Sign in to follow this  
River of Tears

Looking for Advice from American Car Junkies

I've always wanted to learn about cars and now I have the opportunity to do so and have become inspired to purchase a classic car, Cobras and GT40's notwithstanding. I have taken a look at some lists and checked on craigslist a bit but I always find a good amount of advice through topics here so I figured I would start one. What cars should I be looking at, why, and what are the best places other than craigslist and those car ad 'magazines', or are those the best?

+rei+    34640

go import. ; )

• Upvote 3

+rei+    34640

lol, but seriously you want a POS with rear wheel drive if you can, just to throw around and get used to but not care about

Model    864

get an import

+rei+    34640

what EXACTLY do you drive.

I understand the desire for an old classic car, but

A: We need to know your driving skills are on board for that

B: We need to know your maintenance skills are on board for that

C: We want to know what aspect of the experience (I get aesthetics, if thats your answer, cool) makes you prefer old americans to old germans or old japanese.

what EXACTLY do you drive.

I understand the desire for an old classic car, but

A: We need to know your driving skills are on board for that

B: We need to know your maintenance skills are on board for that

C: We want to know what aspect of the experience (I get aesthetics, if thats your answer, cool) makes you prefer old americans to old germans or old japanese.

I drive a 2006 Saturn Vue.

I wouldn't worry about driving skills. I am about to have a friend of my dad's teach me the in's and out's a car, so my maintenance skills will improve. I don't prefer old American cars to German or Japanese, I simply did not think of foreign cars when I made this topic.

+rei+    34640

The problem with domestic cars, especially cars that old, is substantial reliability issues and a scaricity of parts - Japanese parts are basically flooding the market so you'll always be set. The trouble is finding a car with desirable characteristics. Here's a list of cars that have been around long enough to exist reasonably on the used market - like, I w ont be listing an RX-8 because it's not feasable for you to find a used one that's affordable. All options are RWD or AWD because that's just way more fun / beneficial for serious driving. All cars I'd reccomend making sure you get a car with manual transmission. I'll discuss why (and how to drive stick, and how to test a used car for a fucked clutch) if you want me to

Your options are:

Anything made by subaru, especially if it says "WRX" or "STI" or a combination thereof

Mazda RX-7 (lol good luck; also have fun with gas and oil)

Mazda MX-5 / Miata (Ignoring how people rag on how it looks, this is one of the most fun driving cars on earth, with pretty fucking amazing handling, and great weight distrobution. It's really the perfect car to become a good driver with)

Toyota Supra (good fucking luck)

BMW 3 Series or M3 (probably heavier than you'd like, but still a solid vehicle with good handling) - actually any BMW is fine but you want the driving characteristics of the 3-Series

Nissan 300ZX

Nissan 240SX

Toyota Corolla RWD Sport released between 1983 and 1987 (also known as an AE86 - they're fucking impossible to find largely due to the fact Initial D happened and t he fact they're cheap and they work damn well)

Toyota Celica (Make sure it's a model with 4WD which limits you from 1989 to 1997... and even some of those are FWD which just means you're getting an older Scion tC)

Hyundai Genesis Coupe (By far the newest car on my list, if you're financing or whatever though it's certianly doable, maintenance is cheap as SHIT, its RWD, and both the 2.0T and the V6 are decent engines - Hyundai is Korean, not Japanese, fyi)

If you want to stick American desperately, it wouldn't kill you to drive a mustang - Approaching Darkness has one and has put a shit-ton of work into it. Theyre just heavy as balls

• Upvote 1

Model    864

+1 GSX 6 bolt

+rei+    34640

I dont know my mitsubishis at all but if its R/AWD go for that too

+rei+    34640

have mitsu made any RWD in the last two decades or so?

Model    864

Not that I care about if they have. Eclipse were FWD or AWD. Evo is AWD. 3000gt was 4wd

+rei+    34640

Eclipse FWD is like, hilariously dangerous in the wrong hands.

My point was, his selections vs budget may be slim, so if they had a RWD option it might merit at least consideration if there's nothing else available.

Anonymous    58
It seems almost everybody here has a problem with the old RWD cars. If you can find one, you can get a chrysler daytona or a lebaron GTS. another car that the tuner crowd quicky writes off that you can easily get, and still easily get parts for, is the ford probe. it's basically a mazda MX-6 with ford badging on it, but those bastards will go like a raped date and take corners like it's nothing. Not to mention, all of the above are all easy to work on and i know at least two of the three of those cars are very reliable(unknown about the daytona).
Another car I can reccommand you is the dodge stealth,which is basically a mitsubishi 3000GT with chrysler badging,plymouth laser or an eagle talon(eclipses with Chrysler and eagle badgings). those are just a few FWD cars that may be a little bit easier to find but essentially identical to what some of the cars rei is suggesting. If you live in an area like I do, where there's more ford,GM and Dodge dealers around that mitsubishi,Toyota,mazda,nissan,subaru, e.t.c...then that's a good piece of info to have. as a matter of fact, if I were you, it'd look up to see if any more of rei's suggestions have a NA twin production.

But, if you're still insistent on getting a north American classic(racing classic, or stylish classic?),Then the cars I would recommend to you, if you can find them, are
[u][b]Racing classics[/b][/u]
-Chev Monte carlo(Yes, it's a little heavier, but these will bite down and go,while the idiot beside you spins his wheels)
-Mustang
- second or third gen Dakota with the 360 magnum(if you have some mechanical knowhow,you can make these little trucks eat mustangs for lunch, as they are also approx 700 lbs lighter in curb weight than the non-foxbody ones. also, if you don't mind having a truck)

[u][b]stylish classic[/b][/u]
-Lincoln towncar
-Chevrolet Caprice(pre-90's)
-LTD crown victoria
-Chrysler 5th avenue/dodge diplomat
-caddy fleetwood

these are just cars I can recommend without going beyond 1980, because if you live in a state that uses salt,then finding anything beyond what I listed is going to be next-to-impossible.

Hawkeye    365
Just for reference, most, if not all 3k GTs are AWD.

If you're looking for pure horsepower, then I'd look into getting a Mitsu 3k GT VR4. Twin-turbo AWD is pretty fucking awesome imo, even if it is a 6 cylinder. However, if you have problems sitting lower to the ground than most cars, then I'd look for something else.