infinite

Gadget - Discussion

185 posts in this topic

Gadget Discussion

Overview

Competitive Gadget decks center on the usage of the 3 main Gadget monsters; Red Gadget, Yellow Gadget, and Green Gadget which all searches one another out upon summon. The essence of all Gadget decks is the card advantage you get from them and how you decide to use those resources. Given this I feel this deck can potentially reward skillful and creative deck building due to its openness.

Play Styles

Given how the gadget monsters themselves function we have seen varying play styles through the years. We’ve seen anti meta builds and more recently Machina builds that uses the constant advantage the Gadgets supply as an assist to their means.

Machina Gadget decks features Machina Gearframe and Machina Fotress; Machina Gearframe searches out the powerful Machine Fortress and the Gadgets play their role by supplying fodder to unleash Machina Fortress.

Anti Meta Gadgets varies from format to format because it’s built to counter the meta but the overall goal is to control and simplify the game state while gaining advantage from your gadget monsters. Most likely you’ll see cards like Fossil Dyna which eliminate options and one for one removal which simplify the game state and protect your monsters.

Offering Gadgets has been around for a while but it is once again gaining popularity thanks to the new game mechanics. At its core you use Ultimate Offering to spam the field with a bunch of Gadgets. Originally we witnessed players try to one turn kill using limiter removal but that wasn’t a very consistent strategy. Now thanks to the new summoning mechanics a ton of combos open up.

Machina Gadget Members

300px-MachinaGearframeSDMM-EN-SR-1E.jpg

Machina Gearframe comes complete with a sturdy 1800 attack body and 2 useful effects. The first allows it to search any Machina monster except itself from the deck to your hand including Fortress essentially making a themed Stratos. The second allows it to equip itself to any Machine type monster to shield it from destruction. Fortress becomes a true annoyance especially backed with a Gearframe. Running 3 copies is a must

300px-MachinaFortressSDMM-EN-UR-1E.jpg

Machina Fortress is the boss monster essentially for this particular deck. Its stats are decent but its effects are what make it truly shine. Your opponent may not want to take this guy down outside of using spell and traps. Combine that with a simple summoning condition, how easy it is to search it and how it easy it to bring it back it can be a thorn in your opponent’s side. Run 2 to 3

300px-MachinaForceSDMM-EN-C-1E.jpg

Machina Force is useless outside of reviving Machine Fortress and it is also searched by Gearframe. Most players run 1 copy.

300px-MachinaPeacekeeperSDMM-EN-SR-1E.jpg

Machina Peacekeeper is similar to Gearframe but it has smaller stats and only exclusively searches union monsters which include Gearframe however. It’s a decent card but most players forgo using it.

Offering Gadget Members

Offering Gadgets isn’t an archetype like the above Machina monsters it’s a deck built around combos and synergy between Ultimate Offering and the Gadget monsters. Essentially you play cards to take advantage of the resources the Gadgets make.

300px-RebornTenguEXVC-EN-UR-LE.jpg

Reborn Tengu owes a lot to the way Xyz mechanics work in the TCG. A popular strategy the deck is to bring out Xyz monsters and Tengu like the Gadgets replaces himself even when used as Xyz material. That and it's Tengu. Run 3.

300px-Glow-UpBulbSTBL-EN-UR-1E.jpg

Glow-up Bulb is a tuner so it grants the deck access to synchro monsters. The card also has a few combos as well with Tengu you can summon make Hyper Liberian Tengu’s effect activates getting another one, then you activate GUB effect to make another synchro. You end up drawing one card and with 3 monsters on the field. Similar plays can be made with the Gadgets and Ultimate Offering and you can drop Trishula as well. I would definitely play a GUB.

300px-TourGuideFromtheUnderworldEXVC-EN-ScR-1E.png

Tour Guide is quickly becoming a defining card this metagame and that has a lot to do with the way Xyz mechanics current work. Tour Guide basically becomes a 2500 attack Stratos which searches a myriad of cards. The card also give you one card access various Rank 3 Xyz monster including Leviar the Sea Dragon. If you play it you must run three along with its life partner Sangan.

300px-GenexAllyBirdmanHA04-EN-SR-1E.jpg

Birdman has truly become the generic combo card of this game. It combos with tengu, it combos with gadgets, it combos with tour guide, it combos with breaker it just combos. Run 1 or 2 of it.

