Gary Oak

Barclays Premier League

stein_dragon    39

Djourou will play ahead of Squillaci and Walcott ahead of Chamakh

But I agree about Van Persie, they'll finish behind Spurs and Stoke if they dont keep him fit

Would you really want Alex in before Luiz as well, Luiz just seems to have more than an amazing free kick once in a while. Would be a shame to see Lukkaku and Sturridge on the bench behind Drogba and Torres, can't see Benayoun gettting in the team ahead of Mikel either even though Benayoun is a much better talent.

Can't wait for the game on Saturday and 1st MotD of the season, Le Armee Noire et Blanche for Europe :P (it's not gonna happen just hope we dont get relegated again :( )

Gary Oak    846

Ah yes Djourou is a decent player, but I feel Squillaci has more experience.

It would be interesting if Arsene finally plays Walcott as a Striker, or do you think he will simply put RVP down the middle and give a wing position to Walcott?

I would deffo prefer Alex for 1 more season, he is more consistent -- Luiz is still young and rash, you could see that at the end of last season, sure he scored 2 goals, but he gave away a penalty, a 30 second goal and generally his defensive vision isn't fantastic yet.

It depends if Chelsea will play 1 box 1 holding and 1 attacking midfielder. I hope they opt for a more attacking approach like AVB stated, in that case giving a creative / attacking player priority and only playing either Ramires or Mikel.

Me too man, cannot wait for the games!

stein_dragon    39

Now we're fucked :(

Enrique to Liverpool with more or less a week to get a new replacement or have to rely on a 20 year old (who is pretty good)

Next to go Barton, Gutierrez and Coloccini

Aaron    2022

cisshoko would have been a wildcard. hand full of good performances, lots of hype and good at attacking.

I hope aquilani stays.

Enrique was a bargain at 6M.

if we had signed another player with the unpredictability of suarez, i would have been more confident us going for the title/a top 4 place. its all good signings but i still have the same feeling i had after the season we finished second (i wanted us to sign tevez to partner torres). its slightly different now with carroll but carroll is a goalscorer, suarez is so much more/different.

Newcastle are now in free fall. Time for pardew to earn his money.

If chelsea figure out how to use Torres, they will take this title easy. remember last season, they had the most disgusting blip i've seen from a top 4 team in years and they still finished second. the first few months, they played the best football we saw all season. thats with injuries and their most consistent player over the past 5 years having a shit + injured season (lampard)

... arsenal: +GK +Cahill +Baines +Samba/Dann and then add a few creative options/a topclass striker (if gervinho isn't meant to be this) and they're set. Ship out squilacci and the like. Walcott needs an injury free season. they are still the best footballing side in the league and are terribly unlucky in some games. likewise, that defence and steel in midfield really needs to be addressed at last.

GokuDB    82

i really want to see manchester city this season, tevez dzeko aguero balotelli and adebayor.

too many strikers but they're all good

Aaron    2022

adebayor is irrelevant to manchester city.

If Tevez stays and Mancini can figure a 4-3-3 consisting of Tevez, Aguero and Dzeko, they will be amazing to watch. I just don't hold much faith in Tevez adapting to any role unless its in the middle... fitting in tevez/aguero/dzeko/toure/de jong/silva is pretty hard.

i'm surprised city have not spend money on maicon for 30M euros or whatever Inter said is needed. Hes probably the best RB in the world and although hes shit value at his age, hes a fantastic buy for shorterm class and success at RB.

Gary Oak    846

Thanks Liquid Snake, updated!

De Jong / Yaya Toure

Silva

Johnson / Tevez / Aguero

No?

Aaron    2022

i think johnson is good but hes not an automatic selection on that lefthand side. where does super expensive dzeko go? they've paid that much money for aguero to NOT play him in his natural position?

itts do-able but a change in formation could easily be detrimental to tevez's form. they're in a hard situation, not to mention balotelli (who has so much untapped potential its ridiculous) will be pissed off if hes not a regular starter.

Gary Oak    846

This is what I think about Manchester City.

Manchester City - Brewster's Millions

Aaron    2022

i read ur city article and rly disliked it. your proposed lineup leaves balotelli with no space to get in even though you think they should give him a chance. if hes not first XI, hes gone. hes good and he knows it just as much as hes stupid. no offense i just think your article(s) are just pointing out the obvious.

the ending made me laugh "city can either challenge for the title... or not challenge for the title [due to lack of gel]" .. captain obvious.

im surprised by city. taking into account the job is much alike chelsea (guaranteed success required instantly to keep the job)... he could have signed far more established players and made them a priority. for example, i'd say Nasri + Maicon combined with Aguero would have been a no-brainer. I'm sure he'll tie up Nasri if given half a chance and I think Silva is a brilliant wide left player.

p.s. i've very rarely/never seen aguero play as a wideleft forward... why would they sign a worldclass forward to play him as a FW winger? im not saying they won't do it... just a bit silly of city if they did when they could instead have bought a worldclass wide player.

also u could have mentioned their failed pursuit of alexis sanchez... what were there plans going to be there? is aguero a replacement for the failed buy of him? if not, where was sanchez going to play? what about their community cup showing? did we learn anything from that glorified friendly?

