Aperture

Scrap - Discussion

160 posts in this topic

Scrap Deck Discussion

Scraps were an archetype released in DREV and has continued to receive support as recently as EXVC. Scraps focus on destroying themselves and triggering their effects to slowly gain advantage through your opponent . Scraps were competitive upon release, but then fell off the map for several months until they re-emerged in the Top 16 at YCS Orlando last format. Scraps look to have a promising future this format with Heavy Storm coming off the Forbidden List.

304px-ScrapBeastDREV-EN-R-1E.jpg

The level 4 Tuner of the deck and the prime target for Scrap Chimera with a recycling effect to boot to add Scrap Chimera back to your hand via his own effect, Scrapstorm, Scrap Dragon etc. Running 3 Beast's is standard to maximize the use of Chimera and Scrapstorm.

300px-ScrapGoblinDREV-EN-C-1E.jpg

The level 3 Tuner of the deck. He cannot be destroyed by battle which can be extremely helpful to hold off on your opponent's pushes. Like Scrap Beast if he's selected as an attack target while in face-up defense he can allow you to add Chimera back to your hand.

300px-ScrapChimeraDREV-EN-C-1E.jpg

The best monster in the main deck. One card Scrap Dragon or Scrap Archfiend and now with the release of Xyz monsters you also have the option of going into Steelswarm Roach. No reason to run less than 3 in any build of the deck.

303px-ScrapGolemDREV-EN-R-1E.jpg

A very good recursion effect and a prime target to revive when Scrap Dragon has been destroyed as well as a solid card to send with Scrapstorm. Summoning him can give instant access to Scrap Dragon or even Scrap Twin. Essentially a themed Faultroll for Scraps and if he's left up can continuously generate plusses.

300px-ScrapOrthrosEXVC-EN-ScR-1E.jpg

Another level 4 Tuner in the deck, usually only 1 is used. His effect to destroy a monster can be used on himself or another Scrap Tuner to add Scrap Chimera back to your hand which will allow you to continuously summon Scrap Dragon's and apply pressure to your opponent.

300px-RebornTenguEXVC-EN-UR-LE.jpg

One of the best splash able cards in the game. Allows you to easily go into Scrap Dragon with Beast and then get another Tengu on the field for Scrap Dragon fodder. Also works great with Xyz because when removing him as an Xyz material he will replace himself again.

300px-ScrapDragonDREV-EN-UR-1E.png

Essentially the boss card of the deck. His one for one effect may not seem like much at first, but with combo him with the Scrap monster effects and the plusses with come rolling in. Also with the unbanning of Heavy Storm it makes his effect even more powerful as players will not be able to spam back rows as often allowing Scrap Dragon plays to break your opponent's board. With a revival effect to replace himself when he's destroyed with another Scrap Tuner or ideally Scrap Golem it can start a mini-loop for Scrap Dragon's that can be a nightmare for an opponent to stop. 3 is a must in the extra deck.

300px-ScrapTwinDragonSTBL-EN-UR-1E.png

The level 9 Synchro of the deck. Great for clearing opposing synchro's and Xyz of the board or making game pushes. Also note that he only requires two monsters so Golem into Scrap Beast gives you a 3000 ATK who can clear boards with a revival effect. Usually only one is used the extra deck.

300px-ScrapArchfiendDREV-EN-SR-1E.png

The level 7 synchro of the deck with 2700 ATK it can be a force to deal with and a viable option when you need to use Chimera to bring up Goblin when you don't have a Scrap Dragon play.

303px-SteelswarmRoachGENF-EN-ScR-1E.png

A one card Steelswarm Roach with Scrap Chimera? Sounds good. Arguably one of the best Xyz monsters out making him when you already have a Scrap Dragon out can secure the game.

300px-Number39UtopiaYS11-EN-UR-1E.jpg

Another very good Xyz that can be made in one card with Scrap Chimera. His 2500 atk makes him able to match or get over many of the monsters in the game and his effect to negate attacks of bigger monsters works very well with Scrap Dragon as you can negate the attack of their bigger monster and pop it with Dragon next turn.

Other Monsters worth considering:

Summoner Monk

Meklord Emperor Granel

Meklord Emperor Wisel

Gravekeeper's Spy

Effect Veiler

Scrap Searcher

Cyber Dragon

300px-ScrapstormDREV-EN-SR-1E.jpg

The best set-up card in the deck. Opening Scrapstorm and Scrap Beast then subsequently dumping Scrap Chimera with Scrapstorm's effect gives you a Scrap Dragon play next turn. Also great for dumping Golem if the situation calls for it. The fact that it's a quickplay spell makes it chainable to any destruction such as Mystical Space Typhoon or Heavy Storm or any monster destruction on your Scraps such Bottomless, Dimensional Prison, Dark Hole etc. The card is flat out ridiculous at setting up plays and even sometimes net you advantage 3 should almost always be used.

