Sign in to follow this  
Farley

Drive

I was never on the edge of my seat. I was frustrated by the lack of events and Ryan's performance (or lack thereof). Fuck, I do not even remember one line of dialogue that was not in a song. I do not think it is the worst movie ever--far from it. I just do not understand the critical acclaim and praise it receives on Television & Film.

Ammit    5159
It doesn't hold up as well on subsequent viewings, at least for me, though initially I was floored by it.

Ammit    5159
It also sort of blatantly ripped off Le Samourai.

Bazoo    5701
[quote][color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Drive is a movie about a stunt driver who is a getaway driver by night and in my opinion a sufferer of Asperger's syndrome.[/quote][/size][/font][/color]

I don't mind you disliking the movie, but do you actually have any conception of what Asperger's is?
  • Upvote 2

Bazoo    5701
and why would that even be a criticism of the character fuck

It's not necessarily a criticism, but it would explain why so many people on the internet like it.
  • Downvote 1

Haruki    12659
[quote name='Bradolf Hitler' timestamp='1341778137' post='3227018']
This is old, but I wanted to share my review after seeing it since you guys love it so much.

Drive is a movie about a stunt driver who is a getaway driver by night and in my opinion a sufferer of Asperger's syndrome. The nameless driver's expression is consistently vacant, to such degree that I did not for a second think of him as the silent brooding type but as if he's in a world of his own construction not found within this plane of existence. The screenplay would have you believe that its main character is existential when it seems to me he’s just not very intelligent. In an early, expository scene, "The Driver" explains to a customer on the phone how he works as a getaway driver and what he requires. Thereafter, for reasons unexplained, he seems incapable of uttering a complete sentence. He is also presented as innocent, after we see him ferrying a pair of burglars from the scene of their crime. Later, he displays a daunting, and also unexplained, skillset with a medley of deadly weapons. It is bereft of logic. As for plot, if you have seen the trailer, you have seen every scene in which he drives his Mustang. Extremely painful graphic violence is only okay if it’s done so operatically that it matches the film’s stylized approach. This is not the case. Interestingly enough, minus the gratuitously violent scenes, almost nothing happens. I kept waiting impatiently for a climax that never came. Granted, I did appreciate that it did not flood the atmosphere with a plethora of chase scenes and cars doing front flips and exploding, but how does one make a scene where drowning a man in the ocean is boring? How does one make a scene in which a man is killed with a claw-hammer in the back of a strip club boring? I do not know, but somehow Refn managed to do just that. Even the reveal disappointed me. I did not like how the same antagonists were connected by chance to more than one character in the film. It felt too small, too local, and too coincidental. When the movie finally ended, after what felt like 9 or 10 hours, I just sat there stunned, staring at the credits, listening to Real Human Bean, incredulous that I had actually managed to sit through that much tedium. I understand that it is originally an independent film, so it is not going to have the typical Hollywood feel and story progression, but where others see artistry, I see only the blank stares of Ryan Gosling. Gosling's acting in this feature is dubious at best. He seems as if he is simply there. The costarring cast is strong, including Ron Perlman, Bryan Cranston, Christina Hendricks, and Albert Brooks as a well-spoken goon. For me, Drive is all peacock feathers, punctuated by unpleasant bursts of violence. If that is what passes for cutting-edge filmmaking (or storytelling), we are in trouble. Some have been comparing it to Bullitt, and that is a fair comparison...if you put Steve McQueen on Quaaludes and erase half the dialogue. Drive seems to me like a chick flick without feeling. I actually might have post-traumatic stress from having had to sit through it--and not because of the violence, for I have seen far worse. Now the only thing that can redeem this monumental bore is rifftrax.
[/quote]
NIGGER
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Haruki    12659
grant has nudes? i'm so excited

Conscription.    1154
[url="http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/yaohm/i_rewatched_drive_noticed_something_about_the/"]http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/yaohm/i_rewatched_drive_noticed_something_about_the/[/url]

didnt really notice this until i read this

[url="http://imgur.com/0FnAp"]http://imgur.com/0FnAp[/url]

lol
  • Upvote 1