Sanjura

Laval - Discussion

171 posts in this topic

The Lavals are an archtype introduced in the DT series. They're composed of Fire-attribute monsters, and their strategy revolves around the Graveyard, dumping numerous Lavals to the grave and then exploding using Rekindling.

Cards commonly seen in Lavals:

[quote][img]http://images.wikia.com/yugioh/images/f/ff/LavalCannoneerDT11-JP-DRPR-DT.jpg[/img]
Laval Cannon
Warrior-Type
When this card is Normal or Flip Summoned: you can target 1 of your banished "Laval" monsters; Special Summon that target.[/quote]

Laval Cannon allows you to bring back your banished Lavals, which will typically be removed due to the likes of Tephra Kindling, Searing Fire Wall, and Gold Sarc. A typical play involving Cannon is to use the above cards to banish the Lavals, then bring one back with Cannon, then sync or XYZ.

[quote][img]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100428150838/yugioh/images/b/b0/LavalForestSpriteDT09-JP-DNPR-DT.jpg[/img]
Laval Forest Sprite
Pyro-Type Tuner
When this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: Until the End Phase, all face-up "Laval" monsters you control gain 200 ATK for each "Laval" monster in your Graveyard.[/quote]

A good lv2 tuner for the deck, another Rekindling target and can make your Lavals huge due to the amount of Lavals the deck can dump to the graveyard in a relatively short amount of time.

[quote][img]http://images.wikia.com/yugioh/images/7/72/LavalLancelordVE04-JP-UR.jpg[/img]
Laval Lancelord
Warrior-Type
You can Normal Summon this card without Tributing.
During End Phases, if you control this card that was Normal Summoned that way: send this card to the Graveyard.
When this card on the field is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: you can add 1 of your banished FIRE monsters to your hand.[/quote]

An interesting card this one is. It's a Firedog target, and if you crash Lancelord back you can add a banished Laval back. If you have Cannon and another monster in the Banished zone, you can then summoner Cannon next turn and proceed to sync/XYZ again.

[quote][img]http://images.wikia.com/yugioh/images/0/08/TenderoftheLavalVolcanoDT11-JP-DNPR-DT.jpg[/img]
Laval Volcano Maid
Pyro-Type Tuner
When this card is sent to the Graveyard while a "Laval" monster not named "Laval Volcano Maid" is in your Graveyard: you can send 1 "Laval" monster from your Deck to the Graveyard.[/quote]

And this is what gets the Lavals going. This is what allows you to dump multiple cards to the grave at the same time. Using Foolish Burial or Molten Convection allows you to dump a Volcano Maid, then her effect triggers allowing you to dump another Maid, and so on. This is a great deck-thinning card, and you can make Formula Synchron with it and Searing Fire Wall.

[quote][img]http://images.wikia.com/yugioh/images/a/a3/LavalLadyoftheBurningLakeDT12-JP-DNPR-DT.jpg[/img]
Laval Lakeshore Lady
Pyro-Type Tuner
If there are 3 or more different "Laval" monsters in your Graveyard: you can banish 1 "Laval" monster from your Graveyard and target 1 Set card your opponent controls; Destroy that target.[/quote]

Allows you to pick off set monsters and set S/Ts, clearing the way for a game-ending shot.

[quote][img]http://images.wikia.com/yugioh/images/3/3b/FlamvellFiredogANPR-EN-R-UE.png[/img][/quote]

A lot of the Lavals have 200 defense, which means Firedog can bring them out after running something over. A staple in this deck.

[quote][img]http://yugioh.neoseeker.com/w/i/yugioh/d/d5/RebornTengu.jpg[/img][/quote]

A great floater in general, and you'll be able to sync multiple times combining this card with Rekindling.

[quote][img]http://images.wikia.com/yugioh/images/1/17/SearingFireWallDT05-EN-DNPR-DT.jpg[/img][/quote]

Essentially the themed Scapegoat of the deck, this card allows you to banish Lavals of your choice to set up synchro plays with Cannon.

[quote][img]http://images.wikia.com/yugioh/images/4/45/RekindlingTU03-EN-SR-UE.png[/img][/quote]

The win condition of the deck. Dump whatever you want into the grave, then play this for the gg.

[quote][img]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111004202554/yugioh/images/thumb/c/c4/SwelteringHeatTransmissionFieldDT13-JP-DNPR-DT.jpg/315px-SwelteringHeatTransmissionFieldDT13-JP-DNPR-DT.jpg[/img]
Molten Convection (Atem's Editor's Note: "Sweltering Heat Transmission Field"? Someone needs to learn how heat "transmits". Hasn't anyone heard of a damn [i]convection oven[/i]?)
Send 2 "Laval" monsters from your Deck to the Graveyard.
[/quote]

Another great card for the deck. This is the deck's own Foolish Burial. Dump a Laval and a Maid, and then you will be able to dump two more Maids and another monster, thinning your deck out of five monsters for the price of one card.

