To read about Magic:

www.starcitygames.com

www.channelfireball.com

To discuss Magic:

www.facebook.com

www.twitter.com

Pojo-esque:

Every Magic forum in existence.

Unfortunately this makes it difficult for people not "in" with the competitive Magic community, but it is what it is.

»Audioslayne    909

To read about Magic:

www.starcitygames.com

www.channelfireball.com

To discuss Magic:

www.facebook.com

www.twitter.com

Pojo-esque:

Every Magic forum in existence.

Unfortunately this makes it difficult for people not "in" with the competitive Magic community, but it is what it is.

Well shit.  I guess I need to start infiltrating Facebook and Twitter circles then. 

• Upvote 1

Rainy    13

Are there good people to follow specifically on Twitter? Like I follow Shuhei and a few other japanese players, but otherwise are there any "big names" or anyone I should keep an eye out for? 

aurirevoir    2865
I mean generally speaking most hall of famers who are still playing, most of CFB/pantheon are good follows

bonus points for infosec taylor swift and esports seinfeld but those aren't necessarily magic related :P

»ACP    33416

mtgthesource.com has better quality discussion than even duelistgroundz does in 2015, but all they care about is legacy

+scuzzlebutt    23484
i think every forum is fine to at least read tbh if youre willing to put a little "effort" in, you just cant expect to gain from them nowadays in the same way that you used to be able to by just reading the honest opinions of the best players in the game. you can learn a hell of a lot about the yugioh metagame by reading shit on pojo, just not in the same way that you would in the old days by talking directly to jae kim on duelistgroundz or whatever

+scuzzlebutt    23484
itd obviously be better if everyone just talked to everyone but make do with what u got

rumple4skin    5

alright guys after a couple week of playing magic i think i might have made a mistake already getting into the game i have the deck i want and payed alot of money for without knowing about block rotating (dont know wtf dat means 100%) so to my point i bought red/white aggro deck which it has been working super well i went 3-2-1 at my local game day(my first mtg tournament) i can 100% say that my purchase was worth it a couple of days ago but recently a magic friend was talking to me about most of my deck will get hit in the upcoming block he went on to list multple cards brimaz,rabblemaster,stoke the flames,battlefield forge,sarkhan the dragonspeaker the list goes on and on. i would like to get a opinion from some magic vets on what exactly is this block rotating and how fucked am i in the future when alot of my cards in the deck get hurt is it like yugioh where banned cards just become worthless im kinda of freaking out about it because well i spent good amount of money on cards that cant be played in the future

+Gemstone Mine    2596

Block rotates in like 7 months iirc. You've got plent  of time till rotation. And brimaz and rabble are both likely to be worth something after rotation. Post rotation prices just depend on how good it is in eternal formats.

Matt.    341

You have more time than like 2 yugioh formats before rotation so if you are playing standard 1 time a week you will get your money's worth.

That being said, depending on your budget you can look into formats like Modern and Legacy. (Probably start with modern since legacy is a bit steep). Modern does not rotate and the decks aren't too badly priced. Basically every deck in the format can be purchased for between 400 and 800 with a few exceptions of course.

Not even that you need to jump right in, but as you keep playing and win cards, try to be familiar with eternal formats so that you can pick stuff up. Right now Thoughtseize and the Fetch lands are eternal staples in standard and stocking up on them is a good idea. The cards in eternal formats almost exclusively go up in price unless they are reprinted.

rumple4skin    5

thx for the info was really concerned about the rotating block stuff was thinking it was like banlist for yugioh. hopefully i can get into modern pretty soon but im having a hard time with magic trading/selling its seems like the player base for mtg hardly trades at all i have a couple of rare cards that im trying to sell/trade but no1 in my area wants to trade or buy them (foil polluted deltas,soul fire grand masters) the best offer i had for polluted delta was 40 each. should i go about getting rid of these cards in a different way like using ebay or would it be more wise to hold on to them really in need for some extra cash to get nekroz for yugioh. my locals is having a PTQ this week for a spot on the pro tour with a round trip plane ticket do magic vendors come to events like this ? 

