Sign in to follow this  
Shane

Solemn Warning

Shane    164
Alright, not sure how everyone is going to react to this topic, but since returning to play ygo and talking to various friends, and other well informed players I'm starting to believe that Solemn Warning isn't a very good card for the CURRENT meta for the new format.

This is a format dominated by big boss monsters. In theory, warning is a perfect way of dealing with these boss monsters, as they never hit the field. It is also a good way of shutting down other engines and strong turn one plays. However, time and time again I, and many others, have lost games due to paying to much life. Solemn Judgment and double warning are expensive cards to play. Even with taking no battle damage, if you have to activate all three you are looking at a maximum of 2000 lp remaining. This leaves a player open to unfortunate lucky top deck. With so little life to spare, it makes a player vulnerable to losing a game they had no business losing.

Thoughts?
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Wumbologist    14206
I would be kind of surprised if you lost a game where you got to play all 3 Solemns. What are you going to run instead to stop your opponent's monsters as effectively? You can run BTH but it won't stop Tengu, Tour Guide into Sangan, or Hyperion/BLS from using priority.

Shane    164
Well, at the regional yesterday, it cost me a match twice where I paid my life down. It's not like I ever lost complete control or didn't have a next turn answer, just no life to withstand a boss monster for one turn. If it was only me, I would say I am probably doing something wrong, but it hasn't been just me.

The alternative to the solemn so far is Bottomless. Again, the card isn't as good as Solemn Warning, but it does solve the paying your own life down problem.

It is obvious that solemn warning is a GREAT card. The question is, is the steep cost of life worth it in a format with so many boss monsters.
  • Upvote 2

»victor    6399
But BTH has the edge in the DW matchup, where it deals with Grapha effectively (costlessly, permanently, etc.) whereas Warning sends it to the grave to be revived again.

Against Venus, BTH RFGs it so Hyperion cannot be Summoned.

I personally would run a pair of both, but you could get away without running Warning if you really needed to IMO.

But then again, unchainables vs DW is theoretically a liability.

IMO, something like Karma Cut has promise. Because it RFGs rather than destroy, [color=#ff8c00][u][b]it gets rid of Zenmains, Gachi Gachi[/b][/u][/color], and all those cards you'd rather RFG (Sangan, Grapha, etc.)

[img]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080830030144/yugioh/images/thumb/c/cd/KarmaCutSDDE-EN-C-1E.png/300px-KarmaCutSDDE-EN-C-1E.png[/img]
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nate1080    1244
If this topic was about Judgment instead of Warning, I probably would've agreed since Judgment has basically became a Warning with a greater cost a lot of the time. In the case of Judgment, I hardly find myself negating things that don't involve a summon this format.

Since this topic is about Warning, I'll disagree. Yes, it's cost can be a bit steep but it can truly save you from losing games, for example: Gorz. Something Judgment/BTH can't even touch. If you don't have a way to stop potential Gorz drops for example, you'll lose a lot this format. Same goes for ripping prio from a BLS/Hyperion/Trish/etc. When DW comes out, you may have a valid point about paying too much LP, even then I doubt people will drop Warning from the main or w/e because other decks, good, playable and viable decks, exist.
  • Upvote 2

».ben.    7437
If Agent is coming at you with something ridiculous like Hyperion, Hyperion, BLS, you were going to lose that game anyway, so losing LP on Warning doesn't really matter.

I agree that it's lost some of its "Im totally awesome at all times" status. But I think it's too good to pass up for stopping early game set ups and protecting your own.
  • Upvote 3

Feb    34
[quote name='Shane' timestamp='1318216579' post='3004615']
Alright, not sure how everyone is going to react to this topic, but since returning to play ygo and talking to various friends, and other well informed players I'm starting to believe that Solemn Warning isn't a very good card for the CURRENT meta for the new format.

This is a format dominated by big boss monsters. In theory, warning is a perfect way of dealing with these boss monsters, as they never hit the field. It is also a good way of shutting down other engines and strong turn one plays. However, time and time again I, and many others, have lost games due to paying to much life. Solemn Judgment and double warning are expensive cards to play. Even with taking no battle damage, if you have to activate all three you are looking at a maximum of 2000 lp remaining. This leaves a player open to unfortunate lucky top deck. With so little life to spare, it makes a player vulnerable to losing a game they had no business losing.

Thoughts?
[/quote]

I believe what costs you the game the Judgment not Warnings. A line up of 2 BTH + 2 Warning is much more effective than 1 Judgment 2 Warning this format.
  • Upvote 2

TFJ    618
If I'm not running some form of a control deck, I think I am comfortable going trapless/nearly trapless this format. Sure you will probably get blown-out some games, but you can play around some cards to a point.

