Gary Oak

Barclays Premier League

Aaron    2007

chelsea's midfield: ramires, mikel and lampard

lampard = ageing, not at his best

mikel = top prospect a couple of years ago but chelsea have taken out every attacking and box to box instinct and ruined him

ramires = hasn't lived up to his price tag

essien = injured 24/7, can't recapture his form due to injuries

this is from essien-ballack-lampard ...

no doubt they need a right winger but i think their bigger concerns are still in the centre of the park unless the players they have step it up..

also avb is really lucking out... he needs to play drogba and torres together or drop torres ATM.

GokuDB    82

chelsea desperately need a new winger and a creative player. when you look at their team they have nobody who can create bar lampard.

Ramires tries but hes technically not what they need.

Luka modric sneijder moutinho etc is the key.

agree =)

Tyrion    7

chelsea's midfield: ramires, mikel and lampard

lampard = ageing, not at his best

mikel = top prospect a couple of years ago but chelsea have taken out every attacking and box to box instinct and ruined him

ramires = hasn't lived up to his price tag

essien = injured 24/7, can't recapture his form due to injuries

this is from essien-ballack-lampard ...

no doubt they need a right winger but i think their bigger concerns are still in the centre of the park unless the players they have step it up..

also avb is really lucking out... he needs to play drogba and torres together or drop torres ATM.

Went to the Chelsea game today and have to agree with pretty much this entire post. Whilst I think we were the better side for a majority, we did get lucky to come away with 3 points, they should have been 2-0 up.

I agree that we need to really try and make the Drogba/Torres partnership work. The fact that AVB insists on 4-3-3 hurts us because it means one world class striker has to sit on the bench and forces other players (Anelka) to play in a less than optimal position.

On the issue of wing-play, I think Malouda on the left is best for us, his interplay with Ashley Cole is superb, he tracks back reasonably well, isn't afraid to go forward with the ball at his feet and try to take on defenders, he also is very good at getting into the box for easy goals. The right had side appears to be an issue because AVB keeps putting Kalou out there and he has been playing poorly, (not saying he's shit, but the boy never tracks back, has terrible passing vision and outside of 5 yards is a highly questionable finisher) but we do have a couple of players capable of playing there. Anelka has looked consistently good there, but I think he plays much better when Drogba is leading the line. The other option, which I am a personal fan of, is Sturridge once his suspension has finished, true he would be a striker playing out of position, but he has lightning pace, good interlink play around the box and showed with Bolton last year that he knows where the goal is. In an ideal world I'd have us sign a world class winger to play there, but considering what is available on the transfer market right now I'm happy to accept a combination of Anelka/Sturridge this season.

Our major issue, as you rightly stated is in the middle of the park, we were spoiled with the Lampard/Ballack/(healthy)Essien combo for a few years and now we are struggling. Ramires so far is proving to be an overpriced, undersized not entirely above average players and we do desperately need someone who can get Torres the ball where he wants it if we are to get the best out of him (Modric/Mata etc.) However if we do bring a player like that in, where does he play? Would it mean dropping Lampard? Because a player like Mata won't get back like Ramires does, which is why I think Modric is the perfect buy for Chelsea here and would break the bank to get him. (That said, whilst it would be considered sacrilege, I would entertain the thought of dropping Lampard if he continues to struggle with his form and we picked up a world class replacement.)

The only issue I disagree you on is Mikel, you're right in saying we've changed him as a player but that doesn't mean he has gotten worse. When he first came to us he was immature, made rash tackles and struggled with the pace of the premier league, but over the last 2-3 years, during Ballack's numerous injury/age related games off (admittedly less so last year due to a lack of playing time) he has evolved in to a fantastic holding mid, his positioning on the field is superb, he doesn't get drawn out of position, he is very strong in the air and serves as the perfect link between the back 4 and midfield, I and many other Chelsea fans I know have a great deal of faith in him and would consider him a starting 11 player. His inclusion in the team is so far one of the only positives I've found in AVB's reign.

Gary Oak    847

Chelsea's major issue is the inability to transition effectively from defense to offence. Also if you watched the game you will see how stagnant we are in the final third. The team arrives and just stands still, there's absolutely no movement -- teams like ManU score goals by driving at the wings and hitting their strikers; it was only when we came alive in the 2nd half that we began doing so and getting Malouda's 2nd goal. The first half and 20 min of the 2nd, Chelsea stood still in the final third.

I'll post up my analysis of the game when me and dad write up our Gameweek 2 analysis. :)

»Liquid Snake    4567

The best thing ABV has done is bring Bosingwa back into the team and made him first choice, now he needs to play Ivanovic back in his best position of CB over Alex. I don't see a point in playing Sturridge out of position, he absolutely deserves a run in the first team in his natural position after his form at Bolton last season especially with Torres and Drogba not on form. Kalou and Anelka are decent options for the right side, Lampard can still be good for getting the occasional tap in and set plays but I don't think anybody disagrees that Chelsea also need somebody in central midfield to supply the forwards. Remires and Mikel don't strike me as anything other than Average midfielders and benching one of them for a new signings like Modric would be fine.

