IAmTheGreat

Getting A New Car

IAmTheGreat    3772
So turns out my current car (2005 dodge stratus sxt, 100k+ miles) needed a little over $3k work put in to it, so Im debating simply trading it in and getting a new car. I live in MN, so snow is prevalent. I dont drive around too much, just 20 miles to and from work, among random other places. I have around $6000 to spend so while doing cash upfront would be nice, I dont mind having a payment plan. I just wouldnt need anything more than a 1 year plan.

Anyone have advice on a good car to get? Something reliable but nothing fancy

+rei+    34352
See if you can grab a used Subaru - the AWD will help deal with the snow, and they're reliable as fuck. Could be bad on gas though

If you want fuel efficiency, get a VW Golf or Jetta TDI - make sure theyre TDI - I cna put you in touch with some reliable places to find one - they usually last for fucking EVER (most reliable engines pretty much) and you'll easily get 42+ mpg while still being able to drive it like a car.

Otherwise, usual suspects, anything Japanese (Honda, Mazda, Subaru, Toyota) is safe - Hyundai and Kia (Korean) are safe if its newer than 2007 or so.

IAmTheGreat    3772
I went car shopping yesterday and am debating between a chevy cruze and a ford focus at the moment. I just have to finaggle the price.

IAmTheGreat    3772
http://www.applevalleyford.com/2012-Ford-Focus-SE-Apple-ValleyMN/vd/8284185

One of the Focuses Im looking in to. Gonna call my salesman at the other dealership to see what kind of price hes willing to come down to

+rei+    34352
The focus is a far more reliable and better handling vehicle.

+rei+    34352
though at 20k why not get a Subaru Impreza, or a Hyundai Genesis Coupe?

IAmTheGreat    3772
I havent really looked at all brands. My mechanic, who my family has gone to since I was a baby, recommended those specific ones. What are the advantages to going with the ones you mentioned?

+rei+    34352
Not being shit.

Okay seriously Chevrolet has had notorious reliability issues they;ve only begun to iron out (they have more problems than this but this is the most obvious). Ford is better in that regard (and the new focus is a solid car), but Hondas, Hyundais, and Subarus are still generally more reliable on the 4cyl platform, as are Toyota but I'd probably take the Focus over a Corolla. So basically you'll get another 6-10 years of life out of the car. Hondas and Toyotas will also both be better on gas. Most Hyundais will but I reccomended you a sports car - if you see a Hyundai or a Kia you'd prefer (such as the Forte Coupe) it's likely better on gas as well.

The Hyundai Genesis Coupe is basically an affordable, RWD (better performing, better handling) sports car for cheap, and the Subaru Impreza is a basic car but has AWD, which the focus and cruze do not.

+rei+    34352
The Impreza would by FAR be the best on snow.

If you want to step up to an SUV the only good one in that price area is prob the VW Tiguan, but VWs US dealer network is a bunch of scam artists. (the car itself is great though)

IAmTheGreat    3772
I guess I may have overstated by need to AWD. I havent had a MAJOR issue with snow. Never gotten in to a snow accident/stuck on highway/etc, just wanted it for the perk. The Cruze Im looking at is around 20k and gets between 34-40 mpg. It also handled amazingly well when I test drove it, probably the best of any vehicle Ive had.

A couple of bonus perks I want, that arent stuck to 1 brand, is obviously good mileage, a moonroof (My 1st car had and I miss it), a synch system (fuck dealing with cds), as well as leg room for me. I had previously owned full and midsize, but I rarely chauffer, so a compact isnt an issue right now. I was also debating a hatchback just for the extra storage room if needed, but I noticed a correlation between that and lack of driver legroom.

The Cruze also gets around 6-7k miles between oil changes, which would be very nice. The focus was good too, but the Cruze was just such a smooth car.

+rei+    34352
the focus is going to last longer and has a way better syncing technology. Go with it then

A VW Golf TDI is probably a BIT too expensive if your tossing in a moonroof but it is by far the best in every single thing you're looking for
(40 mpg, handles like a boss, hatchback, lots of driver legroom)

Give a Mazda 3 a shot too.

IAmTheGreat    3772
Not to sound like a prick, but what do you have that shows a Focus lasts longer when the Cruze just recently came out on the market.

The Focus is cheap and has what Im looking for, its just hard to want it after trying out the Cruze

+rei+    34352
Every consumer report guide on chevrolet ever. Seriously look up their track record. But it's NOT a new car - it's been in europe for a while (which is part of why it handles well, honestly - need to try and appeal to european market). Best I can get you is incomplete data which puts it middle of the pack ([url="http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability.php?stage=pt&bd=Chevrolet&mc=1008"]http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability.php?stage=pt&bd=Chevrolet&mc=1008[/url] ) but beaten out by both VW's diesels and the Hyundai Elantra. Surprisingly the Focus does pretty bad in this data, which goes against a very substantial amount of anecdotal evidence and reviewers.

Consider the Hyundai Elantra as well - most people describe it (most people being a few auto journalists) as similar in styling and feel to the cruze with a better track record and better fuel economy

IAmTheGreat    3772
I appreciate all the help rei. I got conflicting opinions from you and my familys long-time mechanic, but thats bound to happen with different preferences. Im going with a Chevy Cruze. Its about 19.5 after tax and title, and i got them to work up to a 3,500 trade in thanks to the unknown help of another dealership's appraisal.

http://www.jeffbelzer.com/new/Chevrolet/2012-Chevrolet-Cruze-a16781150a0a006500f0bf3d35382703.htm

+rei+    34352
You enjoyed driving it, which is one of the absolutely most important things. Chevy has claimed they've changed/improved, and if they're right you're looking at something that works out great for you

Anonymous    58
for what you're paying, you can get a 2011 chevy impala for 3-4 grand cheaper, provided that you don't mind it comes with 30 000 miles. those 3.5L get 30 mpg, so it's not like you're going to be stuck with a gas pig.

Also, if you were so hellbent on getting a cruze and was going to listen to your mechanic anyways, why did you even bother asking the forum in the first place?

Honestly, you're much better off getting the focus, especially if you can get one with a 2.3L.the 2.3L has been around for quite a while, it's their best motor for those cars, it'll outlast the 2.0L AND you'll have a bit more power to it,too. the 2.0L has been having intake manifold issues, due to using cheap plastic, but they also come with aluminum ones, so if your has the aluminum one, then take it. if not, then go to the 2.3

they said they fixed it with "re-enforced plastic", but that remains to be seen. All intakes should go back to being aluminum IMO