I have a rulings question: Does Zombie Elf count as a different creature type than Zombie? Or does it count as both a Zombie and an Elf? I'm asking b/c I want to know if I can call Zombie with Cavern of Souls, and it still count for cards like Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord.

»Turkey    1515
Toon Ninja: I think it's ESSENTIAL to play MTGO to become good at Magic. If you're not worried about going negative at first, I would invest in it immediately.

Vyse: It counts as Zombie and Elf.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='pkmn prof. grant' timestamp='1347126373' post='3275746']
because it's an excellent way to stay on top of your game, the metagame, and an excellent opportunity to make money if you know what you're doing.
[/quote]

So then should I wait since I am still a little new to the game?

Brother Ali    71
hey guys total noob here would appreciate any help I can get.

How much longer will the recent sets be played? Would it be wise to invest anything in them?

Are there any structure/event decks that are worth playing with my brother/friend to get accustomed to the game? If so which ones are decent?

Thanks.

[quote name='Brother Ali' timestamp='1350012358' post='3301630']
hey guys total noob here would appreciate any help I can get.

How much longer will the recent sets be played? Would it be wise to invest anything in them?

Are there any structure/event decks that are worth playing with my brother/friend to get accustomed to the game? If so which ones are decent?

Thanks.
[/quote]

Return To Ravnica will be around for quite some time. It would be wise to at least try and get shocklands now as you will need them for the foreseeable future. As far as event decks go, I would just buy singles, that being said the new golgari one has thragtusk and woodland cemetary in it so that would be the one to buy.

Matt.    341
How much does it cost to get into MTGO. I have no problem dropping some $$ to be able to draft and play a little bit in my spare time. But I don't really want to drop 100's of dollars.

aurirevoir    2860
assuming you're referring to SCG Cincinnati [url="http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&start_date=2012-10-07&end_date=2012-10-07&event_ID=19"]http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&start_date=2012-10-07&end_date=2012-10-07&event_ID=19[/url]

»Turkey    1515
[quote name='Matt.' timestamp='1350148574' post='3302455']
How much does it cost to get into MTGO. I have no problem dropping some $$ to be able to draft and play a little bit in my spare time. But I don't really want to drop 100's of dollars.
[/quote]
It will probably cost hundreds of dollars for a standard deck and enough tickets to draft and play in constructed events. However, it's not any different than dropping hundreds of dollars on a paper standard deck and entering events with it. Furthermore, reselling cards on MODO is much better than paper.

Yune    240
If money is your concern and you don't have any dreams of playing IRL, you could get into pauper.

Brother Ali    71
If I wanna buy a full tournament deck what would the best way be?

is the store.tcgplayer way the best? I see the option of where when your viewing a deck you can click Buy This Deck. Is that the cheapest way?

+Gojira    1704
[quote name='Brother Ali' timestamp='1350522677' post='3305699']
If I wanna buy a full tournament deck what would the best way be?

is the store.tcgplayer way the best? I see the option of where when your viewing a deck you can click Buy This Deck. Is that the cheapest way?
[/quote]
You might check on ebay for a full deck, at least to compare pricing. Make sure to use the optimization feature on tcgplayer, it's pretty good.

chee    61
just adding to turkeys comment, ive ordered from tcg and its sellers are reputable. the "low" price will be the lowest u find anywhere.

Izzet27    1
[quote name='Vyse the Legend' timestamp='1346159729' post='3266435']
So I think I'm going to pick up MtG for real this time. I was incredibly tempted when Innistrad came out, and Return to Ravnica makes me feel warm inside even though there are only a few spoilers (dat charm).

Just looking at what has been going on,rotating out, and spoiled I think U/W/R Delver and possibly B/G/R Zombies could be Standard decks. Do you think it would be somewhat safe to start collecting those cards in anticipation of the new Standard format? Just the core of those decks like Snapcaster, Restoration Angel, Geralf's Messenger, etc. I also plan on picking up the Izzet vs. Golgari deck to get used to the game again, and pick up new RtR cards.

EDIT: Also should I invest in any lands right now? IIRC I was going to get some Scars duals for cheap, but they went up after Zendikar rotated out. I don't want the same shit happening =\.
[/quote]

So did you finally pick up magic?

I don't have a deck built unfortunately. There's been a lot of family stuff that popped up (aunt with cancer, grandmother died, sick uncle, etc), and had I to take care of the family business while my parents dealt with that out of town.

I've got the money to go ahead and buy a deck (though I have a zombie skeleton with caverns already), but I'm just going to wait until things clear up a bit more. Definitely wanted to hit up GP Charleston, but couldn't b/c of aforementioned stuff. However, I'll be hitting up GP Charlotte for sure since I don't need to have deck built by then (though I should have something by then lol).

Wasteland    62

Is this a good time to get into standard?

Depending on what level of play you're at, I'd suggest waiting till October or near then. At least until after Dragon's Maze is fully spoiled. That way you can manage money better too.