Yo guys, I've been thinking about getting into magic for a little while and watched a couple of videos and etc to see if I'd be interested (which I am). I was going to put together a Budget Sligh deck with a bunch of 1 and 2 drop reds and just go ham because it was going to cost me around $30USD for the whole deck (fuck Rubblemasters). Someone said above that it was a really bad deck to play at the moment, so does anyone have any other budget suggestions for just taking to my local Standard tournaments and getting a hang for the game? 

Thanks.

Darthflaw    124

You could try Mono B humans, which cashed this weekend's GP. It'll cost more than your $30 sligh deck since it plays Mires, Deltas and Thoughtsieze, but most of the deck is cheap.

14 Swamp

4 Bloodstained Mire

4 Polluted Delta

4 Bloodsoaked Champion

4 Tormented Hero

4 Mardu Shadowspear

3 Ruthless Ripper

4 Pain Seer

4 Mardu Strike Leader

4 Mogis's Marauder

4 Obelisk of Urd

3 Hero's Downfall

4 Bile Blight

SB: 1 Hero's Downfall

SB: 4 Herald of Torment

SB: 3 Murderous Cut

SB: 4 Thoughtseize

SB: 3 Ulcerate

rumple4skin    5

today is pro tour dragons of tarkir i was wondering what the format is because they are showing draft at the moment this is my first time watching a pro tour so any info would help

Dank Memeston    1716

They usually split it between draft/sealed and a constructed format. This time it is DTK draft and Standard.

TFJ    618
If ACP or someone could,

Can we get like an "Advanced/Interesting Ruling" pinned thread.
I don't know if it would be something to even have. But I mean their are imo some rules that would be good to know. But I don't see them compiled anywhere. There are also rules I want to check up on and such.

Like I thought you could Block, then use a Sacrifice ability of like Sakura Tribe. But I also think I remember that being overturned. The rulebook kind of says you still can though.
Maybe for you guys that is a basic ruling. But for people who don't play it isn't.

+Gojira    1706

abilities can go on the stack after blockers are declared, so yes that would work

TFJ    618
Right I googled it. It was some change where it ending deal damage if taken off the field.

But when I started I never knew I could sacrifice and block.

Manifestor    27

Hi guys,

A couple of my friends have switched from YGO to MTG a while ago and even though I've quit YGO a couple of years ago, MTG makes me wanna play cards again.

They play standard and run decks like Atarka Red, Jund Dragons, Esper Dragons and Temur Eldrazi. For now I'm running a G/R deck that's made of cards that they didn't use and cards that aren't standart anymore so I learned the basics of the game and now I'd like to build myself a proper standard deck so that I can actually compete with the guys and go to a tournament every once in a while.

I was looking at Red Mono/Aggro at first since the deck is fairly cheap and it can obviously compete somewhat but I don't really like the deck that much apart from the economical view. Now I'm looking at the B/W Warriors that made Top 16 at Somerset. I believe I could get the deck for a good price because I'm almost certain the guys I play with already have some of the components for it and they could help me get the rest but I don't want to jump at a deck too soon.

Do you guys think that's the way to go? I'm probably missing some other decent and affordable decks so any info would be much appreciated. :)

POLLUTEDxDELTA    1889

I'm pretty sure Atarka Red is strictly better than Mono Red, but then you are in fetch land territory, and not really on a budget anymore. I think it's best to bite the bullet and buy fetches. When you buy into tier 1, you know you have a chance to win your money back. With tier 2, you most likely won't, and your cards won't maintain value like fetches will. You seem to understand all this though, so I support you in taking the plunge.

• Upvote 1

sisicat    174

Atarka Red is also a good deck to teach you how to not miss points of damage.