antispiral

Lightsworn - Discussion

255 posts in this topic

Lightsworn has traditionally been one of the most explosive and sacky decks on the YCS circuit. After their format of dominance in the form of Zombiesworn and pure Lightsworn, from September 2009 to March 2010, they were slaughtered by the banlist, and had key pieces of their deck, Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner, Charge of the Light Brigade, Necro Gardna, Honest, limited or semi-limited. They were reduced to a shell of their former self. Two years from that format, on September 2011, some pieces of the infamous Lightsworn engine were released from their shackles. That leads to many questions about the format. Will Judgment Dragon once again dominate our fields (and our hearts)? Will Necro Gardna and Tragoedia block game-winning attacks once more? And will Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning show up in our beloved Lightsworn decks?

//Monster Core:

300px-Lumina%2CLightswornSummonerCP08-EN-SR-UE.jpg

Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner

Attrib: Light

Type: Spellcaster/Effect

Level:3

Atk: 1000

Def: 1000

Once per turn, you can discard 1 card to Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Lightsworn" monster from your Graveyard. During each of your End Phases, send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard.

Ahh, our beloved mistress Lumina. Able to special summon any Level 4 or lower Lightsworn monster from the graveyard, she can swarm the field and often starts the milling the deck is renowned for. She can dump the dead cards in your hand (Necro Gardna, Wulf, Lightsworn Beast) and also sets up many synchro plays with the deck's graveyard tuners (Glow-Up Bulb, Plaguespreader Zombie). Run the one you have.

300px-Lyla%2CLightswornSorceressLODT-EN-UR-1E.png

Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress

Type: Spellcaster/Effect

Level:4

Atk: 1700

Def: 200

You can change this card from face-up Attack Position to face-up Defense Position and destroy 1 Spell or Trap Card your opponent controls. If you activate this effect, this card's battle position cannot be changed until the end of your next turn, except with a card effect. During each of your End Phases, send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard.

Lyla, Lighsworn Breaker provides the Spell/Trap destruction this deck needs to be able to drop the multiple Judgment Dragons this deck now has. Another good card to start the milling. The deck usually runs two.

300px-Garoth%2CLightswornWarriorTU01-EN-SR-UE.jpg

Garoth, Lightsworn Warrior

Type: Warrior/Effect

Atk: 1850

Def: 1300

Each time a card(s) is sent from your Deck to the Graveyard by the effect of a "Lightsworn" monster you control, except "Garoth, Lightsworn Warrior", send the top 2 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard. Then, draw 1 card for each "Lightsworn" monster sent to the Graveyard by this effect.

Garoth, Lightsworn Warrior is usually a one off that can combo well with Lumina, milling five, and at times netting you draws. His 1850 attack also comes in handy for running over those pesky 1800 attackers.

300px-Jain%2CLightswornPaladinLODT-EN-C-1E.png

Jain, Lightsworn Paladin

Atk: 1800

Def: 1200

If this card attacks an opponent's monster, it gains 300 ATK during the Damage Step only. During each of your End Phases, send the top 2 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard.

Why does the Lightsworn engine have so many girls? Garoth is a sick pimp. Jain is an extremely useful beater, as she can run over the big pesky monsters that Garoth can't, including Thunder King Rai-Oh and Doomcaliber Knight. One or two is usually run.

300px-Ehren%2CLightswornMonkLODT-EN-ScR-1E.png

Ehren, Lightsworn Monk

Atk: 1600

Def: 1000

If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, return that monster to its owner's Deck before damage calculation. During each of your End Phases, send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard.

Ehren is an option for another name, and helps Lightsworn handle pesky defense position monsters, like Spirit Reaper, or Legendary Jujitsu Master. Also good in variants that run Reinforcement of the Army, for more searchability of Lightsworn names

300px-Ryko%2CLightswornHunterGLD4-EN-GUR-LE.png

Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter

Type: Beast/Effect

Level:2

Atk: 200

Def: 100

FLIP: You can destroy 1 card on the field. Send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard.

Ryko, the deck's cute little puppy. He eats opposing spell/traps like nobody's business. In addition to baiting Solemn Warning, he can also get you out of sticky situations, such as a imposing Archlord Kristya, or a menacing Koa'ki Meiru Drago.

300px-Wulf%2CLightswornBeastLODT-EN-SR-1E.png

Wulf, Lightsworn Beast

Type: Beast-Warrior/Effect

Atk: 2100

Def: 300

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. When this card is sent from your Deck to the Graveyard, Special Summon it.

