Conscription.    1152
So if I were I get into standard, I couldn't use the same deck for a Couple years but I have to drop it and continue to adapt to the format.

Azn_Boy    378
Pretty much. Once Innistrad cycles out next year, I'm probably gonna take a break from standard.

Azn_Boy    378
It has the most prize support and players. All the Friday Night Magic weeklies are standard.

Getting into standard is cheaper than the other formats, but it's probably the most expensive in the long run.

Azn_Boy    378
[quote name='pkmn prof. grant' timestamp='1343360580' post='3241516']
why would you quit after isd? rtr-on will probably be a fantastic format
[/quote]
Because I don't want to put any more money into the block after Ravnica. I'll just play budget EDH or something. Might come back into standard after a few years.

reprints happen in basically every set. rotation happens in blocks. as an example, innistrad, dark ascension, and avacyn restored are a "block." blocks are legal for 2 years before rotating out. the core sets (ie m13) rotate out in the next year with the old block.

this is just standard.

Azn_Boy    378
UW Delver is around $200-$260, a lot of players dislike playing against it because it's so popular. A tempo deck that rewards skill. I would compare it in a sense to when Gladiator Beasts were dominant in YGO.
Any deck with red in it will be at least $150 because of Bonfires
Mono Green Aggro is cheap and very effective, but it's not a deck I find rewarding to play with since the gameplan is straight forward.

There are control builds that are even more expensive, but control is too slow right now.

Conscription.    1152
I realize the thread says you can buy singles through MTGO but can you really?

[url="http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnline.aspx?x=mtg/digital/magiconline/howdoi/buy"]http://www.wizards.c...line/howdoi/buy[/url]

Glimmervoid    92
Maybe add something about rotation in the OP. Many people, including myself, has rotation as a big issue when thinking about getting into Magic, because you don't know how often you have to get new cards.

So I think I'm going to pick up MtG for real this time. I was incredibly tempted when Innistrad came out, and Return to Ravnica makes me feel warm inside even though there are only a few spoilers (dat charm).

Just looking at what has been going on,rotating out, and spoiled I think U/W/R Delver and possibly B/G/R Zombies could be Standard decks. Do you think it would be somewhat safe to start collecting those cards in anticipation of the new Standard format? Just the core of those decks like Snapcaster, Restoration Angel, Geralf's Messenger, etc. I also plan on picking up the Izzet vs. Golgari deck to get used to the game again, and pick up new RtR cards.

EDIT: Also should I invest in any lands right now? IIRC I was going to get some Scars duals for cheap, but they went up after Zendikar rotated out. I don't want the same shit happening =\.

Oceanus    1125
It's a speculators game at this point, although just think about it: all we know is Innistrad block and M13 is in. I notice trends of what is awesome in Innistrad Block constructed, and what is played from M13 in Standard. These show trending cards that are used because they have the strongest impact right now. Betting on these cards is a fine gamble; they've already proven themselves, while RTR is yet to be seen.

An interesting specific of this is how Delver/Snapcaster is up in the air. It is not popular in Innistrad block constructed. If RTR doesn't provide the right goods for Instants/Sorceries, the deck is extremely shaky to bet on. Without Gut Shot, Mana Leak, Ponder, Gitaxian Probe, etc., where would Delver have been?

The Innistrad lands are enemy-colored (WB/UR/BG/RW/GU). They will be popular, as always, but they won't be obscene like Scars lands. Due to the nature of design, enemy-colored lands are somewhat cheaper.

Matt.    341
So I am strongly considering getting into Magic for a variety of reasons, #1 Being Yugioh sucks and if Toronto goes as I expect I won't want to play competitive for 6 months.

My primary question is what is the best way to start? I have a pretty solid network of friends who play the game, and can def. get singles from my shop. My main question is, is it best to play standard first, or start by drafting?

Drafting seems like the better option to me since it doesn't require me owning cards, but I know its alot harder, and I kinda feel awkward doing it atm since I don't know all the cards... and reading in a draft sucks.

I know the new rotation starts soon which is why I am trying to go for it right now. Any help would be great.

