»ACP    33416

We're only about halfway through the season. Rotation is still 6 months off. If you really want to start right now I'd just go ahead and do it, but if you were planning on waiting another 3 months, you might as well just wait 6 instead.

Dank Memeston    1716

^ This might be the answer to my question but:

So I'm interested in making a Green White Red (I guess its called Naya?) deck and I understand there are a lot of good green cards before this current block (Return) in M13 and the whatever block. I know at least 1 card I know I'm going to pick up eventually (voice of Resurgence) but do you feel it would be worth it to get good cards (like Advent, Healer... mainly those) now or should I save my time and wait until the sets come out? I have looked at all the Green, Red, White, Green/White, Green/Red, White/Red, White/dual, and artifact cards in this block and stuff. Should I just get the cards I know I should get and proxy the rest of the deck out for fun? (probly this) Is it even worth it?

»ACP    33416

I don't really understand the question. Yes, in order to have a good standard deck you'll need to buy cards from the previous block, Depending on what you're buying, some of them will maintain their value post-rotation anyways. For example: Huntmaster of the Fells will probably keep most of its value since it's modern playable and a mythic rare.

Dank Memeston    1716

Well, I'm not good are selling my stuff online (as you may remember or not. i kinda just dont but i should... although i know what to do :/ ) so I don't want to be stuck with cards I might or might not have a hard time trading off. :/ I don't plan on playing in tournaments until I get a complete deck (if I choose to at all) and may just play for fun with some people I know with proxies (who play in tournaments) until the last block rotates out so I don't have to invest in it. Its me being nervous and on unsettling grounds since I don't really know much about Magic at all. :/ Just need to delve more. 

Well, I'm not good are selling my stuff online (as you may remember or not. i kinda just dont but i should... although i know what to do :/ ) so I don't want to be stuck with cards I might or might not have a hard time trading off. :/ I don't plan on playing in tournaments until I get a complete deck (if I choose to at all) and may just play for fun with some people I know with proxies (who play in tournaments) until the last block rotates out so I don't have to invest in it. Its me being nervous and on unsettling grounds since I don't really know much about Magic at all. :/ Just need to delve more. 

What you could always do if you don't feel like putting money into cards that are rotating out is just play a lot of limited until September/October. This allows you to play competitively, while building up your card collection.

On the other hand, you could always play an aggro deck. Those normally don't cost too much and you won't lose out on a lot if you don't manage to trade them off before rotation.

wocram    1

What you could always do if you don't feel like putting money into cards that are rotating out is just play a lot of limited until September/October. This allows you to play competitively, while building up your card collection.

On the other hand, you could always play an aggro deck. Those normally don't cost too much and you won't lose out on a lot if you don't manage to trade them off before rotation.

Playing limited is generally pretty poor EV, no?

So while you might be playing competitively, you're ending up with less value in cards than you put in.I think that for this format, a lot of the pricier cards are RTR block cards anways, so there isn't a huge downside to buying into standard right now. And then playing in tournaments should be marginally positive EV, which would maybe help offset any cards that go down in value. That said, buying in to begin with is kind of expensive and off-putting, but you will most likely end up doing it anyways at some point. 

Personally, I bought the vampire event deck (although this was kinda inherently free value, $25 for ~$50 of cards) right before innistrad block and managed to trade yugioh cards, and buy some cards, to make it an actual deck. Then prerelease sealeds ended up at least paying for themselves, and I ended up not spending too much to actually get into the game. 

So I suggest to watch streams / play limited / play cockatrice until you feel comfortable buying in, and/or trade some yugioh cards for magic stock while you're at it (which is obnoxiously difficult to do, considering it basically forces you to use pojo).

Sess    280

I haven't played magic a lot since zendikar format and am interested in playing it again semi-casually and possibly competitively(like just for locals and maybe whatever the equivalent of yugioh regionals are for mtg) if I find a deck I like.

Are vampires any good at all right now? They were what originally drew me to start playing mtg so I wouldn't mind playing them again. I've seen artistocrat decks and wasn't sure if investing in that stuff is a good idea as I think it rotates out soon. I also kind of liked the mono black vampire control deck that used bloodline keeper's but again I don't know if its a good idea to invest in those cards.

Also I found that I really like playing the modern mono blue tron deck, are there any decks in standard similar to it? I saw a few decks like esper control and wasn't really sure how that deck kills the opponent. Does it just stall until it can win with a planeswalker or repeated attacks from snapcaster or something? 

Roughly, how much would I be looking at to pay in order to assemble a competitive deck?

Edit: Also what is a good place to look up rulings online? I'm not completely sure of a lot of things like blocking with more than one creature or how creature effects work. Things like if you activate something like prodigal pyromancer and the opponent uses doom blade on it does pyromancer's effect still work I'm not too sure of.