I don't have any regionals/jumps near me though. So this strategy might not be as great for a longer tournament.

»PJ    4183
I believe that Warning's biggest problem isn't the LP cost, but rather the amount of S/T hate that exists right now. Every Deck is running Storm and (at least) 2 MST.

Solemn Warning stops the set-up of any boss monsters. The card obviously will be a staple, but I find people play the card when it isn't necessary. It loses utility after the first few turns, because your opponent most likely has set-up, so I tend to hold it for the boss monsters. I would always run this card for the sheer fact you can auto-win matches by playing this turn 1. There are several decks that are very dependent on their first normal summon being successful, so obviously Solemn Warning will be game-breaking. Add in a Dustshoot, you have 3 cards that can completely beat your opponent on turn 1.

I believe Solemn Warning is very easy to use compared to Solemn Judgment, but the same principles apply when using Solemn Warning. YOU DON'T HAVE TO ACTIVATE IT. Analyze the situation and figure out if its optimal to Solemn Warning the monster, is it necessary to Solemn Warning that monster i.e Gorz; do you have an answer for a future threat i.e. BLS or Hyperion; do you have enough utilities to deal with damage in case your LP are low upon activating Solemn Warning; etc.

I find players have a list in their head of monsters that must always be Solemn Warning'd and fail to analyze the game state at hand. In tournaments, I don't mind bad players playing bad, but its annoying when I lose to players who have no reasoning behind their plays aside from that is how I always use the card.
  • Upvote 6

heaven    488
I usually warn a 2000+ body anyway so ill save damage most of the time

Sacked    420
[quote name='heaven' timestamp='1318291795' post='3005188']
[/quote]

That's a pretty bad point since there are other options such as bottomless which gets rid of a 2000+ body and you take 0 damage.

In my opinion, warning is still worth it at least until darkworld come out since warning stops tgu, tengu, sangan, boss monsters before they get their effects, etc. I haven't tested enough vs darkworld to make judgement on whether it'll be worth it when dw come out.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

»Draigun    6837
Warning will still have some worth post-Dark World even though not as much as now. Against that deck, Grapha is a bitch to deal with leaving you with only 2 choices: Either deal with the smaller DW monster that's about to be bounced for Grapha or deal w/ Grapha itself, the former being somewhat easier.

Bottomless does clear out the threat just as effectively, still. But in some cases (boss monsters w/ ignition effects), Warning is still useful.

heaven    488
[quote name='Sacked' timestamp='1318343387' post='3005612']
[quote name='heaven' timestamp='1318291795' post='3005188']
[/quote]

That's a pretty bad point since there are other options such as bottomless which gets rid of a 2000+ body and you take 0 damage.

In my opinion, warning is still worth it at least until darkworld come out since warning stops tgu, tengu, sangan, boss monsters before they get their effects, etc. I haven't tested enough vs darkworld to make judgement on whether it'll be worth it when dw come out.
[/quote]

The point is valid, theres different cards for every situation. He said he often lost due to paying too much. By my standards a warning is still less the the average boss monster. Also most monsters have an effect that you can use when its hit by bottomless.

goddammit people. if you don't suck, you will judge the situation and make the appropriate call (disclaimer: sometimes they will just draw better than you, making it irrelevant, and sometimes there are things you just can't predict).

there are times when warning a ~2000 mon is the appropriate play, and there are times when it's not. it depends on the gamestate. make a fucking educated call. it's never "one way or another."

do people not remember reading feature matches where people would storm 2 b/r and a judgment would get destroyed? sometimes a play most people would make automatically (solemning the heavy) is fucking inappropriate. use common sense.
  • Upvote 15

»Pharaoh Atem    15779
[quote name='pkmn prof. grant' timestamp='1318440314' post='3006381']
(disclaimer: sometimes they will just draw better than you, making it irrelevant, and sometimes there are things you just can't predict)..
[/quote]

I expect someone to neg you just for saying this. :(
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sanjura    6663
you know from this thread it's pretty apparent who knows and who doesn't know how to play the solemn brigade properly
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

».ben.    7437
I fully expect to see close to 64 copies of Solemn Warning in the T32 of Columbus. I am really unsure why people are starting to think it is a bad option these days.

I would say all 64 were played, but I know some of those Agent decks ran very spartan trap line-ups.

Farester    820
Really, if you're running at least 4 traps 2 of them should be warning.

Dark Rayne    237
imo double bottomless and double warning should be mained, too many bad things can happen if try to leave one of the 2 out
  • Upvote 1

People are acting like Bottomless has taken Warning's spot, when in reality,

Warning is still as good as it always has been.
Bottomless is better then it has been in the past few formats.
  • Upvote 2