• Announcements

• rei

Battle of the Anime Characters   02/10/17

THE BATTLE OF THE ANIME CHARACTERS HAS BEGUN   Find it here http://duelistgroundz.com/index.php?/forum/615-battle-of-the-anime-x/
ACP

Limited Format Discussion

414 posts in this topic

All generic limited discussion (opinions on the format, I won X limited event, draft videos, etc.) can go here. I figured if we have a standard discussion and a modern discussion there should be a limited discussion as well.

What are some tips for deciding when to splash a third color when you don't necessarily need to, like in a draft, or when you do, like you might in sealed?

If you don't need to splash, don't splash. But I mean, if you happen to open up a Brimstone, and you've drafted very little removal, by all means take the volley. Outside of the obvious bombs like Olivia and Evil Twin, there's no real reason to be going out of your way to splash colors.

Removal or bombs are really the only reasons to splash. If you want to splash a mana to use certain Flashbacks, use Shimmering Grotto.

Is limited skillful or does luck play more of a role? In standard, I have done fairly well, but limited is where I struggle. I associate some of my losses due to mana screw or drawing bad, but sometimes I just face some weird ass decks/card choices that just get me. To me, it seems like there crazy strategy worked only because they drew every piece and if one wasn't part of the combo, it would fail. Am I being too stubborn with this viewpoint? Out of the 20 8-4 ISD drafts, i probably got packs in a 1/5 of them.

The drafting aspect is just as if not more important than playskill.

[quote name='Subway_Eat_Fresh' timestamp='1323757939' post='3051446']
Removal or bombs are really the only reasons to splash. If you want to splash a mana to use certain Flashbacks, use Shimmering Grotto.

Is limited skillful or does luck play more of a role? In standard, I have done fairly well, but limited is where I struggle. I associate some of my losses due to mana screw or drawing bad, but sometimes I just face some weird ass decks/card choices that just get me. To me, it seems like there crazy strategy worked only because they drew every piece and if one wasn't part of the combo, it would fail. Am I being too stubborn with this viewpoint? Out of the 20 8-4 ISD drafts, i probably got packs in a 1/5 of them.
[/quote]

Drafting definitely takes more time to learn how to do better in than playing in standard. Once you learn a set inside and out it gets easier, and the obvious things like signaling are important to be aware of. Obviously people can get lucky but you shouldn't just turn your shoulder to odd draft strategies. People favor certain cards rather than others, it's simply a matter of opinion. While the set's awesome and is great for drafting, it does have it's own inherent issues. Bomb mythic's/rare's aren't necessarily the greatest thing for drafting. It really does reward lucky players, but even more so good players.

Generally, the better your deck (and therefore picks) is, the less likely you are playing a 3rd color. There are exceptions though. For example, the last draft that I entered I won with GWr Travel Preparations just splashing 1 mountain to be able to use Daybreak Ranger's ability. This was my manabase...

9 Forest
5 Plains
1 Mountain
1 Gavony Township

(2 Caravan Virgil)

So this Saturday I'm going to enter the MTGO PTQ (which is about the worst EV possible, but whatever) which is sealed. I've never done sealed ISD, just draft. Any special tips or is it not that hard?

I hate sealed so much because it takes away from what makes draft so skillful.

Well yeah, that's the point. It's a completely different format. That's like saying "I hate constructed because it takes away from what makes draft skillful."

Rather than picking cards and then having a deck already built, you're told "build the best deck out of this pile of cards." Very rarely does a sealed pool build itself. In sealed, the emphasis is on deck construction.

Sealed is a ton of fun I have a ton of fun playing sealed events. Allen if u want help building ur deck or w/e on Sunday u should hmu on fb.

It's on Saturday, not Sunday. Am I already friends with you on fb?

[quote name='Allenpennington' timestamp='1323895765' post='3052604']
So this Saturday I'm going to enter the MTGO PTQ (which is about the worst EV possible, but whatever) which is sealed. I've never done sealed ISD, just draft. Any special tips or is it not that hard?
[/quote]
The format feels awfully fast compared to sealed from the last block lol. It's pretty decent, though. This is probably obv but removal is extremely important, the more the better. Splashing is definitely worth it.

I would be joining you on Saturday but my friends and I decided to go to the ptq in Columbus instead.

[quote name='Allenpennington' timestamp='1323895765' post='3052604'] Any special tips or is it not that hard?
[/quote]
open Bloodline Keeper

I'm actually not PTQing this Saturday afterall. I forgot that I have a GPT at my locals which seems a lot better. I'm probably going to the Christmas weekend MTGO PTQs though.

[quote name='Allenpennington' timestamp='1323981693' post='3053380']
I'm actually not PTQing this Saturday afterall. I forgot that I have a GPT at my locals which seems a lot better. I'm probably going to the Christmas weekend MTGO PTQs though.
[/quote]

GL with it. I got t8 at the GPT down by me last week. Lost in t8 to rdw.

I got my second gpt top 8 last week! It didn't have anything to do with the fact there were only 8 people lol.

Yeah, I'm expecting our GPT to be around 25-30 people (only because it's standard, otherwise I'd be smaller). I should be on lock for two byes either way due to PWPs, so no pressure.

Ours was fairly large, but so is our local scene. We got about 40 something people for the gpt, which was weird considering our locals is like 50+

3 Selholf Occultist
2 Darkthicket Wolf
1 Armored Skaab
1 Deranged Assistant
1 Ludevic's Test Subject
1 Manor Gargoyle
1 Mayor of Avabruck
1 Splinterfreight
1 Stitched Drake
1 Sturmgeist

2 Forbidden Alchemy
1 Caravan Vigil
1 Dream Twist
1 Gnaw to the Bone
1 Memory's Journey
1 Prey Upon
1 Runic Repetition
1 Silent Departure
1 Spider Spawning

7 Forest
7 Island
2 Swamp
1 Hinterland Harbor

Draft after I 3-3 dropped in the ptq saturday. I also had Blasphemous Act + Guttergrime in the side lol. Sadly lost in the second round, game one was the most epic game of magic I've ever played, then games 2 + 3 I lost to a quick Geist Honored Monk + Cobbled Wings lol, couldn't dig for Spawning fast enough.

I've been playing M12 drafts since I find they can be quite profitable with alot of cards being worth a fair amount of tix despite being 3rd to 4th picks, plus the format is pretty new player friendly.

I drafted this mono-black control deck

16 Swamp

1 Sorin Markov

2 Consume Spirit
1 Diabolic Tutor
2 Brink from Disaster
1 Call from the Grave
1 Smallpox
1 Mind Rot
1 Distress

2 Sorin's Thirst
1 Wring Flesh

3 Gravedigger
1 Drifting Shade
2 Warpath Ghoul
2 Child of Night
2 Devouring Swarm
1 Duskhunter Bat

You're right about one thing, core set drafts are always very new player friendly.

3 of my last 5 8/4s I've pulled a Garruk, including a foil. It's pretty nice.