Other Monster Options:

Poke Dra

Breaker

Gale

Beastking Barbaros

Cyber Valley

Tragoedia

Debris Dragon (If poke Dra is mained)

Caius the Shadow Monarch

Gagaga Magician

Summoner Monk

Deep-Sea Diva

Spell and Trap options for Offering Gadgets

300px-UltimateOfferingCP04-EN-SR-UE.png

Its called Offering Gadgets for a reason. Run 3

300px-EnemyControllerSDSC-EN-C-1E.jpg

Enemy controller is a cute card here considering that most of your monsters can already pay for themselves so the cost is easily met with out worry and the monster you get can easily become an Xyz or Synchro monster. It also may protect your monsters from battles, help you win battles, and break up your opponents plays. Incredibly versatile, run 1 - 2.

300px-CreatureSwapSDDL-EN-C-1E.jpg

Creature Swap also benefits from the floaters the deck runs. Summon a relatively weak gadget monster, it replaces itself, then creature swap to take your opponent's stronger monster. In this metagame we are seeing the advent of boss monsters so creature swap can potentially punish opponents who play their boss monsters without a decent setup or if they don't have the game. It also has a decent combo with Tengu. Run 1 - 2 copies.

MindControlSDWS-EN-C-1E.jpg

Mind Control in this deck truly benefits from the Xyz monsters and the tuners this deck runs. Run 0 - 1

Example Decklist for Offering Gadgets:

6 Gadgets

3 Tengu

3 Tour Guide

1 Sangan

2 Breaker

2 Effect Veiler

1 Glow-Up Bulb

1 Birdman

2 Enemy Controller

2 Creature Swap

2 Pot of Duality

1 Pot of Avarice

1 Heavy Storm

1 Dark Hole

1 Monster Reborn

2 MST

1 Mind Control

3 Ultimate Offering

1 Mirror Force

1 Torrential Tribute

1 Solemn Judgement

2 Solemn Warning

1 Mind Crush

1 Trap Dustshoot

Extra Deck Options

For Offering builds your extra deck is reflective of your main deck but there's still a basic skeleton:

1 - 2 Utopia

1 - 2 Steelswarm Roach

1 Stardust

1 Trishula

1 Leviar the Sea Dragon

1 Levianth Dragon

1 Trishula

1 Black Rose Dragon

1 TG Hyper Liberian

0 - 1 Naturia Beast

1 Catastor

Other cards can be ran depending on your main:

x1 Terror Byte (if playing Poke Dra)

x1 Arcanite Magician (if playing breaker)

x1 Exploder Wing Dragon (if Debris Dragon and Poke Dra are played)

Good job on the post. Very solid. I liked the colors for the gadgets those were neat.

Maybe mention Monarchs under the "other monster options" section? Caius can be an out to Kristya when you want to make that push

Maybe mention Monarchs under the "other monster options" section? Caius can be an out to Kristya when you want to make that push

Now you actually have me considering the card. I'dd add it for sure.

I personally stil prefer 9 Gadgets and no Tour Guide in Offering.

Build that I'm testing for the new format:

3 Green Gadget

3 Red Gadget

3 Yellow Gadget

3 Deep-Sea Diva

2 Caius the Shadow Monarch

1 Effect Veiler

1 Lost Blue Breaker

3 Pot of Duality

3 Mystical Space Typhoon

2 Creature Swap

1 Dark Hole

1 Heavy Storm

1 Monster Reborn

1 Pot of Avarice

3 Ultimate Offering

2 Solemn Warning

2 Dark Bribe

1 Mirror Force

1 Solemn Judgment

1 Starlight Road

1 Torrential Tribute

1 Trap Dustshoot

I honestly hate Dark Bribe but I feel like I need it until people stop maining 3 MST's.

Really enjoyed the T.G. Gadget build last format too, so I'll probably try to make that build playable for new format as well.

I personally stil prefer 9 Gadgets and no Tour Guide in Offering.

Build that I'm testing for the new format:

3 Green Gadget

3 Red Gadget

3 Yellow Gadget

3 Deep-Sea Diva

1 Effect Veiler

1 Lost Blue Breaker

3 Pot of Duality

3 Mystical Space Typhoon

2 Creature Swap

1 Dark Hole

1 Heavy Storm

1 Monster Reborn

1 Pot of Avarice

3 Ultimate Offering

2 Solemn Warning

2 Dark Bribe

1 Mirror Force

1 Solemn Judgment

1 Starlight Road

1 Torrential Tribute

1 Trap Dustshoot

I honestly hate Dark Bribe but I feel like I need it until people stop maining 3 MST's.