[quote][img]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110427071456/yugioh/images/thumb/8/86/BlazingDustExplosionDT12-JP-DNRPR-DT.jpg/315px-BlazingDustExplosionDT12-JP-DNRPR-DT.jpg[/img]
Tephra Kindling
(Atem's Editor's Note: The name of this card is nearly identical to the name of Rekindling. Also, "Blazing Dust" makes no sense; you don't call the non-magmastuff what comes out of a volcano "blazing dust". It's tephra - which consists of volcanic blocks, bombs, lazulii, and ash.)
Banish all "Laval" monsters from your Graveyard; Destroy any number of cards on the field, up to the number of monsters banished to activate this card.[/quote]

With the amount of Lavals in the grave, this card can potentially wipe out your opponent's board and set up for Return plays.

[quote][img]http://images.wikia.com/yugioh/images/3/30/LavalStannonDT11-JP-DSPR-DT.jpg[/img]
Laval Stellaid
Pyro-Type Synchro
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner FIRE monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned: send 1 card from your hand to the Graveyard.
When this card is targeted by a card's effect: you can banish 1 "Laval" monster from your Graveyard; negate the activation of that card's effect, and destroy that card.[/quote]

This guy carries around a big body, sitting at 2700 atk. He's got protection from the likes of Caius, Hyperion, Grapha, D.Prison, etc, and he can use his effect multiple times. He can be quite annoying if left on the field too long.

[quote][img]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Yugioh-Laval-Greater-DT05-EN038-PR-BONUS-/00/$%28KGrHqIOKosE3FKKKyswBN8ggWjckw~~_35.JPG[/img]
Laval Greater
Warrior-Type Synchro
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner FIRE Monsters
When this card is Synchro Summoned: send 1 card from your hand to the Graveyard.
If this card would be destroyed by a card effect, you can banish 1 "Laval" monster from your Graveyard instead. [/quote]

Allows you to get rid of Lavals in your hand, and he can save himself from card destruction effects.

[quote][img]http://images.wikia.com/yugioh/images/e/ee/LavalTwinSlayerVE02-JP-DUPR-DT.jpg[/img]
Laval Twinslayer
Warrior-Type Synchro
This card gains effects based on the number of "Laval" monsters in your Graveyard.
● 2+: Once per turn, if this card destroys a Defense Position monster by battle: it can attack once again in a row.
● 3+: If this card attacks a Defense Position monster, inflict piercing Battle Damage to your opponent. [/quote]

This guy can potentially become huge thanks to Forest Sprite, and being able to swing twice can put some serious damage on the board.

[quote][img]http://images.wikia.com/yugioh/images/8/8f/LavalvalDragonDT09-JP-DScPR-DT.jpg[/img]
Lavalval Dragon
Dragon-Type Synchro
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner FIRE monsters.
You can return 2 "Laval" monsters from your Graveyard to your Deck and target 1 card your opponent controls; Return that target to its owner's hand. [/quote]

The Brionac of the deck; this keeps your Molten Convections live and clears problem cards for you.

[quote][img]http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110427063805/yugioh/images/thumb/2/26/LavalvalDragoonDT12-JP-DSPR-DT.jpg/300px-LavalvalDragoonDT12-JP-DSPR-DT.jpg[/img]
Lavalval Dragoon
Dragon-Type Synchro
Once per turn: you can add 1 "Laval" monster from your Deck to your hand, and after that, send 1 "Laval" monster from your hand to the Graveyard.[/quote]

Dragoon helps set up your combo pieces. Grab Cannon, dump a Laval, then next turn Cannon into a synchro or XYZ.

[quote][img]http://images.wikia.com/yugioh/images/8/8a/LavalvalChainDT13-JP-DScPR-DT.jpg[/img]
Lavalval Chain
Sea Serpent-Type Xyz
2 Level 4 Monsters
Once per turn: you can activate one of these effects.
● Detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; send 1 card from your Deck to the Graveyard.
● Detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; place 1 monster from your Deck on top of your Deck.[/quote]

One of the newer revealed cards from DT13, this card is a walking Foolish Burial. Detach a Laval, dump three Maids and a Laval, or stack a monster back on top of your deck.

This deck has OTK potential if it's allowed to resolve Rekindling due to the ability this deck has of clearing cards before going for the game-ending push. With its ability to thin the deck of several cards at once and its ability to put out numerous monsters on the board simutaneously, this deck is most definitely something to look out for in the future. Edited by antispiral
Cleared up what I could.