Wow, damn furries. Wulf is another Lightsworn name for the vaunted dragon. Hitting him is a nice benefit when you mill, and can help you swing for damage or run over monsters. Can remain dead in hand, so usually only one copy is run. Is searchable with Foolish Burial if Foolish Burial is mained.

300px-Celestia%2CLightswornAngelGLD4-EN-GUR-LE.png

Celestia, Lightsworn Angel

Type: Fairy/Effect

Level:5

Atk: 2300

When you Tribute Summon this card by Tributing a "Lightsworn" monster, you can send the top 4 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard to destroy up to 2 cards your opponent controls.

Celestia, Lightsworn Angel gives Judgment Dragon another name, and can be a powerful force. With a monarch-like ability, and a guaranteed mill, you can swiftly take control of the duel with this if the effect is not negated.

300px-EffectVeilerDP10-EN-R-1E.png

Effect Veiler

Type: Spellcaster/Tuner/Effect

Level:1

Atk: 0

Def: 0

During your opponent's Main Phase, you can send this card from your hand to the Graveyard to select 1 face-up Effect Monster your opponent controls. Negate the effect(s) of that monster until the End Phase.

300px-HonestSDLS-EN-C-1E.png

Honest

Type: Fairy/Effect

Atk: 1100

Def: 1900

During your Main Phase, you can return this card from the field to it's owner's hand. During either player's Damage Step, when a face-up LIGHT monster you control battles, you can send this card from your hand to the Graveyard to have that monster gain ATK equal to the ATK of the opponent's monster it is battling, until the End Phase.

300px-NecroGardnaGLD2-EN-GUR-LE.jpg

Necro Gardna

Attrib: Dark

Level:3

Atk: 600

Def: 1300

Remove from play this card in your Graveyard to negate 1 attack from a monster your opponent controls.

300px-TragoediaJUMP-EN-UR-LE.png

Tragoedia

Type: Fiend/Effect

Level:10

Atk: ?

Def: ?

You can Special Summon this card from your hand when you take Battle Damage . This card gains 600 ATK and DEF for each card in your hand. Once per turn, you can send 1 monster from your hand to the Graveyard to take control of 1 face-up monster your opponent controls with the same Level as the sent monster. Once per turn, you can select 1 monster in your Graveyard; this card's Level becomes the same as that monster's, until the End Phase.

300px-GorztheEmissaryofDarknessDLG1-EN-ScR-LE.png

Gorz the Emissary of Darkness

Type: Fiend/Effect

Level:7

Atk: 2700

Def: 2500

When you take damage from a card your opponent controls while you control no cards, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. Then activate the appropriate effect, based on the type of damage:• Battle Damage: Special Summon 1 "Emissary of Darkness Token" (Fairy-Type/LIGHT/Level 7/ATK ?/DEF ?). It's ATK and DEF are each equal to the amount of battle damage you took. • Effect Damage: Inflict damage to your opponent equal to the amount of damage you took.

Since the deck runs little to no protection in the form of spell and traps due to the nature of Judgment Dragon and the nature of the mill, Honest, Necro Gardna, Tragoedia, and Gorz remain tremendously helpful. These cards all require your opponent to tread carefully around your life points, lest he overextend and get smashed by these defensive monster cards.

300px-Glow-UpBulbSTBL-EN-UR-1E.jpg

Glow-Up Bulb

Attrib: Earth

Type: Plant/Tuner/Effect

Level:1

Atk: 100

Def: 100

You can send the top card of your Deck to the Graveyard, and Special Summon this card from the Graveyard. Each player can only use the effect of "Glow-Up Bulb" once per Duel.

PlaguespreaderZombieCSOC-EN-UR-1E.jpg

Plaguespreader Zombie

Type: Zombie/Tuner/Effect

Level:2

Atk: 400

You can return 1 card from your hand to the top of the Deck to Special Summon this card from the Graveyard. If you do, remove this card from play when it is removed from the field.

The deck's graveyard tuners, Glow-Up Bulb and Plaguespreader Zombie allow for synchro plays for the normally synchro-incaple Lightsworn deck. (DAMN YOU KONAMI!) Whether they be milled or summoned, they help the deck access the enormous Synchro monster pool. There is a neat play to selectively mill a card if you stack a Lightsworn monster (usually Wulf) for Plaguespreader, then mill it with Glow-Up or a Lightsworn effect. Can allow you to summon Judgment Dragon or special summon wulf to make synchro plays. Run one of each.