Really enjoyed the T.G. Gadget build last format too, so I'll probably try to make that build playable for new format as well.

It's mentioned in the original post there's a number of ways one can approach building the deck. As long as your strategy is competitively viable and has been performing well for you feel free to have different deck that the one I posted.

Atm, this is what I'm working with:

6 Gadgets

2 Breaker the Magical Warrior

2 Effect Veiler

2 Gravekeeper's Spy

1 Cyber Dragon

1 D.D. Warrior Lady

1 Gorz

3 Duality

3 Mystical Space Typhoon

2 Enemy Controller

2 Smashing Ground

1 Heavy

1 Hole

1 Reborn

1 Book

1 Avarice

2 Mind Crush

1 Bottomless

1 Warning

1 Judgement

1 Mirror

1 Torrential

1 Dustshoot

It's more of a "classical" Gadget build. Based around pure advantage. I don't like how the current norm of UO Gadgets play out and such, so I made this.

It's been fairly good so far.

Spy is amazing for Xyz plays and such (I made a post in the old topc regarding this)*. But lately, I've been getting really awkward hands with it, drawing into both copies which is now making me reconsider it and drop both for another Warrior Lady (which I feel is decent right now, especially if people start playing Road. It would be amazing if Tour Guide didn't exist) and Creature Swap.

Seems amazing imo: helps with instant Xyz summonings, combos perfectly with E-Con and Mind Control (also Swap if you run it), allows instant access to Trish w/ Veiler and/or Glow-Up, curbs game pushes as well as Tengu (it forces them to play HotFB to get over it) and baits out the opponent's removal at worst.

Also, as gimmicky as this may be, it allows you to tech Super Poly to screw opposing Wonder Magicians/Librarians/Arcanites for Supreme Arcanite.

Lastly, in the future, it allows a quick and easy way to summon:

VylonDisigmaDT12-JP-DScPR-DT.jpg

Vylon Disigma

3 Level 4 monsters

Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to select 1 face-up Attack Position Effect Monster your opponent controls, and equip it to this card as an Equip Card. When this card battles a monster that has the same Attribute as a monster equipped to this card by this card's effect, destroy that monster at the start of the Damage Step (without applying damage calculation).

Which literally fucks with Tengu and opposing Xyz's as well as many other things, in addition to clearing the field of problem monsters.

I personally think Ultimate Offering is very rewarding card to avoid playing. Ultimate Offering gives the deck some much needed muscle by giving you power plays.

I think Vylon Disigma is made even better when you play Ultimate Offering because it gives you the ability to summon it at will.

Lets not also forget about No 16: Ruler of Color - Shock Ruler who will probably have more of an impact than Vylon Disigma would and Gadgets can easily make the most of it due to how easy it is to bring it out with the assist of Ultimate Offering. The more Xyz monsters that get release the better the deck will continue to get. I think Ultimate Offering is the best way to take advantage of the Gadgets game 1.

I've played a few games against Twilight and I managed to win a bunch of them with the build posted in the OP. Creature Swap had been doing great I was able to outright steal games from my opponent by stealing Chaos Sorcerers and the like. The only times I lost is when I got outright sacked but that may say more about the deck I was playing. I think can definitely go the distance in this metagame but I should test a few more matchups.

Any ideas for cards worth side decking? Atm, I'm kinda stuck on ideas for my side deck; I'm 3 cards short of 15.

2 Kycoo

2 D.D. Crow

2 Banisher

1 Fossil Dyna (I am only able to get 1 atm from a friend)

1 Seven Tools (mirror, GB, BW ,etc.)

1 Mind Crush (recently swapped a copy in the main for 2nd BTH)

1 Crevice to the D.D. (I just like this card; it might not be as fast as Crow but it's slightly more damaging especially if they MST'd it or w/e. Not married to this card or anything)

1 Mind Control

1 Smashing Ground

I will eventually put up an entire section on side decking in the OP but I think it's too early to decide on what will become side deck staples. However if things continue to go the way they are then you may find yourself siding heavily for the Lightsworn/Twilight and Agent match ups.