300px-ScrapyardDREV-EN-SR-1E.png

Great toolbox card to add Goblin, Orthros, or Beast to hand. The card really speaks for itself. How many run generally varies from build to build some players prefer 3 while others may not even run the card.

300px-PotofDualityCT08-EN-SR-LE.jpg

Just an amazing card in pretty much every deck so why shouldn't Scraps run it? 2-3 per deck is pretty standard.

Other Spells worth considering:

Mind Control (Basically a staple)

Scapegoat

Pot of Avarice

Foolish Burial

Generic staple cards i.e. Heavy Storm, Mystical Space Typhoon, Book of Moon etc.

300px-CalloftheHauntedRP02-EN-C-UE.jpg

Scraps may have been one of the decks that benefited most by Call going two. Constantly reviving Scrap Dragon's and Golem's is good enough, but the deck finds uses for the card long after its use. While most other decks consider an unattached Call a liability (whether the monster was tributed, synchro'd, Xyz'd etc.) Scraps take advantage by using the dead card as prime Scrap Dragon fodder allowing you to gain even more plusses through the Dragon. I believe 2 will be Staple in Scraps.

300px-HornofthePhantomBeastDREV-EN-R-1E.jpg

A very powerful card last format, it's unknown how it will fare this format with Heavy Storm back. Definitely worth a look with Beast, Chimera, and Tengu all excellent targets for it.

300px-FiendishChainABPF-EN-SR-1E.jpg

Act's as an Effect Veiler and an attack stopper and if the monster isn't destroyed it sits around on the field as another ideal Scrap Dragon target. Another card that was immensely popular last format, it's still unknown how Storm being back will affect Chain's playability.

Other Traps worth considering:

Mind Crush

Starlight Road- If the build is dedicated to using cards like Horn and Chain.

Dark Coffin

Generic staple traps i.e. Solemn Warning, Solemn Judgment, Trap Dustshoot etc.

The deck was proven still competitive by Evan Vargas' strong showing at the 2011 North American WCQ which also showed you don't need a fully dedicated build that just the essentials of the engine. The deck may have issues finding an efficient way to deal with turn one Tour Guide's and trouble keeping up with faster decks such as Twilight. Overall I feel the deck has the tools to be competitive on the tournament scene.

I absolutely love Wisel in Scraps. Just dropping one after a Scrap Dragon effect makes me wanna. :wub:

You should probably add a little bit about Utopia, seeing as it is just as important as Roach.

What I'm going to test in this new format

-chains

+trag

+dustshoot

+mindcrush (maybe)

I feel like trag is a strong set up in this new format. Being able to set storm summon beast then set up a 3k trag play without having to minus seems really good, and even better in a triple mst/storm format. obv horn gets worse too because it forces you to play it later but that removes horn's power, not to mention the dreaded 1 card leviathan totally destroys it.

ofc deck has huge problems vs lightsworn and most importantly BLS given the deck has no real outs to JD or BLS in the real format apart from summoning scrap dragon and scrapping away a card which is why i think roach is a must in the extra deck.

on the other hand cards like raioh loses a lot of power now that we don't have triple chain to protect it not to mention tgu shits all over it if they retain the sangan rulings. im starting to like breaker because of this on the other hand, and if push comes to shove it could be the 2 darks scraps run for BLS

also ironic is that the whole deck was made from DREV, and everything else that came after was either simply borderline playable or completely shit

I have been running a version of the deck and spirit reapers are really cool in this deck this format. Lures out a few veilers when it attacks. Also setting it to live a turn, then summoning a scrap dragon to clear the field then get a good hit with this is so good. Also it is a dark for bls.

and thunder king is good again since the ruling got reversed.

You should probably add a little bit about Utopia, seeing as it is just as important as Roach.

Ok I'll add him in there.

Yeah I made the deck today

2x Trag, breaker (s), gorz as the darks

2x veiler, 3x TKRO as the lights

1 BLS

It might be too greedy but its a BLS for fuck sake

This deck right now with main decked Thunder Kings. :wub:

Anyone got a list willing to share?

I'm debating whether to keep in the horns and chains...

I wouldn't run Horn and maybe 1-2 Chain's if you have room.

do yous not like summoner monk? 1st turn scrap dragon.

With so many veilers running around definitely not...

and just because of the new xyz rulings veilers will still be at least mained in two.

Why don't people want to run Horn? Just activate it during damage step so they can't mst it. You still can easily get +1's with this card!

300px-BlastwithChainSD5-EN-C-1E.jpg

This seems like it has a lot of potential this upcoming format, as a replacement over Horn.

A 2400 ATK Roach that is no longer vulnerable to Card Trooper, Jain, etc. is something to be feared.

