Gary Oak

Barclays Premier League

»Liquid Snake    4567

Drogba does not play the same position as Kalou, at least not naturally. Also Chelsea were completely ineffective in attack vs. Liverpool, I remember their home game vs. Tottenham last season Drogba and Torres started that game, about the hour mark Kalou came on for Torres and suddenly Chelsea looked dangerous, Drogba then set up Kalou for the winner. Man U have players like Nani, Valencia, Park and Young to make a 2 striker system work Chelsea don't have that.

»Liquid Snake    4567

Also the bias in the post-match interviews for the Newcastle vs. Arsenal game was ridiculous. I can't believe I'm saying this but Pardew was worse than Wenger.

stein_dragon    39

Dunno tbh, he had a point but Barton probably should have been sent off and Arsenal definitely should have had 2 sent off

Also Wenger cant be biased he didn't even see it :P

Aaron    1989

Drogba does not play the same position as Kalou, at least not naturally. Also Chelsea were completely ineffective in attack vs. Liverpool, I remember their home game vs. Tottenham last season Drogba and Torres started that game, about the hour mark Kalou came on for Torres and suddenly Chelsea looked dangerous, Drogba then set up Kalou for the winner. Man U have players like Nani, Valencia, Park and Young to make a 2 striker system work Chelsea don't have that.

Far from ineffective. They just were lacking that final pass and we were for a lot of the game defending and relying on a last minute interceptions etc.

I'm not saying to swap Drogba/Kalou like for like. The manager should be good enough to adapt his formation to include as many worldclass match-winning players as is possible.

So having wide players is the only way to make a two striker system work? ..........

I must be one of the only people who hasn't sold out to the media's idea that Drogba and Torres can't play together. Two worldclass strikers can form a wonderful strike partnership under the right tactics and manager. Chelsea for me having the players/supporting cast to make this a reality. Fuck, last season we reverted to 4-4-2 sometimes and did a good job with the worst "wingers" (which is not even what they are) in the top 6.

GokuDB    82

torres and drogba can absolutely play together but anelka + torres + drogba don't

»Liquid Snake    4567

Chelsea also don't have creative playmakers, of course not having good playmakers or wide players will hinder a 1 or 2 striker system. The formation they played today allows them to play Malouda and Kalou in their best positions, they are two of the players most likely to make something happen for Chelsea. Kalou scored 10 goals in 31 appearances in the league last season and he is in or approaching his prime. That makes him one of the few Chelsea players that isn't past their prime, Drogba wasn't the same player last season that he was when he was top scorer and at the age of 33 how likely is it he is going to get anywhere close to that again? Torres has a much better shot at recapturing his past form and Villas-Boas is wise to favour him.

The formation they played today allows them to play Malouda and Kalou in their best positions, they are two of the players most likely to make something happen for Chelsea.

That's the worrying thing for Chelsea fans: the two biggest creative assets in that 4-3-3 (given Lampard's lack of incisive passing) are the inconsistent Malouda and the consistently mediocre Kalou. Sturridge-Torres-Anelka/new winger looks to be the way forward.

Kalou scored 10 goals in 31 appearances in the league last season and he is in or approaching his prime.

Kalou may have scored 10 goals last season but how many did he miss, how many shots off target did he have, how many chances did he fail to even get a shot in from, how many shitty passes did he make, how many times did he clumsily break Chelsea's build up and give up possession?

»Frantic    661

i hope gervinho is the new joe cole for arsenal

Yeah, he'll go from being a top 10 player in Ligue 1 to a player that can't find the bench in the EPL, making 30k less pw then what Cole is for you guys.

Aaron, treating the Fabregas saga issue as a matter of black and white just shows immaturity. It's weird you'd even attempt to paint it in such a fashion.

Aaron    1989

it was a joke you fucking idiot.

and lol you were wrong. get over it. im not painting the situation in any fashion. the nigga wanted to leave, barca got a cut-price deal because fabregas made barcelona the only buying team. he got all his friends at barca to release public comments. he disrupted the side. he was the captain yet never in the middle of a window said he didn't want to leave. the end. (and i can't blame the guy, hes moving to the best footballing team in the world and back home). this transfer window, arsenal had so little leverage over barca that they even omitted him from the kits.

i am aware of kalou's goal scoring prowess last season. i'm also aware of all his other seasons and i'm also aware of the fact drogba is one of the best players in the world when at the top of his game. his poor season last year was down to injuries/malaria and the whole team being shit. the other poster was completley correct that its worrying to base a team around malouda+kalou. avb has no need as chelsea boss to plan for the future because if he doesn't win shit this season, he has no future.

i wish takeo was still on this board. the ammount of shit he said a couple of years ago which has become true is so slick; e.g. messi becomes a false striker in the middle, suarez becoming a top class player etc.

Katy Perry    294

chelsea desperately need a new winger and a creative player. when you look at their team they have nobody who can create bar lampard.

Ramires tries but hes technically not what they need.

Luka modric sneijder moutinho etc is the key.

Gary Oak    847

Nice to see City have pushed Yaya Toure back down to allow Silva a free role and great to see Adam Johnson starting.

stein_dragon    39

Aguero tearing apart Swansea here

Man City can get the title this year, Man U have to take notice now

Aaron    1989

no-brainer signing wanted him at liverpool for ages... fuck u city.

Faint    5667

Aguero has been brilliant for the past 3 seasons, it's criminal that he hasn't been snapped up by a 'top' club before now. He gives city a new weapon and was absolutely fantastic, when he builds even further on his connection with Silva it'll be mouth watering, providing Tevez doesn't throw a hissy fit.

inb4 tevez leaves because he wants to be closer to his family...and ends up joining arsenal

Light.    48

Arsenal will never ever pay 30/40 mil for Tevez. Arsenal doesnt like spending big money and prefers spending less on ''talented'' youngsters

City knows they can get around that price for Tevez, since that offer already has been made by a brazillian club ( Corinthias or however you spell it )

»Liquid Snake    4567

The Brazilian transfer window has closed and City said Tevez would be more expensive for European clubs, so far nobody has showed serious interest.

Light.    48

I know , it was more saying that Tevez would def not go to Arsenal since Arsenal doesnt spend that much money on 1 player.

Inter is still kinda ''flirting'' with the idea of getting Tevez, other than that, Tevez's name was also mentioned at Real, but if they're serious, we'll see

Aaron    1989

Only Inter have shown real interest in Tevez and their financial situation doesn't look good enough to facilitate a move. If Tevez stays and isn't disruptive (his comments throughout the whole of his last season at United didn't impress me), City are good for the title.

If Tevez goes to Real, City will get one of their world class strikers in return probably. If not, Real will destroy either Benzema's or Higuain's career with Tevez coming.

I still think they're a Sneidjer and CB away from being almost-certs.