Tyrion    7

Bosingwa is a liability, always has been. He gives away stupid goals with his inability to head a ball, make a solid tackle or usher a striker onto their weaker side to prevent the attempt on goal. The most frustrating thing about him is, when the ball is in the air he just lets it sail over his head, doesn't turn to see what threat might be behind him and it has cost us many times (Man United last year being a prime example and almost Odemwingie today). The argument that his prowess going forward makes up for this is totally false, sure he has his moments (though far less often than he did in his first season) such as the run to set up the winner today, however generally his crossing is inconsistent, either because he puts in a bad ball or dwells too long allowing defenders to shut him down before he can deliver. Ivanovic is the much safer option, is also a very good crosser of the ball and is a set piece threat. I think we as a team will look much better once Luiz is back in the middle with Terry and Ivanovic is back on the right.

There is a part of me that thinks maybe Bosingwa is one of those players that fans of other teams watch and think is good, but fans of that actual team don't like him because when it is your team you feel the stings so much more when they under perform or fuck up. I think other examples of this would players like Kuyt and Nani (last season) when a lot of Man U fans thought that Valencia was the better option.

Aaron    2007

hm... actually i love kuyt and i think most liverpool fans do. top 5 most productive right sided midfielders/players in the premier league.

i think torres right now is too inconsistent. i wouldn't blame avb if he shifted torres outwide as a shadowstriker drfting inwards. i know u dont buy a worldclass striker to play him there but torres IMO is just not on top of his game/form in the middle. a break outwide could do him a world of good. hes fantastic cutting inside onto either foot (ala liverpool days) and he definitley has the vision/passing ability to create a few chances.

DC: Ivanovic

DC: Terry

DR: Boswinga

DL: Cole

MC: Essien

MC: Lampard

MC: Modric

AML: Malouda

RWF: Torres

ST: Drogba

would be pretty good. currently mikel over essien i guess but... im just not a fan of the anchorman every game thing clubs having going atm.

Aaron    2007

oh downing has looked a fantastic signing btw.

for me our best first XI atm is the team that played today:

-henderson

-carrol

+suarez

+raul

aqua on the benchhh.

kinda makes me a bit sad to drop andy but kuyt is unplayable for me ATM... just really adjusted into our system, workrrate phenomenal, so intelligent, tracking back doesnt have to even be mentioned...

kelly as usual magnificent. love the lad.

Tyrion    7

Maybe I'm wrong about Kuyt as an example, it just seems a lot of Liverpool fans I know don't rate him but I just can't get over all the important goals he scores for Liverpool.

I think you're right about dropping Henderson for Meireles, the Kuyt/Carrol/Suraez is all personal preference, I'd personally go for Carrol/Suarez because I think they compliment each other very well.

I too would like to see Torres given a chance out wide a la Villa for Barca, but I don't think it will happen sadly.

Aaron    2007

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

only the stupid ones

lol srsly tho kuyts time will come to an end but this season, hes required.

if u think carroll/suarez compliment eachother well.. u havent seen them play apart from the city game. kuyt+suarez are RIDICULOUS together, their understanding and movement is top notch.

Tyrion    7

True I haven't seen a lot of the playing together, I just feel that the attention Carroll demands from multiple defenders allows Suarez a lot of space to work his magic. He also gives you a very nice long ball option which lets you vary your attack and as the most fouled player in the EPL he gives you a lot of opportunities to get Adam over a dead ball which generally will lead to goals.

»Liquid Snake    4567

I read somewhere the City game is the only game that Liverpool have won where Carroll has started with Suarez. However partnerships need work.

Gary Oak    847

Kuyt is a fantastic player, that is really undisputable. You are spot on it should be - Carroll who is a liability to your technical style of football and does not have a footballing brain like Suarez or Kuyt, and - Henderson who isn't good enough just yet and + Meireles + Suarez consistently.

Bosingwa cannot defend, it's just fact. Last season we would play him in games where we simply did not need to defend -- he's not good enough to be our overall 1st team Right Back. Offensively he's great, can't really fault him there, but at the back he is horrid and he almost passed the ball into a 1 on 1 for WB yesterday near the end of the game, frustrating.

Aaron    2007

It saddens me to say it too.. Carroll ATM has been very poor. We do seem to change our style of play when hes on the pitch which doesn't help and I'm sure he'll hit the big time as we go on through the season. It makes sense to invest time in him now.. but theres no doubt for me that Kuyt is the better option if we want to win the immediate games.

A team like Arsenal with the CBS they had... its a match Carroll is made for but sadly he was hugely ineffective as Vermaelen destroyed him.

stein_dragon    39

Just been confirmed on Sky Sports now, great signing but where's he gonna play?

Going to be some upset players soon that there not getting enough play time