cum

Blackwing - Discussion

686 posts in this topic

Blackwing - Discussion

Blackwings as a deck got their start with the release of Crimson Crisis and Raging Battle, where they were an archetype used by Crow in the anime, that seemed to focus on Special Summoning large amounts of monsters and making their themed synchros. However, they quickly rose to the top as an archetype that focused on the summoning of Dark Strike Fighter. In the next list, they were hit, with Gale going to 1 and Dark Strike Fighter banned. However, they managed to remain a top tier deck. Blackwings have managed to stay top tier through almost all the large amounts of hits they have received, only dropping after the March 2011 list. However, the September list gives them a card back, and with other changes, Blackwings might end up being a strong contender in the new format.

300px-BlackwingGaletheWhirlwindDP11-EN-R-1E.jpg

Gale is a pure monster in many decks, but especially so in Blackwings. Being able to special summon himself in times of need, and kill threats with up to 2550 attack, he is one of the best cards in the archetype. Play the 1 legal copy.

251px-BlackwingKaluttheMoonShadowDL11-EN-R-UE-Blue.jpg

Kalut allows your Blackwings to overcome threats bigger than themselves during the damage step, thus adding another element of fear to playing against Blackwings. His very existence can also serve as a threat in and of itself, as you can attack into bigger monsters with your Blackwings even when you don't have Kalut to bait out Dimensional Prison and Mirror Force. Play the 1 you can.

300px-Blackwing-ShuratheBlueFlameRGBT-EN-C-1E.png

Shura is one of the main incentives to run this deck. He'll normally be summoning Vayu or Gale and creating a synchro or other threat for your opponent. He also works well with Black Whirlwind and Kalut for additional plusses. Play 3.

300px-BlackwingKochitheDaybreakDP11-EN-R-1E.jpg

With the release of Xyz monsters, Kochi becomes better off of a Shura for the fact that you can make Utopia or Steelswarm Roach. He also gives the deck a level 4 tuner for more level 8 synchro options. However, with a small body and a damaging effect, he isn't often highly useful. Run 0-1.

300px-BlackwingBoratheSpearDP11-EN-R-1E.jpg

Bora adds aggression to the deck, and allows the deck to easily beat decks that rely on cards such as Tokens or Spirit Reaper for defense. He is also a level 4 for Xyz and synchro summons that can special summon himself. Run 2-3.

Blackwing-BlizzardtheFarNorthRGBT-EN-R-1E.jpg

Now we come to what in my opinion is the main reason for playing the deck. Blizzard is amazing. He allows you to come back from bad situations, often with a single topdeck, and make level 6/5 synchro plays with your monsters. He also helps with graveyard control for cards such as Vayu and DAD. At times, however, he can be a bad topdeck if your grave is not yet loaded. Run 2-3, but almost always 3.

300px-BlackwingZephyrostheEliteDP11-EN-UR-1E.jpg

Zephyros is one of the deck's newest tricks, and allows for cool plays with Bora and Gale for virtually free synchros and Xyz monsters. The plus he provides can often be crucial in forcing a game into your favor. Run 1-2, but more than 1 usually isn't necessary as he can be redundant.

300px-Blackwing-VayutheEmblemofHonorANPR-EN-UR-1E.jpg

Vayu is a strong card when used in tandem with Shura, which allows it to be used for a synchro on the field, opening up easy level 5 and 9 synchro plays for the deck. It can also be used from the graveyard with a dead Sirroco, Armed Wing, or Armor Master to create a surprise synchro to swing the game. However, more than 1 copy will often clog your hand. Run 1-2 in standard Blackwings.

Vayu Turbo is a decktype centering around using Vayu's effect to bring out many large beaters and overwhelm your opponent. This deck plays less Blackwings than typical decks, usually playing only 3 Vayu, 3 Sirocco, 1 Zephyros, Gale, and a Shura or 2. This deck also plays cards such as Dark Grepher and Armageddon Knight to support Vayu's effect. Play 3 Vayu in this deck.