Gary Oak    846

Some very good and interesting points.

I believe that no matter what line up I would have posted Aaron, someone would disagree -- it's impossible to get it right. Balotelli will not be a starting striker imo because he MUST play down the middle. The only striker he is in front of in the pecking order is arguably Dzeko, but he scored in the Community shield and wasn't a tool on their pre-season tour. Honestly, who knows how Mancini views it but to critisize me for not leaving any room for Balotelli is unfair because he won't start.

You say the ending made you laugh but the point I was making is that Man City are so strong now that they will finish in the top 3, but it is only considered a 'success' if they come 2nd or higher now -- you completely missunderstood I did not say they will either challenge or not, I said they will either be successful or not depending on what your definition of success is -- is it another Champions League spot or league domination or another domestric trophy etc or a combination of the aforementioned.

You ask why would they sign a Aguero and not play him in his natural position, how is that a negative against me for pointing out that they will play him wide. He won't play up front while Tevez is there and he won't play behind the striker, so either he will roam or play wide forward, I don't quite understand what your criticism here is.

I don't see the point of mentioning Sanchez and how he could have potentially fitted into the squad because a) it hasn't happened and b) they are an extremely overpopulated offensive team so you can't predict something like that -- but if I had to write something, he would obviously play wide for them, where else would they put him?

I do take on board that I should have talked about the Community Cup, but I didn't watch the game through unfortunate circumstances -- even though I heard their performance backs up my argument that they simply haven't gelled together (their goals were against the run of play and United simply outclassed them again).

Thanks for posting man I appreciate it, always nice to talk and discuss.

stein_dragon    39

As much as id like seeing A Johnson get a starting place I can't see him getting in ahead of all the "superstars" and how Lescott still gets played amazes me cos he is worst player in that squad perhaps England altogether, Everton must be laughing still tbh and if he plays in the cl they will ship 3-4 goals just cos he's on the pitch

Balotelli is a talent, he is prone to make a bad desicion such as against LA Galaxy or when he headbutted vidic, with the right management he will become a really good player but I don't think Mancini is the right person to do it or even to get man city the title, ever.

»Liquid Snake    4567

how Lescott still gets played amazes me cos he is worst player in that squad perhaps England altogether, Everton must be laughing still tbh and if he plays in the cl they will ship 3-4 goals just cos he's on the pitch

So true, the bit about Johnson is true also. Arsenal or Liverpool should pick him up.

stein_dragon    39

As much as id like seeing A Johnson get a starting place I can't see him getting in ahead of all the "superstars" and how Lescott still gets played amazes me cos he is worst player in that squad perhaps England altogether, Everton must be laughing still tbh and if he plays in the cl they will ship 3-4 goals just cos he's on the pitch

Balotelli is a talent, he is prone to make a bad desicion such as against LA Galaxy or when he headbutted vidic, with the right management he will become a really good player but I don't think Mancini is the right person to do it or even to get man city the title... ever.

Nasri would be an amazing signing though and part of the reason why johnson wouldn't get in the team because him and Silva would terrorise any defence they play against.

On top of this the rest of the team just builds itself and they can recoup some of the money they spent with the Etihad deal and selling players like Adebayor, Given and poss Tevez

Future looks bright for a city fan

Must be nice :(

Aaron    2022

johnson should definitley leave for liverpool.

igor what i mean is... "city are either going to be successful or they're not"... hmmm yes because thats the only two options for them. at a club like city/chelsea, you are either successful or you're fired aka short term success required. i just thought it was all a bit obvious.

Aaron    2022

also lol @ frantic when me and him had a debate/argument a month or two ago about fabregas and how he thought he'd stay and didn't want to leave.

Gary Oak    846

also lol @ frantic when me and him had a debate/argument a month or two ago about fabregas and how he thought he'd stay and didn't want to leave.

Fair enough I understand you felt like I didn't stray far out of the box in that article, but I felt what I wrote was good. We are yet to see if Chelsea and Manchester City are different Aaron because if Man City come 2nd this year, that is still progression, in Chelsea the manager would be fired but logical progression would mean hopefully in the third season they could seriously challenge for first. I want to see how it all pans out.

I can't believe anyone thought Fabregas wanted to stay, you are guaranteed trophies and success at the best team in the world, and it's home lol!

Aaron    2022

hmm true i think the city owners are trying to be patient and logical.. i think with the tevez debacle, they would give mancini a bit of leeway.