The ATK boost (let Scraps, take down boosted GKs, boosted Venus, 1900s, etc.) in tandem with the fact that you take advantage of MST/Heavy, plus having a card to pop with the Dragons (and generate advantage off it), makes it all around solid.

Why don't people want to run Horn? Just activate it during damage step so they can't mst it. You still can easily get +1's with this card!

the problem with horn is that with heavy back, you can't summon beast and set horn+2 backrow.

if you set 3 backrow with horn you're going to lose if you get stormed.

if you simply set 1 horn and summon beast, they can space the horn and attack the beast leaving you down a card.

3 Scrap Beast

3 Scrap Chimera

3 Reborn Tengu

3 Thunder King Rai-Oh

2 Effect Veiler

3 Pot of Duality

3 Scrapstorm

2 Scrapyard

2 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Monster Reborn

1 Book of Moon

1 Mind Control

1 Heavy Storm

1 Dark Hole

3 Horn of the Phantom Beast

2 Call of the Haunted

2 Solemn Warning

2 Starlight Road

1 Solemn Judgment

1 Torrential Tribute

1 Fiendish Chain

1 Mirror Force

13 traps

you're crazy!

i don't see why people are scared of running traps. most of the time, i set 1-2 and play conservative with them, if they mst i dont get too hurt considering i have more plays next turn. if i set more than 2, i probably have road. if they blind mst, then gl i guess the road, then thats pretty damn lucky and especially if they have storm to follow. also, storm is one card, the odds of them having that one card isn't too high, so if they have a few backrow set already, im guessing they dont have storm in hand just yet, or i have some time to put my backrows into use because they wont wanna neg themselves. i also maindeck triple rai-oh so getting heavy'd is less threatening when i have rai-oh on field to weaken their big push. honestly, heavy isn't a good enough reason not to play a good amount of traps, when i still win most of my games because of the control i get off of setting backrows. and a lot of times, i will duality into a road first turn, and not get the road, and set 2. at that point, they most likely wont heavy because 1. its too early to use a heavy unless they have game or something and 2. why risk it when they know i run roads.

13 traps

you're crazy!

i don't see why people are scared of running traps. most of the time, i set 1-2 and play conservative with them, if they mst i dont get too hurt considering i have more plays next turn. if i set more than 2, i probably have road. if they blind mst, then gl i guess the road, then thats pretty damn lucky and especially if they have storm to follow. also, storm is one card, the odds of them having that one card isn't too high, so if they have a few backrow set already, im guessing they dont have storm in hand just yet, or i have some time to put my backrows into use because they wont wanna neg themselves. i also maindeck triple rai-oh so getting heavy'd is less threatening when i have rai-oh on field to weaken their big push. honestly, heavy isn't a good enough reason not to play a good amount of traps, when i still win most of my games because of the control i get off of setting backrows. and a lot of times, i will duality into a road first turn, and not get the road, and set 2. at that point, they most likely wont heavy because 1. its too early to use a heavy unless they have game or something and 2. why risk it when they know i run roads.

I disagree. Pos repped by accident, but wtv.

Of the 13 Traps you play, none of them are considered chainable. Even COTH, which in other decks can be chained to Sangan/TGs, is solely used offensively here, chaining to TKR to stop Sangan/TG searches or Scrap Beast/Dragon plays.

It's not the fact that if you space out your traps and play conservative with them, you don't get hurt. You still do. By playing a larger Trap count and setting less, you aren't playing optimally (because you are unable to set them at once and make FULL use of the options you have available to you at any given time.).

You aren't able to consolidate the field (you have fewer cards that allow you to do that, because you run too many Traps at the expense of higher utility cards) and their MST still clears a valuable Trap if it goes unused. By playing a larger Trap count and playing them "conservatively", you are playing cards that have less utility/value at any given time. You are implicitly letting the opponent dictate the tempo because they have more live cards available at their disposal.

Your example of setting 1-2 isn't what I'd call "playing conservatively", it is playing sub-optimally with low-utility cards. "Protect the Deko" was an instance of what I'd call good conservative play, where slow-rolling the tempo (as opposed to setting/playing/resolving multiple cards and simplifying the gamestate) is actually in your favor.

Compare that to a lineup of chainables. Because you play < 5-6 Traps, people who run 3 MST and Heavy could potentially have dead cards in hand. Moreover, COTHing Sangan, or flipping something like Hero Blast is far better in your favor in terms of cost-benefit than the implied threat of (unsearchable) Starlight Road. It gives you immediate tangible card advantage rather than running a situational that can be played around (especially if you draw it after their Heavy/Hole/etc.).

Road is good when you have a "Stun" or Anti-Meta setup that is actively hampering their plays, either with a Field Spell like Necrovalley or a Continuous Trap like Skill Drain. That negation + Stardust on top of that lockdown is what seals the game in your favor.That is not the case here.