Fossil Dyna is just good against everything

Dimensional Fissure helps in the Lightsworn/Twightlight matchup and the Zombie match up. Also good versus Darkworlds

Debunks is helps against a bunch of effects like herald, veiler, tengu, sangan etc

Banisher cause its a monster D Fissure

I have a feeling (at least until Rabbit and the DW Structure drop) we will see a lot of LS/Twilight and Agents and such. Which are pretty much Gadget's worst match ups. That's what I plan on siding heavily against as you can tell.

I was thinking about a pair or so of D-Prisons in the side, but idk. Seems a little too slow right now and every deck seems to be having a high volume of S/T hate now. I would only expect it to go off maybe once in a while, but not really often enough. Depends on how the format turns out.

My current side:

2 Ally of Justice Core Destroyer (may be switched out with Salvo/Quarantine/Cycle Reader)

2 Cyber Dragon

3 Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer

1 Nobleman of Crossout

2 Smashing Ground

2 Dimensional Prison (may move to the main deck depending how the format shapes up)

2 Mind Crush

1 The Transmigration Prophecy (may drop this and move my third MST to the side, depending how the format shapes up).

Also, has anyone been playing with Machina Gadgets for the new format format or has everyone switched to Offering?

I've been playing with both and while I enjoy both decks, I feel like Machina may prove just a bit more effective than Stun/Offering if people keep 3 MST's in their main-deck, just because the deck doesn't need to rely on the backrow as much with before it makes a push (or during the push, in the case of Offering builds).

For people who have been running Offering Gadgets, how have 3 MST and Heavy Storm been affecting the deck? Does the Offering combo get disrupted more now? If so, what changes have you made to help with that? I was working on Gadgets before the new list was revealed but with the MST and Heavy changes I dropped it for now.

For people who have been running Offering Gadgets, how have 3 MST and Heavy Storm been affecting the deck? Does the Offering combo get disrupted more now? If so, what changes have you made to help with that? I was working on Gadgets before the new list was revealed but with the MST and Heavy changes I dropped it for now.

I'm maining Bribes, unfortunately =/

Hopefully the first YCS of the format is Lightsworn/Agent/Xyzombie-heavy, and people drop MST to 1-2 anticipating low-trap-count decks. Then the deck has a safer game 1 and only has to fear triple MST games 2/3, which are generally much easier and less reliant on Offering anyway since you side into anti-meta/Stun stuff (Kycoos, Banishers, Prisons/Smashings depending on the matchup).

Best version of Gadgets in my opinion:

3 Green Gadget

3 Red Gadget

3 Yellow Gadget

3 Effect Veiler

3 Reborn Tengu

1 Glow-Up Bulb

3 MST

3 POD

2 Smashing

1 BOM

1 Heavy Storm

1 Dark Hole

1 Monster Reborn

3 Ultimate Offering

2 Solemn Warning

2 Dimensional Prison

1 Trap Dustshoot

1 Solemn Judgment

1 Starlight Road

1 Mirror Force

1 Torrential Tribute

I am maining 1 SLR. I personally will never use Dark Bribe unless I am running more than one type of continuous card that I need on the field to win. The thing about Offering Gadgets is that it has the potential to play both beat down and synchro/xyz spam. I find that I often have multiple win conditions in every game. Offering is only one of them. I usually get off one of those combos per game unless my opponent opens something ridiculous like double mst and veiler.

Offering Gadgets loses to the side deck mostly. Main deck game match up usually goes to your favor, but then after siding cydras and tkros your opponent will run you down...

I mean, it's only a problem if the MST is set and is there to disrupt the play and that would have probably happened more often last format the way I see it. Additionally you should have multiple win conditions loaded into the deck; I won a lot of games with out seeing UO and I run a transitional side so I take them out usually game 2.

