected. Speaking of, what the hell is she then? She could possibly be a host/clone for the GI or something? Also, I'm expecting that somewhere in the season finale The Doctor has to wipe his own memories to save the world/universe/person/whatever and this is going to end up look all a bit of a backwards situation to us[/spoiler]

+rei+    34627
Oswin's bday is the anniversary of the series.
  • Upvote 2

Lamp    1424
Great special. I loved McKellen as the Intelligence. I hope it resurfaces and takes a physisical form. Strax was priceless.

The only thing I didn't like is that we're juggling more and more plots now: Who destroyed the TARDIS, Who or what is the Silence, what are the fields of Trenzalore, "Doctor WHO?!" and now who/what is Clara?

Kyary    2424
I just finished watching the first half of Series 7 (Since I was lagging on it) and Jesus christ, The Angels Take Manhattan has got to have the most depressing, soul crushing-est ending I've seen in quite some time. I'm gonna end up waiting to watch the special until a bit later tonight.

I'M SUPER HYPE TO COSPLAY 10TH NEXT WEEK THOUGH.

Ammit    5159
[quote name='Lamp' timestamp='1356482894' post='3357298']
Great special. I loved McKellen as the Intelligence. I hope it resurfaces and takes a physisical form. Strax was priceless.

The only thing I didn't like is that we're juggling more and more plots now: Who destroyed the TARDIS, Who or what is the Silence, what are the fields of Trenzalore, "Doctor WHO?!" and now who/what is Clara?
[/quote]
What? They're hardly juggling most of these anymore. Anyways Clara was really interesting, I'm excited to see what happens to her.