300px-Blackwing-SiroccotheDawnCRMS-EN-C-1E.png

Sirocco is the biggest maindecked Blackwing the deck normally plays, and has an effect that allows Blackwings to beat over larger monsters. However, the fact that he's often a hard to normal summon vanilla hurts alot, and he's often lackluster if not used with Black Whirlwind or Gale. He's often used simply as Vayu food in the deck. Play 0-1, unless you're playing Vayu turbo. Play 2-3 in Vayu Turbo.

300px-DarkArmedDragonPTDN-EN-ScR-1E.png

Dark Armed Dragon adds another boss to the deck, and with the amount of graveyard control Blizzard and Vayu provide, is often very easy to summon. Run 1.

Other Monster card choices:

Effect Veiler - adds a form of non-trap based defense to the deck, important in the upcoming format.

Tour Guide + Sangan - Usable in most every deck anymore, but have a much smaller range of targets in a Blackwing deck.

Blackwing - Breeze the Zephyr - Not highly playable, but has interesting combos if you're using Sangan

Blackwing - Calima the Haze - It can act as a pseudo-Necro Gardna with the name "Blackwing", but is hit hard by Kristya and often the deck won't need it. An interesting option though.

Maxx "C" - works much the same as Veiler

Thunder King Rai-Oh - A strong form of stun/power for this deck, but with the popularity of Tour Guide will often be a minus for you.

Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning - Considerable as another boss if you're playing Veiler or Thunder King. Worth noting that Utopia is also a light.

Card Trooper, Armageddon Knight, and Dark Grepher - All ways of putting large amounts of monsters in your gravey, fueling Vayu's effect. All of them are viable options in Vayu Turbo, but probably not in Standard wings.

300px-BlackWhirlwindTU01-EN-SR-UE.jpg

A strong searcher for the deck that will provide a train of plus 1s when you normal summon repeatedly. Will rarely be dead when you have hands consisting of Vayu or Blizzard. Also can be used in tandem with Blizzard to play around Warning if your opponent is an idiot and didn't Warning his summon.

300px-PotofDualityDREV-EN-ScR-1E.jpg

Duality adds consistency to the deck, as the deck will not always need a special summon through it's strength in normal summonable monsters. However, some people find that it will often be dead for them. Run however many you feel necessary, but at least one is suggested.

300px-AllureofDarknessSDMA-EN-C-1E.jpg

Allure of Darkness provides more consistency for the deck, and no monsters are so overly important to the deck in that they can't be removed. Play 1.

Other Spell card choices:

Cards for Black Feathers - A mix of Allure and Pot of Duality that is usually to restrictive and unnecessary.

Burial from a Different Dimension - Lets you reuse Vayu's effect in Vayu Turbo. Can often be a dead draw however.

IcarusAttackSDDL-EN-C-1E.jpg

Chainable removal for the deck that allows you to clear out boss monsters or spell and trap threats or can simply be chained to your opponent's removal for a plus. The amount of power it loses from Heavy Storm coming back is rather negligible. Play 3.

300px-DeltaCrow-AntiReverseRGBT-EN-SR-1E.png

With the unbanning of Heavy Storm, people won't be setting as many backrow as to make this a plus anymore. It becomes rather useless and often dead or even a plus for your opponent. Play 0, or at most 1.

Other Trap choices:

Return from the Different Dimension - Can be used in Vayu Turbo for large pushes after using Vayu's effect, or for game after DAD or Allure. Worth playing in Vayu Turbo, and consideration in standard 'Wings.

Extra Deck Choices:

300px-BlackwingArmorMasterCRMS-EN-UR-1E.png

%20<a%20%20data-cke-saved-href=

The 3 signature Blackwing Synchros. None of them have the greatest effects, but they all benefit from being named "Blackwing", because of Vayu, Gale, etc. Play 1 of each, although silverwind isn't necessary.

300px-VortextheWhirlwindSTOR-EN-SR-1E.png

A Blackwing wannabe. Blackwings can make him fairly easily, but he'll often be killed by removal rather than battle, making Librarian or Catastor a better choice. Play 1 if you want to.