BlackLusterSoldier-EnvoyoftheBeginningGLD4-EN-GUR-LE.png

Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning

Level:8

Atk: 3000

Def: 2500

Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by banishing 1 LIGHT monster and 1 DARK monster from your Graveyard. Once per turn: You can activate 1 of the following effects: • Banish 1 monster on the field. If you activate this card, this card cannot attack during this turn. • If this card destroyed your opponent's monster by battle, it can attack once again in a row.

Recently unbanned, many are testing builds with Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning in the main deck, because of its tremendous effect. This deck seamlessly incorporates it with a few Dark additions, due to its prevalence of lights.

300px-JudgmentDragonLODT-EN-ScR-1E.png

Judgment Dragon

Type: Dragon/Effect

Level:8

Atk: 3000

Def: 2600

Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Can only be Special Summoned (from your hand) if you have 4 or more "Lightsworn" monsters with different names in your Graveyard. You can pay 1000 Life Points; destroy all other cards on the field. During each of your End Phases: send the top 4 cards of your deck to the Graveyard.

Read the fucking card. Run the maximum amount.

Other Monsters:

Shire, Lightsworn Spirit

Aurkus, Lightsworn Monk

Chaos Sorceror

Card Trooper

Tour Guide from the Underworld

Sangan

//Spell & Trap Core:

300px-SolarRechargeLODT-EN-UR-1E.png

Solar Recharge

Group: Spell Card

Type: Spell

Discard 1 "Lightsworn" monster. Draw 2 cards then send the top 2 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard.

Lightsworn generic draw card. Solar Recharge allows for milling and for drawing at the cost of one (possibly dead) Lightsworn monster in your hand. Three is always run unless it is a variant with less Lightsworn cards.

300px-ChargeoftheLightBrigadeTDGS-EN-ScR-1E.png

Charge of the Light Brigade

Send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard. Add 1 Level 4 or lower "Lightsworn" monster from your Deck to your hand.

Arguably THE card that defined Lightsworn during its dominant format, Charge of the Light Brigade mills three cards AND searches any Level 4 or lower Lightsworn monster. Allowed Lightsworns to quickly accumulate Lightsworn names in the graveyard while also accessing Lumina. Run it.

300px-GoldSarcophagusSJCS-EN-UR-LE.png

Gold Sarcophagus

Select 1 card in your deck; banish it. During your second Standby Phase after this card's activation, add the banished card to your hand.

Gold Sarcophagus helps Lightsworn by allowing them to access their Judgment Dragon after two turns. In a deck centered around getting that amazing monster, it's not a bad choice at all. Can also be used to search Charge of the Light Brigade, Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning, and other power spell cards. Usually run at two or three.

300px-BeckoningLightSDLS-EN-C-1E.jpg

Beckoning Light

Group: Trap Card

Type: Trap

Discard all the cards in your hand to the Graveyard, then select a number of LIGHT monsters from your Graveyard equal to the number of cards you discarded, and add them to your hand.

Beckoning Light is a very powerful card with a loaded grave at Lightsworn's disposal. Allows Lightsworn to recycle monsters dumped from their mills, such as Judgment Dragon, Honest, Black Luster Soldier, and Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner. One or two is usually run.

Other Spells/Traps:

Pot of Avarice

Pot of Duality

Foolish Burial

Call of the Haunted

Glorious Illusion

//Extra Deck Core

The deck runs an extremely standard extra deck, with staples from every level and rank because of its inability to synchro or xyz swarm.

Lightsworn, with its Judgment Dragons and Honests and ridiculous mills, are as sacky as ever. Some may question its ability to maintain a consistent record over a 10+ round YCS, but none can question its ability to explode. Only time will tell if its doubters are correct or not, but a new format brings new opportunities for this dreaded deck.

Sample Decklist:

//28 Monsters
3|Lodt|Judgment Dragon
3|Exvc|Tour Guide From the Underworld
2|Drev|Effect Veiler
2|Taev|Necro Gardna
2|Jump|Tragoedia
2|Lodt|Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter
2|Lodt|Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress
1|Lodt|Aurkus, Lightsworn Druid
1|Lodt|Ehren, Lightsworn Monk
1|Lodt|Garoth, Lightsworn Warrior
1|Lodt|Jain, Lightsworn Paladin
1|Lodt|Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner
1|Lodt|Wulf, Lightsworn Beast
1|Lodt|Honest
1|Ioc|Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning
1|Dlg1|Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
1|Mrd|Sangan
1|Csoc|Plaguespreader Zombie
1|Stbl|Glow-Up Bulb