1 Thing.
You need another Laval in the graveyard prior to activating their double foolish to activate Tender's effect.
You could also mention Flamvell Counter.
Looks good though :D

I've been hearing conflicting rulings on Sweltering Heat and Tender, but if that's the case then that isn't too difficult to accomplish anyway.

[quote name='Naus' timestamp='1317942691' post='3002684']
1 Thing.
You need another Laval in the graveyard prior to activating their double foolish to activate Tender's effect.
You could also mention Flamvell Counter.
Looks good though :D
[/quote]

to be frank, when sent along with another laval, it would already exist in the graveyard by the time it recognizes the opportunity to activate its effect. I suppose you can change while to when for clarity

I feel Magma Cannoneer deserves a mention, if only because it's a level 4 Laval target for Rekindling and can set up quick and easy Trishula plays.

Having a Tengu in play and playing Rekindling bringing back Magma Cannoneer + Tender + Tender + Tender/Forest Sprite/Laval Lady allows you to end the field in Librarian + Trishula + level 5/6/7 Synchro whilst netting you pluses with Librarian.

You should mention some plays in the guide too

Flamvell Firedog grabbing a Sprite lets you make Lavalval Dragoon in mp2 and give you a grave setup by getting Tender.

Cannon + Sarco for another Cannon makes Chain if you're desperate, then detaching a Cannon and sending Tender gets Tender's effect.

And we could use Atem for clarification on the Tender ruling, but I'm pretty sure you need a Laval beforehand, even if you send two.

I just noticed that you forgot to include the translated text for Conducting Field.

You also don't call Heat-Conducting Field....Heat-Conducting Field. o.o

I'm used to calling it that since it's how Dark Evangel from Pojo calls it, and I trust it's accurate.

Would very much like to hear what Atem has to say about it.

I hope this still works:

[IMG]http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx229/S_iulzen/Yu-Gi-Oh/AtemSignal-1.png[/IMG]

ive had bad luck with this deck, im clearly not using the right build

This deck is actually pretty fun, and absolutely insane when it can set up.

I've been using tengu and tour guide, though running tour guide has destroyed my extra deck. I'm also pretty interested with that ruling for tender.

[quote name='Exiled' timestamp='1317951198' post='3002750']
[/quote]

How does your build look like?

This is what I got right now:

3 Laval Cannon
3 Laval Volcano Maid
2 Laval Lakeshore Lady
1 Laval Forest Sprite
1 Laval Magma Cannoneer
3 Flamvell Firedog
1 Flamvell Magician
3 Reborn Tengu

3 Molten Convection
3 Rekindling
2 Gold Sarcophagus
1 Reinforcement of the Army
1 Foolish Burial
1 Monster Reborn
1 Heavy Storm
1 Dark Hole
1 Mind Control
1 Book of Moon
2 Mystical Space Typhoon

2 Tephra Rekindling
2 Solemn Warning
1 Solemn Judgment
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Trap Dustshoot
1 Return from the Different Dimension

1 Lavalval Dragon
1 Laval Twin Slayer
1 Laval The Greater
1 Lavalval Dragoon
1 Laval Stannon
1 Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1 Stardust Dragon
1 Scrap Dragon
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1 Ally of Justice Catastor
1 T.G. Hyper Librarian
1 Lavalval Chain
1 Number 39: Utopia
1 Daigusto Emeral

For the OP, Reinforcement of the Army could also be mentioned as it searches Cannon.

Lavals have lots of potential.

now I'm interested.

Very happy you made this guide, I was having a lot of fun with my old build and on a 5 game winning streak, now I can make it even better.

Here's what I have so far:

17/14/9

3 Laval Cannoneer
2 Laval Lady of the Burning Lake
1 Laval Forest Sprite
3 Tender of the Laval Volcano
1 Laval Miller
1 Laval Lancelord
3 Flamvell Firedog
2 Effect Veiler
1 Gorz

3 Rekindling
3 Sweltering Heat Transmission Field
1 Searing Fire Wall
1 Heavy Storm
1 Monster Reborn
1 Dark Hole
1 Mind Control
2 MST
1 Enemy Controller

1 Blazing Dust Explosion
1 Solemn Judgment
2 Solemn Warning
2 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Torrential
1 Mirror Force
1 Return from the D.D.

1 Catastor
1 Librarian
1 Laval Twin Slayer
1 Lavalval Dragon
1 Brionac
1 Lavalval Dragoon
1 Black Rose
1 Laval Stanton
1 Stardust
1 Scrap Dragon
1 Colossal
1 Trishula
1 Mist Wurm
1 Decisive Armor

I'd like to fit some Gold Sarcs in here, and maybe another Searing Fire Wall. Tengu would be great as well, never even thought about it before.