300px-OrientDragonGENF-EN-ScR-1E.png

Wow? A good Blizzard synchro that isn't named Brionac? Blizzard lets you create this card with ease, and this card lets you break your opponents setups. This card gives the deck what it needs by making Blizzard even more amazing than before.

300px-Number39UtopiaYS11-EN-UR-UE.jpg

Blackwings play a large number of easy to summon level 4s, so both of these cards are great for the deck. You can make either of them virtually for one card with Shura into Kochi or Bora + Zephyros. You'll be going for Utopia unless you have protection for Roach usually, but both of them add a whole new toolbox to the deck.

Other Synchro card choices:

Dark End Dragon

Arcanite Magician (depending on your side deck)

Number 17: Leviathan Dragon

Leviar the Sea Dragon

Kochi should be mentioned under Shura but very good job

Kochi should be mentioned under Shura but very good job

Thanks, I'll move that.

Dunno if Blackwing - Calima the Haze is worth mentioning in the "Other Monster card choices:" sections. It's a pseudo Necro Gardna (and also a Shura-ble LV4) but Kristya completely nerfs it.

During your opponent's Battle Phase, if you control no monsters, you can remove from play this card from the Graveyard to select 1 Synchro Monster in your Graveyard, and Special Summon it. It is removed from play at the end of the Battle Phase.

This is really good, and I cant wait to play around with BW in the next format

Dunno if Blackwing - Calima the Haze is worth mentioning in the "Other Monster card choices:" sections. It's a pseudo Necro Gardna (and also a Shura-ble LV4) but Kristya completely nerfs it.

During your opponent's Battle Phase, if you control no monsters, you can remove from play this card from the Graveyard to select 1 Synchro Monster in your Graveyard, and Special Summon it. It is removed from play at the end of the Battle Phase.

I'll put in something about it.

EDIT: Basically just paraphrased what you said.

There are different variations of this deck. What about Vayu Turbo?

There are different variations of this deck. What about Vayu Turbo?

I was planning on covering it but didn't get around to it.

Expect me to by sometime tomorrow.

Mention Vayu Turbo under Vayu, put Armageddon Knight and Dark Grepher under other options (with notes for Vayu Turbo specifically).

Mention Vayu Turbo under Vayu, put Armageddon Knight and Dark Grepher under other options (with notes for Vayu Turbo specifically).

and Burial from a Different Dimension in that case.

How come Sangan isn't popular in Sept 2011 builds? It searches over half of the important Blackwings, Veiler, Maxx "C", random techs.

How come Sangan isn't popular in Sept 2011 builds? It searches over half of the important Blackwings, Veiler, Maxx "C", random techs.

Most of the time you would want to use your summon/set for a BW (you need your Icarus alive asap / some times Bluff a Kalut).

Sangan maybe good (maybe even better with 2 Call of the Haunted) this format for the reasons you stated because of 3 MST and a Heavy Storm.

with the amount of tuners in the deck you can also use mind control as a valid card for tuner,xyz setup

with the amount of tuners in the deck you can also use mind control as a valid card for tuner,xyz setup

Mind Control is a near-staple for this deck now. I have been trying the card out and I like it when I have dead Blizzards in my hand.

How many MST's are you guys playing? I'm playing 3 atm, and 3 Veiler.

Playing 2, i needed the room for Dustshoot +2 BTH.

How's 3 MST for you?

How's 3 MST for you?

I've had very limited testing but it's alright. It's nice to kill those random backrows but we also have trip Icarus and Heavy for that. How's BTH working for you?

How's 3 MST for you?

I've had very limited testing but it's alright. It's nice to kill those random backrows but we also have trip Icarus and Heavy for that. How's BTH working for you?

I've been only testing G1 vs Agents lately, BTH is nice w hen they try to drop Kristya/Hyperion on you but thay's about it.

Has anyone tested Ally of Justice Quarantine in the side or Kycoo?

Idk how to feel about AoJ Quarantine, it seems kinda passive but if you can protect it it practically shuts down Agents.

