Guest salad

Casey Anthony

»Frantic    661

prosecution's fault. Shouldn't have pressed for first degree, should have pushed for manslaughter. Failed to show premeditation, which fucks their (entirely circumstantial) case anyway

The media and the Nancy Grace types are probably more to blame then the actual people who had to try the case with actual rules and within the law.

• Upvote 3

»Frantic    661

Wait 31 days before reporting your child missing; get found not guilty.

Circumstantial evidence I know.

There's a difference between being innocent and being innocent in a legal sense (guilt beyond a reasonable doubt). I think she is guilty, for sure. But I have no problem seeing her walk here with the facts presented.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Chris Buraseru    10480

That little girl needs justice because this is some pretty fucked up shit. What kind of mother does that? In any case, the angry mobs will get to her.

SSJ Grumpig    5620

i never understood why this was such a sensational story. can someone explain plz

• Upvote 1

»Frantic    661

This thread is a dexter joke away from hitting every terrible not funny joke/try hard comment.

• Upvote 11

Jesus the Jew    986

i never understood why this was such a sensational story. can someone explain plz

Cause she did ridiculous shit after her kid went missing (like being a party whore). And that's just one example. Now that she was found innocent, this is even more sensational.

»Relianah    4515

From what I understand (didn't really pay attention to it), her child went missing and she didn't report it for a month (I don't know if someone else noticed she was missing or she finally decided to report it). During that month she went to parties and was basically a complete slut. She also lied to her parents about letting them see her daughter saying she was with her sitter (who isn't even real), was with her rich boyfriend she was bumming off of (also not real) and that she was spending time with the sitter who got in a car accident (again, isn't real). There's probably more but like I said I didn't really care/keep up with it.

Shaman    532

It's sensational because it's about a family that lives in middle class America, most people can relate to it.

Bazoo    5700

prosecution's fault. Shouldn't have pressed for first degree, should have pushed for manslaughter. Failed to show premeditation, which fucks their (entirely circumstantial) case anyway

To my understanding they showed she/someone on her computer searched "how to make chloroform" 37 times on Google or something, but maybe they didn't exploit it and I didn't really follow so w/e.

That is 1. incorrect and 2. doesn't prove anything.

It definitely does not prove a murder occurred

If a murder was proven to occur, though, it could be used to lean toward premeditation. I really don't think "someone else hopped on my computer" would stand in this case, just due to unlikelihood. Either way I think she would need a very good explanation for those searches

Barring that it was a stupid move without the "chlorofrom was used" clause

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34682

.. if chloroform was proven to relate to the murder in any way (it wasn't. All that was proven was blunt force trauma)

• Upvote 1

Bazoo    5700

Right, I understand.

But let's say, hypothetically, the evidence was there to convict her of murder. If chloroform was used, would multiple google searches for chloroform be enough to show premeditation? Would there need to be something else? Even if chloroform wasn't used, could searches for multiple ways to kill a child (i.e. chloroform, neck breaking, etc.) be used as evidence? In other words, could the prosecution spin it in the way that "clearly, this woman was looking up how to kill someone, even if the neck wasn't broken or chloroform wasn't found." I want to say it only leans it toward premeditation, but there would need to be something more conclusive. However, I also know that "beyond a reasonable doubt" is vague and sometimes courts are weird.

+rei+    34682

its like, a seed. Its not evidence on its own (especially as it was only actually searched once) - more pathetically they tried to use her ex boyfriend having a comic with a joke about chloroform as evidence.

»orangeeyes    11863

so how did she not get time for blatant child neglect?

Col. Star    36

so how did she not get time for blatant child neglect?

That's what I was wondering too, I don't think the prosecution tried for it, but I'm not sure.

»orangeeyes    11863

I thought I read that she was found "not guilty" on child abuse charges, does not doing anything about your daughter going missing for a month not qualify?

Blex64    161

I thought I read that she was found "not guilty" on child abuse charges, does not doing anything about your daughter going missing for a month not qualify?

From Wikipedia:

On October 14, 2008, Casey Anthony was indicted by a grand jury on charges of felony murder, aggravated child abuse, aggravated manslaughter of a child and four counts of providing false information to police.[38] She was arrested for the fourth time. She entered a plea of not-guilty to all charges.[35] On October 21, 2008, the charges of child neglect were dropped against Casey. In a statement that morning, the State Attorney's Office explained: "The neglect charges were premised on the theory that Caylee was still alive. As the investigation progressed and it became clear that the evidence proved that the child was deceased, the State sought an indictment on the legally appropriate charges."

Had they charged her with something they could prove (a lesser degree of manslaughter, and no felony murder) she would have gone to prison. The prosecution team was a bunch of retards, hopefully their DA won't be re-elected.

Shaman    532

I'm pretty sure the judge made it clear to the jury they could have found her guilty for lesser versions of the crimes the prosecution were pushing. No clue how they didn't find even the lowest version of something.