//12 Spells
3|Lodt|Solar Recharge
3|Sjc|Gold Sarcophagus
2|Mrl|Mystical Space Typhoon
1|Tdgs|Charge of the Light Brigade
1|Lob|Dark Hole
1|Mrd|Heavy Storm
1|Lob|Monster Reborn

//2 Traps
2|Ast|Beckoning Light

//Extra Deck
1|Ha01|Ally of Justice Catastor
1|Dp08|Armory Arm
1|Csoc|Black Rose Dragon
1|Ha01|Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1|5ds1|Colossal Fighter
1|5ds1|Gaia Knight, the Force of Earth
1|Genf|Orient Dragon
1|Drev|Scrap Dragon
1|Tdgs|Stardust Dragon
1|Jump|T.G. Hyper Librarian
1|Ha04|Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1|Genf|Leviair the Sea Dragon
1|Genf|Number 17 Leviathan Dragon
1|Ys11|Number 39 Utopia
1|Genf|Steelswarm Roach

You may want to actually write about Tour Guide some, even if only in passing.

You may want to actually write about Tour Guide some, even if only in passing.

Done.

Not every new topic HAS to have something about Tour Guide, just saying. I think people get it by now.

3 Judgment Dragon

2 Celestia

2 Wulf

2 Chaos Sorcerer

2 Tragoedia

2 Lyla

2 Necro Gardna

2 Card Trooper

1 Jain

1 Lumina

1 BLS

1 Sangan

1 Gorz

1 Honest

1 Plaguespreader Zombie

1 Glow Up Bulb

1 Garoth

3 Solar Recharge

2 Gold Sarcophagus

2 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Charge of the Light Brigade

1 Pot of Duality

1 Dark Hole

1 Heavy Storm

1 Monster Reborn

2 Beckoning Light

Prolly gonna end up dropping the duality.

3 Judgment Dragon

2 Celestia

2 Wulf

2 Chaos Sorcerer

2 Tragoedia

2 Lyla

2 Necro Gardna

1 Card Trooper

1 Jain

1 Lumina

1 BLS

1 Sangan

1 Gorz

1 Honest

1 Plaguespreader Zombie

1 Glow Up Bulb

1 Garoth

3 Solar Recharge

3 Gold Sarcophagus

2 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Dark Hole

1 Heavy Storm

1 Monster Reborn

2 Beckoning Light

What I've been running.

I personally really like ROTA in here.

It gives much needed consistency, gets you Jain which overpowers Drago and Roach, and while it's very underrated/overlooked, it can get you Necro Gardna to discard for Lumina.

3 Judgment Dragon

2 Celestia

2 Wulf

2 Chaos Sorcerer

2 Tragoedia

2 Lyla

2 Necro Gardna

1 Card Trooper

1 Jain

1 Lumina

1 BLS

1 Sangan

1 Gorz

1 Honest

1 Plaguespreader Zombie

1 Glow Up Bulb

1 Garoth

3 Solar Recharge

3 Gold Sarcophagus

2 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Dark Hole

1 Heavy Storm

1 Monster Reborn

2 Beckoning Light

What I've been running.

Hows the double wulf treating you? I only run 1 Wulf and I like always draw the stupid thing in my opening hand lol

I personally really like ROTA in here.

It gives much needed consistency, gets you Jain which overpowers Drago and Roach, and while it's very underrated/overlooked, it can get you Necro Gardna to discard for Lumina.

I think its okay. If I could get my hands on an Ehren I'll probably try testing it.

3 Judgment Dragon

2 Celestia

2 Wulf

2 Chaos Sorcerer

2 Tragoedia

2 Lyla

2 Necro Gardna

1 Card Trooper

1 Jain

1 Lumina

1 BLS

1 Sangan

1 Gorz

1 Honest

1 Plaguespreader Zombie

1 Glow Up Bulb

1 Garoth

3 Solar Recharge

3 Gold Sarcophagus

2 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Dark Hole

1 Heavy Storm

1 Monster Reborn

2 Beckoning Light

What I've been running.

Hows the double wulf treating you? I only run 1 Wulf and I like always draw the stupid thing in my opening hand lol

Its been doing pretty good so far.

How is card trooper testing? I used him in the past and he was alright, but now I am a little more skeptical.

I was using 2 at first but I dropped to 1 for room.

I still think its pretty essential though. Gets your mills going, is a floater, and can get dem wulfs.

I'm personally at the point where I might just say "fuck it" and start testing 3 Wulfs. The deck is more likely to mill anything than draw it, so logically speaking, the more Wulfs you run, the more you'll summon.

Yes, I'm aware of the dangers of drawing Wulf... but I think that can be compensated for.