Moreover, I don't think playing a large backrow in a "scenario-oriented deck" (Scrap Dragon on field, Veiler in hand, and Fiendish Chain set) is a good thing. Simplifying the gamestate to establish that scenario consistently is what wins games, not gimmicky Traps like double COTH in a deck that can't even Turn 1-2 Sangan/Trooper/TG/etc.

The point you make about TKR is a good one, and that reflects more of how good Raioh is, rather than the value of a larger Trap lineup.

And keep in mind, It's not just MST you have to worry about, there is also Lyla and Lost Blue Breaker. And with Monk and Diva, the tempo is even more tilted in their favor.

Six Sams with costless one for one backrow protection in Musakani and Fake Trap are only deck that can play big backrow this format and that should be abused...

13 traps

you're crazy!

I disagree. Pos repped by accident, but wtv.

Of the 13 Traps you play, none of them are considered chainable. Even COTH, which in other decks can be chained to Sangan/TGs, is solely used offensively here, chaining to TKR to stop Sangan/TG searches or Scrap Beast/Dragon plays.

It's not the fact that if you space out your traps and play conservative with them, you don't get hurt. You still do. By playing a larger Trap count and setting less, you aren't playing optimally (because you are unable to set them at once and make FULL use of the options you have available to you at any given time.).

You aren't able to consolidate the field (you have fewer cards that allow you to do that, because you run too many Traps at the expense of higher utility cards) and their MST still clears a valuable Trap if it goes unused. By playing a larger Trap count and playing them "conservatively", you are playing cards that have less utility/value at any given time. You are implicitly letting the opponent dictate the tempo because they have more live cards available at their disposal.

Your example of setting 1-2 isn't what I'd call "playing conservatively", it is playing sub-optimally with low-utility cards. "Protect the Deko" was an instance of what I'd call good conservative play, where slow-rolling the tempo (as opposed to setting/playing/resolving multiple cards and simplifying the gamestate) is actually in your favor.

Compare that to a lineup of chainables. Because you play < 5-6 Traps, people who run 3 MST and Heavy could potentially have dead cards in hand. Moreover, COTHing Sangan, or flipping something like Hero Blast is far better in your favor in terms of cost-benefit than the implied threat of (unsearchable) Starlight Road. It gives you immediate tangible card advantage rather than running a situational that can be played around (especially if you draw it after their Heavy/Hole/etc.).

Road is good when you have a "Stun" or Anti-Meta setup that is actively hampering their plays, either with a Field Spell like Necrovalley or a Continuous Trap like Skill Drain. That negation + Stardust on top of that lockdown is what seals the game in your favor.That is not the case here.

Moreover, I don't think playing a large backrow in a "scenario-oriented deck" (Scrap Dragon on field, Veiler in hand, and Fiendish Chain set) is a good thing. Simplifying the gamestate to establish that scenario consistently is what wins games, not gimmicky Traps like double COTH in a deck that can't even Turn 1-2 Sangan/Trooper/TG/etc.

The point you make about TKR is a good one, and that reflects more of how good Raioh is, rather than the value of a larger Trap lineup.

And keep in mind, It's not just MST you have to worry about, there is also Lyla and Lost Blue Breaker. And with Monk and Diva, the tempo is even more tilted in their favor.

Six Sams with costless one for one backrow protection in Musakani and Fake Trap are only deck that can play big backrow this format and that should be abused...

Very valid points, I know where you're coming from from all of it, but I feel through testing that the format has slowed down due to the new ruling to where MST hitting one backrow isnt followed by an otk or game push. Yes, nothing is chainable in my build and getting mst'd is never a viable option, but it's not the end of the world and doesn't give the game a huge turn around considering the deck is known to gain back advantage. i feel like the traps i run are too crucial to drop and give much more positive effect than negative

What do you guys think about playing Bls in this deck? You would obv have to add darks and lights to make it live lilke spy, guard, tkr, monk, etc.

3 TKRO, 2 Veiler can be the light monsters. 2 Summoner monk and Gorz will be the dark monsters :))

Just a thought for the bls build.

3 TKRO, 2 Veiler can be the light monsters. 2 Summoner monk and Gorz will be the dark monsters :))

Just a thought for the bls build.

I don't like monk this format... to many veilers/orange lights

The build I had for a BLS build looked like this monster wise

3x Scrap Chimera

3x Scrap Beast

3x Reborn Tengu

3x Effect Veiler

3x Thunder King

1x Gorz

2x Trag

1x BLS

1x Maxx "C" (was also trying out Zephyros).

That build needs to many monster tho I like playing this deck with heavy traps and I feel like 14 spells are staple

So far Monk is testing out to be really good this format.

3 Chimera

3 Beast

3 Tengu

3 Rai-Oh

2 Monk

3 Scrapyard

has been testing well so far. Everything ties together so well.