Sign in to follow this  
ACP

Help me out a little

ACP    33418
I actually know how to play Pokemon TCG, but I really haven't played in the past (eight?) years. I actually think I posted a thread in here about a year ago about getting back into the game, which never actually happened. This time I'm doing it for real though! Sort of...

The only people who played pokemans locally are a bunch of >12 year old kids, and I don't really have the time to play competitively anyways. However, I happen to have 300+ codes for Pokemon TCG Online. This basically means that I can get lots of different packs to help me build a collection. Now here's the part where I need help. Which packs are the best value? Which ones have the staples, the most competitive cards, etc. There appear to be eight legal sets in modified right now, so it seems like I have a lot of different options.

I don't think the game is as big of a deal as MTGO for example (yet) but the interface is really nice and it gives me a chance to play the game on my own time while being a little competitive at the same time.

CheeseCake    2513
Lol, how did you get so many codes? I have friends that play this so I know that is a lot of fucking codes.

ACP    33418
Master, etc.
  • Upvote 6

mathematical    135
Trade your codes for the cards to build a good deck if you have 300+ you have enough to build a few decks. People in the trade section will give you virtual cards for x amount of codes depending on the card.

»neptune    3789
If you go to the official PTCGO site, you'll be able to trade the codes for good shit.

Usually most good cards cost 10-12 codes ea.

ACP    33418
I actually can't trade codes though, right? I would need to buy packs, and then trade the packs? Codes go for approximately $1 on eBay, etc. which makes them a good form of currency. However, packs retail IRL for $3, but they are available online for only $1. Wouldn't a lower price lead to a greater quantity of packs supplied on the online market, which would also lead to devaluing of singles since they are a related goods? /economics

TL:DR; It seems like trading 10 packs for a good single is a bad trade since packs are going for 1/3 of what they normally would should mean that the singles are worth about 1/3 as well.

mathematical    135
The online packs aren't like exact copies of real packs. there arent any ratios. You aren't even garunteed a rare I believe. so the packs themselves are actually super shitty. Its better to trade your codes for cards on the game or just sell your stack of codes for $$$ plain and simple. The singles are worth what they are on the game because they are actually harder to find.

ACP    33418
The ratios are exactly the same as irl.

mathematical    135
Are you sure? Doesn't seem like it at all. Sell them anyway cuz its shitty andnot fun to use ptcgo

ACP    33418
I started the thread by saying that I want to play. Telling me to sell them doesn't get me anywhere. As usual, DGz is being gay and cynical instead of trying to help people. I guess I'll just ask for advice somewhere else.
  • Upvote 1

ACP    33418
For anyone who cares, I decided to work my way towards a ReshiPlosion deck (seems like the safest choice). Lots of pack cracking and trading later, I'm 5 cards away from the deck (2x Typhlosion Prime, 1x Junk Arm, and 2x Pokemon Catcher). Getting the other Typhlosions could be a challenge, since it seems like no one has them for trade.

Div1nE    20
why not just sell the codes for money?

i tried getting into pokemon competitively right before the format switched to HG/SS on, however for me it just kind of seemed like hit and miss. the closest local to me was over an hour away, and since entry was free the prize support sucked.

i do like that the game has stuff like free entry into premier events, free (usable) promos, etc but unless the competitive scene gets bigger it doesn't appeal to me very much right now.

mathematical    135
[quote name='Allenpennington' timestamp='1323317454' post='3047605']I started the thread by saying that I want to play. Telling me to sell them doesn't get me anywhere. As usual, DGz is being gay and cynical instead of trying to help people. I guess I'll just ask for advice somewhere else.[/quote] I gave you help then gave my opinion

r3skyline    5
you should just visit pokebeach and pokegym. dgz wont help at all. there isnt much a community here when it comes to pokemon.

but to answer your original question, most staples are spread out. the worst pack tho, is emerging powers.

griggle.    182
People go nuts over boosters. It's easier to get cards by trading the codes, but then again it's fucking fun opening packs.