It could also be much more viable if you're crazy enough to test out Needlebug Nest. Which I might be.

--------------------------------------

Is there such thing as a Destiny Hero - Lightsworn variant? I've been wondering about it now that Destiny Draw has been semi'd.

With Destiny Draw, Reinforcements of the Army, Allure of Darkness, Pot of Avarice, Heavy Storm, Reborn, Dark Hole, CotLB, Solar Recharge, and various techable cards, Diamond Dude could potentially have a lot of targets; one might even run A Feather of the Phoenix to both be a target and to create known targets of milled Spell cards, or to simply put a Wulf on top for milling or a Boss Monster for drawing.

Milling Malicious is always great too.

Best of all, as all Destiny Heros are dark (and many are RotA targets), the Twilight/Chaos aspect of the deck is still alive and well. All of them are TGU/Sangan targets too; that's a nice little plus. =P

Jain is super important in this format. Getting over Roach consistently will win you games against Zombies which is otherwise a hard matchup

I run 3 wulf for the lulz.

I figure, if I'm gonna play a sac deck, why not try and be as much so as possible. That way, even if I draw 2 I still have one left to mill.

I run 3 wulf for the lulz.

I figure, if I'm gonna play a sac deck, why not try and be as much so as possible. That way, even if I draw 2 I still have one left to mill.

But drawing a Wulf is more likely going to lose you a game then winning it because you milled one.

It's still fun to mill all 3 every now and then. I'd rather use wulf for recharge than a normal ls. Also, pitching wulf for trags effect is nice. I seem to always have a way to use the wulf, it's hardly ever dead, and even if it is, I can bluff honest very well.

Running more then 1 Wulf adds inconsistency to a deck that already draws horrible compared to the other top decks this format. I would cut it out completely if Celestia wasn't so good.

I'd rather use wulf for recharge than a normal ls.

what laughably terrible logic

how do you guys like 3 gold sarc in this deck? and do you think tour guide is a neccsessity in here for it to compete?

how do you guys like 3 gold sarc in this deck? and do you think tour guide is a neccsessity in here for it to compete?

I don't like gold sarc at all tbh. It can help you get a card to save you from a bad hand, but 3 is too many IMO. I run one myself, but i think 2 is fine.

I don't like tgu in this deck, but it is definitely good to be able to search honest or lumina first turn.

You don't have to run tgu, but it is still a good option.

Just gonna plonk this here. Was testing this last night, and seemed to run really smoothly.

3 Judgment Dragon

3 Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter

2 Card Trooper

2 Celestia, Lightsworn Angel

2 Effect Veiler

2 Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress

2 Necro Gardna

2 Wulf, Lightsworn Beast

1 Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning

1 Ehren, Lightsworn Monk

1 Garoth, Lightsworn Warrior

1 Gorz the Emissary of Darkness

1 Honest

1 Jain, Lightsworn Paladin

1 Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner

1 Plaguespreader Zombie

3 Mystical Space Typhoon

3 Solar Recharge

1 Dark Hole

1 Foolish Burial

1 Heavy Storm

1 Monster Reborn

3 Beckoning Light

I don't like gold sarc at all tbh. It can help you get a card to save you from a bad hand, but 3 is too many IMO. I run one myself, but i think 2 is fine.

I don't like tgu in this deck, but it is definitely good to be able to search honest or lumina first turn.

why would you not run tgu in this? do you enjoy having no early game?

I enjoy having 450 dollars more...

Just gonna plonk this here. Was testing this last night, and seemed to run really smoothly.

3 Judgment Dragon

3 Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter

2 Card Trooper

2 Celestia, Lightsworn Angel

2 Effect Veiler

2 Lyla, Lightsworn Sorceress

2 Necro Gardna

2 Wulf, Lightsworn Beast

1 Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning

1 Ehren, Lightsworn Monk

1 Garoth, Lightsworn Warrior

1 Gorz the Emissary of Darkness

1 Honest

1 Jain, Lightsworn Paladin

1 Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner

1 Plaguespreader Zombie

3 Mystical Space Typhoon

3 Solar Recharge

1 Dark Hole

1 Foolish Burial

1 Heavy Storm

1 Monster Reborn

3 Beckoning Light

i havent seen alot of builds run bulb anymore is it just the icing on the cake now? and how has 3 ryko been testing? seems kinda slow for the format and if u are runing 3 ryko i can see pod in this.

I enjoy having 450 dollars more...

If it's too expensive for you then DON'T PLAY THE GAME!!!!!

Simple solution...