Gadgets went undefeated in testing for me after four days on DN/irl against my friend. New Format

Monsters: 18

3 Thunder King Rai-oh

3 Doomcaliber Knight

3 Effect Veiler

2 Green Gadgetd

2 Red Gadget

2 Yellow Gadget

2 Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer

1 Gorz, the Emissary of Darkness

Spells: 16

3 Smashing Ground

3 Mystical Space Typhoon

3 Shrink

2 Creature Swap

1 Pot of Duality

1 Heavy Storm

1 Dark Hole

1 Book of Moon

1 Monster Reborn

Traps: 8

2 Starlight Road

2 Solemn Warning

2 Mind Crush

1 Trap Dustshoot

1 Solemn Judgment

3 Veiler and 3 Doomcaliber means I can see some effect negation 1 in every 7 cards, just like a gadget 1-7. This is why I like 42 cards in gadgets as well. Starlight road has yet to be dead and almost always goes off. Creature swap has made some people scoop, lol. Shrink is still iffy, but I like it. It has good energy with kycoo, and it can be used against stardust. Kycoo has tested very well in this deck. It's a level 4, and this 1800 beater always helps me remove frogs, malis, goblin, sangan, etc.

Gadgets went undefeated in testing for me after four days on DN/irl against my friend. New Format

3 Thunder King Rai-oh

3 Doomcaliber Knight

3 Effect Veiler

2 Green Gadgetd

2 Red Gadget

2 Yellow Gadget

3 Smashing Ground

3 Mystical Space Typhoon

3 Shrink

2 Creature Swap

1 Pot of Duality

1 Heavy Storm

1 Dark Hole

1 Book of Moon

1 Monster Reborn

2 Starlight Road

2 Solemn Warning

2 Mind Crush

1 Trap Dustshoot

1 Solemn Judgment

3 Veiler and 3 Doomcaliber means I can see some effect negation 1 in every 7 cards, just like a gadget 1-7. This is why I like 42 cards in gadgets as well. Starlight road has yet to be dead and almost always goes off. Creature swap has made some people scoop, lol. Shrink is still iffy, but I like it. It has good energy with kycoo, and it can be used against stardust. Kycoo has tested very well in this deck. It's a level 4, and this 1800 beater always helps me remove frogs, malis, goblin, sangan, etc.

Unfortunately, TKR makes no sense here. It blocks your gadget searches and clogs your hand. TKR is no longer decent this format considering the massive number of TGU. POD at 1 also doesn't make sense. You don't really Special Summon so POD should be a staple at 3. Take out 2 TKR and add 2 POD. Since your monsters search themselves, I see no reason TKR is necessary in your deck at all. If anything, run a maxx "c" or two and your opponents will be hurting. btw, don't think your opponents won't have multiple veilers/crows/maxx c's to discard and kill your dck easily.

How would rai-oh stop the gadgets? he just let's them waste resources trying to get raioh off the board then he summons the gadget.

How would rai-oh stop the gadgets? he just let's them waste resources trying to get raioh off the board then he summons the gadget.

Too bad they don't really have to waste any resources to get Rai-Oh the board. The card is weak this metagame.

Too bad they don't really have to waste any resources to get Rai-Oh the board. The card is weak this metagame.

Lol that's funny that you're already assuming/defining what the metagame will be, and it's not even sept yet. TKR does work... it stops sangan searches and agents alike. There's no need to summon a gadget with TKR on the field. This is simply because thunder king alone with some backrow can win games.

TKR and dustshoot first turn, destroys the opponent, gets rid of problem monsters, stop them PoDing or any other searches, though double tour guide ruins it. TKR is still a good card, applies pressure and will shut off cards in op deck, just a shame tour guide hurts it without back up.

Also gladsandweeds what about bls in main?

Lol that's funny that you're already assuming/defining what the metagame will be, and it's not even sept yet. TKR does work... it stops sangan searches and agents alike. There's no need to summon a gadget with TKR on the field. This is simply because thunder king alone with some backrow can win games.

If you can't proactively predict the trends in the metagame you won't be competitive. If you can't see how popular Tour Guide is gonna be then you're being stubborn.

3 Thunder King Rai-oh

3 Doomcaliber Knight

3 Effect Veiler

2 Green Gadgetd

2 Red Gadget

2 Yellow Gadget

3 Smashing Ground

3 Mystical Space Typhoon

3 Shrink

2 Creature Swap

1 Pot of Duality

1 Heavy Storm

1 Dark Hole

1 Book of Moon

1 Monster Reborn

2 Starlight Road

2 Solemn Warning

2 Mind Crush

1 Trap Dustshoot

1 Solemn Judgment

Why are you running 1 Duality here (especially since this is an anti-meta build)?

Why are you running 1 Duality in a 42 card build?

Idgi. It's what gives the deck consistency in this day and age and it's never dead unless you draw multiples and even then it's not completely dead.