ACP

Limited Format Discussion

Stratovarius    79

Played in one of the Oath LCQs. Wanted to get feedback on my choices based on my pool.

[spoiler]

cyYeJ9W.png

[/spoiler]

And I went with:

[spoiler]

7Ma9CH6.png

[/spoiler]

Kind of wanted to go with Warden/Baloth but wasn't 100%.

I think your RW is the right deck choice, but I would have gone with a couple of different card choices.  I don't like Retreat to Valakut or Stone Haven (thought it may be worth with Steward), and I'm pretty sure I'd run Hedron Archive over Seer's Lantern almost every time.  Something like:

- Lantern

- Retreat

+ Archive

+ Deathless Behemoth

---

I opened a sealed pool today in a League that I'm really not sure how to handle:

[spoiler]5ac0c0acf7f48013b18cd471e8cb7be7.png[/spoiler]

Thanks for the feedback. I might be wrong, but U/W seems like the correct choice here. Reflector Mage plus another way to cast Reality Smasher.

i'm loving this set so far, only lost 1/5 drafts i've played, liking how the focus has gone back to smaller creatures and more effective tempo/removal

Wiz Khalifta    74

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but are there any crash courses that I can soak up on getting better at draft/drafting SOI?  Or is the best way to learn is to watch people along the likes of Channelfireball draft.

I'm new to Magic. and have read most of the FAQ, but I"m trying to crash course into the competitive scene rather than just take it slow so-to-speak.

+Paraliel+    8023

Channel Fireball and Twitch streams of them drafting it is a good start.

NLM details how to get better at every draft from a how to approach it standpoint as well.

22 hours ago, EddPunzy said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but are there any crash courses that I can soak up on getting better at draft/drafting SOI?  Or is the best way to learn is to watch people along the likes of Channelfireball draft.

I'm new to Magic. and have read most of the FAQ, but I"m trying to crash course into the competitive scene rather than just take it slow so-to-speak.

http://www.channelfireball.com/tag/limited-set-review/

I disagree with a few things in here, i feel that he thought the set was slower at the time of writing, but its alright as a general guide.

Most of it is just knowing how to value cards, learn the cardpool and the general themes of the set. I learnt the most by just playing, if you are playing with decent people get their input on what you passed them.

some things to consider:
-blow outs (does the card cause a massive swing in momentum when dropped)
-how common is removal and how efficient is it
-what your getting passed and what you are giving to the people on your left, if you aren't getting passed anything in a colour don't be afraid to switch (a bit easier to read people atm with flip cards)
-your curve

also play mini-masters, its a good way to learn interactions. idk if many other places do it this way, but instead of shuffling lands in we just play with 2 packs and any card can be played face down as a all-coloured land. winner keeps all

stein_dragon    39

Currently 7-2 at GP London

Started out 2-2 with one bye and won out beating Petr Sochurek along the way with RW average stuff.

sideboarding was weird mostly bringing in built to last and hijack for things like skysoverign and gearhulks.

IMG_0163.JPG

• Upvote 2

»BoraxTheLean    7124
6 hours ago, stein_dragon said:

Currently 7-2 at GP London

Started out 2-2 with one bye and won out beating Petr Sochurek along the way with RW average stuff.

sideboarding was weird mostly bringing in built to last and hijack for things like skysoverign and gearhulks.

IMG_0163.JPG

Solid deck picture.

stein_dragon    39
13 hours ago, BoraxTheLean said:

Solid deck picture.

Yeah I think lsv would give it at least a 2 for effort

Edit: Pack 2 Pick 1 Dovin Baan, Pick 2 Confiscation Coup in draft 1 hope I can pull it off

Went 2-1 lost in round 1 to screw into flood should have gone 3-0 just need to run it back now

IMG_0165.JPG

Ended 11-4 lost last round getting flooded in all 3 games and ended up getting rolled

Last post tonight because I'm knackered played this sick GW deck should have been a 3-0 deck can't help the way I lost though

IMG_0166.JPG

• Upvote 3