Laval Miller has been working pretty well, basically acting like a Sweltering Heat and another name to get Laval Lady online ASAP. Enemy Controller is pretty boss, since off a single Rekindling you'd revive multiple tuners, you can afford to sacrifice one to make a better synchro summon.

[quote name='Siulzen' timestamp='1317953319' post='3002791']
[quote name='Exiled' timestamp='1317951198' post='3002750']
[/quote]

How does your build look like?

This is what I got right now:

3 Laval Cannoneer
3 Tender of the Laval Volcano
2 Laval Lady of the Burning Lake
1 Laval Forest Sprite
1 Laval Magma Cannoneer
3 Flamvell Firedog
1 Flamvell Magician
3 Reborn Tengu

3 Heat-Conducting Field
3 Rekindling
2 Gold Sarcophagus
1 Reinforcement of the Army
1 Foolish Burial
1 Monster Reborn
1 Heavy Storm
1 Dark Hole
1 Mind Control
1 Book of Moon
2 Mystical Space Typhoon

2 Blazing Dust Explosion
2 Solemn Warning
1 Solemn Judgment
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Trap Dustshoot
1 Return from the Different Dimension

1 Lavalval Dragon
1 Laval Twin Slayer
1 Laval The Greater
1 Lavalval Dragoon
1 Laval Stannon
1 Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1 Stardust Dragon
1 Scrap Dragon
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1 Ally of Justice Catastor
1 T.G. Hyper Librarian
1 Lavalval Chain
1 Number 39: Utopia
1 Daigusto Emeral

For the OP, Reinforcement of the Army could also be mentioned as it searches Cannoneer.
[/quote]

I'll just say I'm not running Tengus in this and I have a capacity of opening Cannoneers and nothing else alot of the times

I've been calling it Sweltering Heat Transmission Field cause that's what I've seen on DN and the Wiki. But if it's something different then I can change it.

I know there's probably errors in the guide; I didn't have too much time today and I don't really have much time at the moment to fix it, but if you guys see anything else point it out and I'll get around it to it ASAP.

As for actual deck discussion:

I came to the conclusion that ROTA does need to be ran here after playing some games without it. There's been a lot of situations where I could have done something if I had Cannoneer in the hand, but of course I couldn't draw it.

E-Con is nice too especially if you run multiple Searing Fire Walls. idk how you had the room for it though, lol.

Gave the OP the Atem shakedown. I hate hyperliteral fanlators sometimes.

[quote name='Marcicus' timestamp='1317962699' post='3002933']I've been calling it Sweltering Heat Transmission Field cause that's what I've seen on DN and the Wiki.[/quote]

That's because DN has a habit of just copy-pasting the wiki, adding cards before they're officially released, adding cards before I can even fucking READ them, and so on, all because some faceless dickweed at the wiki feels confident enough without a damn magnifying glass.

If there is one flaw with DN that isn't just a matter of time and programming, it's the unreliability of the wiki.

So what's the verdict on Molten Convection and Volcano Maid?

i would bang all the chicks in the OP.

on topic though, the decktheme is insane. so consistent due to the foolish burial type card and the ridiculous effect of volcanic maid. too bad we'll be getting this about two years from now if we're lucky. :(

We'll start seeing parts of this archetype in HA05 I believe, but it won't be until 07 or so until we start getting the really good stuff.

Anyone else played vs GK? G1 feels like a straight-up auto lose cause the only thing that can run over their monsters is Lancelord if Necrovalley is up. :(

[quote name='Marcicus' timestamp='1317970162' post='3002999']
We'll start seeing parts of this archetype in HA05 I believe, but it won't be until 07 or so until we start getting the really good stuff.

Anyone else played vs GK? G1 feels like a straight-up auto lose cause the only thing that can run over their monsters is Lancelord if Necrovalley is up. :(
[/quote]
well it's kinda like the plant matchup. if you conserve your MSTs and play them at the right time, you have a fair chance. if you can go off before they get valley up (via dog or kindling or whatever), you also can win. but if they go off and get off a tribute on important monsters or something, that'll suck.

[quote name='Marcicus' timestamp='1317969364' post='3002995']
So what's the verdict on Molten Convection and Volcano Maid?
[/quote]
I just want to find a way to make Cannon consistent. I don't think I've ever used its effect once lol

Well between Sarc, Searing, Rekindling (if you reaaaaaaally want to, but this isn't ideal), and Tephra, you can get it off. How many of those cards do you run?

2 sarc 1 searing 1 tephra

i teched a spirit of flames to success tho. drop that, and cannon bring a monster, overlay for chain

try doing 2 searing and 2 tephra. tephra is so busted when you get it off - you can essentially shut the game down for your opponent if it resolves.