Kycoo on other hand is aggressive but it doesn't have the same "lock-down" feature Quarantine has. It does a better job at handling LS than Quarantine but also takes care of Zombies to an extent.

I would not even bother with Bottomless as long as we have ignition priority. Once ignition priority is gone however, I can see it as a near staple for the format. Kycoo definitely deserves space in the Side Deck but I would rather use Thunder King over Quarantine, but both are highly vulnerable to Tour Guide regardless. If not for the Tour Guide bullshit in the TCG, Thunder King alone would be able to shut down many plays an Agent player is capable of in a turn and it would perhaps be a Main Deck staple for this deck. Has anyone tested Mind Crush in the Main Deck? I would like to fit in one or two but space is tight for this deck because you already need to run Solemn, two Warnings, three Icarus, and Dustshoot while Starlight, Mirror, and Torrential also appear necessary.

If/when the Tour Guide rulings change; I'm definetly building this. Right now though I just feel like opposing tour guide plays are too much for this deck to handle.

If/when the Tour Guide rulings change; I'm definetly building this. Right now though I just feel like opposing tour guide plays are too much for this deck to handle.

My solution is maining trip Effect Veiler.

3 Effect Veiler

3 Blackwing-Shura the Blue Flame

3 Blackwing-Bora the Spear

3 Blackwing-Blizzard the Far North

1 Blackwing-Sirocco the Dawn

1 Blackwing-Zephyros the Elite

1 Blackwing-Kalut the Moon Shadow

1 Blackwing-Gale the Whirlwind

1 Black Luster Soldier-Envoy of the Beginning

1 Dark Armed Dragon

1 Gorz, the Emissary of the Afterlife

-19-

3 Pot of Duality

2 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Allure of Darkness

1 Monster Reborn

1 Black Whirlwind

1 Book of Moon

1 Mind Control

1 Heavy Storm

1 Dark Hole

-12-

3 Icarus Attack

2 Solemn Warning

2 Mind Crush

1 Solemn Judgment

1 Torrential Tribute

1 Trap Dustshoot

-10-

I obviously forgot Vayu and I wouldn't mind playing Koichi.

2 Blackwing Armed Wing

2 Blackwing Armor Master

1 Blackwing Silverwind the Ascendant

1 Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier

1 Dark End Dragon

1 Stardust Dragon

1 Black Rose Dragon

1 Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier

1 Orient Dragon

1 Ally of Justice Catastor

2 Number 49: Utopia

1 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon

3 Effect Veiler

3 Blackwing-Shura the Blue Flame

3 Blackwing-Bora the Spear

3 Blackwing-Blizzard the Far North

1 Blackwing-Sirocco the Dawn

1 Blackwing-Zephyros the Elite

1 Blackwing-Kalut the Moon Shadow

1 Blackwing-Gale the Whirlwind

1 Black Luster Soldier-Envoy of the Beginning

1 Dark Armed Dragon

1 Gorz, the Emissary of the Afterlife

-19-

3 Pot of Duality

2 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Allure of Darkness

1 Monster Reborn

1 Black Whirlwind

1 Book of Moon

1 Mind Control

1 Heavy Storm

1 Dark Hole

-12-

3 Icarus Attack

2 Solemn Warning

2 Mind Crush

1 Solemn Judgment

1 Torrential Tribute

1 Trap Dustshoot

-10-

I obviously forgot Vayu and I wouldn't mind playing Koichi.

2 Blackwing Armed Wing

2 Blackwing Armor Master

1 Blackwing Silverwind the Ascendant

1 Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier

1 Dark End Dragon

1 Stardust Dragon

1 Black Rose Dragon

1 Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier

1 Orient Dragon

1 Ally of Justice Catastor

2 Number 49: Utopia

1 Chimeratech Fortress Dragon

don't think youll need 2 Armor Master tbh

Has anyone tried out Decisive Arms?

A lot of people are playing Lightsworn and Agents atm so I don't see no reason to not play Decisive Armor. That and this deck has an easier time summoning it.