Glimmervoid    92
Investing in Aristocrats wouldn't be a great idea right now. Falkenraths alone cost 15 a piece, and it's not seeing play in other formats, so it's going to tank. A lot of the most important cards also rotate out, so you won't have a deck come October.

IF you want to play a deck that's not RDW/Gruul Aggro, then you should expect spending at least 200 $

For the Esper deck, it usually wins by milling the opponent with Nephalia Drownyard

Hope that helps ^^
  • Upvote 1

Dank Memeston    1716

Well, because of Xanthrid thingerguy you could pick up Varolz just in case, regardless of the fact he is probly going up anyways even if not in that deck. But God got it right, most of the core of the deck is rotating out... its just we are getting one of the core pieces (Blood artist) kinda reprinted so something could come up.

how many tier 1 decks are there at a given time during a format (ie now and the past couple formats)

what sort of price range are they

and how long does it take for formats to be rotated

thanks in advance, sorry if it's already been asked

Glimmervoid    92
The amount of top tiers differ a lot. There are a bunch this format, but as far as I remember, there was only one tier 1 deck last rotation (UW Delver). This format, the cheapest viable deck is around 100 bucks, and the most expensive is around 500.

A format consists of a block of three packs, core pack (M13, ex) and another block of three packs. Every year in July, a new core set is released, and the first pack of a block comes out in October. Also in October, the oldest block and core pack rotated out. That means that there are two core packs in the format July till October.

So there is a rotation every year, but a block will be legal approximately two years from release.
  • Upvote 4

wonderPreaux    1408

The amount of top tiers differ a lot. There are a bunch this format, but as far as I remember, there was only one tier 1 deck last rotation (UW Delver). This format, the cheapest viable deck is around 100 bucks, and the most expensive is around 500.

A format consists of a block of three packs, core pack (M13, ex) and another block of three packs. Every year in July, a new core set is released, and the first pack of a block comes out in October. Also in October, the oldest block and core pack rotated out. That means that there are two core packs in the format July till October.

So there is a rotation every year, but a block will be legal approximately two years from release.

does this mean that when the core and last block rotate out, the new format only has the new core + 4 sets total, which then expands to core + 6 when the new block is complete? or did i read this wrong?

does this mean that when the core and last block rotate out, the new format only has the new core + 4 sets total, which then expands to core + 6 when the new block is complete? or did i read this wrong?

You read it correctly. Once Theros comes out it'll be M14, Return to Ravnica Block and Theros.

Azn_Boy    378

The amount of top tiers differ a lot. There are a bunch this format, but as far as I remember, there was only one tier 1 deck last rotation (UW Delver).

Naya Pod, BR Zombies, Wolf Run Ramp, French Rites

wonderPreaux    1408

You read it correctly. Once Theros comes out it'll be M14, Return to Ravnica Block and Theros.

so, would i be right to think/hope that the most relevant/ground-breaking cards in the new block come in the first set, to avoid an awkward period where its kinda stale/limited due to the very familiar card pool? or is that not usually the case?

Dank Memeston    1716

so, would i be right to think/hope that the most relevant/ground-breaking cards in the new block come in the first set, to avoid an awkward period where its kinda stale/limited due to the very familiar card pool? or is that not usually the case?

Supposedly that is the case, most of the best cards in the first set, some in the second, few in the last. Someone told me that is the reason why people were surprised when Voice was revealed (besides the fact it was amazing).

The first set of a block tends to be larger and as a result has more powerful cards by virtue of its size. 

Also the previous block rotating changes a metagame significantly even without considering the impact of adding a new set. Look at the difference between Block format and Standard to see different the format is once a set rotates out. 

But yeah, rotation is when the format is most open ended because of new cards becoming available and metagame shifting cards leaving the format allowing older cards to shine too. 

aurirevoir    2865

primarily for modo players:  What's your opinion of Magic Online (would you still recommend it) after this weekend's MOCS and PTQ crashes?

primarily for modo players:  What's your opinion of Magic Online (would you still recommend it) after this weekend's MOCS and PTQ crashes?

It's not that bad, but this is shit that should definitely not be happening at this point in the development of the software. Oh, and Kibler responded very nicely about the whole situation.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/27314_The-Magic-Online-Championship-Series-Should-Not-Exist.html

I still like using MTGO as a way to get practice in.

Being able to draft at any time of the day is just too convenient to just give up.

As for the larger events, I would probably steer clear of them, unless there's like a MOCS on a day where I have absolutely nothing planned. 

aurirevoir    2865

well they just shut down all of the daily events indefinitely soooooooo.....

Yes, but there's no indication of how long it will take.

As bad as this looks for Wizards, reasons like this are why I'm so glad that I'm playing Magic instead of Yugioh now. I could see Konami saying "there is no problem" and let people waste time/money while nothing is done about it. Wizards actually takes player feedback and acts on it.