Azn_Boy    378
Learn to draft.

channelfireball, mtgoacademy, draftmagic all great sites to watch videos.

You'll learn how to evaluate cards better and limited is the most fun part about magic.

imo the best thing to do is just play online for a while and then once you find a deck you like you can buy it. the u/r land (i don't even remember its name) would be a great investment now, unless the price has already spiked.

IamPro    13
[quote name='pkmn prof. grant' timestamp='1346190026' post='3266790']
imo the best thing to do is just play online for a while and then once you find a deck you like you can buy it. the u/r land (i don't even remember its name) would be a great investment now, unless the price has already spiked.
[/quote]
Sulfur Falls, its gone up a little but still pretty cheap

I appreciate the feedback. I picked up some Sulfur Falls for cheap at my local store (about 4 each). I figure it's not a risky investment; if they go down by a buck or two each no biggie, and if they go up I won't get smashed like I did with Scars lands. I'll just continue to wait for other spoilers before trying to pick stuff up.

EDIT: I know playing online is good and all, but I really prefer playing face to face (at least until I learn the rules/how to play better).

wocram    1
[quote name='Vyse the Legend' timestamp='1346244611' post='3267345']
I appreciate the feedback. I picked up some Sulfur Falls for cheap at my local store (about 4 each). I figure it's not a risky investment; if they go down by a buck or two each no biggie, and if they go up I won't get smashed like I did with Scars lands. I'll just continue to wait for other spoilers before trying to pick stuff up.

EDIT: I know playing online is good and all, but I really prefer playing face to face (at least until I learn the rules/how to play better).
[/quote]

I honestly don't see the lands going down - they're not played very much now and they've been steadily rising. When we have enemy colored guilds in RtR, they will definitely be in much higher demand.

I am also thinking about starting to get into the game.

Is the 2013 deckbuilding tool kit worth getting to start a collection?

Or should I just look at the top decks now and start picking up singles?

Third option is should I wait until after RtR comes out to pick up singles, and until then just draft/learn game mechanics by reading up forums?

Matt.    341
[quote name='Toon Ninja 17' timestamp='1346848848' post='3273252']
I am also thinking about starting to get into the game.

Is the 2013 deckbuilding tool kit worth getting to start a collection?

Or should I just look at the top decks now and start picking up singles?

Third option is should I wait until after RtR comes out to pick up singles, and until then just draft/learn game mechanics by reading up forums?
[/quote]

As someone who is doing the same thing as you are right now I'll just let you know my plan.

Draft M13 as much as I can to learn how to play the game, and draft the game (I currently suck at drafting btw). Don't worry about standard til RtR since thats when the new cycle starts. At that sneak peek you'll be at a pretty level playing field with most people in limited. Then see where Standard format goes and invest in singles.

What I have found as a yugioh player moving into MtG... I am generally a better instinctual card player than most of the average players at my shop, but I am so far behind on my knowledge of tricks, and drafting that its really hard to compete. Over time that will change I am sure. As one of my good friends who made the switch told me "Good Yugioh players make good Magic players."

[quote name='Matt.' timestamp='1346860192' post='3273355']
As someone who is doing the same thing as you are right now I'll just let you know my plan.

Draft M13 as much as I can to learn how to play the game, and draft the game (I currently suck at drafting btw). Don't worry about standard til RtR since thats when the new cycle starts. At that sneak peek you'll be at a pretty level playing field with most people in limited. Then see where Standard format goes and invest in singles.

What I have found as a yugioh player moving into MtG... I am generally a better instinctual card player than most of the average players at my shop, but I am so far behind on my knowledge of tricks, and drafting that its really hard to compete. Over time that will change I am sure. As one of my good friends who made the switch told me "Good Yugioh players make good Magic players."
[/quote]

Ya that is what I've been finding out as well when I play EDH with some of my friends. I tend to be able to read some plays/make some decent moves myself, but when my opponent does these long winded combos, I just sit there dumbfounded.

Though I probably will follow your suggestion and draft until RtR. I know there is free Magic this Saturday which I am excited for.